PDA

View Full Version : Till what age will Duncan most likely play to?

007nites
01-19-2010, 05:14 AM
What age?

sonic21
01-19-2010, 05:18 AM
don't know how hold he is, but he'll stop playing after 2012 i think.

baseline bum
01-19-2010, 05:25 AM
36, since that's when his contract ends.

ezau
01-19-2010, 06:04 AM
duncan will still be a serviceable big man even in his late 30s. Then again, I don't want him to end up like Olajuwon. I want him to quit while still on top.

alchemist
01-19-2010, 06:26 AM
I think this is his last contract, he'll go out while putting up consistently respectable numbers and hopefully another ring or two.

exstatic
01-19-2010, 08:03 AM
Whatever age he is when his contract expires in 2012.

Chieflion
01-19-2010, 08:07 AM
I hope he plays until 2014, finishing his career at age 38, expanding his accomplishments. But I doubt it.

silverblackfan
01-19-2010, 08:26 AM
I hope he plays until 2014, finishing his career at age 38, exapnding his accomplishments. But I doubt it.

My thoughts also. I hope he stays on for another 2 years. He clearly has the ability to go as long as he wants with his skills and IQ. He will always be an impact player. Of course if he is not having fun anymore, that will be that.
Either way, it has been one hell of a ride for us Spurs fans.

Now, stop bringing me down with thoughts of Timmy retiring! :depressed

EmptyMan
01-19-2010, 09:32 AM
Duncan retiring is what will cause the end of the world in 2012 :depressed

urunobili
01-19-2010, 09:34 AM
2013 37 yo

Agloco
01-19-2010, 09:50 AM
37yo.

Spurs win the title in 2012 and convince Timmy to come back for one more run in defending the title. :hat

Summers
01-19-2010, 09:53 AM
36, since that's when his contract ends.

superjames1992
01-19-2010, 09:56 AM
My best bet is 36 since that's when his contract ends. He's having a lot of trouble with his knees now as it is and he doesn't seem like a guy who wants to play until he's barely able to anymore. I think he'd like to go out while he still has some ability left.

timvp
01-19-2010, 09:58 AM
I hope he plays as long as his health allows. "Legacy" is the most overrated thing in sports. A healthy TD will be an asset for a long while.

TDMVPDPOY
01-19-2010, 11:20 AM
he play pass kareems or the chiefs age...

elbamba
01-19-2010, 11:23 AM
Unless the Spurs are championship contenders and Tim is still in a key role, I do not see him playing when he no longer puts up double digit numbers for points.

MacGyver
01-19-2010, 11:54 AM
Man... I can't imagine he will retire some day. :depressed

Shifty
01-19-2010, 12:04 PM
Health is important but I see him sticking around as long as the Spurs are contenders. If they go back to the middle of the pack then he would have no reason to stay. However, having Timmy, even a very diminished one, automatically takes an otherwise average team into good one.

Libri
01-19-2010, 12:42 PM
Let's suppose that Tim is still producing consistent double-doubles when his contract expires and decides to resign for another year or two. How much of a drop should be expected from his salary?

ffadicted
01-19-2010, 12:58 PM
Broskis, 36 is the year Duncan hangs them up and solidifies himself as the greatest power forward ever with a championship!

Ed Helicopter Jones
01-19-2010, 01:24 PM
I've never heard Tim say he's retiring when his current contract ends. I think people assume he's only got a couple of 'great' years left. But with Duncan's style, he could be an impact player for years yet. Wasn't Kareem still put up solid numbers well into his 60s? Timmy could be the same kind of player.

Ed Helicopter Jones
01-19-2010, 01:26 PM
If athleticism were what kept Duncan in the NBA elite category, he'd of been retired a long time ago. News of his 2012 demise is premature, IMO.

duncan228
01-19-2010, 02:14 PM
I've never heard Tim say he's retiring when his current contract ends.

It's open for interpretation, take it as you will. From the beginning of this season:

"I've only got a couple years left in me," Duncan said the other day, stopping for a brief chat after the Spurs' opening practice of the season. "The history of basketball says that more than anything else.

"The window for me is closing," Duncan continued. "It's towards the end of my career, I have slowed down, all that stuff is true."

“I’m really excited for the season. I’ve got a couple of years still left in me and I want to end my career strong.”

I've thought that he'd retire at the end of this contract since he signed it. The tendonosis cemented it for me. It's not a matter of if he could play, we all know his game could hold up well. But I think he'll be done with the grind of the schedule, playing in pain. His family is young, he wants time with them. He's ridiculously competitive, I'm not sure how he'll cope with that if he's not playing. But I think he goes out while his game is still strong in 2012.

I hope I'm wrong.

z0sa
01-19-2010, 02:39 PM
In a couple of the spurs.com practice videos before the season, I remember him specifically stating he would "see what happens" when that time came. I honestly believe that he doesn't have a clue yet.

I think he's gone if the spurs

1) don't pass the second round in the next 3 years
2) are not clearly contending when his contract expires.

Otherwise, barring painful injury and/or just age catching up faster than we all imagined, I could see him going for a couple more.

The thing about Tim is that he's my favorite player, and he's never relied on his athleticism, pretty much the opposite for most of his career.. I could see him still being a 20/10 player at 36, but that's probably just me being a homer I know.. I also think the reffing frustrates him a lot.

SPURSGOAT
01-19-2010, 06:48 PM
I said 36 since that is when his contract expires and hopefully we will have won another championship before that time comes. I really hate thinking about that; the end of the Duncan era... I am just glad that I am alive to witness one of the all time greatest legends to ever play this game. Best PF ever.

Dex
01-19-2010, 06:49 PM
It's open for interpretation, take it as you will. From the beginning of this season:

I've thought that he'd retire at the end of this contract since he signed it. The tendonosis cemented it for me. It's not a matter of if he could play, we all know his game could hold up well. But I think he'll be done with the grind of the schedule, playing in pain. His family is young, he wants time with them. He's ridiculously competitive, I'm not sure how he'll cope with that if he's not playing. But I think he goes out while his game is still strong in 2012.

I hope I'm wrong.

It's going to be tough to go back to looking at a lineup sans-Duncan. It seems like just yesterday my Dad was telling me how the Spurs had a chance to pick up this "kid from Wake Forest" who was going to "change the franchise".

That's why I'm trying to enjoy these last two seasons as much as possible, even if they don't make it all the way. Cherish watching this great player while you still can, San Antonio.

But whenever Tim decides to hang them up, I'm sure we will both send him off with all of the honor and well-wishes he deserves. He has already done more for the Spurs franchise then anybody could've asked of any single player.

duncan228
01-19-2010, 07:20 PM
But whenever Tim decides to hang them up, I'm sure we will both send him off with all of the honor and well-wishes he deserves. He has already done more for the Spurs franchise then anybody could've asked of any single player.

He's been incredible to watch. He's never done anything but his best. He's left it all on the court. It's an honor to be his fan. I'll be miserable when he retires but I can only wish him the best. It's what he's given us.

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x282/duncan228/champion/228special.jpg

HarlemHeat37
01-19-2010, 07:23 PM
I agree that he'll probably play until the end of the contract, maybe an extra year after that..Duncan is one of the most competitive players in NBA history, but he doesn't strike me as a guy that is obsessed with his legacy like a Kobe or Shaq..

If he stays for longer, I think the guy will take the same route as Kareem and Karl Malone..his defense will continue to get worse, but I don't see his offense taking a significant drop..his J is at the best it's ever been at 50%, which is incredible and speaks volumes on his work ethic..his footwork is still one of the best, he still has a great technique..he's one of the better passing big men we've ever seen, which will allow him to play the high-post for a long time..

Thompson
01-19-2010, 10:19 PM
I wonder how long he'll play, and I also wonder if he'll take much of a pay cut to bring in other players (he's already given up a decent amount on his last extension).

I like to think if I were a player like Duncan I'd do a year or two at the vet minimum just to screw with the rest of the NBA. :lol