PDA

View Full Version : LOL racist Mike & Mike

I. Hustle
01-19-2010, 09:50 AM
That stupid Mike & Mike show might be in trouble. They must have been joking off air because when they came back on after a break yesterday the little guy said Martin Luther Coon um King Jr. day. LOL what an idiot. I hope he gets a bunch of bad exposure. LMAO

leemajors
01-19-2010, 09:51 AM
mike and mike really suck.

I. Hustle
01-19-2010, 09:54 AM
Yeah, that is why I think it's hilarious that he said that on air.

Pistons < Spurs
01-19-2010, 10:08 AM
I wasn't going to post on this at all, because I consider it the broadcasting equivalent of driving a few feet with your baby in a car seat on the roof of your car. It's scary, you certainly didn't mean to do it, and is the kid laughing? By now you may have heard that ESPN's Mike Greenberg tripped on his long, long tongue and made the most unfortunate of Martin Luther King Day gaffes, apparently saying "Martin Luther Coon Jr." when he meant "King."

Here's the video. Judge for yourself.

Hxi6oG23Xd8

Look, it happens so fast -- and he corrects himself in the same breath -- that one should probably just chalk it up to sun spots, or Monday morning. Irish cop: "Move along folks, show's over. Nothing to see here."

But then Greenberg issued a formal apology. Good going Mike; now the thing has weight. you've just made a non-story legit. "Gather around folks, show's just starting. Plenty to see here."

Greenberg, via ESPN MediaZone:

"I just came home from the Knicks game and found out about the mess that was created by my garbling a sentence on our show this morning; I apologize for not addressing it sooner.

And I'm sorry that my talking too fast -- and slurring my words -- might have given people who don't know our show the wrong impression about us, and about me.

I feel horrible about that, because nothing could be further away from who I am and what our show is about.

I would never say anything like that, not in public, or in private, or in the silence of my own mind, and neither would anyone associated with our show, and I'm very sorry that my stumble this morning gave so many people the opposite impression."

Last paragraph written by Paul Simon.

That Greenberg felt he had to address this is sad; and if ESPN pressured him to do it, that's sadder. What you've got here is a baby in a car seat in the middle of the road, and the baby is unharmed, and even giggling (see: Raising Arizona). Pick up little Nathan Jr. and move on, people.

http://outofbounds.nbcsports.com/2010/01/mike-greenberg-apologizes-for-saying-that-thing-he-didnt-say.html.php

Kermit
01-19-2010, 10:11 AM
So now a slip of the tounge makes you a racist. I guess he had better take those white sheets out of his closet and untie his noose.

timvp
01-19-2010, 10:53 AM
:lmao @ that video

resistanze
01-19-2010, 10:57 AM
People certainly have weird "slips"

Bukefal
01-19-2010, 10:57 AM
pff the overreacting is huge :lol

He didnt do anything. In the USA it is so drama, you really have to watch out every freaking word and letter you say, because someone might find it racist, even if it doesnt have anything to do with it. It's such a panic. Its overreacting. Im glad we dont have at in Europe, at least not yet, its getting here too more and more.

I. Hustle
01-19-2010, 10:59 AM
So now a slip of the tounge makes you a racist. I guess he had better take those white sheets out of his closet and untie his noose.

The Zimbabwe half of me is pissed and think they should string him up and make an example out of him. The Russian side of me though says it is just a slip up and he didn't mean for that to be said.

I honestly don't think he is racist but you know he was joking off air and now he is going to catch a shit storm. It's hilarious to me.

Bukefal
01-19-2010, 11:01 AM
The Zimbabwe half of me is pissed and think they should string him up and make an example out of him. The Russian side of me though says it is just a slip up and he didn't mean for that to be said.

I honestly don't think he is racist but you know he was joking off air and now he is going to catch a shit storm. It's hilarious to me.

:lol

boutons_deux
01-19-2010, 11:33 AM
National Association for the Advancement of Coon People should be contacting their employer.

lefty
01-19-2010, 11:42 AM
Coon James.

I'm the Coon of the world.

egtonecity
01-19-2010, 11:54 AM
I actually dont think he said coon. To me it sounds like he slurred King & Junior together by talking too fast ... He was probably gonna say Kunior, lol, but stopped himself mid sentence.

Its really funny either way!!! Poor guy.

I. Hustle
01-19-2010, 12:22 PM
http://i.cr3ation.co.uk/dl/s1/gif/mrtlol.gif

SenorSpur
01-19-2010, 12:41 PM
Hmmmm. Was this an honest mistake or a "freudian" slip of the tongue?

A history lesson for the uninformed, you should know that that racist "slur" of MLK's name was quite common in Southern vernacular back in the 60's. If you ever watch the History Channel's "KKK - A Secret History", you'll clearly see this slur being casually thrown around by racists. It was also bandied about, in written form on various protest signs.

Because Greeny is a jewish guy, whose ancestors have their own history of racial persecution and prejudice, I would find it strange if he engaged in that kind of off-colour humor, among friends an associates. Personally, I've certainly never heard that utterance from anyone I know, of any race, in casual or formal conversation. Yet, as we all know, there are a lot of people who talk one way among mixed company and another way amongst their racial peer group.

The fact is none of us know what was on Greeny's mind, at the time. Furthermore, none of us know whether he's ever engaged in the type of off-camera, off-colour humour that could easily explain such a slip of the tongue. Or if this was truly an honest mistake, the result of him talking too fast.

Therefore, I'm not going to crucify the guy over it. However, I'm also not so quick to look the other way and give him a pass, either. Let's just say I'm skeptical.

I. Hustle
01-19-2010, 12:48 PM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_462KFnMmBbk/SqcDg0W5eiI/AAAAAAAAB2c/W_GQpASoKCo/s400/Skeptical-Hippo_500x500.jpg

Whisky Dog
01-19-2010, 12:51 PM
This guy is too much of a pussy to spout something like that, even if he does say it to himself or other white Jew friends. It was an accidental slip buy damn funny he felt he had to apologize for it.

Of all the things to slip up on. Ha

spursncowboys
01-19-2010, 01:24 PM
race baiters. Too bad Mike feels the need to apologize for nothing that needs an apology.

benefactor
01-19-2010, 01:39 PM
I actually dont think he said coon. To me it sounds like he slurred King & Junior together by talking too fast ... He was probably gonna say Kunior, lol, but stopped himself mid sentence.

Its really funny either way!!! Poor guy.
This.

FkLA
01-19-2010, 01:39 PM
I dont ever listen to or watch that show, but how can you just consider that a simple slip up? I guess if a reporter say Allah bless the USA on 9/11 it will be a slip up as well.

I_Speak_4_Dallas_Fan
01-19-2010, 01:41 PM
Who gives a shit besides racist black people.

BRHornet45
01-19-2010, 01:57 PM
but yet Harry Reid can talk about "house Negros" and it is perfectly ok with MOST of the black community SIMPLY because he has a (D) next to his name. sons I am in the minority of brotha's who don't give a damn about this kind of crap.

JamStone
01-19-2010, 02:08 PM
That stupid jewrnalist.

I_Speak_4_Dallas_Fan
01-19-2010, 02:08 PM
You're a half brother you don't count.

BRHornet45
01-19-2010, 02:09 PM
You're a half brother you don't count.

son then why does Lord Barack count ?

nkdlunch
01-19-2010, 02:10 PM
Mike tried to play it incognegro

hater
01-19-2010, 02:17 PM
http://tysonjoe.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/meadow-vale-southern-fried-chicken.jpg

BlackSwordsMan
01-19-2010, 03:37 PM
god bless this white man not being scared of an inferior race

j.dizzle
01-19-2010, 03:47 PM
LOL at so many ppl in this country makin big deals out of the stupidest shit when there is a million bigger problems goin on.

SenorSpur
01-19-2010, 06:16 PM
Sure there are bigger problems going on. However, if you don't think race is STILL a polarizing subject, or that it continues to play an important part in decisions made in this country, you've been asleep at the wheel.

Off-color slip-ups and comments like this are part of the reason it doesn't go away.

Makes one wonder what was going through his mind that would've caused this sort of gaffe.

JoeTait75
01-19-2010, 06:31 PM
Makes one wonder what was going through his mind that would've caused this sort of gaffe.

Probably nothing worth talking about. Look, Mike Greenberg is a part of the mainstream news media, the biggest bastion of official political correctness in America (other than the universities.) He knows any comment or opinion construed as "racist," even one made in jest, would likely mean his livelihood. Why on earth would he go there?

And if it is a "Freudian slip," so what? We shouldn't be policing peoples thoughts anyway.

djohn2oo8
01-19-2010, 06:34 PM
LOL at so many ppl in this country makin big deals out of the stupidest shit when there is a million bigger problems goin on.

If Congress can go after steroids in baseball, we can dissect what someone says, by accident, or on purpose

SenorSpur
01-19-2010, 06:59 PM
Haha that reminds me of the time a couple years ago when the Dallas Cowboys radio play by play guy got tongue-tied trying to decide between using the term "kick" or "punt" and wound up saying "cunt" on the air.

Now that's funny

SpursNextRomanEmpire
01-19-2010, 07:27 PM
stupid

Banzai
01-19-2010, 07:34 PM
http://www.forumammo.com/cpg/albums/userpics/10062/10.gif (http://www.forumammo.com/cpg/albums/userpics/10062/10.gif)

jermaine
01-19-2010, 08:13 PM
I'm black let me say that first of all. Every morning I get up for work the first thing I do at 5am is turn my tv on Mike&Mike everyday. I don't think he's racist but he have had to say that a lot or be around people that do. You can't tell me that a slip of the tounge someone just happen to say a name racist people called MLK!
That's worse than a white kid trying to be hip an saying the N-word with the ER on the end of it trying to say it with the GA! I listen to that show until its time to go to work an then when I get in the car. I'm not going to stop cause of that.

Obstructed_View
01-19-2010, 08:46 PM
If he didn't call him Martin Lucifer Coon then he probably just garbled what he said. Bigots typically use his full slur name.

SenorSpur
01-19-2010, 08:51 PM
I'm black let me say that first of all. Every morning I get up for work the first thing I do at 5am is turn my tv on Mike&Mike everyday. I don't think he's racist but he have had to say that a lot or be around people that do. You can't tell me that a slip of the tounge someone just happen to say a name racist people called MLK!
That's worse than a white kid trying to be hip an saying the N-word with the ER on the end of it trying to say it with the GA! I listen to that show until its time to go to work an then when I get in the car. I'm not going to stop cause of that.

...and that's the point right there. Like Jermaine has stated, I listen to the show too and in no way do I don't believe Greeny is a racist. However, there are a lot of folks who are not racists, but participate in repeating racist jokes amongst one another. Obviously, they're intelligent enough to not repeat these when minorities are around.

Again, we don't know Greeny's intentions, but he said what he said. There's no way to soft-soak it or downplay it.

jermaine
01-20-2010, 07:18 AM
I'm listen to Mike&Mike this morning(like always) an he dosnt seem gipper like normal. I hope he don't let this stop him from cracking joke but then I don't blame him cuz if u say anything bout blacks everybody get hella sensative an all the Rev. Al Shapner come out an put you on blast. Lol. Its crazy because most of us make fun of whites, chinnese, mexicans, an our on race an say "I'm not racist" but if some other race do it we ready to cry an fight. That's sad an this world is to. 160,000 just die at one time an people in the states are still on little shit as small as cause my skin tone is different!(WAKE UP WORLD)

TheManFromAcme
01-20-2010, 07:54 AM
That stupid jewrnalist.

:lol