PDA

View Full Version : bad movie rental of the weekend

Blake
01-19-2010, 01:00 PM
Funny People sucked.

Two 1/2 hours of a plotless story with mild chuckles.

Judd Apatow and Seth Rogen might be the two most overrated dudes in Hollywood.

benefactor
01-19-2010, 01:12 PM
Indeed....

Well...I guess I am going to be the one to rain on this movie's parade.

With the exception of a few funny one-liners, I was pretty disappointed overall. This movie was a great idea on paper but was horribly executed by Aptow...in both the storyline and the comedy. As an old school Sandler fan, it was hard to see him subjected to Aptow's writing. He was basically reduced to a hundred penis jokes. It was funny the first few times, but after a while I found myself just rolling my eyes. Aptow relies heavily on the dialogue to carry this movie and I think that is where his biggest failure is, mostly because he seems to run out of ideas pretty quickly. He should have taken some notes from Sandler's movies and added more situational comedy and random characters. Sandler even made the romantic comedy bearable when he did 50 First Dates...and he achieved this with himself mixed with other great random characters(the tattooed cook at the diner, his man thing co-worker and his crazy, weed smoking friend). Aptow basically relies on Sandler, Rogan and Jonah Hill to do most of the heavy lifting with the dialogue he provided and after an hour or so they get pretty tired.

The story started off OK(with the exception of the completely unfunny standup routines) and Sander and Rogan actually had decent chemistry in this film. Where it dies is in the last half of the movie, as we spend over an hour at Sandler's ex's house. I don't know how else to say it, so I'll just say it...Eric Bana is not funny and was completely miscast for this film. The house sequence would have been much more bearable if they had used one of the guys from Sandler's previous movies as the husband. This whole scene drags out so bad that I wanted to just claw my eyes out. I almost left the theater because I was tired of waiting on the ending. It's really hard to put into words how poorly executed this part of the movie was. It was just a bad idea overall. I like the idea of Sandler reaching out to the ex, but it could have been made much more interesting. I would have liked to have seen Rogan, Sandler and Leslie Mann travel somewhere together and perhaps get themselves caught up in some different random situations.

The end was pretty cliche...with the inevitable split and reconciliation of Sandler and Rogan. It really is a shame that the writing wasn't better because as I said before, Rogan and Sandler had pretty good chemistry. I'd like to see them try it again with a better script.

Overall, there will be alot of 18-22 yr olds that will probably like this movie because of the countless penis jokes and overusage of the word fuck...and I don't really blame them because when I was that age I liked stuff like that. But when I was that age you also had really good comedies that didn't need an overload of any of that because the writing and characters were great. This movie is nothing more than an attempt at those movies without the substance.

Fpoonsie
01-19-2010, 01:21 PM
Yeah, it was awful. Saw it in the theater, actually, and was TERRIBLY disappointed.

The "funny people" weren't that funny or likeable, so I couldn't bring myself to care about them when they were going through their "unfunny" moments.

That, and Seth Rogan is no longer funny...at all.

lil_penny
01-19-2010, 02:16 PM
Adam sandler is garbage and has been garbage since billy madison and happy gilmore. No surprise this movie sucked ass just like his others

koriwhat
01-19-2010, 02:20 PM
movie sucked ass!

Whisky Dog
01-19-2010, 02:21 PM
F u, Sandler is great when he's in charge of the movie's direction.

Taco
01-19-2010, 02:23 PM
Funny People sucked.

Two 1/2 hours of a plotless story with mild chuckles.

Judd Apatow and Seth Rogen might be the two most overrated dudes in Hollywood.

Agree

CubanMustGo
01-19-2010, 02:38 PM
Adam sandler is garbage and has been garbage since billy madison and happy gilmore. No surprise this movie sucked ass just like his others

This