PDA

View Full Version : 48MoH: Better Winning Through Chemistry, A Spurs Perspective

Blackjack
01-19-2010, 03:13 PM
Better Winning Through Chemistry, A Spurs Perspective
by Jesse Blanchard

http://www.liveabovemediocrity.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/spurs0521.jpg

The Orlando Magic are reeling. After a tough loss to the Lakers last night the Magic have now dropped seven of their past nine games. What does this have to do with the Spurs? Well, among the contenders no one overhauled their roster over the summer more than Orlando and San Antonio.

That both teams have struggled to meet their high expectations, despite a general overall agreement that both teams feature better rosters, has brought up questions of chemistry. Over at TrueHoop, Kevin Arnovitz uses the Magic’s slide to explore these questions (http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/12370/better-winning-through-chemistry):

Keep reading → (http://www.48minutesofhell.com/2010/01/19/better-winning-through-chemistry-a-spurs-perspective/)

Bukefal
01-19-2010, 03:15 PM
Well, the chemistry seems to be there, except for Jefferson.

The Truth #6
01-19-2010, 08:10 PM
The Bobcats have chemistry just not enough talent. Our degrading talent level is probably more of a concern because the Spurs are almost always put together with chemistry in mind. Yeah, RJ doesn't have great on court chemistry, but a lot of the chemistry talk revolves around the players being friends off the court and then trusting each other on the court.

I don't see a lot of mistrust among the players. I see a lot of players showing wear. Of course the opposite interpretation is probably valid to some degree - the players need more time to get used to each other. However, how many times can Dice screw up a pass from Manu before one senses that maybe Dice just isn't as good or motivated anymore.

How many players are playing above expectations? Blair, Duncan, and Bonner? Possibly Hill and Mason, but not by much. Most others are playing below expectations.

At some point, I don't think all of this can be blamed on "chemistry".

pjjrfan
01-19-2010, 09:54 PM
Jefferson and the team have to find where he fits into this team, sitting him wouldn't help. I agree that he is not a systems guy like some of those comments on 48 mins. But then has Manu ever been a systems guy in our system. He gambles, he creates on the cuff, he does the unexpected, I'm not saying RJ should be doing this but he has to figure out what he does best for this team. That's what chemistry is all about. First and foremost a trust has to develop that everyone will do his job, then from there comes team play, and chemistry the kind that winds up with the Spurs holding up a trophy at the end of the season. I don't think the team trusts Jefferson as far as looking for him or knowing what exactly he is going to bring day in and day out. Bonner, Blair, Bogans, and especially Hill have already carved out a niche on the team as to what they will bring . I'm really hoping that McDyess will come around with his solid d and his jumper, an that Jeferrson will find his role and excel in it. The question however is just exactly what that is for Jefferson.

tomtom
01-19-2010, 10:01 PM
However, how many times can Dice screw up a pass from Manu before one senses that maybe Dice just isn't as good or motivated anymore.

To be fair Dice is primarily a pick and pop guy and many of those failed passes were for him to drive it which isn't his strong game.

The Truth #6
01-19-2010, 11:01 PM
These are all good points. I would add that some of the chemistry issues aren't just the new guys but some of the core reimagining their role, such as Manu focusing on passing.