PDA

View Full Version : Tyreke Evans Named in Wrongful Death Suit

Pistons < Spurs
01-19-2010, 05:27 PM
In the run-up to last year's draft, the sports world was stunned to find out that Tyreke Evans had been behind the wheel for a drive-by shooting. Even more shocking was the fact that the case had already gone to trial, with Evans never even charged. Wait, it gets worse -- teams knew all this, but were still lining up to pick him near the top of the lottery. Is there no justice on this planet? Are we truly facing the end of civilization?

Thankfully, the family of the victim has decided to name Evans in a wrongful death civil suit and maybe, just maybe, restore a little sanity to this world we live in. From The Sacramento Bee:

The civil suit was filed by the family of Marcus Reason, who was killed in a drive-by shooting in 2007. Evans' cousin, Jamar Evans, was sentenced to 9-20 years after pleading guilty last January to third-degree murder and weapons charges ... [The] Reason family is seeking damages in excess of $50,000.Tyreke Evans was driving the car but never charged with a crime. Authorities said Evans cooperated with the investigation.

Time to be serious about this. Here are the key facts: Evans cooperated, was open with teams, and never charged with a crime. I can repeat that, but I think you see my point. It's nuts that Tyreke could just be driving along, and then all of a sudden find himself sitting next to a guy busting off shots. But guess what? Really awful, unexpected, disturbing things happen in some places. I guess we can fault Evans for sitting in a car with someone who -- however abruptly -- committed a murder. Or growing up in neighborhood where drive-by shootings happen out of nowhere. But come on. There are real thugs in the NBA, charged with crimes, standing in front of judges. Tyreke Evans was in the wrong place at the wrong time.

That or the police are just totally corrupt in favor of the kids in the streets. Or -- since Evans was about to make it big -- holding out for a bribe from him. Can I get a witness?

Regardless, it'll be interesting to see how this lawsuit plays out. Civil courts are different than the criminal ones; anyone remember O.J. Simpson? So in theory, there could be differing judgments, and you can pick your favorite. But with Evans not even named in the criminal case, it's hard to see what grounds there are for his inclusion. Other than his contract, of course.

http://nba.fanhouse.com/2010/01/19/evans-named-in-wrongful-death-suit/

Allanon
01-19-2010, 05:30 PM
Stupid, stupid.

But driving is a lot less severe than shooting. Pay out a ton of money Tyreke and learn from your stupidity.

This is the year of guns in the NBA from El Mariachi, Agent 0 and now Drive-By Tyreke.

Time to bring back the Washington Bullets.

The Gemini Method
01-19-2010, 05:48 PM
I heard Gilbert Arenas was riding shotgun...

All jokes aside; I hope the family gets a little more compensation than the 50k they're asking for. I didn't know this happened, but when you're a potential moneymaker--there will be teams selecting or protecting you no matter the severity of the crime.

Bukefal
01-19-2010, 06:12 PM
Wrong place at the wrong time? :lol

Come on, you arent just being there, suddenly sitting in a car and the person next to you is saying: "hey lets do a drive by shooting!" .

He could think, and knew that he was participating. He was driving them to there and has helped them to shoot. Supposing he could think, yeah, I dont believe he is so dumb. He could also stop him. In a normal law system he would be charged

Of course, only if all this is true and not just some report for getting money now when he is rich. I wouldnt have expected that from Tyreke though.

noob cake
01-19-2010, 06:40 PM
Tyreke was actually the driver...:depressed

baseline bum
01-19-2010, 06:43 PM
Wow, that's fucked up. I don't know how you don't get charged as an accessory for something like that.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
01-19-2010, 07:35 PM
Allanon, you new sig is so wrong! Ugh! :vomit: KloM'benga I can see, but Klomar is just an ugly and unnatural pairing. BTW, I give them 2 years before a messy and Laker-imploding divorce involving Kloe, Pau Gasol, and a Macedonian goat. ;) :lol

As for Tyreke and the drive by, for the prosecutor to lay off him he/she must've been satisfied that Tyreke did not know what was happening before the fact, or some kind of deal was done.

Allanon
01-19-2010, 08:17 PM
Allanon, you new sig is so wrong! Ugh! :vomit: KloM'benga I can see, but Klomar is just an ugly and unnatural pairing. BTW, I give them 2 years before a messy and Laker-imploding divorce involving Kloe, Pau Gasol, and a Macedonian goat. ;) :lol

Yo Ruff. I can either laugh and joke about Klomar or I can "cry" about my favorite player hooking up with a dude. I think I'll go with the jokes and find excuses to sneak in Kim and Kourtney :lol

BlackSwordsMan
01-19-2010, 08:19 PM
ray lewis got away with murder

HarlemHeat37
01-19-2010, 08:53 PM
-It wasn't a drive-by..the car was parked, a group of them met up with the victim and Evans' cousin shot him..nobody knows what led up to it for certain, but that was the end result..Evans was waiting in the car the entire time, and then he drove off when his cousin went inside the car..natural reaction..it WASN'T drive-by..if it was and Evans was the driver, there's absolutely no way he wouldn't have seen jail time IMO..

-This suit happened after the family heard that Evans was in the NBA, so it looks bad on their part to bring this up now IMO..Evans will stay pay though IMO, just to keep the story away..

-The shooter is in jail..

-Evans co-operated with the cops, took polygraphs and he didn't protect his cousin here..

Generally in these types of incidents, the victim pretty much has it coming..it's very rare that an incident like this isn't provoked..speaking as somebody that grew up in that kind of environment, this isn't a big deal, and Evans shouldn't see any jail time at all..

thispego
01-19-2010, 09:16 PM
Wrong place at the wrong time? :lol

Come on, you arent just being there, suddenly sitting in a car and the person next to you is saying: "hey lets do a drive by shooting!" .

He could think, and knew that he was participating. He was driving them to there and has helped them to shoot. Supposing he could think, yeah, I dont believe he is so dumb. He could also stop him. In a normal law system he would be charged

Of course, only if all this is true and not just some report for getting money now when he is rich. I wouldnt have expected that from Tyreke though.
rofl, yeah because you know him personally?

you're saying it's not likely he was just driving with his cousin and his cousin pulled a concealed gun when he saw this kid Marcus Reason? I understand your point of view, being a foreigner, if a black person is involved they MUST be guilty, entirely or to some degree. :rolleyes