PDA

View Full Version : Spurs vs. Jazz Previews

duncan228
01-19-2010, 07:30 PM
Spurs try to solve Jazz (http://insider.justbet.com/nba/2010/01/spurs-try-to-solve-jazz/)
By Chico Rodriguez

The San Antonio Spurs will try to pick up their first win of the campaign against the Utah Jazz when they teams square off for the fourth time this season on Wednesday (9 pm ET, ESPN).

San Antonio is a 6-point home favorite in NBA Betting (http://www.justbet.com/?affid=WG2195&A=1618&B=0&T=I) at JustBet.

The Jazz have won all three meetings this season, including a 104-101 win the last time the teams met on Dec. 7. The Jazz covered as 2-point home favorites and the score went over the total of 194.5.

Utah’s wins earlier this season were Nov. 19 in San Antonio (90-83 as 5-point road dogs) and Nov. 5 at home (113-99 as a pick’em).

Over the past 10, however, the teams are both 5-5 straight up and against the spread.

The Jazz had a four-game win streak snapped Sunday when they lost 119-112 against Northwest division rival Denver Nuggets. The Nuggets were 7-point favorites and the score went over the total of 212.5.

And the Spurs beat the New Orleans Hornets 97-90 as a 1-point road favorite on Monday. The score slipped under the total of 189.

Utah is 23-18 straight up and 23-16-2 against the point spread this season. San Antonio is 25-15 straight up and 21-18-1 against the spread.

The Jazz are 9-9-1 ATS on the road while the Spurs are 13-9-1 ATS at home.

Despite not being able to solve the Jazz so far this season, the Spurs lead in just about every startistical category, including points-against (95.4 to 97.3).

On the injury front, Spurs forward Richard Jefferson is day-to-day with a sore back.

duncan228
01-19-2010, 07:30 PM
Utah Jazz: team has struggled while on the road (http://www.deseretnews.com/article/705359415/Utah-Jazz-team-has-struggled-while-on-the-road.html)
Victories away from home have not been plentiful for Jazz
By Tim Buckley
Deseret News

SAN ANTONIO — As the Jazz prepare to embark on the second half of their 2009-10 NBA season, coach Jerry Sloan has a checklist of items he insists are necessary to take on the trip.

First, and perhaps foremost: Victories away from home.

The Jazz finished the season's first half with a loss Sunday night at Denver, dropping their overall record to 23-18 — and just 7-12 on the road.

With the second half getting under way with Wednesday night's visit to San Antonio, and 22 games away from EnergySolutions Arena still to go among the 41 remaining, they haven't managed to muster even as many as two straight road victories at any point this season.

"We need to figure out some way to win more games on the road," Sloan said. "That's one of the biggest things.

"If you are going to be in the playoffs and you aren't gonna have homecourt advantage," he added, "you better figure out how to win some games on the road."

And as things stand now — if they indeed get there — the Jazz are far from being in position for holding homecourt advantage in any postseason series.

"We'd always like to be better than we are right now," said point guard Deron Williams, who along with the rest of the Jazz woke up on the first morning of the season's second half for them sitting seventh in the NBA's Western Conference. "You know, you don't want to be sitting in the seventh spot. But there's a lot of basketball left."

There is, and with that in mind Sloan has a broader wish list, too, for the second half.

"Hopefully stay together, and play better on the road … and be in every game we play in," he said. "We've had those opportunities. We just haven't been able to finish them."

More specifically, though, Sloan wants a team willing and able to rebound from its lows.

"It's not whether you get beat or not, because you're gonna lose games in this league, you're gonna lose in life some," he said. "But it's how you fight back. You can curl up in the corner in the fetal position and say, 'This is too tough for me,' but that's not what people respect."

The cohesion issue is especially critical, suggested Sloan, who readily acknowledges the roller-coaster nature of his club so far this season.

They had one stretch starting in November with victories in seven of eight outings, had a season-high-matching four-game win streak before losing Sunday to the Nuggets and have registered victories over the likes of longtime nemesis San Antonio (three times already), Portland, Orlando, the Los Angeles Lakers, Dallas and, just last Thursday, LeBron James and the Cleveland Cavaliers.

Yet they've also fallen to lowly Minnesota (twice), Sacramento and Memphis, among others.

"We've had some ups and downs, had some injuries and things," said Sloan, who also bemoaned a few close losses because the Jazz "couldn't finish." "But the most important thing: We've kind of stayed together.

"The group's been together, pretty much, through all of that. And hopefully we can stay healthy and see what happens. We can't do anything about (injuries), but, still, the job is to try to win when guys are not able to play."

By 'stay together,' Sloan means to remember that "When you get out on the floor, you can't do it by yourself."

"We all sometimes think," he added, "we have to be the guy that makes the shot, instead of making the extra pass. And I've always thought making the extra pass makes people happier."

Coaches too, especially when they come on the road.

Bukefal
01-19-2010, 08:03 PM
We'll win it.

TP and TD on fire.

Spurs 98
Jazz 93

siraulo23
01-19-2010, 08:55 PM
On the injury front, Spurs forward Richard Jefferson is day-to-day with a sore back.

Good news :tu

Chieflion
01-19-2010, 09:05 PM
Last meeting with the Jazz. Just get this over with.

duncan228
01-19-2010, 09:07 PM
20 turnovers, Karl on the Jazz and Boozer defends Okur (http://www.deseretnews.com/blog/18/10008036/Utah-Jazz--NBA-blog-20-turnovers-Karl-on-the-Jazz-and-Boozer-defends-Okur.html)
Tim Buckley
Utah Jazz beat writer

SAN ANTONIO — The Jazz flew from Denver here to San Antonio on Monday, one restful night's sleep after their ESPN-televised loss to the Nuggets that snapped a four-game Utah win streak.

They practiced this morning at Trinity University here, an NCAA Division III school with some of the most impressive athletic facilities as any of the small colleges that the Jazz tend to like to practice at when they're on the road.

And they have an important game coming up Wednesday night against the Spurs, another ESPN-televised affair, this one in which a win would give Utah a rare season-series sweep over San Antonio.

Even with all that hanging overhead, however, the memory of 20 turnovers committed in Denver seemed to be fresh today on the mind of coach Jerry Sloan.

Part of the problem, Sloan suggested, was how the Nuggets were able to defend the Jazz when Utah didn't have bona fide outside shooting threats on the Pepsi Center floor

"When we had guys on the floor that shot the ball out of the corners, they couldn't pack it in as much as when we had a little better opportunity to get something going,'' he said. "Those are things that seem simple, but you have to make shots. Otherwise, they don't even guard you.''

X X X

It wasn't by coincidence, by the way, that the Nuggets scored 119 — highest point total by a Utah opponent this season — and ran like they did in Sunday's win.

"I don't think anyone wants to play Utah straight up, 5-on-5,'' Denver coach George Karl said. "That is not the most advisable thing to do. They have been a machine, and years Sloan's offense has been incredibly efficient.

"We knew we could turn them over,'' Karl added, "which was a big reason we won (earlier this season) in Utah.''

X X X

And finally, Jazz forward Carlos Boozer came to the defense today of starting center Mehmet Okur, the subject of Wednesday's advance story in the newspaper prior to Utah playing the Spurs.

"I wouldn't say his numbers are down like 'he's not playing.' I think Memo's playing great,'' Boozer said. "You know, he has a tough job of guarding centers in the NBA and he has that same responsibility to come out and score points for us.

"He's our best 3-point shooter and he plays the center position,'' Boozer added, "so in my opinion I think he's playing great. I think he's gonna play even better. … I've been with him for six years, and I'm proud to be with him for six years.''

ffadicted
01-19-2010, 09:11 PM
Ummm... honestly, I think the spurs lose this one, but I really really really really really really really really really want them to win and not get swept by Karl Malone and John Stockton

ElNono
01-19-2010, 09:36 PM
It would be good if we stop making Boozer look like Kareem and for one game Tony outplays DWill... Also Okur cannot possibly drive around people and finish at the basket. Just keep him in the perimeter shooting contested threes and we'll be ok.

timaios
01-19-2010, 09:37 PM
Ummm... honestly, I think the spurs lose this one, but I really really really really really really really really really want them to win and not get swept by Karl Malone and John Stockton

This year we can't predict any outcome, because we don't know if Tony or Manu or RJ (if he plays) will be in a good day.

I expect everything, good or bad, before each game starts.

The only sure thing is Tim and his 20-10 games... most of the time.

duncan228
01-20-2010, 12:04 AM
Utah (23-18) at San Antonio (25-15) (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/preview?gid=2010012024&prov=ap)
Game info: 9:00 pm EST Wed Jan 20, 2010
TV: ESPN, FSSW
By Matt Becker

After dominating the series with the Utah Jazz for the past decade, San Antonio has found itself on the losing end of each meeting this season. The Spurs hope to attribute those defeats to part of their slow start.

Meeting for the first time in more than six weeks, San Antonio opens a season-high six-game homestand Wednesday night trying to avoid being swept in a season series by the Jazz for the first time in 16 years.

San Antonio (25-15) took all three games from Utah in 2008-09, and entered this season winning 29 of the previous 35 meetings, but things have not gone smoothly so far.

The Spurs have already lost twice in Utah, and their 20-game home winning streak over the Jazz (23-18) that dated back to Feb. 28, 1999 ended with a 90-83 defeat on Nov. 19.

The Spurs have obviously struggled with the Jazz, who haven’t swept the season series since winning all five meetings in 1993-94, but San Antonio also had problems with several other teams in the early portion of its schedule.

With a 104-101 loss at Utah on Dec. 7 in the most recent meeting, the Spurs dropped to 9-9 and fell to ninth in the Western Conference. San Antonio’s typically stingy defense was allowing an average of 97.1 points, and injuries to Tim Duncan, Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili slowed the offense.

Although Parker is still bothered by a sore back, the defense is playing much better.

San Antonio has won 16 of 22 games since then to move into fourth place in the West. The defense is allowing an average of 94.0 points in the last 22, and has held three of its last five opponents at home to 85 points or fewer.

Now, San Antonio will try and slow down Utah’s red-hot offense.

The Jazz shot 51.9 percent Sunday at Denver, but failed to get many stops on defense and lost 119-112 to snap a four-game winning streak. Utah is still averaging 110.0 points on 51.8 percent shooting - including 45.9 percent from beyond the arc - in its last five games.

Deron Williams led the Jazz with 23 points and 12 assists Sunday, and is averaging 21.7 points on 54.0 percent shooting against the Spurs this season.

Although the Jazz ended their long skid in San Antonio, they haven’t had much success on the road lately, losing eight of 12.

The Spurs, meanwhile, have won nine of 11 at the AT&T Center.

San Antonio concluded a four-game road trip with a 97-90 win over New Orleans on Monday. Parker showed no signs of his ailing back, finishing with 25 points after being held to four on 2 of 8 shooting in Saturday’s 92-86 loss to Memphis.

“I’m in surviving mode. It’s tough,” said Parker, who is averaging 21.5 points in two games against Utah this season. “I can’t look at myself in the mirror and say I can’t play. It’s just like nagging injuries. … It’s good days and bad days. I felt pretty good (Monday).”

Duncan added 21 points and 14 rebounds against the Hornets, and needs just 15 points to become the seventh active player with at least 20,000.

The 11-time All-Star has scored at least 15 points in all three games against the Jazz, and had 23 with 11 boards in the last game against them.

Team Stat Leaders

Tim Duncan SA 20.0

Rebounds
Carlos Boozer Uta 10.6
Tim Duncan SA 10.4

Assists
Deron Williams Uta 9.6
Tony Parker SA 5.6

duncan228
01-20-2010, 12:23 AM
Jazz look to sweep Spurs (http://www.sltrib.com/jazz/ci_14225131)
By Ross Siler
The Salt Lake Tribune

San Antonio » From April 15, 2000 until Jan. 10, 2005, the San Antonio Spurs beat the Jazz 18 consecutive times, including four consecutive season-series sweeps. By some small measure, the Jazz have the chance to return the favor tonight.

After ending a decade-long, 23-game losing streak in San Antonio on their last trip Nov. 19, the Jazz can sweep the season series from the Spurs with a victory tonight for the first time since 1993-94 and for just the second time ever.

The Jazz, however, know that the Spurs are a different team than the one they beat three times in the season's first six weeks. Their 90-83 victory at AT&T Center in November came with the Spurs missing Tony Parker (ankle) and Manu Ginobili (groin).

"They've got a veteran team that knows how to play and knows how to win, and if they get everything going, they're a very good basketball team," Jazz coach Jerry Sloan said before practice here at Trinity Unversity.

"They could weather some of those things," Sloan added of the Spurs' slow start, "because they know they've got the ability to be able to come back and win on the road or win wherever they go."

Helping hand

Carlos Boozer and Ronnie Brewer both made donations to an athletes relief fund co-founded by Alonzo Mourning and Dwyane Wade in the wake of last week's devastating earthquake in Haiti.

Boozer donated $10,000 and said the earthquake hit close to home as a Miami resident in the offseason. "One of my wife's best friends is Haitian and she can't get a hold of her cousin who lives over there," Boozer said.

No longer atwitter

Deron Williams shut down his Twitter account (@D_will_8_4real) Tuesday, with Williams and his representatives at McClaren Sports focusing their efforts on the launch of deronwilliams.mobi.

Williams is the first NBA athlete to work with a Plano, Texas, company that has developed technology compatible across all smartphone platforms. The hope is to expand the reach of deronwilliams.com to anyone with an Internet-enabled cell phone.

Standings crunch

The Jazz went into Tuesday one of six teams separated by just two games and fighting for playoff position in the Western Conference. If the playoffs started today, Phoenix, Houston and Oklahoma City would be in, while Utah, Memphis and New Orleans would be out.

"That's how it's been the last couple years," Williams said. "I think it's even tougher this year because there's like two of three more young teams that are creeping up there. ... We can't afford to have any losing streaks now. We've got to put together winning streaks."

Briefly

Dick Vitale will serve as analyst on the ESPN broadcast tonight as part of an announcer swap in which Mark Jackson and Jeff Van Gundy will call a college game and Vitale an NBA game.

Jazz at San Antonio
At AT&T Center

Records » Jazz 23-18, San Antonio 25-15

Last meeting » Jazz won 104-101 on Dec. 7

Line » Spurs by 5

About the Jazz » The Jazz have beaten San Antonio three times already this season, but the Spurs have won 16 of 22 games since their Dec. 7 loss in Utah . ... Deron Williams should have the benefit of two days' rest for his still-injured right wrist. Williams wore a brace on the wrist at practice Tuesday. ... Kyle Korver had a season-high 19 points and hit four three-pointers in Sunday's loss to Denver.

About the Spurs » Richard Jefferson's availability is uncertain after his streak of 232 consecutive starts came to an end as he sat out Monday's victory over New Orleans with back spasms. ... Battling plantar fasciitis in his left foot, Tony Parker still led the Spurs with 25 points against the Hornets and Chris Paul . ... Tim Duncan needs 15 points tonight to become the 35th player in NBA history to reach 20,000 in his career. ... The Spurs lead the NBA in averaging 41.8 points a game from their bench players.

duncan228
01-20-2010, 12:33 AM
Wednesday: Jazz (23-18) at Spurs (25-15) (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/Wednesday_Jazz_23-18_at_Spurs_25-15.html)

Time: 8 p.m.
TV: FSNSW, ESPN
Radio: WOAI-AM 1200, KCOR-AM 1350

STARTING LINEUPS
POS - SPURS - JAZZ

PG - 9 Tony Parker (6-2, 9th yr) - 8 Deron Williams (6-3, 5th yr)
Battle of the wounded: Parker playing with sore foot; Williams sore wrist.

SG - 10 Keith Bogans (6-5, 7th yr) - 9 Ronnie Brewer (6-7, 4th yr)
Bogans broke 4-of-25 stretch with 8-of-14 past two games.

SF - 24 Richard Jefferson (6-7, 9th yr) - 47 Andrei Kirilenko (6-9, 9th yr)
Jefferson snapped 232-game start streak vs. Hornets, remains day-to-day.

PF - 21 Tim Duncan (6-11, 13th yr) - 5 Carlos Boozer (6-9, 8th yr)
Boozer averaging 24 points, 10.7 rebounds vs. Spurs this season.

C - 45 DeJuan Blair (6-7, 1st yr) - 13 Mehmet Okur (6-11, 8th yr)
Blair has hit double digits in rebounding three of past four games.

SPURS RESERVES

15 Matt Bonner, C/F, 6-10, 6th yr
22 Marcus Haislip, F, 6-10, 4th yr
3 George Hill, G, 6-2, 2nd yr
20 Manu Ginobili, G, 6-6, 8th yr
8 Roger Mason Jr., G, 6-5, 6th yr
34 A. McDyess, F, 6-10, 15th yr
42 Theo Ratliff, F/C, 6-10, 15th yr

JAZZ RESERVES

15 Sundiata Gaines, G, 6-1, 1st yr
25 Kyle Korver, G/F, 6-7, 7th yr
41 Kostas Koufas, C, 7-0, 2nd yr
23 Wes Matthews, G, 6-5, 1st yr
34 C.J. Miles, G, 6-6, 5th yr
24 Paul Millsap, F, 6-8, 4th yr
17 Ronnie Price, G, 6-2, 5th yr

COACHES
Spurs: Gregg Popovich
Jazz: Jerry Sloan

INJURIES

Spurs: Michael Finley (sprained left ankle) is out. Jefferson (back spasms) is questionable.
Jazz: Kyrylo Fesenko (left ankle sprain) is out.

PROJECTED INACTIVE PLAYERS

Spurs: Ian Mahinmi, Malik Hairston, Finley.
Jazz: Fesenko.

NOTABLE

Spurs open five-game homestand against only team to beat them three times this season. Utah has already clinched first season-series victory over Spurs since 1997-98 and is looking for its first season sweep since 1993-94. ... Spurs hold highest winning percentage of any team against Sloan (.574). ... This marks start of Spurs' final multi-game homestand until March 24 and 26.

- Jeff McDonald

Spursmania
01-20-2010, 12:33 AM
Spurs aren't losing this game.

timtonymanu
01-20-2010, 03:13 AM
Im still shocked how the spurs managed to let utah beat them 3 times this season. then again the jazz caught the spurs when the spurs couldnt do jack against .500 teams.

Manu-of-steel
01-20-2010, 07:47 AM
I expect the spurs to win on this one. I think with the return of manu and tony on the line up, we'll have a very good chance of beating this jazz team which is not playing good in road games.

shelshor
01-20-2010, 10:35 AM
Referee Assignments
Wed. Jan 20
Utah @ San Antonio: Eddie F. Rush; Mark Lindsay; Michael Smith

duncan228
01-20-2010, 01:17 PM
Spurs hope to save face vs. Jazz (http://www.seattlepi.com/scorecard/nbanews.asp?articleID=164470)

The San Antonio Spurs open a season-long six-game homestand tonight hoping to avoid a season sweep at the hands of Western Conference rival Utah.

The Spurs have typically dominated Utah but have already lost twice this season in Salt Lake City and saw their 20-game home winning streak over the Jazz that spanned back to the last century -- Feb. 28, 1999 -- come to an end with a 90-83 setback on Nov. 19.

The Spurs, who trail the Dallas Mavericks by just 1 1/2 games in the Southwest Division, finished a four-game road trip in positive fashion on Monday in New Orleans when Tony Parker, despite a balky back, poured in a game-high 25 points, as San Antonio held off the New Orleans Hornets, 97-90.

Tim Duncan added 21 points and 14 rebounds for the Spurs, who ended the trek with a 2-2 mark. George Hill donated 16 points and six rebounds, while Manu Ginobili tallied 11 points, six boards, and six assists off the bench for the victors.

"It feels good to go on the road and win a game against a good team and that's what we did today. They brought it back and we were turning it over; we had four straight turnovers, so you've got to go ahead and give them credit for it," Spurs head coach Gregg Popovich said.

The Jazz, meanwhile, opened a brief two-game road trip in the Rocky Mountains on Sunday by dropping a 119-112 decision to Denver. Carmelo Anthony scored 29 of his 37 points in the second half in that one, powering the Nuggets.

Kyle Korver sparked the Jazz off the bench with 19 points but it wasn't enough for a season-high fifth straight win. Carlos Boozer ended with 18 points and 13 rebounds, and Deron Williams logged 23 points and 13 assists in defeat.

"We played uphill after getting down 13 in that second quarter," Williams said. "It's always tough to do against a team like this. It's hard to fight back. You can get it close, but it's tough to take that lead."

Spurs Brazil
01-20-2010, 01:36 PM
DAMN, E.Rush again

Taco
01-20-2010, 02:04 PM
Jazz look to sweep Spurs (http://www.sltrib.com/jazz/ci_14225131)
By Ross Siler

Briefly

Dick Vitale will serve as analyst on the ESPN broadcast tonight as part of an announcer swap in which Mark Jackson and Jeff Van Gundy will call a college game and Vitale an NBA game.

Dickie V?
"Are you serious?"
"It's Awsome Baby"

Blackjack
01-20-2010, 03:14 PM
Preview: Spurs vs. Jazz (http://www.48minutesofhell.com/2010/01/20/preview-spurs-vs-jazz/)
by Jesse Blanchard

http://media.lunch.com/d/d7/176655.jpg

It’s Spurs vs. Jazz. Tony Parker vs. Deron Williams. Tim Duncan vs. Carlos Boozer. And more importantly, two prominent members of the All-Frank Lloyd Wright Team, Gregg Popovich and Jerry Sloan, facing off. It’s going to be Prime Time pandemonium, baby!

Did I mention that, in a bit of a fun experiment, Dick Vitale will be providing the color commentary for tonight’s game on ESPN? While I’ll try and refrain from writing in all caps letters, as a tribute to tonight’s special event let’s preview this thing with a little Dickie V style in the mix (http://www.dickvitaleonline.com/about-dickieglossary.html).

The Jazz come into the AT&T Center trying to sweep the season series, notably winning for the first time ever in the AT&T Center on Nov. 19. The matchup has been an M&Mer so far this season, baby! Utah has been the beast of the boards in the matchup this year, helping the Jazz score half their points in the paint.

Of course, the Spurs have since injected a promising young member of the All-Windex Team into their starting lineup: Diaper Dandy Human Spaceship DeJuan Blair, baby! Whenever the kid has gotten some Q.T. he’s proven to be a P.T.P’er.

When the Spurs last played the Jazz on Dec. 7 they hit the nines and not in a good way, dropping to 9-9 which was good enough for ninth in the Western Conference at the time. Popovich, a Michelangelo of his time, had trouble finding the right combination of paints. Moving players in and out of the lineup, before everyone fell into their roles when Blair was named a starter.

Richard Jefferson remains day-to-day with back spasms, but some would say he’s been day-to-day the entire year. One of the all-time great Arizona Skywalkers, RJ has only offered the occasional Dipsy-doo Dunk-a-roo and has largely been a Dow Joneser, MIAer.

If the Spurs hope to avoid the brooms, they have got to slow Deron Williams, a surf and turfer. Williams in the pick and roll has been a problem for the Spurs since the loss of Mr. Pac Man, Bruce Bowen.

And what preview would forget to include Tim Duncan? Mr. Fundamental himself. HE’S GOLDEN BABY! (Sorry, couldn’t resist) Only 15 points until he hits the milestone 20,000 for his career. Be there if you can, just don’t expect to be able to call anyone to tell them about it (http://www.saltcityhoops.com/?p=597).