PDA

View Full Version : Chicago Bulls dynasty favorite memories

ChrisRichards
01-20-2010, 01:20 AM
Will there ever be a camaraderie like Jordan and Pippen again?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjYszEJslMU&feature=channel

These two guys love,respect and made each other a winner. I think the best thing about this duo was that MJ and Pip sincerely had a brotherhood relationship going on. For the greatest player in the game to say "he's the main reason why I came back" and "To play without him, is like a slap in the face" is the greatest compliment any player could have.

I miss the 90's when the Bulls were dominating. I remember when Rodman went for a loose ball foul and the city of Chicago erupted

http://www.grokdotcom.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/rodman1.jpg

MJ's flu game

http://i.cnn.net/si/multimedia/photo_gallery/0706/gallery.nba.top10.game.fives/images/05.1997.bulls.jordan.pippen.jpg

list can go on and on...

Amuseddaysleeper
01-20-2010, 01:33 AM
Jordan and Pipper weren't nearly as tight as people think.

Who can ever forget Pippen's "I was better than MJ" comments. They barely spoke after Jordan retired in '98

hitmanyr2k
01-20-2010, 01:53 AM
My favorite dynasty moment still remains John Paxson raining jumpshots at the end of Game 5 to seal the Bulls 1st NBA championship. When the ball left his hand you knew it was going in.

baseline bum
01-20-2010, 01:54 AM
I gotta go with Jordan scoring 4 points and getting a steal in the last 41 seconds of game 6 of the 98 Finals, right after Stockton buried a dagger three that looked like it was going to take the series for them (no way Pippen was playing any game 7).

I'll never forget the helpless look on Malone's face as he fell to the ground when Jordan stripped him.

ezau
01-20-2010, 02:52 AM
God I miss the 90s.

MiamiHeat
01-20-2010, 04:48 AM
Average player salary in the 90's was like 1-4 mil.

MJ started earning big money only around 97-98.... MJ is the main reason players are earning dirty big money contracts nowadays.

perhaps the huge contract was a negative part of Jordan's legacy. Gave our current NBA Players contracts that coddle them way too much.

When players have to live on a salary of 1 mil a season, they seem to be more hard working and down to earth.

I bring this up because NBA players today are a bunch of pussies. Bring them back down to earth.

ezau
01-20-2010, 05:23 AM

MJ started earning big money only around 97-98.... MJ is the main reason players are earning dirty big money contracts nowadays.

perhaps the huge contract was a negative part of Jordan's legacy. Gave our current NBA Players contracts that coddle them way too much.

When players have to live on a salary of 1 mil a season, they seem to be more hard working and down to earth.

I bring this up because NBA players today are a bunch of pussies. Bring them back down to earth.

I agree with this

TheManFromAcme
01-20-2010, 06:56 AM

Good point Miami. Agreed.

admiralsnackbar
01-20-2010, 09:03 AM

I used to disagree with the argument that players should earn what they used to, thinking that the players were now just making salaries commensurate with the earnings they made their owners. Now I see the owners never gave up any of their earnings to accommodate their players' salaries, and only raised ticket and concession prices for the fans.

It kills a sport's soul when the only people who can afford to get good seats are businessmen and well-to-do families: just look at how quickly the fan base of baseball -- and to a lesser extent, football -- has died off over a generation.

XFactor
01-20-2010, 10:54 AM
My favorite moments:

1991: Never forgot the time when they won the ECF and the Pistons just walked off the court without shaking hands. Just looking at MJ standing there as they walked past them.

1992: The epic 2nd round series with the Knicks. There was a fight/scuffle every game. They were on each others skin the entire series.

1993: Paxson's 3 in game 6 NBA finals to win the game

1994: I remember watching the Knicks beat the Bulls in the playoffs and all I was thinking to myself is I wish Jordan was still here, they would have beat them.

1995: I got a call from my friend saying he heard on the news that Jordan was comming back and I was like NO EFFING WAY!! I was playing a basketball game and immediately stopped playing and went home to watch the news.

1996: 72-10

1997: Jordan's Flu Game/ Game 1 Buzzer Beater/ Pippen's steal in game 6 to seal the win

1998: The final minutes of game 7 of the ECF vs Pacers. I have never felt so nervous and scared watching those final minutes. The Pacers literally went down to the final minute before the Bulls ran away with the win.

scanry
01-20-2010, 11:10 AM

You're partly wrong MH, Kevin Garnett's contract was the reason MJ's agent demanded big $$$ for the 1997-1998 season.

MJ was going to get paid regardless for the 1996-1997 season for what he had done for the franchise, but the T'wolves giving Garnett a $126 mil/6 year contract was the reason why we have players earning so much.

The moment Garnett got his contract, players like Shaq, Juwan Howard, Grant Hill, Mourning, Kemp, Olajuwon, Ewing and Motombo got paid!!!

lefty
01-20-2010, 11:27 AM
1991: Jordan scoring 25 straight points in game 2 of the Finals

1992: Jordan scoring 35 pts in the 1st half of game 1, BUT also the last quarter of game 6, when the Bulls made a comeback with Jordan on the bench

1993: Game 5 of the ECF, and game 3 of the NBA Finals

1996: Jordan and co destroying Shaq in 4 games

1997: Bulls vs Washingston, 1st round; although Chicago swept the Bullets, those series were amazing :tu

1998: Bulls vs Pacers

ChrisRichards
01-20-2010, 12:05 PM
You're partly wrong MH, Kevin Garnett's contract was the reason MJ's agent demanded big $$$ for the 1997-1998 season.

MJ was going to get paid regardless for the 1996-1997 season for what he had done for the franchise, but the T'wolves giving Garnett a $126 mil/6 year contract was the reason why we have players earning so much.

The moment Garnett got his contract, players like Shaq, Juwan Howard, Grant Hill, Mourning, Kemp, Olajuwon, Ewing and Motombo got paid!!!
You're also partly right there.

Garnett's 126 Million contract was used as a scapegot for the lockout season, but even before him it was Glenn Robinson that started the overpaid athlete era in the league.

Before he could take the court, he and the Bucks became involved in a contract holdout that lasted until the beginning of training camp after it was rumored that he desired a then-unprecedented 13 year, $100 million contract.[1] (http://spurstalk.com/forums/#cite_note-0) Robinson eventually signed a nearly equally unprecedented 10-year, $68 million deal that still stands as the richest NBA rookie contract, as a salary cap for rookies was implemented the following season.

ChrisRichards
01-20-2010, 12:10 PM
GOAT

http://www.sports-hotline.com.tw/jordan/images/1998-0614-1.jpg

NOT GOAT
http://www.tiricosuave.com/images/kobejordan.jpg

JamStone
01-20-2010, 12:14 PM
I'm a Jordan hater, but the two most memorable things during their run are 1) him switching the ball from his right to left hand midair for the lay-up against the Lakers, even though it was completely unnecessary, and 2) his one three point shooting barrage hitting something like 6 three pointers during a stretch against I believe it was the Jazz (but I can't remember for sure) to the point where he looked over to the broadcast crew and shrugged his shoulders like he can't even explain how he can't miss.

I'll be a Jordan hater forever, but I won't deny his greatness. Those are the two most vivid memories I have during his title runs.

hitmanyr2k
01-20-2010, 12:16 PM
You're also partly right there.

Garnett's 126 Million contract was used as a scapegot for the lockout season, but even before him it was Glenn Robinson that started the overpaid athlete era in the league.

Before he could take the court, he and the Bucks became involved in a contract holdout that lasted until the beginning of training camp after it was rumored that he desired a then-unprecedented 13 year, $100 million contract.[1] (http://spurstalk.com/forums/#cite_note-0) Robinson eventually signed a nearly equally unprecedented 10-year, $68 million deal that still stands as the richest NBA rookie contract, as a salary cap for rookies was implemented the following season.

I think I'm gonna have to one-up you both and say that Larry Johnson started the overpaid athlete era with his 12 year 84 million dollar contract.

hitmanyr2k
01-20-2010, 12:17 PM
I'm a Jordan hater, but the two most memorable things during their run are 1) him switching the ball from his right to left hand midair for the lay-up against the Lakers, even though it was completely unnecessary, and 2) his one three point shooting barrage hitting something like 6 three pointers during a stretch against I believe it was the Jazz (but I can't remember for sure) to the point where he looked over to the broadcast crew and shrugged his shoulders like he can't even explain how he can't miss.

I'll be a Jordan hater forever, but I won't deny his greatness. Those are the two most vivid memories I have during his title runs.

That was actually against the Blazers in Game 1 of the 1992 Finals.

ChrisRichards
01-20-2010, 12:21 PM
I think I'm gonna have to one-up you both and say that Larry Johnson started the overpaid athlete era with his 12 year 84 million dollar contract.
Good call.

JamStone
01-20-2010, 12:22 PM
Allan Houston signed a $100 million contract for 6 years in 1996 with the Knicks.

JamStone
01-20-2010, 12:22 PM

Thanks. Good catch. I couldn't quite remember when and against what team.

lil_penny
01-20-2010, 12:23 PM

Please don't remind me lol

But yea jordan was the greatest.. the things that guy did and could do were nothing short of amazing.

MiamiHeat
01-20-2010, 12:54 PM
2) his one three point shooting barrage hitting something like 6 three pointers during a stretch against I believe it was the Jazz (but I can't remember for sure) to the point where he looked over to the broadcast crew and shrugged his shoulders like he can't even explain how he can't miss.

I remember watching this live on TV

it was against the Blazers, and it was when I think he broke the record for most 3 pters in a playoff game

lefty
01-20-2010, 01:23 PM

I totally agree WTF with all those replays

Most overrated move ever

baseline bum
01-20-2010, 02:59 PM

Actually, Jordan's huge contracts started in 96-97, when he got $30 million for the season on a 1-year contract. He got $33 million for the next. I don't blame Jordan for wanting that deal, as he was grossly underpaid his entire career. Even in 95-96 his deal only paid $300K more than Kukoc's.

Blaming Jordan for the spike in salaries in incorrect. The first really huge money contract was the one Ewing got in 95-96 starting at $18.7 million for that year (in contrast, Jordan was paid $3.85 million). Ewing opened the floodgates.

ChrisRichards
01-20-2010, 03:08 PM
Actually, Jordan's huge contracts started in 96-97, when he got $30 million for the season on a 1-year contract. He got $33 million for the next. I don't blame Jordan for wanting that deal, as he was grossly underpaid his entire career. Even in 95-96 his deal only paid $300K more than Kukoc's.

Blaming Jordan for the spike in salaries in incorrect. The first really huge money contract was the one Ewing got in 95-96 starting at $18.7 million for that year (in contrast, Jordan was paid $3.85 million). Ewing opened the floodgates.
It was Larry Johnson really followed by Glenn Robsinson that started the precedent of highly paid athletes.

baseline bum
01-20-2010, 03:15 PM
It was Larry Johnson really followed by Glenn Robsinson that started the precedent of highly paid athletes.

No it wasn't. It was Ewing. Ewing's huge $18.7 million deal started in 95-96, when Grandmama was paid $4.3 million and Robinson $3.7 million.

ChrisRichards
01-20-2010, 03:25 PM
No it wasn't. It was Ewing. Ewing's huge $18.7 million deal started in 95-96, when Grandmama was paid $4.3 million and Robinson $3.7 million.
Those were rookie contracts. Veterans started an uproar when NBA owners were paying larger amount of contracts to rookies than established vets.

baseline bum
01-20-2010, 04:12 PM
Yet, none of those was anywhere near the huge spike Ewing's deal introduced. In 94-95, the only deal approaching Ewing's 95-96 deal was Magic Johnson's $14.3 million, but I consider that an aberration, as it was more an enormous gift to him for a career's work back when HIV was still considered a death sentence. It was certainly a non-market contract, as he didn't even play on the team.

The real market max salaries (in order) were:
David Robinson: $7.3 million
James Worthy: $7.2 million
AC Green: $6.5 million
Detlef Schrempf: $5.0 million
Shaquille O'Neal: $4.8 million

The very next year that max level jumped from $7.3 million to $18.7 million with Ewing, a spike of more than 250%. That number clearly shows Ewing ushered in the era of the megadeal, as Garnett's 99 deal, Shaq's 97 deal, Jordan's 97 and 98 deals, and so on used that one as the benchmark.