PDA

View Full Version : Clarín: Manu´s interview.He is quite sure he will be a free agent

jalberto
01-20-2010, 06:01 AM
It was hard for him to face the situation but now Manu is quite sure he will be a free agent by july or august and he will have to decide where to go.

http://www.clarin.com/diario/2010/01/20/deportes/d-02123529.htm

full intreview recorded: http://www.clarin.com/diario/2010/01/20/um/m-02123565.htm

Rito3d30
01-20-2010, 06:09 AM
Any translation plx...
I want to know what he said

manubili
01-20-2010, 06:26 AM
:(

benefactor
01-20-2010, 06:36 AM
If he stays healthy he will be re-signed. I would be pretty shocked otherwise.

will_spurs
01-20-2010, 07:06 AM
Any translation plx...
I want to know what he said

Too long to translate everything but the title should give you a pretty clear idea: "Right now I don't expect they will extend my contract"

He also states "I thought my relationship with the Spurs was different. One can be a bit too romantic".

On the other hand he says that "the Spurs haven't sent me any signal (one way or the other)" so it might be a public bid from Manu to draw attention to his situation and put some pressure on the Spurs via the fans reaction.

DAF86
01-20-2010, 07:08 AM
"I don't expect to be resigned anymore"

"I'm pretty sure I'll be a free agent by july"

Do they give you signs?
No, there were no signs. Last time we talked about it was before I got injured last season. I'm already mentalized to sit with my wife in july and think about the future.

You aren't any other Spur, you're kind of an idol there, does it hit you harder for that fact?
At the beginning yes, I thought the relationship was different, I guess I'm a little bit too much of a romantic. But that was last year, now I realized that this is a bussiness and nobody gives away anything, now I get it.

How do you see the team?
We aren't playing as good as we should, we should have 5 or 6 more wins by now, let's hope we can improve.

You won 3 'ships in 5 years, did you expect a let down of the team, do you think you're done as championship contenders?No, I don't. Is very tough to be an NBA champion, ha ha. The fact that we didn't win one in two years doesn't mean we're done, there are lots of great teams that have never won a championship, anything can happen: injuries, last second shots, other teams just beign better, you can't be too cocky and expect to win it every year.

Are you different now as a team?
We have more talent now so we're trying to play more freely but when is crunch time we try to rely on the same old things.

Could it be that the NBA isn't as spectacular as it used to be?
No, I still see great plays on every game.

Like that dive you made to save the game?
The ball was there and I just went for it, it was nothing special really.

TMTTRIO
01-20-2010, 07:08 AM
Wow interesting stuff. It sounds like Manu's not coming back after this season.

DAF86
01-20-2010, 07:09 AM
Note: "I don't expect to be resigned anymore" means that he doesn't think that he will get resigned, not that he doesn't want to be resigned.

Ice009
01-20-2010, 07:17 AM
DAF86, are you saying Manu doesn't think he will be resigned by the Spurs at all? Even as a free agent?

I thought he would be referring to not expecting to sign an extension.

DAF86
01-20-2010, 07:23 AM
DAF86, are you saying Manu doesn't think he will be resigned by the Spurs at all? Even as a free agent?

I thought he would be referring to not expecting to sign an extension.

I really don't know, reading the Spanish version left me with the same doubts, he definitely doesn't expect to get an extension but the article makes me think that his chances of remaining a Spur are slim too.

Manu-of-steel
01-20-2010, 07:35 AM
Oh, this is bad news to spurs and manu fans. I hope Manu just wanted for the FO of the spurs and other teams to notice. I understand the spurs' hesitation to sign him up, but i also understand Manu's need to be shown respect for his loyalty and all-out plays as a member of the spurs. I just wish the spurs will find a way to re-sign Manu. It would be very difficult to find a player like him in this league.

Bukefal
01-20-2010, 07:40 AM
Oh, this is bad news to spurs and manu fans. I hope Manu just wanted for the FO of the spurs and other teams to notice. I understand the spurs' hesitation to sign him up, but i also understand Manu's need to be shown respect for his loyalty and all-out plays as a member of the spurs. I just wish the spurs will find a way to re-sign Manu. It would be very difficult to find a player like him in this league.

It's all business. They don't give a shit about loyalty and respect. Did you see how Bowen was let go? Ok, he maybe didn't meant so much as manu did, but, not even a celebration or farewell moment in the stadium nothing, let's not even talk about him being resigned because of loyalty and respect. Its all business.

Im interested in how this is going to end.

Mel_13
01-20-2010, 07:43 AM
I really don't know, reading the Spanish version left me with the same doubts, he definitely doesn't expect to get an extension but the article makes me think that his chances of remaining a Spur are slim too.

Manu must realize that the Spurs need to know two things. First, that he can remain healthy through the grind of the long NBA season. Second, that he will not risk that health by any further participation with his national team.

If he could assure the team on the second matter, then perhaps an extension could be reached before the first matter is completely settled. I understood Manu's choice to go to Beijing, but I don't believe the Spurs will begin negotiations until he has either provided an assurance that his NT playing days are over or until he has returned from Turkey.

At this point, I think that position is entirely reasonable. As many have pointed out in many past discussions, the Spurs assumed the risks associated with an international player when they signed the six year deal with him back in 2004. There is no reason for the team to take further risks of basketball injuries caused by non-NBA play. If there are to be negotiations before July 1st, Manu will have to take the first step.

L.I.T
01-20-2010, 07:44 AM
Wow. I'm hoping that he just meant he isn't expecting his current contract to get extended. But the original Spanish transcript does make it sound like he's not coming back either.

The Spurs FO must have been more pissed off than we thought over him playing during that one summer.

If I remember correctly, they were really pressuring him to not play and even had an extension on the table. Then pulled it when he did play.

That being said...I think Manu still brings good stuff the table, maybe different than a few years ago, but definitely a unique skillset and should be resigned (albeit at a lower dollar figure).

MB20
01-20-2010, 07:47 AM
As I understand it, when he was a free agent back in 2004 (?), he wasn´t interested in signing with any other team.
I know he visited Denver, but signing with any other team but the Spurs wasn´t in his mind really.
He was emotionally attached to the city of San Antonio, and the Spurs, and he didn´t want to leave.

This time, he will listen to all the offers seriously.

He understands that this is a business, and that the Spurs FO don´t give a damn about "emotional attachement" (LOL)
So he will do the same. He´ll sit with his wife and, with the offers on the table, decide where to go.

BG_Spurs_Fan
01-20-2010, 07:47 AM
It's all business. They don't give a shit about loyalty and respect. Did you see how Bowen was let go? Ok, he maybe didn't meant so much as manu did, but, not even a celebration or farewell moment in the stadium nothing, let's not even talk about him being resigned because of loyalty and respect. Its all business.

Im interested in how this is going to end.

WTF are you talking about? Bowen will get his number retired in a couple of years, what farewell moment do you want? And his trade had absolutely nothing to do with a lack of loyalty and respect. He was let go because he was going to retire, which he did, which was the right decision for both parties. Oh and Bowen meant and still means every bit as much as Manu and Tony.

Regarding Manu, I think he's trying to pressure the FO a bit, because they obviously haven't offered an extension yet. Pretty sure he'll stay a Spur though.

Bukefal
01-20-2010, 07:54 AM
I think Bowen would have not retired yet if he wasn't traded. Many thought he would even come back to the spurs. But he didn't. My point is that being traded or let go, doesn't have anything to do with loyalty or respect. Players shouldn't be hoping on being resigned just because they think the team/organisation has to have respect and loyalty towards the player.

That's naive, because its all about business, there is no place for respect and loyalty.

MB20
01-20-2010, 07:56 AM
That's naive, because its all about business, there is no place for respect and loyalty.

Reality is cold, huh? :depressed

L.I.T
01-20-2010, 07:58 AM
I think Bowen would have not retired yet if he wasn't traded. Many thought he would even come back to the spurs. But he didn't. My point is that being traded or let go, doesn't have anything to do with loyalty or respect. Players shouldn't be hoping on being resigned just because they think the team/organisation has to have respect and loyalty towards the player.

And now you sound like Fabbs.

The Spurs have historically been pretty good about dealing with players. If they have to cut guys, they have done so quickly and quietly and even helped some of them out finding another team (if I remember correctly, Jason Hart/Raja Bell and a few others). Even this last summer, they cut that second round pick of theirs as soon as he requested it.

Just because they have to pay attention to the business side and trade/cut/not resign players doesn't mean they disrespect them.

BG_Spurs_Fan
01-20-2010, 08:00 AM

I agree business is above loyalty most of the time, and it should be. However, Bowen's case is inappropriately used to showcase this.

There is absolutely no indication from him or the Spurs, that he would have continued playing if he hadn't been traded. In fact, he had he chance to sign for any team that wanted hm, but didn't. These are facts, everything else is speculation. I can just as easly speculate that he got his last contract knowing that the partially guaranteed last year would be his retirement bonus of 2M and he has always meant to retire.

Bottomline is, trading Bowen didn't mean the Spurs showed disrespect or lack of loyalty, not by any means.

Bukefal
01-20-2010, 08:02 AM
No they can respect a player, but for a player to be hoping on resigning because the organisation should have respect for the player, is bullshit. There is no place for that.

Manu-of-steel
01-20-2010, 08:02 AM
WTF are you talking about? Bowen will get his number retired in a couple of years, what farewell moment do you want? And his trade had absolutely nothing to do with a lack of loyalty and respect. He was let go because he was going to retire, which he did, which was the right decision for both parties. Oh and Bowen meant and still means every bit as much as Manu and Tony.

Regarding Manu, I think he's trying to pressure the FO a bit, because they obviously haven't offered an extension yet. Pretty sure he'll stay a Spur though.

I agree with you, sir. IMO, Manu's just trying to catch the attention of the spurs FO. He said he'd love to retire as a member of the spurs team. If manu plays well this season, he'd surely be re-signed. But if he goes down due to injury, business is business, the spurs won't sign him.
This could be a signal the spurs FO is sending to parker- if you play with the NT and you get injured, you risk not being resigned, imo.

benefactor
01-20-2010, 08:05 AM
At the beginning yes, I thought the relationship was different, I guess I'm a little bit too much of a romantic. But that was last year, now I realized that this is a bussiness and nobody gives away anything, now I get it.

This can't be a serious statement from Manu. He has been in the NBA for a long time now and knows that the Spurs can't just give him money because they like him. This is pretty damn naive if it's true.

Bukefal
01-20-2010, 08:07 AM
I agree business is above loyalty most of the time, and it should be. However, Bowen's case is inappropriately used to showcase this.

There is absolutely no indication from him or the Spurs, that he would have continued playing if he hadn't been traded. In fact, he had he chance to sign for any team that wanted hm, but didn't. These are facts, everything else is speculation. I can just as easly speculate that he got his last contract knowing that the partially guaranteed last year would be his retirement bonus of 2M and he has always meant to retire.

Bottomline is, trading Bowen didn't mean the Spurs showed disrespect or lack of loyalty, not by any means.

I know, the organization did not show disrespect, because its a normal thing to do. That's why Bowen gets it and knows its just business. Im talking about players hoping on being resigned because of they think the organization should respect him or have loyalty.

Im pointing this out, because some people and players are thinking and hoping that the player should be resigned, just because of the organization should have respect and loyalty towards the player. And that's naive.

L.I.T
No they can respect a player, but for a player to be hoping on resigning because the organisation should have respect for the player, is bullshit. There is no place for that.

Ah, got your point. Thanks.

Anyway, between TP and Manu we seem to be having an emo-fest in our backcourt.

BG_Spurs_Fan

Now that I totally agree with.

In Manu's case, he hasn't proved he'll be healthy enough and reliable enough yet, so it's no surprise he hasn't been offered an extension, he has to earn it.But the truth is, if the Spurs just let him go, they'll still only have th MLE to spend, and would have exactly 1 swingman under contract, which is not a good business situation.

TheChillFactor
01-20-2010, 08:22 AM
i don't post a lot but Manu is one of my favorite all-time players and I have something to say.

The Spurs are trying to put a championship roster on the floor at the end of the TD era. IMO this is why Pop all but got on his knees and begged him not to play for ARG in 2008. I understand why Manu played but at the same time the Spurs can't screw Duncan over by resigning a guy out of loyalty that can't play anymore.

Pop makes sacrifices in terms of MPG to keep these guys healthy for the playoffs. IMO Manu short-changed his brothers on the Spurs when he played in 2008. If he can't remain healthy anymore or play at a high level, no EFFING way should they resign him, as painful as it is for me to say it. The Spurs owe it to TD and to Spurs fans (real Spurs fans) to take advantage of the TD era as much as possible. That means that people get let go when they can no longer contribute.

It kills me to say it but that's the way it is.

MB20
01-20-2010, 08:26 AM
I want the Spurs to keep Manu.
But, if he has to go play somewhere else, so be it.

It´s not the end of the world, really.

urunobili
01-20-2010, 08:27 AM
This is going to be dramatic... I think if he becomes a key contributor on another championship this year he'll be resigned... If the Spurs don't make it tot he Finals... after these statements there is little chance he stays...

The signals are pretty clear... it seems RJ > Manu for our championship chances as per the FO... :wakeup

BG_Spurs_Fan
01-20-2010, 08:32 AM
If he can't remain healthy anymore or play at a high level, no EFFING way should they resign him, as painful as it is for me to say it. The Spurs owe it to TD and to Spurs fans (real Spurs fans) to take advantage of the TD era as much as possible. That means that people get let go when they can no longer contribute.

It kills me to say it but that's the way it is.

Not that your logic is flawed but the situation is a bit complicated and the Spurs don't hold all the aces. Like you said, they owe it to TD to take advantage, but letting Manu simply expire will not help the Spurs at all, because they'll have only 1 swingman, RJ, under contract and will only have the MLE to use. They also have to take care of Splitter. So how do they sign Splitter and at least 3 more swingmen, having only the MLE to spend and still be a contender?

Maybe he's pressuring the FO to extend him as soon as possible, and maybe they're concerned about the money, maybe they're trying to lowball him to take a bit less, I don't know, but one thing is certain - simply letting him expire does not help the Spurs on the basketball court, only financially. And if they've given up on resigning him, then they HAVE TO trade him by the deadline.

TheChillFactor
01-20-2010, 08:55 AM
Not that your logic is flawed but the situation is a bit complicated and the Spurs don't hold all the aces. Like you said, they owe it to TD to take advantage, but letting Manu simply expire will not help the Spurs at all, because they'll have only 1 swingman, RJ, under contract and will only have the MLE to use. They also have to take care of Splitter. So how do they sign Splitter and at least 3 more swingmen, having only the MLE to spend and still be a contender?

Maybe he's pressuring the FO to extend him as soon as possible, and maybe they're concerned about the money, maybe they're trying to lowball him to take a bit less, I don't know, but one thing is certain - simply letting him expire does not help the Spurs on the basketball court, only financially. And if they've given up on resigning him, then they HAVE TO trade him by the deadline.

i acknowledge your point - Bob Bass letting Rod Strickland walk for absolutely nothing all those years ago still bothers me lol. so i'm not saying it's in our self-interest to let the guy walk.

however, if you're spending $8-10 million on Ginobili, you have to ask if that's the best decision given his history of injuries and declining production. if the FO determines that they don't want him next year, maybe they should (HUGE GULP) trade him now.

Bruno
01-20-2010, 08:56 AM
A front office in the NBA should be cold-blooded. It doesn't mesh well with a player as pasionate as Ginobili.

The trade deadline is the big date regarding Ginobili's future:

Before it, Spurs have few incentives to extend him. If he has another serious injury, Spurs will be happy to have his expiring contract as trade asset.

After it, Spurs should start talking with Ginobili about an extension. In 2010, Spurs will only have the MLE and the FA market will be very weak for a SG with a MLE salary. Spurs won't have a lot of options other than re-signing Manu. It's even more true than giving a full MLE (5 years/$34M) contract to a marginal player isn't a good idea when Spurs will be in rebuilding mode after 2012.

I would be really surprised to see Manu being with another team next year. It's a lose-lose scenario for both sides (Manu won't find a better place than SA). I can even see Spurs having some talks about an extension in March.

SenorSpur
01-20-2010, 09:02 AM
This is really a tough situation that will have a dramatic ending.

After reading this I understand why Manu feels this way. He's the heart and emotional soul of this team, and has been since almost the moment he arrived. He cannot imagine himself in another uniform - nor can I.

From the Spurs perspective, I also understand their position too. This IS a business and they must limit their risk potential, should Manu not prove that he can maintain good health and/or if he decides to continue his participation with Argentina's national team - which is his right.

Rest assured, when Manu hits free agency, some other team (Fakers perhaps) WILL most certainly offer him "crazy bank" that could price him out of the Spurs grasp.

Looking back, it now seems that Manu's injury in the 2008 Olympics really had lasting ramifications.

Silverheart80
01-20-2010, 09:18 AM
I largely agree with Bruno above.

Look, there's nothing in this article that says Manu is going anywhere. This is NBA business-as-usual. It's the way the free agent dance works. He's gonna be on the market. Offers will come. He'll be courted. The Spurs will have a decision to make and so will he.

The only way I see him going anywhere is if:

1. he does something reckless with his health (i.e. an action that happens anywhere other than for the Spurs in an NBA arena).

2. a trade comes along that involves him and makes us younger and better.

I don't see either of these happening. There's no guarantee Manu will be back, but right now I'd say there's zero indication he's not returning either. There's no romance here, but he's one of the great Spurs of all-time and more relevant to this topic, he's still worth a helluva lot in marketing revenue to a team that's famous/infamous for milking every penny off-the-court. I don't think that's the overriding factor, but I suspect ownership is loathe to lose juice in that department.

temujin
01-20-2010, 09:27 AM
A front office in the NBA should be cold-blooded. It doesn't mesh well with a player as pasionate as Ginobili.

The trade deadline is the big date regarding Ginobili's future:

Before it, Spurs have few incentives to extend him. If he has another serious injury, Spurs will be happy to have his expiring contract as trade asset.

After it, Spurs should start talking with Ginobili about an extension. In 2010, Spurs will only have the MLE and the FA market will be very weak for a SG with a MLE salary. Spurs won't have a lot of options other than re-signing Manu. It's even more true than giving a full MLE (5 years/$34M) contract to a marginal player isn't a good idea when Spurs will be in rebuilding mode after 2012.

I would be really surprised to see Manu being with another team next year. It's a lose-lose scenario for both sides (Manu won't find a better place than SA). I can even see Spurs having some talks about an extension in March.

Cool-blooded FO, yes, correct.

Ginobili should also be cool-blooded, he has shown n times he is capable of that on the court.
The romantic stuff is totally misplaced.
Top priority, he should just stay healthy.
No nore improbable penetrations in traffic.
No more crazy divings.
No more dangerous hits from the Poseys of this world.
Just take that outside shot.
Pass.
Play a little defense.

As for the future, I am pretty sure there are teams intersted

ElNono
01-20-2010, 09:58 AM
I'm with Bruno in that we need to wait for a couple of weeks after the trade deadline before drawing any conclusions...

ShoogarBear
01-20-2010, 10:03 AM
So, suppose at the end of the year, Manu is exactly the player he is now, no better, no worse. Shooting about 40% but passing well and making the intangible plays. Do the Spurs try to sign him (probably an easy question)? For how much and how long (much harder questions).

Because I think Manu's next contract with whomever is going to be for two-three years tops and a lot less money.

I. Hustle
01-20-2010, 10:05 AM
Here is the thing. I was a Manu fan before he signed with the Spurs so if he goes to the Lakers do I buy his jersey?

nah, I could never do that.

doobs
01-20-2010, 10:07 AM
"Loyalty" contracts are generally stupid, but they have value still. If current Spurs see the FO taking care of a guy who busted his ass for the team, well . . . that's pretty good motivation to bust your ass for the team, right?

Personally, I think the Spurs should resign Manu for that reason. He is a baller, an icon, a hardworking and passionate playmaker who risks life and limb for championships. Let him test the waters, and then offer him a little more than the best offer out there. But sign him.

CAPARG
01-20-2010, 10:08 AM
" sacó a relucir la pelea íntima que vive sobre su futuro inmediato" ...."brought out the inner fight that lives on his immediate future" .
This sentence summarizes all. He loves to play with the national team and for San Antonio too, but at this time of his career and his age he need to choose and I think that is killing him. For me, this is a "lose lose" situation. He given a lot for the NT and for the country too (foundation, charities, etc) so if I were him, this time I would choose to stay with the Spurs.

MmP
01-20-2010, 10:19 AM
Wow, I mean..Wow.

Could this be a tactic from Manu to be resigned, talking now to the open press to pressure the Spurs?
I really don't get it..

Fizzzar
01-20-2010, 10:30 AM
I think this is worse than you guys think... let me translate one of his answers.

When asked if the team have given him signs about his contract he said:

"No, there were no signals. The last one was before I got injured last year and after that there was no more talking on the subject. At this point of the season I don't know if I would accept an extension, it depends on the offer. But I have my mind set on sitting with my agent and my wife on July 1st and see what options I have."

Dex
01-20-2010, 10:33 AM
I don't particularly blame Manu for being upset, and none of us really know what these conversations are like behind the scenes. Still, Manu has to keep the reality of the situation in mind. He hasn't finished the last 2 seasons, and has been increasingly fragile the last 3 years of his career. Currently, he's showing signs of returning to his old form, but he still has a ways to go.

It would be impossible for the Spurs to offer him a contract right now and put an appropriate amount to his worth. If they pay him money respective to his current play and history, it's probably going to be a pretty lousy contract. If Manu can make it through this season and continue to improve, I'm sure they would love to give him the contract he deserves.

But the Spurs been paying big money the last two years for a player who, athletically, has been a shell of his former self. He can't expect that they're going to offer him the same kind of deal just on the assumption that he's still capable of being old Manu.

kace
01-20-2010, 10:39 AM
maybe A NBA FO has to be cold blooded but i can't say i like that.

Bowen traded, TP trade for CP3 rumors (false or true ?), Ginobili extension in question.......... i don't like that.

i miss the time where the core of the big four was the Spurs main treasure , ruling the league................nostalgia

MmP
01-20-2010, 10:43 AM
Re reading the whole interview in spanish, to me sounds like a Manu tactic to see what the Spurs do with this. I don't buy Manu making these statements at this point of the season with the spurs being so up and down.
Although I agree with most of you saying to wait until the trade deadline and afterthat see what Manu brings in the offseason. When he usually turn it on.
I thiink that if he is healthy Im sure he'll make something big happen.

Mel_13
01-20-2010, 10:44 AM
" sacó a relucir la pelea íntima que vive sobre su futuro inmediato" ...."brought out the inner fight that lives on his immediate future" .
This sentence summarizes all. He loves to play with the national team and for San Antonio too, but at this time of his career and his age he need to choose and I think that is killing him. For me, this is a "lose lose" situation. He given a lot for the NT and for the country too (foundation, charities, etc) so if I were him, this time I would choose to stay with the Spurs.

Thanks for that little bit of insight.

In Manu's ideal scenario, he would have the security of a guaranteed contract in his pocket before he decided whether or not to play for Argentina this summer. In San Antonio's ideal scenario, they would know that Manu could survive a full season and playoffs and would not play for the NT before signing him to a new deal.

That's why I believe a compromise is possible if Manu is willing to retire from the NT, or at least forgo playing for the NT for the duration of a new deal. Then both sides would have an incentive to negotiate an extension before the season ended. The Spurs would assume the additional risk that Manu may break down before the season ends, but they would avoid a possible bidding war this summer. Manu would give up further play with the NT and a possible bigger contract, but he would avoid the potential losses he could suffer if he is injured again this season.

It seems obvious that retiring from the NT is a difficult decision for Manu to take, but I don't see much chance that the Spurs open negotiations without an assurance that he will only play for the Spurs for the duration of any new deal.

Then a lose-lose could turn into a win-win. Manu extends for two years thru 2012. When that last home game of the 2012 season comes around, Tim and Manu can receive their final ovations (hopefully in the same way David did in 2003). Then, if Manu still wants it, I'm sure Argentina would hold a roster spot for the 2012 Olympic team.

pad300
01-20-2010, 10:51 AM
No disrespect to Bowen? Did you miss what happened to his minutes last year...
Hi, my name is Bruce Bowen, and my minutes are being given to Mike Finley, despite the fact that I'm about twice as useful as him.... And then signing Bogans for the Vet min, without even making the offer to Bruce? Bruce > Bogans, today. The FO dumped Bruce, and I don't understand why.

urunobili
01-20-2010, 10:54 AM
Then a lose-lose could turn into a win-win. Manu extends for two years thru 2012. When that last home game of the 2012 season comes around, Tim and Manu can receive their final ovations (hopefully in the same way David did in 2003). Then, if Manu still wants it, I'm sure Argentina would hold a roster spot for the 2012 Olympic team.

Manu already has a gold medal.. the only big competition he hasn't won is the World Cup...

I think he wants to retire from the NT after Turkey 2010.... that's his last shot at winning that tournament...

rjv
01-20-2010, 10:55 AM
why should the FO extend now? the market value for manu is a big mystery at the moment but he has not been the manu of old and i would be very surprised to see anyone offer him more than 10 mil a year at this time.

ffadicted
01-20-2010, 10:58 AM
lol Manu isn't going anywhere guys, I am 110% sure of this

alchemist
01-20-2010, 11:00 AM
For Ginobili:
He obviously became a business man once he got a cold shoulder from the Spurs about his extension. I highly doubt that this man will take any low ball offer the Spurs try to give him. I really don't see him in a Spurs uniform next season by him mentioning that he removed the personal side of signing his next contract.

For the front office:
These guys are probably going to take a pounding in PR if Ginobili signs somewhere else, but it's really not their fault that Manu was stubborn to play injured. They won't be able to low ball Manu this time, they burned their bridge with him personally.

It's all business now folks.

Mel_13
01-20-2010, 11:03 AM
Manu already has a gold medal.. the only big competition he hasn't won is the World Cup...

I think he wants to retire from the NT after Turkey 2010.... that's his last shot at winning that tournament...

Yes, I know.

Fact remains that the Spurs will be very reluctant to negotiate with Manu while the possibility exists that he plays in Turkey. The risks that they accepted in 2004 are not ones that they can accept in 2010.

mountainballer
01-20-2010, 11:05 AM
one point people shouldn't ignore when evaluating Manu the situation:

Manu is a winner in the first place. this also means he is a winner, because he wants to win badly.
so, what if the Spurs go down again this PO? (neither the Jefferson, nor the Dice addition have been as successful as we all thought. a 2nd round exit against Lakers, Mavs or Nuggets isn't totally impossible)
what if Manu wants to leave, because he no longer thinks the Spurs can contend for a title? we know that Manu never thought about the money in the 1st place. he left money on the table in 2002 (when he signed for the LLE) and did again in 2004, when he could have got more.
if Manu hits the open market, I'm pretty sure he will get MLE offers from top teams. (especially the Lakers, maybe also the Celtics or Cavs).
THIS is the scenario I'm much more afraid of, than that the Spurs are outbid by a team with cap space.

MmP
01-20-2010, 11:07 AM
I think this is worse than you guys think... let me translate one of his answers.

When asked if the team have given him signs about his contract he said:

"No, there were no signals. The last one was before I got injured last year and after that there was no more talking on the subject. At this point of the season I don't know if I would accept an extension, it depends on the offer. But I have my mind set on sitting with my agent and my wife on July 1st and see what options I have."

That is what the newspaper typed. But what Manu actually said (by listening to the audio interview)is: here's the exact translation to avoid madness and histeria:

"Im pretty sure I'll be a FA(...)and I don't expect to be resingned"

Are they giving you any sings?

"No there hasn't been any sings. The last one was before I got injured last year and after that there was no more talking on the subject. I don't know if it has much sense at this point".(sounds very casual about it, like doubtful). (He's saying this because of the 2010 offseason madness. Saying that the Spurs will probably wait to see what happens. Not because he didn't want to)
"It depends on what they'd offer me (giggle). But Im mentalized that on July 1st I'll sit down with my agent and wife and see where I continue my carreer"

To me it's more of the same, still he's very casual. He didn't sound upset at all. Very centered and he's never stated about leaving SA. He's still wishing that SA extends him after this seasons. Nothing new. The only thing he said is that Spurs won't extend him now. Which is obvious and Manu says the same, it wouldn't benefit the Spurs that's why they wont do it now. But he still sounds very wishful that Spurs will. And I think he still knows that depends on what he does this season.
Manm spanish can lead to very interpretations, don't buy what you read inmediatly.

alchemist
01-20-2010, 11:09 AM

Manu is a winner in the first place. this also means he is a winner, because he wants to win badly.
so, what if the Spurs go down again this PO? (neither the Jefferson, nor the Dice addition have been as successful as we all thought. a 2nd round exit against Lakers, Mavs or Nuggets isn't totally impossible)
what if Manu wants to leave, because he no longer thinks the Spurs can contend for a title? we know that Manu never thought about the money in the 1st place. he left money on the table in 2002 (when he signed for the LLE) and did again in 2004, when he could have got more.
if Manu hits the open market, I'm pretty sure he will get MLE offers from top teams. (especially the Lakers, maybe also the Celtics or Cavs).
THIS is the scenario I'm much more afraid of, than that the Spurs are outbid by a team with cap space.
He left more money on the table because he thought he had a personal connection with the front office. That will NOT be the case this time, Manu will be thinking with his bank account in mind this time. The Spurs will need to put up the money or he'll probably leave.

diego
01-20-2010, 11:10 AM

the specific quote "no espero que me extiendan" is clear, he doesnt expect a contract extension. as fizzzar said, he even goes on to say that he's not sure he would accept any extension offer either, which is manu's way of saying tit for tat. and while he definitely sounds disappointed by all this, he never says anything to suggest that he doesnt want to be a spur or that he doesnt expect any offer from the team.

manu is basically accepting that the spurs will probably wait till FA to decide his worth, and saying that he will have to weigh that offer against any others he receives.

Bruno
01-20-2010, 11:11 AM
Something to keep in mind with Ginobili and the FA is the "over 36" rule. Because of that rule, the contract max length other teams can offer him is 3 years.

Teams over the cap can at best offer him a $19M/3 years contract. Teams under the cap are mainly in rebuilding mode. I really doubt they will be interested in a 33 years old Ginobili.

Spurs likely won't have to face teams throwing a lot of money to Ginobili next summer.

Mel_13
01-20-2010, 11:13 AM

True.

If the Spurs don't extend Manu during the season, then the chance that he leaves is much greater than the chance that the stays. He'll be able to choose between lucrative offers from teams with cap space and MLE offers from teams with better championship prospects.

romain.star
01-20-2010, 11:23 AM
Something to keep in mind with Ginobili and the FA is the "over 36" rule. Because of that rule, the contract max length other teams can offer him is 3 years.

Teams over the cap can at best offer him a $19M/3 years contract. Teams under the cap are mainly in rebuilding mode. I really doubt they will be interested in a 33 years old Ginobili.

Spurs likely won't have to face teams throwing a lot of money to Ginobili next summer.

hope you're right about it bruno

but... how on earth does a french man get to know so well the NBA trading rules. Are you some kind of an agent or what?

z0sa
01-20-2010, 11:27 AM
manu`s, as opposed to manu's ... do they not use the same apostrophes there?

John_spurs
01-20-2010, 11:50 AM
i think they do, it just sometimes some keyboards don't have the apostrophe, so you use a combination of keys, resulting in that strange sign

DaBears
01-20-2010, 11:53 AM
Ginobli will be back sure of it, and well if we dont resign him the team im sure will sign another player younger and talented to take his spot there are plenty of players in this league who currently want to and have wanted to play in SA.

mountainballer
01-20-2010, 12:19 PM

as I tried to explain, it won't be about the money in the 1st place.
I'm pretty sure either the Celtics and the Lakers will offer Manu this 3years/20 million, especially the Lakers will love to steal him and that way hurt the Spurs twice.
(they won't extend Fisher and the FA market for pure PG is poor. Ridnor or Watson? nahh. a player like Manu would be great for Jacksons system, could easily take Fishers role)
will the Spurs be willing to offer him that much more?

SpurOutofTownFan
01-20-2010, 12:21 PM
After reading the spanish article I feel a little bit concerned now. Let me explain.

1. Manu has always been very diplomatic with his responses. This time not so. He basically said "he thought the relationship was other" and that "he would re-sign depending on the offer".

2. His main business leverage now that he isn't consistently healthy anymore is himself as a trademark for the city, the team and other intangibles. He can still win championships but not playing a lot of minutes anymore.

3. Teams like Lakers and Boston will definitely attempt making an offer even for less money as they are still clear contenders to a title. Manu wants to win, regardless of what it takes. Also Kobe has many times praised Manu as "the other player in the league".

4. Spurs' FO will need to carefully study this situation. It isn't normal for a player to openly talk about these things in an interview. To me this is a huge read alert as Manu isn't the typical player opening his mouth to speak nonsense. He could be sending a signal to the FO or he could be telling them flat-out to not bother. Or he could be sending a signal to other teams to pay attention he will be free and start making plans accordingly.

5. In any case, I believe this could be the time when he's gone. Unbelievably so.

Amuseddaysleeper
01-20-2010, 12:22 PM
So, suppose at the end of the year, Manu is exactly the player he is now, no better, no worse. Shooting about 40% but passing well and making the intangible plays. Do the Spurs try to sign him (probably an easy question)? For how much and how long (much harder questions).

Because I think Manu's next contract with whomever is going to be for two-three years tops and a lot less money.

2 years, 16M

MmP
01-20-2010, 12:30 PM
For those who talk about lakers, don't forget Kobe will lobby in order to get him if the right time comes. He's always praised as no other player.

Bruno
01-20-2010, 12:41 PM
but... how on earth does a french man get to know so well the NBA trading rules. Are you some kind of an agent or what?

:lol
I'm just curious and I find that quite interesting.

as I tried to explain, it won't be about the money in the 1st place.
I'm pretty sure either the Celtics and the Lakers will offer Manu this 3years/20 million, especially the Lakers will love to steal him and that way hurt the Spurs twice

My post wasn't an answer to yours. I was just saying that the biggest offer Manu would get on the FA market would likely be the full MLE on 3 years. It isn't at all crazy money.

I can see some contenders offering him a $19M/3 years contract but I don't see at all Lakers being interested to have him as starting PG mainly because it would be a disaster on the defensive end.

Whisky Dog
01-20-2010, 12:46 PM
We have a bad habit in society of expecting the employee (on this case Manu) to be loyal and hard working yet allow the employer to be ruthless and cold. This is a minor example, a bigger one is all of the corporations that shit on their tenured employees to save a buck. It's just flat out wrong.

Big P
01-20-2010, 12:47 PM
Sounds like any other pending FA...he's trying to get the maximum amount of money he can on his next & probably last contract....if the translation is correct, I am kinda dissapointed in Manu for going that route, I thought he was a little bit better than that, thats definitly one way to get the FO pissed off at you, talk about the contract you hope for next year while still being paid an assload of money to play bball THIS season..in the end it is a business & you cannot fault the team & Manu looking out for their best interests

mountainballer
01-20-2010, 01:04 PM
I can see some contenders offering him a $19M/3 years contract but I don't see at all Lakers being interested to have him as starting PG mainly because it would be a disaster on the defensive end.

whatever we call it, let's just call it guard, because Jackson doesn't make much difference between point and off guard anyhow.
I don't think Manu is much of a downgrade from Fisher on defense, in fact from Methusalem Fisher it is an upgrade. and if they face a bad match up they will bring in Brown (or even Farmer) to cover that player. not much difference to what they do right now. again, I'm pretty sure the Lakers will want Manu and I'm pretty scared about what Jackson can do with Manu in his system. (starting or not, this isn't the question anyhow)

hater
01-20-2010, 01:07 PM
Keep in mind Manu will have a family of 3 to feed this summer. He needs to think about his family's future. Oh, and there will be TONS of good teams interested in Manu. I really don't see Spurs retaining Manu unless they give him a FAT contract.

good thing out of all of this is: Manu will be playing at his max for this whole season. Probably his last season as a Spur regardless if they win the championship or not.

TDMVPDPOY
01-20-2010, 01:18 PM
i dont think he be resigned by the spurs if we do shit in the playoffs, and with holt and the owners going all in this season...they dont wanna get rick rolled on the river with nothin

ffadicted
01-20-2010, 01:18 PM

He won't be, but if he does, I think the spurs still sign him. Pop has continually said how important Manu is to the system, and to bring in a new SG when Duncan's on his last years doesn't seem like a very good idea. I think manu gets a two year contract with a team option for the 3rd maybe, at a value a bit above the MLE, 6-7 a year I'd think

DAF86
01-20-2010, 01:19 PM
Sounds like any other pending FA...he's trying to get the maximum amount of money he can on his next & probably last contract....if the translation is correct, I am kinda dissapointed in Manu for going that route, I thought he was a little bit better than that, thats definitly one way to get the FO pissed off at you, talk about the contract you hope for next year while still being paid an assload of money to play bball THIS season..in the end it is a business & you cannot fault the team & Manu looking out for their best interests

It doesn't sound anything like that to me, reading the interview (specially the "I thought the relationship was different" part) makes me think that something happened off court that broke Manu's relationships with the Spurs management, he sounds pissed/disapointed to me (and I'm sure that a member of the Spurs FO would sound the same talking about the subject).

ploto
01-20-2010, 01:39 PM
I really don't know-- if the Spurs tell Manu that he can not play in Turkey this summer or no deal- HE may choose to go elsewhere.

ffadicted
01-20-2010, 01:41 PM
I really don't know-- if the Spurs tell Manu that he can not play in Turkey this summer or no deal- HE may choose to go elsewhere.

I think Manu has already realized he can't be doing international bball at his age. He has his gold medal, he had his glory days, now it's time to let it all go and focus on the team that got him 3 rings in the most prestigious league in the world

anonoftheinternets
01-20-2010, 01:45 PM
man through 3 pages, there are views conflicting from yes to no, and i dont think i am any closer to understanding whats going on. Guess we just have to wait and see.

Mel_13
01-20-2010, 01:52 PM

I don't think the Spurs will negotiate with Manu if he wants to play in Turkey. They're not in a position to offer a guaranteed deal before the tournament if he intends to play. If another team offers a guaranteed deal before the tournament, then he won't be a Spur next season.

Mel_13
01-20-2010, 01:56 PM
2 years, 16M

He won't be, but if he does, I think the spurs still sign him. Pop has continually said how important Manu is to the system, and to bring in a new SG when Duncan's on his last years doesn't seem like a very good idea. I think manu gets a two year contract with a team option for the 3rd maybe, at a value a bit above the MLE, 6-7 a year I'd think

Smaller deals may be possible during the season, but the price goes up if a healthy Manu is a FA on July 1st. Even if he plays at his current level through the remainder of the regular season and playoffs, it will take at least 2yrs/20M to keep him if he hits free agency.

urunobili
01-20-2010, 01:56 PM
i really don't know-- if the spurs tell manu that he can not play in turkey this summer or no deal- he may choose to go elsewhere.

^^ this

Mel_13
01-20-2010, 01:59 PM
^^ this

At that point they have to let him go. It will be very sad to see Manu in another NBA uniform, but there have to be limits to the risks the team is willing to assume.

urunobili
01-20-2010, 02:01 PM
At that point they have to let him go. It will be very sad to see Manu in another NBA uniform, but there have to be limits to the risks the team is willing to assume.

Agreed. And this is what this article is all about unfortunately... Manu wants to retire from the NT in a big stage... Turkey will be it and my take is that he'll sign with any team that will give him the contract before the tournament... This won't look good for TP's renewal either... :wakeup

portnoy1
01-20-2010, 02:06 PM
The Dick Jefferson trade comes into play bigtime now. Manu is making $10million to provide scoring/spark off bench and intagibles. However, in the playoffs is where the spurs want him to do damage. He could be average during the season and play out of his mind during the playoffs. Thats what they want. They want to monitor his minutes during the regular season and let him go all out in the playoffs. His money is mainly being earned in the playoffs, since he is so injury proned. The part that is sour for Manu is that the spurs paid RJ $14million to sit around and do nothing except serve up a few facials here and there. For $6-8million the Spurs could have gotten several other pieces that filled that need. So, on one hand they wait around to resign him(even ceasing talks altogether) and with the other hand they reach deep into there pockets to get a guy who hasnt proven to do much in "winning time" for 2 years $29million. I'd be pissed, wouldnt you?

Mel_13
01-20-2010, 02:13 PM
Agreed. And this is what this article is all about unfortunately... Manu wants to retire from the NT in a big stage... Turkey will be it and my take is that he'll sign with any team that will give him the contract before the tournament... This won't look good for TP's renewal either... :wakeup

To me, Tony's recent talk about not playing for the FNT in 2010 is all about smoothing the way so that discussions on an extension can take place this summer. In Tony's case, I don't think the Spurs will talk this summer even if he renounces the FNT from now until the end of time. I just don't think they'll deal with Tony, or take on any long term deals in a trade for that matter, until the next CBA is signed sometime after 2011 season.

portnoy1
01-20-2010, 02:15 PM
To me, Tony's recent talk about not playing for the FNT in 2010 is all about smoothing the way so that discussions on an extension can take place this summer. In Tony's case, I don't think the Spurs will talk this summer even if he renounces the FNT from now until the end of time. I just don't think they'll deal with Tony, or take on any long term deals in a trade for that matter, until the next CBA is signed sometime after 2011 season.
That makes since. But I still wouldnt be surprised to see the spurs make a deal that includes RJ or TP. Manu might not resign simply cause the spurs have not showed that he is as important as he thought he was.

Mel_13
01-20-2010, 02:35 PM
That makes since. But I still wouldnt be surprised to see the spurs make a deal that includes RJ or TP. Manu might not resign simply cause the spurs have not showed that he is as important as he thought he was.

Manu's current deal was fair to both sides when it was signed. I don't think Manu loses any sleep over that. As to whether or not he stays, that will be based on the value of the offer from the Spurs compared to what Manu believes is his fair value to the team at that time.

There's no reason to believe that Manu sees the RJ acquisition as any sort of slight to him. On the other hand, RJ's number on the payroll could affect what Manu's perceives to be the minimum amount that he will accept from the Spurs. I don't think he'll accept a contract that starts below 10M.

(John Feinstein wrote a book in which he followed Mike Mussina and Tom Glavine through the 2007 season. Mussina was coming off a massive contract that ended in 2006. Both he and the Yankees wanted to continue the relationship and both knew that the new contract would be much smaller than the old one. The Yankees' initial offer was above fair market but slightly below what Carl Pavano was making. At that time Pavano had already been paid over 20M for virtually nothing and was constantly coming up with bizarre injuries. Mussina told the Yankees that there was no way he could sign with them for less than Pavano. The Yankees upped the offer and signed him for the last two years of his career. Manu won't get more than RJ's 15.2M, but I don't think he signs anything near an MLE deal with Spurs. I think he would take the MLE from another contender before he did that.)

quentin_compson
01-20-2010, 02:39 PM
As far as my knowledge goes, this situation is somewhat difficult to judge. My impression is that Manu really would want to stay in SA and maybe is a little disappointed that the Spurs are hesistant (from his point of view).

I love the guy and hope that he stays. But the FO's primary goal has to be to put together a team as strong and well-balanced as possible. So it's understandable that they're considering Manu's health situation as well as his further plans for his NT career. I'm with Bruno, however, on Manu being probably the best SG option available for the Spurs this coming summer. So if he really wants to stay, I'm quite confident both sides can reach an agreement.

hater
01-20-2010, 02:45 PM
As far as my knowledge goes, this situation is somewhat difficult to judge. My impression is that Manu really would want to stay in SA and maybe is a little disappointed that the Spurs are hesistant (from his point of view).

I love the guy and hope that he stays. But the FO's primary goal has to be to put together a team as strong and well-balanced as possible. So it's understandable that they're considering Manu's health situation as well as his further plans for his NT career. I'm with Bruno, however, on Manu being probably the best SG option available for the Spurs this coming summer. So if he really wants to stay, I'm quite confident both sides can reach an agreement.

correct on both sides.

only sad thing is most likely we will see Manu in a Laker or Rockets jersey next year

Fizzzar
01-20-2010, 02:52 PM
correct on both sides.

only sad thing is most likely we will see Manu in a Laker or Rockets jersey next year

In another interview he said that if he decided to leave the Spurs he would like to play with one of his teammates from the NT that won the gold medal.

urunobili
01-20-2010, 03:03 PM
In another interview he said that if he decided to leave the Spurs he would like to play with one of his teammates from the NT that won the gold medal.

I truly hope the Celts don't get Nocioni then...

hater
01-20-2010, 03:05 PM
I truly hope the Celts don't get Nocioni then...

Manu doesn't like the cold. It will be either Cali, Texas or anything on the East below and including Washington DC.

urunobili
01-20-2010, 03:07 PM
and including Washington DC.

lol hater wishful thinking :lol

hater
01-20-2010, 03:09 PM
lol hater wishful thinking :lol

could happen dude. Wiz will have tons of cash to throw at him and they already have his big brother

lefty
01-20-2010, 03:19 PM
Sign with Lakers Manu !!!!!!!!

DAF86
01-20-2010, 03:28 PM
sign with lakers manu !!!!!!!!

gtfo

timvp
01-20-2010, 03:44 PM
I ripped TP for whining about his injuries. I'll have to be an equal opportunity critic and say that Manu needs to stop complaining about his contract situation. Being all emotional about how he thought it was more than just a business or whatever doesn't make much sense considering this is the bed he made. He could have already signed an extension but decided against it. After getting hurt, delaying his surgery, trying to regain his footing mid-flow, getting hurt again to end the season and then suffering a season-ending injury the subsequent season due to the improper gait brought on by the original injury ... I can't really fathom how Ginobili is seemingly confused by the situation. If he wanted, he could already have the money in hand. He rolled the dice; live with the consequences.

That said, I can't think of a scenario in that re-signing Ginobili doesn't make sense. Let's say *knock on wood* Ginobili gets injured again. Come the summer, what better option is there going to be than Ginobili? The championship chances without Ginobili would be slim to none. I'd like the chances better of re-signing Ginobili and hoping he didn't suffer an injury for the fourth year in a row.

Basically, no matter what happens between now and the end of the season, I believe that Ginobili needs to be re-signed. If he does well, a two-year, $18-22M deal could be fair. If he does poorly to end the season, you can probably retain him for two years and $12-15M.

When it comes down to it, even a hypothetically 70% Manu is more of a championship player than anyone the Spurs could get for the MLE.

wildbill2u
01-20-2010, 03:54 PM
Damn I hate it that he feels the Spurs don't appreciate him enough to resign him. I hurt for Manu if that is the case.

spurs10
01-20-2010, 05:01 PM
In a right world, Manu will remain with the Spurs and we'll all be watching when they retire his jersey. I know a great solution to all this speculation...dig down deep and win the championship. It's happened before!!!!

temujin
01-20-2010, 05:06 PM
The Dick Jefferson trade comes into play bigtime now. Manu is making $10million to provide scoring/spark off bench and intagibles. However, in the playoffs is where the spurs want him to do damage. He could be average during the season and play out of his mind during the playoffs. Thats what they want. They want to monitor his minutes during the regular season and let him go all out in the playoffs. His money is mainly being earned in the playoffs, since he is so injury proned. The part that is sour for Manu is that the spurs paid RJ $14million to sit around and do nothing except serve up a few facials here and there. For $6-8million the Spurs could have gotten several other pieces that filled that need. So, on one hand they wait around to resign him(even ceasing talks altogether) and with the other hand they reach deep into there pockets to get a guy who hasnt proven to do much in "winning time" for 2 years $29million. I'd be pissed, wouldnt you?

Absolutely correct.

pad300
01-20-2010, 05:59 PM
Smaller deals may be possible during the season, but the price goes up if a healthy Manu is a FA on July 1st. Even if he plays at his current level through the remainder of the regular season and playoffs, it will take at least 2yrs/20M to keep him if he hits free agency.

Your out of your tree... At his current level, no one is going to offer an SG making 25% of his shots more than the MLE. He's having his worst year since 03/04.

All this worrying is massively overdone. The Spurs will offer him slightly more than the MLE, and no one else is going to offer more than that. Neither the lakers ($84 Million to 8 players including Kobe and Browns options) , nor the Celtics ($64 million to 7 player, including Paul Pierce's option) are in a cap position to offer more than the MLE. The Rockets (Scola), maybe, but I can't see them doing it. The Kings (Nocioni), say NO WAY, he's just too old for their core.

TMTTRIO
01-20-2010, 06:09 PM
I'm starting to think with the things that he's expressing he's gone. In a recent article he said that he always have a good relationship with Pop even if he was playing somewhere else. I think if the Spurs fail to make it all the way to the finals Manu's gone. The Spurs won't want to spend a lot on him and he may decide that their chances of going all the way is over and may decide to another team. It was nice in 2004 because he was an Restricted Free Agent and it kept a lot of teams away but this time he's an Unrestricted FA and if he can continue these game changing plays at least he'll get a lot of interest.

Mel_13
01-20-2010, 06:12 PM
Your out of your tree... At his current level, no one is going to offer an SG making 25% of his shots more than the MLE. He's having his worst year since 03/04.

All this worrying is massively overdone. The Spurs will offer him slightly more than the MLE, and no one else is going to offer more than that. Neither the lakers ($84 Million to 8 players including Kobe and Browns options) , nor the Celtics ($64 million to 7 player, including Paul Pierce's option) are in a cap position to offer more than the MLE. The Rockets (Scola), maybe, but I can't see them doing it. The Kings (Nocioni), say NO WAY, he's just too old for their core.

Well time will tell, notwithstanding who is in or out one's tree. Let's assume that you're right and none of the teams with cap space offer him a deal well in excess of the MLE. IMO, a healthy Manu takes an MLE offer from another contender before he accepts an offer slightly above the MLE from the Spurs. We'll find out the actual numbers when Manu signs his next deal.

NostalgicSpursFan
01-20-2010, 06:55 PM
I hate this conversation but it's a simple conflict of interests. Lets just hope he plays well and it dissolves into a non-issue.

arles
01-20-2010, 07:44 PM
Manu posted something about this in his forum:

Manu:
No lei todo el trade, pero solo comento lo que quise decir con "Ya no espero que los Spurs renueven mi contrato":

Aca renovar, se le llama a extender el contrato antes que expire, o sea... creo que voy a ser un free agent, sí. Pero dentro de las posibilidades a futuro, es que como free agent, firme con los Spurs nuevamente. Se entiende??

Repito, no creo que me extiendan, pero eso no significa que mis días en San Antonio estén terminados si no lo hacen. Existe alguna posibilidad que, tanto como yo, analicen el mercado y terminen firmandome de nuevo. A eso me refería.

Translation:

Manu:
I didn't read the whole thread, but I'll just comment about what I meant with "I don't expect the Spurs to renew my contract anymore.":

Here, to renew is to extend the contract before it expires, I mean... I think I'm gonna be a free agent, yes. But of all my future possibilities, as a free agent, I could sign with the Spurs again. Is it clear?

I repeat, I don't think they'll extend my contract, but that doesn't mean that my days in San Antonio are over if they don't do it. There is a possibility that, as well a I will, they'll analyze the market and end up signing me again. That's what I meant.

Source: http://www.manuginobili.com/foro/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=32180&start=40

See ya

SenorSpur
01-20-2010, 07:49 PM
I ripped TP for whining about his injuries. I'll have to be an equal opportunity critic and say that Manu needs to stop complaining about his contract situation. Being all emotional about how he thought it was more than just a business or whatever doesn't make much sense considering this is the bed he made. He could have already signed an extension but decided against it. After getting hurt, delaying his surgery, trying to regain his footing mid-flow, getting hurt again to end the season and then suffering a season-ending injury the subsequent season due to the improper gait brought on by the original injury ... I can't really fathom how Ginobili is seemingly confused by the situation. If he wanted, he could already have the money in hand. He rolled the dice; live with the consequences.

That said, I can't think of a scenario in that re-signing Ginobili doesn't make sense. Let's say *knock on wood* Ginobili gets injured again. Come the summer, what better option is there going to be than Ginobili? The championship chances without Ginobili would be slim to none. I'd like the chances better of re-signing Ginobili and hoping he didn't suffer an injury for the fourth year in a row.

Basically, no matter what happens between now and the end of the season, I believe that Ginobili needs to be re-signed. If he does well, a two-year, $18-22M deal could be fair. If he does poorly to end the season, you can probably retain him for two years and $12-15M.

When it comes down to it, even a hypothetically 70% Manu is more of a championship player than anyone the Spurs could get for the MLE.

Well stated. :tu

Ed Helicopter Jones
01-20-2010, 07:55 PM

I think that sounds about right. Considering Manu's history of injuries I don't see another team offering him more than that.

This next offseason is going to be very interesting. The Manu situation should make for some good drama. RJ's expiring contract also could create some interesting trade possibilities.

Of course, my hope is that the Spurs win it all this year, putting a little more pressure on the FO to keep Manu happy.

carina_gino20
01-20-2010, 07:58 PM
Didn't see this posted anywhere, so I think I'll just put it here.

Ginóbili: "Sé que si no voy al Mundial, me van a terminar matando (http://www.clarin.com/diario/2010/01/20/um/m-02123565.htm)

MmP
01-20-2010, 08:07 PM
Manu ended the controvery with that post in his forum. He's saying he'll be a free agent but doesn't mean he can't continue to be a Spur. He just doesn't think he'll be extended and that at this point of the season (with the Spurs struggling) wouldn't make much sense.
What I do perceibe is him being a little tentative about leaving, putting pressure on the other side of the table.

Please please, watch out when you translate a Spanish articles, words in two languages can be tricky.

Manu-of-steel
01-20-2010, 08:40 PM
I think Manu has already realized he can't be doing international bball at his age. He has his gold medal, he had his glory days, now it's time to let it all go and focus on the team that got him 3 rings in the most prestigious league in the world

I agree. Manu at this point will likely stay out of the NT. Getting injured in international games would most likely signal an end to his career, and he has a family to feed. He has shown his loyalty to his country, it's now time for him to focus on his personal life.

raspsa
01-20-2010, 08:53 PM
I really hope things work out and Manu retires a Spur.

Manu-of-steel
01-20-2010, 08:59 PM

Agree. a 70%Manu is still a valuable asset for the spurs than any free agent with the same salary as his. There are many talented players available, but to the spurs, manu fits to a tee.

barbacoataco
01-20-2010, 10:23 PM
If the Spurs win a championship or get real close, I think Ginobili will be back. Winning has a way of smoothing over hard feelings on all sides.

Given this interview, if the FO might not want to sign Ginobili to a new contract, wouldn't that mean there is a chance he will be traded before the deadline? If they really are not including him in future plans, why not use his expiring contract to get someone if possible?

ffadicted
01-20-2010, 10:28 PM
Looks like Manu was reading spurs talk this morning :smokin

exstatic
01-20-2010, 10:30 PM
If he stays healthy he will be re-signed. I would be pretty shocked otherwise.

I think the Spurs are just playing it cautious. I believe they can offer him an extension right up to 30 June. If he shows good health all the way through the playoffs, SA will get it done.

Rick Von Braun
01-21-2010, 02:14 AM

I am reading this thread sequentially, so I apologize if this comment has been made already (later in the thread).

You may need to reevaluate that statement. A starting lineup of:

PG Manu
SG Kobe
SF Artest
PF Gasol
C Bynum

would wreck havoc in the NBA. Can you imagine the triple threat of Manu/Kobe/Artest roaming the perimeter while Gasol and Bynum protect the paint! Sheesh... it gives me goose bumps to just think about it.

Allanon
01-21-2010, 02:22 AM
I am reading this thread sequentially, so I apologize if this comment has been made already (later in the thread).

You may need to reevaluate that statement. A starting lineup of:

PG Manu
SG Kobe
SF Artest
PF Gasol
C Bynum

would wreck havoc in the NBA. Can you imagine the triple threat of Manu/Kobe/Artest roaming the perimeter while Gasol and Bynum protect the paint! Sheesh... it gives me goose bumps to just think about it.

I approve. Sounds like Manu has the desire but the Spurs aren't interested in re-signing Manu.

Even Manu off the Bench would be pretty bad-ass:
Manu
Odom
Shannon Brown
Farmar

Get it done Mitch. Hispanic LA would idolize Manu.

DesignatedT
01-21-2010, 02:25 AM
Ginobili saying that he wouldnt accept an extension if we offered it right now? wtf is that all about.

Its not the spurs fault that they continously told him not to play overseas because something like an injury would happen. its not the spurs fault that he single handedly ruined our chance for a championship last year.

he should know why the spurs are being tentative and he should understand why they are.

him saying he wouldnt accept an offer and is looking forward to seeing his options show more disrespect on his part than what the spurs have done.

All this SPURS want is proof that he can last an NBA season healthy with no significant injuries... Him saying that HE WILL NOT participate in international basketball would also give the spurs some reassurance......

He still after what happened to him wont say that hes done with FIBA ball....and that IMO is ridiculous. not anything the spurs have done

e20dylan
01-21-2010, 03:15 AM
fuck this shit. manu is a hall of fame player. his jersey will be retired here. AND he will be resigned. SHUT THE FUCK UP