PDA

View Full Version : ESPN Spurs/Nuggets Game 2 Insider Breakdown

Amuseddaysleeper
04-27-2005, 04:20 PM
Scouting Report: Spurs-NuggetsBy Brian James
ESPN Insider
Archive

The San Antonio Spurs knew going into this series that they would be playing the hottest team since the All Star break in the Denver Nuggets. The Nuggets' 25-4 second-half record speaks for itself. After a wake-up call and a 93-87 home loss, the real Spurs must show up or we could have an upset in the making. Let's break the two teams down and see how they match up.

Point guard
Spurs: Tony Parker was accused by the national media of not taking Game 1 seriously enough. He has promised to atone for any miscues in Game 2, as he says Denver will see the real Parker. Defensively, he could not keep a stronger Andre Miller out of the lane area. Parker must get his team easier shots by using his quickness on the break, getting into the lane by breaking his defenders down, and using the screen-roll to get shots for him and his teammates. It will be interesting to see how he brings it to Game 2. He has been dominant at times in the past.
BRIAN JAMES' SCOUTING REPORTS
Rockets vs. Mavericks

Pacers vs. Celtics

Nets vs. Heat

76ers-Pistons

Sonics-Kings

More scouting reports, updates coming soon

Nuggets: Miller torched the Spurs for 31 points, including a half-court bank shot just before the half. The Spurs used four defenders on Miller: Parker, Bruce Bowen, Beno Udrih and Manu Ginobili. All failed to keep Miller out of the lane. Miller has not played this well since his Cleveland Cavaliers days. He is an excellent player from the free-throw line and under and is strong enough to finish shots after taking a hit. If his perimeter shot if falling, look out.

Advantage: Slight edge to the Nuggets

Off guard
Spurs: Defender Bowen can't forget about looking for his shot. He took only one attempt in Game 1. He plays the tough physical style of defense, frustrating his opponents. He has been accused of clutching and grabbing like a defensive back in football. His game is fundamentally sound physically and mentally at the defensive end. He is also known as an excellent 3-point shooter, especially from the corners. As we have talked about before, he needs to be a better free-throw shooter.
Nuggets: In Game 1, DerMarr Johnson got the start. This position has been a revolving door for the Nuggets since Voshon Lenard tore his Achilles on opening night. Johnson is a tall, lanky athlete with a huge wingspan that he uses to his advantage at each end. Don't underestimate his 3-point range. He can make perimeter shots. You must make him score off the dribble.

Advantage: Spurs

Small forward
Spurs: Ginobili is truly one of my favorite players to watch. He plays so hard and can beat you in so many different ways. He scored 23 points in Game 1. He is coach Gregg Popovichh's wild card. Pop has somewhat of an idea what his other players are going to do. With Ginobili, he just lets him go and attack. He can score from anywhere and defend you as well.
Nuggets: Carmelo Anthony has been in and out of George Karl's doghouse. I think that Anthony is starting to see the light. Early in the season, the ball would stick in his hands, and his teammates would watch him play one-on-one. Now, he is taking his shot quicker, getting down the floor for quicker post-ups, and moving the ball with authority. His stats took a nosedive earlier, as well, because he wasn't in great condition. If he is on his game offensively, no small forward in the game can put the ball in the basket as much as Anthony in spurts. The Spurs will challenge him on defense, going right at him with Ginobili.

Advantage: Slight overall edge to the Spurs

Power forward
Spurs: The $64 million question is, how is Tim Duncan's ankle? Duncan started out fast in Game 1, but faded in the fourth quarter when his team needed him the most. He missed all seven field goals he took in the period. That was an indication that he wasn't getting the lift he normally does. Everything he shot in the second half was below the rim. If he can't perform at his usual All Star level, the Nuggets can win this series. If his bank shot from either block is falling and he contests every inside shot on defense, he is feeling good.
Nuggets: Kenyon Martin is playing at a high level right now. His intense style is rubbing off on everyone in a powder-blue uniform. If he sets a screen either on or off the ball, Martin immediately runs to the rim looking for a lob pass if his man shows out to help with the guard at all. Karl rewards Martin's defense with calls or quick post-ups to Martin on the offensive end. Early in the season, the ball was sticking in his hands as well, as he wanted to become more of a scorer. The way he plays now is working into his strengths. Double-doubles usually translate into Nuggets' victories.

Advantage: Spurs, only if Duncan is 100 percent

Center
Spurs: Rasho Nesterovic was unavailable to play in Game 1. As a result, the Spurs turned to Nazr Mohammed, who played 30 minutes against Marcus Camby and Martin. Mohammed can make the short jump shots and the jump hook in close and has the length to bother people inside. Popovich felt that the Spurs needed more length to add to their depth inside and Mohammed justified their faith. The Spurs do miss what Nesterovic brings to the table in terms of his shot-blocking abilities on and off the ball in their defensive schemes. They really missed not having another big body in Game 1.
Nuggets: Camby has had his best year in his career, in my opinion. He now comes to play every night with effort and understands now how to be a pro. Karl feels he is a candidate for defensive player of the year. He either blocks a shot or alters the ones he doesn't get to and then tries to get the rebound. You had better block him out, because he is running in to stuff any missed shot. He is the swingman in the Nuggets' early offense on top, and this way he can attack the glass. He even puts the ball on the floor now, going to his right and making the mid-range jump shot. The Nuggets struggled late last season when he was on the IR.

Advantage: Nuggets

Bench
Spurs Devin Brown and Nesterovic have been good players in the past but received DNP's in Game 1. But Udrih, Brent Barry, Glenn Robinson and Robert Horry will have to knock down shots, not turn the ball over, and stretch the defense so Duncan does his thing with the second unit. Horry is usually at his best in the postseason. Every player I've mentioned can score with the best of them. Popovich feels this is his quickest and deepest team ever in San Antonio.
Nuggets: No one adds to a game what Earl Boykins does, even when he's coming in late in the first quarter. How do you stay in front of him defensively? The Spurs should know he does look to score first, then pass if the opportunity presents itself. That is not a knock on him. The Nuggets need him to bring them points. Greg Buckner stresses defense and Wesley Person gives them a quality catch-and-shoot player. Nene Hilario would start for many teams and brings a post threat off the bench. Karl can go even 12 players deep, as Bryon Russell, Eduardo Najera, and Francisco Elson contributed in so many ways in the final months but received DNPs in Game 1.

Advantage: Even

Coaching
Spurs: I've always felt that Gregg Popovich might be the best coach in the NBA. He consistently gets his players to play at a high level, and he excels at game management and X's and O's. The Spurs are the model franchise.
Nuggets: George Karl has done the best job I've seen taking over a team midway through a season. His team responded with excellent play, losing to only two different teams after the break. He believes in speedy play but with unselfish ball movement, and getting into quick post-ups instead of holding the ball for isolations. He has great after timeout plays.

Advantage: Even

Keys to Game 1
Spurs: Their inconsistent 3-point shooting helped do them in. The Spurs were only 3-for-13 for 23.1 percent. Popovichh said his team played hard but not smart. The last 15 seconds of the first half was an example of this, as the Nuggets scored eight points during that short span due to turnovers and bad decisions. This helped change the complexion of the entire game. The Spurs missed 17 straight shots in the fourth period, which really hurt. Their top-rated defense (in points allowed) still was almost good enough to win the game, though. Overconfidence will not be a factor in Game 2.
Nuggets: Their physical style of play on defense, I believe, caught the Spurs somewhat off guard. Miller played at such a high level that clearly he was the best player on the floor in Game 1. He carried the Nuggets to the victory with his play at both ends. The Nuggets didn't settle for 3-point shots, as they attempted only six. They attacked from the mid-range area and in. Their confidence level is high and you can see it in their body language.

Adjustments for Game 2
Spurs: They obviously need Duncan to be more mobile throughout the game than he was in Game 1. They have watched the Dallas Mavericks play and lose twice at home, so the Spurs know that an 0-2 deficit is a definite possibility. Keeping Miller out of the lane, winning the rebounding battle, and getting opportunities to score off their defense is what has carried them for years. They want this back tonight. Knock down more shots with better ball movement and have Parker set the table for this. The season could be on the line tonight.
Nuggets: Don't be satisfied with a split. They have seen the Houston Rockets score two upsets in Dallas. Keep getting fast-break points, steals in the open court, and allow no layups on the defensive end. The Nuggets, I'm sure, feel they need to move the ball even more since they totaled only 12 assists in Game 1 but still won because of Miller's one-on-one play. The inside combination of Martin, Camby, Nene and Anthony must continue to bring its play to a high level and win this battle inside.

Original prediction
The Spurs in six games and this depends on how Duncan performs. If he is not healthy, it could spell trouble. I do still believe in this team, though, so I'm holding firm until I can see how Game 2 unfolds.
Brian James, a former assistant coach with the Pistons, Raptors and Wizards, is a regular contributor to Insider.

Brodels
04-27-2005, 04:23 PM
Fuck all that. It's time to sack up and get it done.

I believe. Bring it.

T Park
04-27-2005, 04:25 PM
I've always felt that Gregg Popovich might be the best coach in the NBA

This guy obviously didn't listen to the wisdom of Whottt and Aggie before writing this.

This guy is obviously a blind popsucking homer too.

Phonzie20
04-27-2005, 04:30 PM
Fuck all that. It's time to sack up and get it done.

I believe. Bring it.

Getting a little 'into' it eh?

Phonzie20
04-27-2005, 04:31 PM
I don't understand the Parker media blame. So he walked in with his girlfriend. Wow!

Dre owned him plain and simple.

Phonzie20
04-27-2005, 04:35 PM
and also.. eva's show is owned by ABC... Coincidence? I think not. The ABC/ESPN powers that be ar eating this up.

tekdragon
04-27-2005, 04:37 PM
Coaching
Spurs: I've always felt that Gregg Popovich might be the best coach in the NBA. He consistently gets his players to play at a high level, and he excels at game management and X's and O's. The Spurs are the model franchise.

This guy is obviously an idiot. He knows nothing about basketball. If not for Pop, the Spurs would have won the title every year since Duncan arrived, even the year Duncan was hurt and didn't play. If not for Pop's offensive ineptitude, we would have steamrolled through the playoffs that year. Pop sucks. And if you disagree, you're just a biased homer with no objectivity. It's a miracle we ever won with this guy coaching the team. Go fuck yourself.

[/obviousss]

MadDog73
04-27-2005, 04:48 PM
Maybe Tony got a nice bonus from ABC?

Bandit2981
04-27-2005, 04:48 PM
Original prediction
The Spurs in six games and this depends on how Duncan performs. If he is not healthy, it could spell trouble. I do still believe in this team, though, so I'm holding firm until I can see how Game 2 unfolds.
Brian James, a former assistant coach with the Pistons, Raptors and Wizards, is a regular contributor to Insider.
i think its hilarious that many analysts and writers confidently predicted the spurs in 6 games, yet when they lost game 1, the analysts all freaked out and had to rethink their prediction...how in the hell can you call a series to go 6 games and then freak out when 1 loss occurs, knowing beforehand when the prediction was made that the future winner has to lose 2?? :rolleyes

MadDog73
04-27-2005, 04:51 PM
Bandit, where did you get that sig? :lmao

Fuck the analysts, why do people on THIS BOARD freak out when the Spurs lose ONE GAME (and a close one at that).

Bandit2981
04-27-2005, 04:59 PM
Bandit, where did you get that sig? :lmao

Fuck the analysts, why do people on THIS BOARD freak out when the Spurs lose ONE GAME (and a close one at that).
i found the sig while surfing around looking for a Butthead picture actually, and i happened to come across that one...it was too hilarious to pass up!
as for the fans on the board, many will do the same thing in the regular season, the spurs could be 24-0 and if they lose their 25th game to the clippers, the trade demands, bitching , and "we suck" posts surely follow. now that its playoff time, the complaining and geronomo-ing intensify :smokin

boutons
04-27-2005, 05:14 PM
"people on THIS BOARD freak out"

... because of HOW they lost THE FIRST FUCKING PLAYOFF game (and HCA).

Just like they lost half of their season games, by playing like shit, by choking, no intensity, rather than playing a hard, good game and getting beat by a better effort.

Go Spurs Go

MadDog73
04-27-2005, 05:22 PM
"people on THIS BOARD freak out"

... because of HOW they lost THE FIRST FUCKING PLAYOFF game (and HCA).

Just like they lost half of their season games, by playing like shit, by choking, no intensity, rather than playing a hard, good game and getting beat by a better effort.

Go Spurs Go

Hey, I'm pissed the Spurs lost the first game too, but I said Spurs in 6, and losing the first game does not hurt my prediction at all.

And SOME players (Mohammed, Manu) did play hard. I guess you could say Tim "choked". Tony was lacking something in the 2nd half.

It was a close game, and if anything, we were beat by more "luck" (1/2 court shot by Miller for example) than by skill (Nuggets sucked 4th quarter too, just not as bad as Spurs).

Tonight will be a more telling game.

Spurs by 10.

TroyF
04-27-2005, 06:01 PM
I predicted Spurs in 6 before the series started and I'm still leaning to that prediction. I'm incredibly encouraged though. The Nuggets didn't even play close to their best basketball the other night and still stole one. I'll be interested to see how the teams match up when both bring their best to the table. My guess is that happens in game 3, but we'll see.

The Insider article was kind of funny. Melo hasn't been in Karl's doghouse for nearly two full months. He's seen his minutes and production increase during that time. (he scored 24.5 points a game in April on 50% shooting and played 35 minutes a night)

Interesting stuff.

tekdragon
04-27-2005, 06:06 PM
The Nuggets didn't even play close to their best basketball the other night

Two Nuggets had the best playoff game of their career. That's gotta be at least "close" to their best basketball. If not, what is? All 5 starters have career playoff highs?

TroyF
04-27-2005, 06:57 PM
Two Nuggets had the best playoff game of their career. That's gotta be at least "close" to their best basketball. If not, what is? All 5 starters have career playoff highs?

Ummm. . . which two exactly?

While Dre was sensational, he struggled late. Didn't hit a shot in the second half. Ended the game 11-24. Melo was average (Bowen can do that) KMart played below average. Camby below average (on offense) Dermarr took two shots.

This is something I've been trying to convey to your board. Sunday night wasn't even close to how good this Nuggets team is. While I predicted and still predict a Spurs win, you didn't see this team play the way they can.

The ball movement was poor. The shooting was average. The fast break was cut off by SA. You guys keep thinking you've seen the best of this team and I promise you that you haven't.

This isn't a normal 7 seed you are dealing with. This is a team that went 21-1 with Camby in the lineup after the break. They are 16-0 with both Camby and KMart in the lineup. The Spurs played horrible Sunday night. If the Nuggets had played their A game, you'd have lost by 20.

tekdragon
04-27-2005, 07:24 PM
i thought miller and camby both had career playoff highs...

is that not right? i was sure i read that somewhere...

eh...short term memory definitely fails me sometimes. i've always wondered why...

i asked bigzak what might be causing it, but he couldn't remember.

TroyF
04-27-2005, 08:13 PM
i thought miller and camby both had career playoff highs...

is that not right? i was sure i read that somewhere...

eh...short term memory definitely fails me sometimes. i've always wondered why...

i asked bigzak what might be causing it, but he couldn't remember.

Camby had 12 on 3-9 shooting.

Well, you didn't see the Nuggets at their best tonight. You saw them at their worst. No defensive rotation. The ball movement has been 25x better, we just can't hit anything.

I'm sure a lot will be made of the Spurs defense, but Denver just can't hit anything tonight. Layups, threes, 15 footers. It just doesn't matter. We are getting plenty of open shots, not a single one is falling.

I layed out the way to beat the Nuggets in another thread. Run at them, hit your threes, force them to shoot from the outside. . . You did it all tonight.

I'm sure I'm going to hear some of the "see you played your best garbage", but I can assure you we didn't. This is our worst.

This is about as well as you can play offensively, but you can play better defensively. We are getting a TON of open looks. It's a shame we can't stick a few of em. This would have been a fun game.

Oh well. We'll get you at The Pepsi Center on Saturday. We either show our best then, or you take control of the series. I think we show our best and we beat you on Saturday. I've always thought Monday will be the key game in the series.