PDA

View Full Version : Game Thoughts: Spurs @ Hornets - Jan. 18

timvp
01-20-2010, 03:19 PM
Things didn't look too bright heading into Monday afternoon's game against the New Orleans Hornets. Not only had the San Antonio Spurs lost two straight contests, they were playing their third game in three and a half days against a Hornets team that was 15-3 at home. However, the Spurs didn't just win the contest, they won it with relative ease.

Though the Spurs allowed numerous runs, they never trailed in the game and led by as many as 21 points. When the lead was trimmed to eight points halfway through the fourth, Tony Parker stepped up and scored eight of the next ten points to put New Orleans to bed on the way to the 97-90 W.

As for the Hornets, they continue to look like their chemistry needs a lot of work. That 2008 New Orleans team was a well-oiled machine. This squad? They are disjointed, lack consistent energy and just don't look like a true contender.

After two lackluster efforts, this was a great win for the Spurs. They bounced back and showed a lot of heart and determination by getting a victory in the last game of a brutal stretch.

Tim Duncan
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/.e1d/img/4.0/global/basketball/nba/players/3173.jpg
37:25 minutes, 21 points, 14 rebounds, 3 assists, 2 blocks
7-for-15 from the field, 7-for-12 at the line

Tim Duncan came out of the gates playing at an extremely high level. His work on both ends of the court basically removed Emeka Okafor from the equation for New Orleans. Duncan was quick and strong with his decisions offensively, which allowed him to get to the line while finishing with only one turnover. Duncan's 12 free throw attempts were a season-high. On defense, he protected the rim well, although his quickness when defending David West was sub par. Overall, it was another quality effort from the franchise's foundation.

-------------------------------

Manu Ginobili
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/.e1d/img/4.0/global/basketball/nba/players/3380.jpg
34:37 minutes, 11 points, 6 assists, 6 rebounds, 3 steals, 3 turnovers
3-for-9 from the field, 1-for-3 on three-pointers, 4-for-7 at the line

Manu Ginobili is making a habit of this type of outing. He played very well in his early minutes and authored an all-around game that featured fantastic passing, effort on the boards, energy on defense and a few hoops on offense. However, as has been the case lately, his effectiveness lessened as the game went on and by the fourth quarter he didn't seem to have his legs anymore. Ginobili hit just one-fourth of his shots in the road trip (10-for-40) but helped in a lot of other ways. That said, the Spurs obviously need him to remember how to put the ball in the basket with better accuracy.

Tony Parker
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/.e1d/img/4.0/global/basketball/nba/players/3527.jpg
38:14 minutes, 25 points, 4 rebounds, 3, assists
10-for-21 from the field, 5-for-6 at the line

Coming off one of his worst two-game stretches in years, a hellish matchup versus Chris Paul appeared to be exactly what the doctor warned against. But somehow Parker summoned energy and shook off his struggles with an impressive performance. He carved up New Orleans' defense in the first half -- going 8-for-14 from the field. Parker was silent in the second half until the previously mentioned one-man run ensured victory. It wasn't a great game by Parker but it was much, much better than what we saw in the last two outings.

Keith Bogans
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/.e1d/img/4.0/global/basketball/nba/players/3746.jpg
23:34 minutes, 9 points, 3 turnovers
3-for-5 from the field, 3-for-5 on three-pointers

After hitting only three of his previous 18 three-pointers, Keith Bogans found the range against the Hornets. His 3-for-5 shooting from beyond the arc helped spread the defense and opened the lane for his teammates. His three turnovers gives him eight in his last two games. In his previous 11 outings, Bogans had only three turnovers total. Defensively, he did decent work against Peja Stojakovic -- but it was nothing to write home about.

DeJuan Blair
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/.e1d/img/4.0/global/basketball/nba/players/4642.jpg
33:18 minutes, 8 points, 13 rebounds, 2 turnovers
3-for-7 from the field, 2-for-6 at the line

I though DeJuan Blair quietly took another step forward on Monday against the Hornets. His defense against West was very good. Blair used his quickness to cut off West's drives and his length to challenge the jumpers. When the Hornets went small, Blair played good enough defense on the perimeter to stay in the game. In addition to being his usual beastly self on the boards, Blair's tenacity with the ball on offense served him well.

George Hill
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/images/basketball/nba/players/4488.jpg
37:10 minutes, 16 points, 6 rebounds
5-for-12 from the field, 2-for-6 on three-pointers

With Richard Jefferson sidelined, George Hill got the start alongside Parker in the backcourt. On offense, Parker ran the show while Hill moved to shooting guard. Though Hill started out slow on the offensive end, he eventually became more aggressive and his efficiency increased. When called to play point guard, Hill didn't do a very good job. In fact, he now has only one assist in his last 132 minutes of action. Defensively, Hill had a hand in limiting Chris Paul to 18 points and nine assists -- though honestly I thought Paul's relatively quiet game was due just as much (if not more) to passive play by the Hornets superstar.

Roger Mason, Jr.
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/images/basketball/nba/players/3628.jpg
14:04 minutes, 5 points, 4 rebounds
2-for-6 from the field, 1-for-3 on three-pointers

Roger Mason, Jr. didn't have a very good outing. He missed open shots and then got benched for losing sight of his man on the defensive end. As a result, Mason only played one minute in the second half. He has performed better as of late but it'd be nice if the second-year Spur could string together a few above average games.

Antonio McDyess
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/.e1d/img/4.0/global/basketball/nba/players/3004.jpg
15:37 minutes, 2 points, 2 rebounds
0-for-2 from the field, 2-for-2 at the line

In is return from a one-game absence due to a pinched nerve in his neck, Antonio McDyess was quiet. He didn't hurt the Spurs on either end but he wasn't exactly giving the Spurs much production. Spurs fans continue to wait for the real Antonio McDyess to stand up.

Matt Bonner
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/.e1d/img/4.0/global/basketball/nba/players/3748.jpg
6:01 minutes
0-for-1 from the field

Matt Bonner missed 15 games due a broken bone in his hand. He was back on the court for the Spurs with a large contraption on his hand that is meant to supply padding. That thing on his hand was the only interesting aspect about Bonner's return. On offense, he was painfully tentative and looked woefully out of rhythm, which isn't too surprising. Defensively, Bonner was equally as weak. Since he's a player that relies on consistent minutes in a consistent role, it'll likely take him a week or two before he's firing on all cylinders again.

Gregg Popovich
http://dailyelements.com/pop-stoic.jpg

Pop made a few very good decision on Monday. Starting Hill to guard Paul worked out well. I also like how he stuck with Blair -- even when the Hornets tried to dictate the matchups to get him out of the game. On the other hand, I'm somewhat worried with how many minutes he played the Big 3. I also thought it would have been better for Pop to wait for the homestand to unveil Bonner.

Offense

The Spurs put 97 points on the board but did it in an unconventional way. They shot just 42.3% from the field while hitting 7-of-18 three-pointers and amassing only 13 assists. But San Antonio got to the line 38 times, pulled down 16 offensive rebounds and finished with just ten turnovers. Although their offense got less and less fluid as the game went along, the Spurs kept scratching and clawing to put points on the board.

Defense

The defense had its strengths and weaknesses against the Hornets. New Orleans shot 45.8% from the floor and had 25 assists to just nine turnovers. Where the Spurs thrived was limiting three-pointers (4-for-13) and free throws (10-for-12) while outrebounding the Hornets (50-38).

Drive to Five

To end the month of January, the Spurs have a six-game homestand. The Rodeo Roap Trip begins afterward so it's imperative that the Spurs do well over the next dozen days. The homestand kicks off with a game against the Utah Jazz on Wednesday.

Believe.

urunobili
01-20-2010, 03:22 PM
thank you timvp :tu

ffadicted
01-20-2010, 03:31 PM
Great post, and overall I think it was a very good game by the spurs. I wish we wouldn't have let them back in the game like we did, but I guess teams are going to have runs like that no matter what. With that said, I like how the spurs responded to their efforts, tightened their play and put the game away.

Looking forward to the Utah game tonight, already lost the series to them but come on spurs let's at least take one!

To end the month of January, the Spurs have a six-game homestand. The Rodeo Roap Trip begins afterward so it's imperative that the Spurs do well over the next dozen days.

:hungry::hungry::hungry::hungry:

Flux451
01-20-2010, 03:31 PM
Thanks for the recap.

I was pleased to see Hill starting and guarding Paul. I am pretty sure if RJ was starting and TP or Bogan guarded Paul, Chris would have had a better first half and made the game more diffucult. It's interesting seeing Hill getting more PT in the latter end of games now. I think it is a good move, even if it means benching of the big 3. His defensive is getting consistently better. Let's just hope he doesn't run into too mnay bad offensive spells.

timvp
01-20-2010, 04:19 PM
I was pleased to see Hill starting and guarding Paul. I am pretty sure if RJ was starting and TP or Bogan guarded Paul, Chris would have had a better first half and made the game more diffucult.

It was a somewhat risky move by Pop because Hill has gotten lit up by CP3 in almost all of the previous meetings. It worked out well this time, though.

Manufan909
01-20-2010, 04:43 PM
Timvp, do you think Blair could possibly avg half an hour next year? He, Dice, and Tim are the only sure bigs for next season, with Bonner/Ian/Tiago all being questionable. If he shows stamina in the last quarter of the season and playoffs, I think he would get at least 25 mpg in '10-'11.

timvp
01-20-2010, 04:58 PM
Timvp, do you think Blair could possibly avg half an hour next year? He, Dice, and Tim are the only sure bigs for next season, with Bonner/Ian/Tiago all being questionable. If he shows stamina in the last quarter of the season and playoffs, I think he would get at least 25 mpg in '10-'11.

Blair strikes me as a big who will be best playing 22-25 minutes per game. Even in college, he was a limited-minute player. I doubt he ever averages 30+ minutes in the NBA.

That said, Blair continues to surprise and overshoot expectations.

AussieFanKurt
01-20-2010, 05:31 PM
thanks braah

quentin_compson
01-20-2010, 06:06 PM
[...] the Spurs didn't just win the contest, they won it with relative ease.

In the end, that's true, but boy, all those missed FTs when the Hornets put in one of their little runs sure made me nervous as hell. :lol

Still a good game and a great way to give the right answer to the last two outings, but somehow, a lot of questions still remain unanswered:
Is Dice really going to get rolling in the second half of the season?
Is Manu going to be able to perform on a high level consistently (and will his shot come back)?
What about Bogans and his production on the offensive end? Will we just have to hope for nights when he is going to hit some shots?

TP was very good in my opinion. And Duncan will never cease to amaze me, I guess.

Chieflion
01-20-2010, 06:27 PM
It was about time they played those minutes anyway. Those road games seeing Pop trying to manage everyone's minutes really screwed up our chances of winning. I posted that all of Parker, Ginobili and Jefferson played lesser minutes on the road anyway. Hopefully, this will help them get some chemistry. It is easy to let the Hornets back in when Marcus Thornton, the rookie, scored 14 4th quarter points anyway.

Brazil
01-20-2010, 06:44 PM
I'm beginning to be worried about Dice... he is a ghost

Chieflion
01-20-2010, 06:51 PM
Screw Dice. The Spus decided to roll the dice with Dice and he hasn't shown anything, his insignificant production of 5.8 and 5.1 is not helping the Spurs. The Spurs may have made a wrong gamble with Dice after all.

Brazil
01-20-2010, 06:55 PM
Screw Dice. The Spus decided to roll the dice with Dice and he hasn't shown anything, his insignificant production of 5.8 and 5.1 is not helping the Spurs. The Spurs may have made a wrong gamble with Dice after all.

I still hope he will be very useful for the PO. I don't see Pop giving 25 min to Blair during the POs

Chieflion
01-20-2010, 07:02 PM
I still hope he will be very useful for the PO. I don't see Pop giving 25 min to Blair during the POs
Yep, lets hope the Spurs recoup their losses in the offseason with a big bang.

ffadicted
01-20-2010, 07:31 PM

Too true, this doesn't look like the McDyess of last season at all, a humongous drop off. He always look lost on offense, especially when Manu "Steve Nash" Ginobili gives him a pass he isn't expecting.

I'm still hanging on to the hope of Dice being a 10 - 8 guy in the latter half of the season/playoffs though

Manu-of-steel
01-20-2010, 10:10 PM
Thanks for the recap, timvp.