PDA

View Full Version : San Antonio Residents!!

Mhak
01-20-2010, 03:24 PM
I currently live in LA home of the fakers. I've been wanting to move to San Antonio. I am a die hard fan of the spurs.. Can you please let me know the pros and cons so atleast i will have a good statement to try and convince my long time GF to move there with me.

Thanks in advance.

I. Hustle
01-20-2010, 03:34 PM
Well for one the cost of living. That should be enough to convince anyone.

murpjf88
01-20-2010, 03:37 PM
I currently live in LA home of the fakers. I've been wanting to move to San Antonio. I am a die hard fan of the spurs.. Can you please let me know the pros and cons so atleast i will have a good statement to try and convince my long time GF to move there with me.

Thanks in advance.

I don't live in San Antonio so I can't help you their. But, I hope your not planning to move to SA just because of the spurs.

Ditty
01-20-2010, 03:40 PM
Pretty much San Antonio is a smaller LA without all the movie stars

FalleNxWiZarDx
01-20-2010, 03:41 PM
come live in the Stone Oak area, its great

I. Hustle
01-20-2010, 03:43 PM
Shit, you can buy a badass house for what you would pay for a hut in LA. You could live in Stone Oak but there are douche bag Cavs fans there.

Kori Ellis
01-20-2010, 03:48 PM
I moved from Los Angeles to San Antonio seven years ago, after living in L.A. for 17 years.

- S.A. cost of living much, much less...everything from houses to groceries is a fraction of the cost.

- S.A. is really laid back. If you like the constant action of Los Angeles, then stay there. When I first moved here, I was constantly thinking that people need to hurry up.

- People in S.A. are much nicer, in general. In L.A., I lived in the same house for many years and had no idea who my next door neighbors were. Here it's a very "family" oriented place while L.A. is great if you are in your college years. S.A. is a better place to settle down.

Of course if you like the beach, lots of nightlife, etc, then San Antonio isn't for you.

bobby4germany
01-20-2010, 03:48 PM
You should look for a house on the east side! :hat

wildbill2u
01-20-2010, 03:51 PM

Thanks in advance.

Tell her you have a built in bunch of friends through Spurs Talk, all of whom will hit on her if she looks good.

Some will hit on her even if she doesn't look good.

FkLA
01-20-2010, 03:56 PM
I don't live in San Antonio so I can't help you their. But, I hope your not planning to move to SA just because of the spurs.

Seriously lol

Talk about dedication to the Spurs.

Spurlady
01-20-2010, 04:03 PM
Kori provided a lot of good reasons. Some more: less smog, reasonable traffic (although it's getting worse), a solid job market, decent weather (don't count last summer), nice people--we know all our neighbors too
Take some time to find out where you'd like to live though. Different neighborhoods and different suburbs have very different personalities.

admiralsnackbar
01-20-2010, 04:08 PM
Pros:

Spurs.

Low cost of living.

Negligible traffic (by LA standards).

Omnipresent real Tex-Mex food, cheap.

Friendly people, laid back lifestyle.

Location (An hour or less from several lakes, rivers, and hill country towns including Austin. A few hours from the gulf of Mexico, Mexico proper, Houston, and Dallas. A day trip away from mountains, mesas, New Orleans, central Mexico.)

Culture: this is the most Mexican-influenced large city in Texas, if you're into that.

Business: the city's doing a pretty good job of positioning its Port San Antonio as a centralized routing hub for large corporations, meaning many new jobs are on the way. Additionally, several large corporations are -- or have already been -- persuaded to set up manufacturing facilities here. There's a large and growing health-tech community. Best of all, the large military and academic presence helps keep housing prices stable.

Lower Crime (again, comparatively).

The riverwalk and old neighborhoods around downtown.

Cons:

The heat.

The allergies (among the highest counts of mountain cedar/juniper and oak pollen, as well as copious mold).

The lack of real diversity: Even though we're home to a surprisingly ethnically diverse population, we're still a fairly segregated city, meaning there isn't much interplay between communities.

Lack of culture: Few theaters, art galleries, symphonies, alternative movie theaters, music venues compared to most cities our size. Also fewer college grads than you'd expect from a city with so many colleges/universities.

The sprawl to green-space ratio is heavily biased towards sprawl.

The riverwalk.

Fpoonsie
01-20-2010, 04:13 PM
Pros:

Culture: this is the most Mexican-influenced large city in Texas, if you're into that.

The riverwalk and old neighborhoods around downtown.

Cons:

Lack of culture: Few theaters, art galleries, symphonies, alternative movie theaters, music venues compared to most cities our size. Also fewer college grads than you'd expect from a city with so many colleges/universities.

The riverwalk.

:lol Gladjoo made it over here, Adm.

Oh, and "real Tex-Mex" sounds funny.

admiralsnackbar
01-20-2010, 04:19 PM
:lol Gladjoo made it over here, Adm.

Oh, and "real Tex-Mex" sounds funny.

You have a point:lol But for the realz: have you ever had Cali-Mex food? It's Garbage!

I also should have mentioned "real barbeque." California tri-tip ain't got shit on TX-style brisket.

Anyways, good to see you, too, Seņor Fpoonsie. Saludos :toast

Bender
01-20-2010, 04:23 PM
has anyone mentioned no state taxes...?

CA state taxes are kind of high

BigVee
01-20-2010, 04:44 PM
Kind of high? Income and sales tax right at 10%

Spurgio
01-20-2010, 04:47 PM
Been living here for 3 years. I'm going for my masters in Real Estate Finance & development. The Real Estate market here is one of the best in the nation. Weather is similar to LA. You won't spend hours in traffic everyday. Northwest side is the best part of town to live in, about 20 minute drive from the AT&T Center. Most of the spurs live around here. Their training facility is right off one of the main roads, so occasionally you'll see Timmy or Manu running up the training hill they have outside if you drive by the right time.