PDA

View Full Version : Suppose The Earth Got Saturn's Rings...

mrsmaalox
01-20-2010, 03:37 PM
From today's Picture Show on NPR:

Suppose The Earth Got Saturn's Rings...

January 20, 2010

By Robert Krulwich

This little video boggled my mind, mostly because it is so precisely imagined. What would our sky look like, asks artist Roy Prol, if the rings of Saturn got transferred to Earth?

Those rings stay put. They don't shift around. But people shift all the time. So, if you lived in Quito, in Ecuador, the rings would be above you, but skinny, like a sharp cut in the sky.

Leave Ecuador for Manhattan? From a northern angle, those same rings would splay into a huge double band, bigger than any skyscraper. In Sweden, they get low and fat. In Madrid, they look like side-by-side railroad tracks.

Would kids grow up differently under such different skies?
Would they paint differently?
Write different stories?
Dream differently?

I wonder

hoz5Q2rGQtQ

http://www.npr.org/blogs/pictureshow/2010/01/suppose_the_earth_got_saturns.html?sc=fb&cc=fp

ATRAIN
01-20-2010, 03:40 PM
:rolleyes

BlackSwordsMan
01-20-2010, 03:41 PM
that's pretty badass

BlackSwordsMan
01-20-2010, 03:41 PM

lol mma

I. Hustle
01-20-2010, 03:42 PM
What if Uranus... I got nothing

ATRAIN
01-20-2010, 03:45 PM
What if Uranus... I got nothing

I saw this on a bumper sticker

What if Uranus is really a black hole.

ATRAIN
01-20-2010, 03:45 PM
lol mma

lol green ranger

BlackSwordsMan
01-20-2010, 03:48 PM
he's my favorite ranger!

baseline bum
01-20-2010, 03:51 PM
Cool video. Thanks for sharing it.

TDMVPDPOY
01-20-2010, 03:53 PM
those rings, could be little colonies...

another article came out today about mars

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/nasa-orbiter-photographs-phenomenon-that-looks-like-trees-on-the-surface-of-mars/story-e6frf7jo-1225821859032

NASA orbiter photographs phenomenon that looks like trees... on the surface of Mars

* Staff Writer
* January 21, 2010 12:00AM

TREES growing on the Red Planet? What at first looks remarkably like groves of pine trees sprouting from rolling Martian hills covered in pink grass is actually an optical illusion.

The "trees" are trails of debris caused by landslides as Mars' spring season warms the planet's surface and generates ice melts.

The hills are sand dunes coated with a thin layer of frozen carbon dioxide.

One of the avalanches that cause the tree illusion has been caught in action in the image, just visible to the left of centre.

The bucolic but alien scene was captured by the most powerful camera sent to another planet.

The 65kg, $50 million camera is aboard NASA's Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter and is designed to view the planet's surface features in far greater detail - down to 30cm - than has previously been possible.

Scientists hope that the detail it captures will help studies of Martian channels and valleys and the planet's volcanic landforms.

Blue Jew
01-20-2010, 04:18 PM
Those rings stay put. They don't shift around.

Actually Saturn's rings are not stable. They are drifting away from Saturn. If Saturn is billions of years old, why does it still have rings?

Saturn is Scientific proof the solar system is not as old as the Evolutionist want you to believe.

mrsmaalox
01-20-2010, 04:24 PM

Sorry, ATRAIN but I couldn't find a way to work in anything about penises to make this thread more appealing for you ;)

I. Hustle
01-20-2010, 04:32 PM
Sorry, ATRAIN but I couldn't find a way to work in anything about penises to make this thread more appealing for you ;)

:lmao

baseline bum
01-20-2010, 04:33 PM
mouse is such an attention whore. Every fucking remotely scientific thread is another opportunity for mr anti-everything to get on his soapbox.

TDMVPDPOY
01-20-2010, 05:19 PM
is there only one saturn in our solar system?

there should be plenty of saturns out there right?

Blue Jew
01-20-2010, 05:31 PM
Would you like to be a Mod I can talk to kori.

baseline bum
01-20-2010, 05:33 PM
That could be said about anyone who post in any topic. including yourself.

lets look at the facts,

baseline bum

Total Posts: 18,798
Posts Per Day: 7.53

Blue Jew

Total Posts: 659
Posts Per Day: 1.98

I have only replied to 4 topics in the club you have replied to twice as many.

Looks to me like your still butt hurt about me waxing your ass in The Moon topic. or is it the Cowboys loss to Vikings?

Huh? I have never seen you win a debate here, and I hate the Cowboys almost as much as your 9-11 garbage.

Blue Jew
01-20-2010, 05:33 PM
mouse is such an attention whore. Every fucking remotely scientific thread is another opportunity for mr anti-everything to get on his soapbox.

That could be said about anyone who post in any topic. including yourself.

lets look at the facts,

baseline bum
Total Posts: 18,798
Posts Per Day: 7.53

Blue Jew
Total Posts: 659
Posts Per Day: 1.98

I have only replied to 4 topics in the club you have replied to twice as many.

Looks to me like your still butt hurt about me waxing your ass in The Moon topic. or is it the Cowboys loss to Vikings?

Blue Jew
01-20-2010, 05:35 PM
Huh? I have never seen you win a debate here, and I hate the Cowboys almost as much as your 9-11 garbage.

And your point?

Not only do you come across as an attention whore your like to Hijack topics for your own personal hate. Be a man use the PM's don't drama queen every topic you see me in it's getting old. We get it! you don't like me, add to the topic stop showing your Koriwhat side.

I. Hustle
01-20-2010, 05:36 PM
WTF?! He quoted you before you said it! That is crazy!

Blue Jew
01-20-2010, 05:40 PM
I apologize to the topic starter but maybe now others can see how this shit starts. and who starts this shit it's not me.
I just made a post on my opinions on Saturn. Is that not allowed anymore?

baseline bum
01-20-2010, 05:54 PM
I apologize to the topic starter but maybe now others can see how this shit starts. and who starts this shit it's not me.

For once, quit playing the victim card when you're called out after lobbing another ignorant shot against anything scientific.

Blake
01-21-2010, 12:37 AM
Actually Saturn's rings are not stable. They are drifting away from Saturn. If Saturn is billions of years old, why does it still have rings?

Saturn is Scientific proof the solar system is not as old as the Evolutionist want you to believe.

you must have the creationist arguments page bookmarked :lol

Claim CE240:
Saturn's rings are unstable. They gradually drift outward, and disruption from bombardment could mean that they could not last more than 10,000 years. The rings cannot be billions of years old.

Response:
Saturn's rings may be less than 100 million years old (Cuzzi and Estrada 1998). However, that says nothing about the age of the planet. The rings could have formed when Saturn captured a small moon that fell within the Roche limit (the distance below which moons will be pulled apart by tidal forces). This could have happened any time in Saturn's history.

http://www.talkorigins.org/indexcc/CE/CE240.html

wheeeeeeee

koriwhat
01-21-2010, 12:38 AM

again man... you aren't going to get any sympathy so give it up. stop crying like a big fuckin' pussy you big fuckin' pussy.

Cant_Be_Faded
01-21-2010, 12:44 AM
It would be incredible, and would definitely affect people's lives especially in their formative years.

Bad enough that people living in cities see about 5% of the stars that are really visible under normal circumstances (thanks alot bin laden). Seeing something like that every time you go outside would remind you of your place in the world, and your world's place in the universe. Remind you of just how small everything you know is. Which I think is something humanity is losing completely.

You can't tell me the average adult isn't blown away when they are exposed to a natural sky unplagued by light pollution. It's incredible. And those are just stars.

4down
01-21-2010, 12:53 AM
Would the rings affect the moons gravitational pull and the tides?

sabar
01-21-2010, 03:54 AM
Would they paint differently?
Write different stories?

Probably dream of non-ring worlds and paint non-ring worlds, since we do the opposite.

Astronomy has nothing to do with biology or its sub-field, evolution. As a matter of fact, I imagine very few biologists outside astrobiology care what the age of the solar system is, since it has zero bearing on life on Earth. The most relevant thing is the age of the Earth, which is geology again, not evolution. Perhaps arguing on the principle of biology would earn the YEC some amount of credibility.

Cool video though.

Hemotivo
01-21-2010, 08:37 AM
is this another 4 rings, faggot! thread?

mrsmaalox
01-21-2010, 09:40 AM
It would be incredible, and would definitely affect people's lives especially in their formative years.

Bad enough that people living in cities see about 5% of the stars that are really visible under normal circumstances (thanks alot bin laden). Seeing something like that every time you go outside would remind you of your place in the world, and your world's place in the universe. Remind you of just how small everything you know is. Which I think is something humanity is losing completely.

You can't tell me the average adult isn't blown away when they are exposed to a natural sky unplagued by light pollution. It's incredible. And those are just stars.

Absolutely. I was born and raised in stark west Texas, relocated because of work in my early 20's to the Pacific Northwest. Living in the shadow of Mt Ranier was quite an experience. Because of the weather, you don't get to see it every day, but every time I'd be driving somewhere and catch a glimpse it startled me and I'd have to catch my breath. It didn't matter what was on my mind at that moment, my reaction was the same every single time. It was like hitting the "reset" button in my brain every time.

DarkReign
01-21-2010, 10:37 AM
Would the rings affect the moons gravitational pull and the tides?

Great video from the OP, first and foremost. Artisit put a lot of time and effort in creating some beautiful landscapes and shots.

No, the rings would not affect the Moon's pull, it would be the other way around. The Moon's orbit is insanely far from Earth, believe it or not. But its all for fun anyway because the Moon's gravity would never allow rings to form in the first place. Saturn has rings only because its frickin huge and its larger satellites arent nearly large enough to overcome Saturn's directional pull.

Our satellite (the Moon), otoh, is at least comparable in size to Earth, which is why it affects tides...direct evidence to its ability to overcome Earth's sphere of gravitational influence.

DarkReign
01-21-2010, 01:31 PM
Re-reading my above post, when I say "size", I really mean "mass", but you get the idea.

DarkReign
01-21-2010, 01:33 PM
Besides, arent Saturn's Rings on the outside of its satellite's orbits? Meaning, the orbit of its multiple moons are actually inside the Rings themselves?

I am not sure of this, but it would explain the phenomena.

DarkReign
01-21-2010, 01:46 PM
Closest Saturn Satellite (from center of planet):

Pan @ 133,583 km orbit

Closest of Saturn's Rings (from center of planet):

Ring D
Start Radius: 67,000 km
End Radius: 74,500 km

Interestingly, there is a ring system that intersects with its nearest moon (Pan). I havent done the entire comparison, but it would seem that all of Saturn's moons sit inside the cluster of Rings.

Interesting. Even more evidence to the shear mass of Saturn in comparison to its infinitesimal satellites.

source (http://www.enchantedlearning.com/subjects/astronomy/planets/saturn/saturnmoons.shtml)

Viva Las Espuelas
01-21-2010, 03:34 PM

Absolutely. I was born and raised in stark west Texas, relocated because of work in my early 20's to the Pacific Northwest. Living in the shadow of Mt Ranier was quite an experience. Because of the weather, you don't get to see it every day, but every time I'd be driving somewhere and catch a glimpse it startled me and I'd have to catch my breath. It didn't matter what was on my mind at that moment, my reaction was the same every single time. It was like hitting the "reset" button in my brain every time.

Yeah. I remember feeling that exact same way when I went to Europe. Driving by the alps and going to the Matterhorn. It was an awesome sight and feeling. I realized how small I was in this whole grand scheme of things. Also, there's nothing like a clear night out in the country away from a big city. I'm jealous towards people that can see that any night they want. It's a great reset, but I also like the big city life.

InRareForm
10-16-2016, 10:13 PM
Saturn on steroids

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/14/science/exoplanet-rings-saturn-j1407b.html?_r=0

incredible tbh...

DMC
10-16-2016, 10:57 PM
^A failed star or brown dwarf..

Sounds almost like 50 cent

Avante
10-17-2016, 01:44 AM
Well if the Earth got the rings of Saturn.....

Rings of Saturn Towing
Rings of Saturn Bar & Grill
The Rings of Saturn Club
Rings of Saturn Bail Bonds
Rings of Saturn Used Cars
Rings of Saturn Bowl

etc etc

TDMVPDPOY
10-17-2016, 04:55 AM
wont get rings of saturn, but currently there is rings of debris from space missions orbiting the earth...

benefactor
10-17-2016, 06:06 AM
What is it with you and the necrobumps?

pgardn
10-17-2016, 06:59 AM
Well if the Earth got the rings of Saturn.....

Rings of Saturn Towing
Rings of Saturn Bar & Grill
The Rings of Saturn Club
Rings of Saturn Bail Bonds
Rings of Saturn Used Cars
Rings of Saturn Bowl

etc etc

So Rings of Earth is off the table...
If the Earth had rings you would accuse Saturn of "plagiarism"

InRareForm
10-17-2016, 08:27 AM
I prefer bumping relevant old threads and bring up new discussions associated with it rather than a new one that might only get one or two replies

Avante
10-17-2016, 08:36 AM
So Rings of Earth is off the table...
If the Earth had rings you would accuse Saturn of "plagiarism"

CNN

We are learning that for some reason the rings of Saturn are heading our way. This has the science world baffled. Actually we are on a collision course. At the rate of speed the rings are traveling it is estimated they will arrive close to earth in the fall of 2022. Are our days numbered?

If we want to interject some reality here, it would be like that. And once we could see the rings closeing in imagine the chaos. People would be finding some God, that's for sure.

If we just want to play a fantasy to the hilt and we wake up one day and there they are, well that's different.

Brazil
10-17-2016, 11:04 AM
ok