PDA

View Full Version : Game Primer: Spurs vs. Jazz - Jan .20

timvp
01-20-2010, 04:33 PM
Between the four-game road trip they just finished and the eight-game Rodeo Road Trip that begins when the calendar flips to February, the Spurs play six consecutive home games. The first of the six is tonight against the Utah Jazz. The Spurs are 0-3 against the Jazz this season, losing 113-99 on Nov. 5, 90-83 on Nov. 19 and 104-101 on Dec. 7.

Keys to a Spurs Victory

1. Drive to the hoop. The Jazz are the most physical team in the NBA. If you take it hard to the rim, you'll oftentimes find yourself at the free throw line. The Spurs need the energy to keep attacking and avoid shooting too many three-pointers.

2. Limit the assists. In the three previous matchups, the Jazz are averaging 26 assists per game against the Spurs. That is way too many. If the Spurs can interrupt the pick-and-rolls and force Utah into isolations, that would give the Spurs a great chance of winning.

3. Slow Carlos Boozer. Boozer is averaing 24 points, 10.7 rebounds and 4.3 assists against the Spurs. Finding someone who can slow him is key for San Antonio. DeJuan Blair defended David West well in his last outing ... perhaps he's up for the challenge against another All-Star level talent.

Matchup to Watch

http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/.e1d/img/4.0/global/basketball/nba/players/3527.jpg vs. http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/.e1d/img/4.0/global/basketball/nba/players/3929.jpg

After going up against the best point guard in the NBA last game in Chris Paul, the road doesn't get easier for Tony Parker. When facing the Jazz, Parker has to lead his team against arguably the second best point guard in the NBA, Deron Williams. Williams is banged up but he's still producing at a high level. He's averaging 21.7 points, 9.7 assists and 4.3 rebounds against the Spurs this season, while shooting 54% from the floor and 55.6% from beyond the three-point arc. If Richard Jefferson misses another game and George Hill starts, we may see Hill on Williams to begin the night.

Inside the Numbers

Tim Duncan needs 15 points to score his surpass 20,000 career points. George Gervin is the all-time leading scorer in franchise history with 23,602 points. For Duncan to pass Gervin, he'll need to average 20 points for 181 more games -- or two and a half more seasons.

Did You Know?

Prior to losing all three games against the Jazz this season, the Spurs were 29-6 against the Jazz in their previous 35 meetings. The Spurs lost to the Jazz at home in front of the AT&T Center crowd back in November. To find the last time the Jazz won in San Antonio, you'd have to go back to February of 1999 in the Alamodome.

TIMMYD!
01-20-2010, 05:07 PM
Need this win.

Libri
01-20-2010, 05:15 PM
1. Drive to the hoop. The Jazz are the most physical team in the NBA. If you take it hard to the rim, you'll oftentimes find yourself at the free throw line. The Spurs need the energy to keep attacking and avoid shooting too many three-pointers.Hopefully they'll take advantage and do a better job making their free throws. The Spurs average a measly 73% overall and have been worse the last five games. They were 36% against the Lakers, 67% against the Thunder, 69% against the Bobcats, 58% against the Grizzlies, and 63% against the Hornets.

silverblackfan
01-20-2010, 05:20 PM
On the plus side, Blair's free throw arc has gotten a lot better. The guy can learn fast, that is for sure.

polandprzem
01-20-2010, 05:27 PM
I think this is the game to look for as a measuring one.

They play at home and they got a decent rest. [no tired aspect and drama involved] They need to overcome the Jazz, the team that beat them 3 times this year. Also with the phisical Jazz play I want to see how the spurs can react now.

There was a stretch in NO game where when Hornets were very agressive on D spurs got lost on offense. Good that Hornets were unable to take advantage of it but most better teams would.

So looking forward for that game.

ffadicted
01-20-2010, 05:32 PM
Tim Duncan needs 15 points to score his surpass 20,000 career points. George Gervin is the all-time leading scorer in franchise history with 23,602 points. For Duncan to pass Gervin, he'll need to average 20 points for 181 more games -- or two and a half more seasons.

Guys, I think Timmy can do it. Hopefully we'll see him for 3 1/2 more seasons though, I'll get greedy :king

Brazil
01-20-2010, 06:53 PM
Hopefully they'll take advantage and do a better job making their free throws. The Spurs average a measly 73% overall and have been worse the last five games. They were 36% against the Lakers, 67% against the Thunder, 69% against the Bobcats, 58% against the Grizzlies, and 63% against the Hornets.

yeah it's a sad sad sad stat lines... :bang

Brazil
01-20-2010, 07:06 PM
already posted in the game blog

The San Antonio Express-News reports that Spurs forward Richard Jefferson (http://fantasynews.cbssports.com/fantasybasketball/players/playerpage/240295), who had a string of 232 games started snapped when he missed Monday's win at New Orleans with back spasms, could return Wednesday against Utah. "I think he'll be fine," coach Gregg Popovich said. "I don't think it's any big deal."

ffadicted
01-20-2010, 07:26 PM
already posted in the game blog

The San Antonio Express-News reports that Spurs forward Richard Jefferson (http://fantasynews.cbssports.com/fantasybasketball/players/playerpage/240295), who had a string of 232 games started snapped when he missed Monday's win at New Orleans with back spasms, could return Wednesday against Utah. "I think he'll be fine," coach Gregg Popovich said. "I don't think it's any big deal."

RJ scores 20 tonight in a turnaround comeback game, book me in for that shit

balli
01-20-2010, 07:42 PM
After going up against the second best point guard in the NBA last game in Chris Paul, the road doesn't get easier for Tony Parker. When facing the Jazz, Parker has to lead his team against the best point guard in the NBA, Deron Williams.
fify.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
01-20-2010, 07:46 PM
Grizzly on Boozer is a good idea to try. For whatever reason Boozer always seems to go crazy against us and hit all kinds of ridiculous fading crap... but then I guess that is his game. :lol

lennyalderette
01-20-2010, 08:34 PM
i think blair on boozer will freak boozer out and throw his game off. hill got deron .W so pissed off because he played great D against him. so look for that again, hopefully the refs will let hill guard that punani, cause parker wont thats for sure

polandprzem
01-21-2010, 01:57 AM
I think this is the game to look for as a measuring one.

They play at home and they got a decent rest. [no tired aspect and drama involved] They need to overcome the Jazz, the team that beat them 3 times this year. Also with the phisical Jazz play I want to see how the spurs can react now.

There was a stretch in NO game where when Hornets were very agressive on D spurs got lost on offense. Good that Hornets were unable to take advantage of it but most better teams would.

So looking forward for that game.

Now I start to worry ... :(

timvp
01-21-2010, 02:01 AM
1. Drive to the hoop. The Jazz are the most physical team in the NBA. If you take it hard to the rim, you'll oftentimes find yourself at the free throw line. The Spurs need the energy to keep attacking and avoid shooting too many three-pointers.

2. Limit the assists. In the three previous matchups, the Jazz are averaging 26 assists per game against the Spurs. That is way too many. If the Spurs can interrupt the pick-and-rolls and force Utah into isolations, that would give the Spurs a great chance of winning.

3. Slow Carlos Boozer. Boozer is averaing 24 points, 10.7 rebounds and 4.3 assists against the Spurs. Finding someone who can slow him is key for San Antonio. DeJuan Blair defended David West well in his last outing ... perhaps he's up for the challenge against another All-Star level talent.

Fail.

Fail.

Fail.

igruex
01-21-2010, 02:06 AM
Matchup to Watch

http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/.e1d/img/4.0/global/basketball/nba/players/3527.jpg vs. http://www.sportmedicineusa.com/Plantar-Fascitis_LGESHD.jpg