PDA

View Full Version : Manu Insider on ESPN.

TheSpursFNRule
01-20-2010, 06:41 PM
Just saw it can someone with insider please post it?

Hooks
01-20-2010, 06:44 PM
It's probably going to be something about him becoming a FA.

scottspurs
01-20-2010, 07:02 PM
THis is what is says:

Manu done with Spurs?
5:05
PM ET
Manu Ginobili |

According to a translation on Pounding the Rock of an interview Manu Ginobili did with Clarin, the long-time Spur isn't optimistic about his future with the team.

"I no longer expect a contract extension," he told Clarin. " ... At this point in the season, I don?t know if I would accept an extension, it would depend on the offer. But I have made my mind to sit down on the 1st of July with my agent, my wife and evaluate what offers I have."

Ginobili has struggled this season with the team, and that could be part of the reason he isn't expecting to be extended.

So could a trade be in the works as his expiring contract may be attractive to a few teams? ESPN's Chad Ford thinks the Spurs should seriously consider it.

Chad Ford

Spurs could get young talent for Manu

"I do think Manu could be a valuable trade chip. He's in the last year of his contract and he's beginning to slip. If the Spurs could move him for another young talent, I think it shores up their future. They have to seriously think about it."

xellos88330
01-20-2010, 07:05 PM
hmmm...

alchemist
01-20-2010, 07:06 PM
Chad Ford digging for anything now days :lol

murpjf88
01-20-2010, 07:09 PM
It would have to be worthwhile. He can still prove valuable come playoff time.

Creation88
01-20-2010, 07:15 PM
it's actually translated to "i love bacon in the morning."

SenorSpur
01-20-2010, 07:20 PM
If the Spurs could pry Rudy Gay away from Memphis, it would soften the blow somewhat.

ffadicted
01-20-2010, 07:23 PM
it's actually translated to "i love bacon in the morning."

I took spanish lessons in high school and I can support this statement 100%

Cherry
01-20-2010, 07:34 PM
By now, he isn't expecting his current contract to get extended...
But i tkink Herb Rudoy will get calls on July 1

jag
01-20-2010, 08:00 PM
Seeing Manu in another uniform is hard to think about.

HAITAO
01-20-2010, 08:03 PM
he loves Love assists

Thompson
01-20-2010, 08:38 PM
Manu/Ian/Bogans for Fernandez/Outlaw/Przybilla.

Portland gets a great veteran leader and a young big who can actually play (Joel is probably out most of this year). We get the closest thing to a young Ginobili, another small forward, and a backup center for next year (behind Splitter).

TheSpursFNRule
01-20-2010, 08:41 PM
Thank you sir! So who thinks Manu is gone before the deadline?...

Chico
01-20-2010, 08:52 PM
He must take the whole situation as motivation don't you think? Any other scenario?

01-20-2010, 08:53 PM
got to say that trading ginobili in the beginning of the season seemed impossible. now with the NT, the injury, the mediocre scoring, and almost zero possibility of an extension, the spurs best choice may be to just trade him to get some talent back. for ginobili to stay as a spur, he'll probably need $8-10 million a year. currently, it doesn't look like he's worth that much. at this current rate, he'll look even less valuable when he is signing a contract until the age of 35/36.

Options are:
Keep ginobili
1. Ginobili continues mediocre play
- will cause the spurs to lowball him in the FA, ginobili leaves, spurs lose
2. Ginobili returns to 07-08 pre injury levels
- spurs happy to offer him $8-10 million, ginobili stays, spurs win

trade ginobili
doesn't matter if ginobili gets better or not, the spurs get talent in return, spurs win

do spurs go all or nothing or take a more caution approach by getting something guaranteed out of ginobili?

Scola
01-20-2010, 08:59 PM
Ginobili isn't getting traded. This is unfounded speculation. The only way he ends up on another team is if he walks away at the end of the year. I think spurs will offer him a 3 year deal during the off-season at about $5.5-$7 Mil/year.

TheSpursFNRule
01-20-2010, 09:00 PM
When is the latest they can offer him an extension?

Chico
01-20-2010, 09:01 PM
Remember when a wise old man answered all these questions with "He's Manu Ginobili"..

MB20
01-20-2010, 09:05 PM
Manu won't sign an extension. With him playing like crap, Spurs would lowball him.
He'll hit free agency.

senorglory
01-21-2010, 01:06 AM
idunno. what i see is an improving ginobili that is making the plays in the fourth, racking up assists, feeding the beast, getting horizontal diving after balls to set up last second shot attempts, getting steals, and leading fast breaks. his shot's not falling, and he's not playing at a "He's Manu Ginobili" level, but he's a big part of our upward swing of late, and appears to be getting healthier. if anyone is going to give us that necessary-to-a-championship-team-Mario-Elie-juice, it's gonna be Manu.

trading Manu for a talented younger player with upside doesn't necessarily give us what we need to win this year-- we could end up with another player slow to integrate (a la RJ, thus far). i'd prefer to go with the known, and bank on RJ clicking before the end of the season, and Parker healing up/or rising to the occasion, over the unknown of trying to integrate yet another player into the Spurs system.

Let's go with what we got.