PDA

View Full Version : Spurs biggest problem is that they lack a superstar

midnightpulp
01-20-2010, 11:44 PM
This wouldn't be a problem if Parker, Manu, and RJ were playing the way they're capable of, but until then, this team desperately needs that guy who can go off for 30 or 40 points when the rest of the team is cold (which obviously isn't going to happen anytime soon). How many times has an individual player put up a 30 point game this year?

This team has lost innumerable close games this year that would've been won if they had a Durant, Wade, Lebron, or even last year's Tony Parker.

And yes Tim Duncan is a superstar, putting up one of the best statistical seasons of his career, but when you're only allowed 32 min a game, there's not going to be many opportunities to consistently play at a level where you can put the team on your back and carry them to a win. And even if he played 36+ min, I'm not sure Timmy is that type player anymore.

200 miles
01-20-2010, 11:52 PM
I like to think that's what the NBA draft is for.

Spurtacus
01-20-2010, 11:53 PM
I imagine we'll have that 30+ a night scorer in a few years. Don't count on Duncan being on the team though.

HarlemHeat37
This isn't even a significant problem, let alone the Spurs "biggest" problem..

Even when Duncan was in his prime and was the best player in the NBA, this team didn't need somebody to score 30 in a bunch of games..

The Spurs have always been about teamwork and playing D..we have way too many weapons to rely on 1 guy to score 30..

ajballer4
Dumbest thread of the year award....you say they dont have a superstar and then go on to say Duncan is a superstar

Genius analysis there buddy

SinBAD
we have superstars.just wasnt tim's night.manu had a big game and so did parker.Our problem is not lack of superstar, its lack of defense.we cant stop anyone.

dbestpro
01-20-2010, 11:55 PM
Manu, Parker and RJ have peaked. They are playing at the level of who they are now.

DesignatedT
01-20-2010, 11:55 PM
ill buy this. its true that the big three need to play like the big 3 of the past.... the problem comes in here..... the big three is NOT who they used to be (this is why we bring in RJ) but he cant produce offensively like they have hoped. jefferson is a great player no doubt but he still needs TP and Manu to play at that high level for him to play at a high level...

Chieflion
01-20-2010, 11:57 PM
I see what you mean. Sign Allen Iverson, right?

it's me
01-21-2010, 12:00 AM
Disagree .... Spurs biggest problem is that they lack of PLAYMAKERS.... all freaking spot shooters that relay on the old and done Ginobili to create plays and blow them up missing dunks, easy layups and freaking open threes......

we need more guys that can create when we trade Manu we only have Tim to crate for others......no way we win shit like that....

Amarelooms
01-21-2010, 12:00 AM
Manu for Josh Howard would solve your problems :elephant

easy7
01-21-2010, 12:02 AM
What the Spurs need is to have every player accountable and to stop passing the ball 10+ times in every possession. It seems like they are playing hot potato out there instead of basketball. Stop the -I drive to the rim to pass it to the outside so the man with the ball drives to the rim to pass it to the outside so the man with the ball drives to the rim to... infinity, bullshit.

midnightpulp
01-21-2010, 12:02 AM
I know I'm stating the obvious, but it seems no one has the ability to take over a game on this team. At 33 years old, Duncan shouldn't have to "the guy" anymore. He should be comfortably sliding into the Pippen role as Parker becomes the primary scoring option. But since he's not healthy and the fact that Manu and the other Spurs role-players have been ultra-inconsistent, forces Duncan into that superstar role he might not be capable of at this point in his career.

And this team on paper is stacked. 41 bench points a game should be good for more than a 25-16 record.

I'm not even that disappointed in Jefferson. If you would've told me he'd average 13 points a game on 47% shooting, I'd take it. Problem is Parker (due to health) is not in his usual 20ppg on 50% shooting form and Manu has decided it'd be fun to replicate Brandon Jennings's shooting year.

midnightpulp
01-21-2010, 12:07 AM
I see what you mean. Sign Allen Iverson, right?

Did I really have to specifically define my "theoretical superstar" for you to understand what I mean?

Obviously a player who would score 30 on 35 shots wouldn't be very beneficial.

murpjf88
01-21-2010, 12:08 AM
How many superstars does a team need? No, they need to play better team defense and take better shots down the stretch and cut down on all the unforced TO's. IMO, it doesn't matter that the Spurs have the best bench in the league when the starters can't pull their own wait. It all evens out in the end.

exstatic
01-21-2010, 12:09 AM
I like to think that's what the NBA draft is for.

You're about 15 years out of date, then. You're lucky if you can get a serviceable starter...in the TOP TEN picks.

01-21-2010, 12:10 AM
defense, turnovers, execution. in that order.

midnightpulp
01-21-2010, 12:14 AM
What the Spurs need is to have every player accountable and to stop passing the ball 10+ times in every possession. It seems like they are playing hot potato out there instead of basketball. Stop the -I drive to the rim to pass it to the outside so the man with the ball drives to the rim to pass it to the outside so the man with the ball drives to the rim to... infinity, bullshit.

I agree with this and that alludes to my point.

No one on this team has the confidence (or the ability) to put the team on their back and take over a game offensively.

Parker was that guy last year. Duncan in years' past.

But to be fair, Parker is playing about 60% of where he was last year. The PF has slowed him down considerably and affected his jumper. He also looks a few pounds heavier.

200 miles
01-21-2010, 12:34 AM
You're about 15 years out of date, then. You're lucky if you can get a serviceable starter...in the TOP TEN picks.

Well then a serviceable starter or really a reliable rotation player it is, by whatever means possible.