PDA

View Full Version : We need a trade

nbaman99
01-20-2010, 11:55 PM
Its clear, we need to round up 2 or 3 players, who does not show any effort or inconsistent this year and get a good defensive minded player.

Amarelooms
01-20-2010, 11:58 PM
Manu for Josh Howard :elephant

timtonymanu
01-21-2010, 12:00 AM
RJ and Dice are the ones that need to go. They are our Bonner and Finley of this year unfortunately.

DesignatedT
01-21-2010, 12:01 AM
My 2 cents....

Bogans needs to be moved to the bench. thats it. i love his d but its really not that good and george does just as good of a job if not better. plus bogans is offensively challenged

Unless there is something we don't know Dice is not the big that is going to win us a ring next to tim. IMO i think we need to bring in a big man to put next to tim (camby, haywood) preferably

We all know Tony is hurt and isnt anywhere near being himself right now which should be no surprise that this could cause a setback.

Hill needs more pt. he missed a couple chances late today but he is very consistent offensively and is arguably are best defender (this comes with bogans needing to sit)

If Manu consistently plays like he did tonight, we will be fine. Duncan had a tough night tonight but dont expect that to keep happening. Manu was fantastic tonight.

Johnny RIngo
01-21-2010, 12:08 AM
RJ and Dice are the ones that need to go. They are our Bonner and Finley of this year unfortunately.

Good luck trying to trade $19 million dollars of crap.

timtonymanu
01-21-2010, 12:11 AM
Good luck trying to trade $19 million dollars of crap.

They almost equal Tim's salary and also Manu and Tony's combined. It's like having a shitty franchise player on your team.

01-21-2010, 12:13 AM
need defense. lots of it.

murpjf88
01-21-2010, 12:15 AM
A trade isn't going to help this team get over the hump if they don't buy into team defense. They get beat outside as well as inside.

celldweller
01-21-2010, 12:27 AM
We play to much Bogans out there. The guy flat out sucks! His defense is way overrated, he can't hit a shot in pressure situations, he turns over the ball way too much, etc. He's flat out embarrassing! What the hell does Pop see out there that has him so entrusted with this guy. My stomach is starting to turn everytrme I see the starting lineup with him in it. I wish Pop would of gave Hairston a chance this year.

HarlemHeat37
01-21-2010, 12:28 AM
A trade isn't going to help this team get over the hump if they don't buy into team defense. They get beat outside as well as inside.

This team won't be able to play D with the current players on the roster..

ElNono
01-21-2010, 12:30 AM
Time for Pop to earn his big bucks. This team cannot play consistent defense. We're giving up 25+ point quarters (29 on the third tonight) like we just don't care. Stop rewarding players that play no D by giving them minutes they didn't earn.

ElNono
01-21-2010, 12:31 AM
This team won't be able to play D with the current players on the roster..

I disagree. I think it starts at the top with the coach, and you star players, and goes from there.

HarlemHeat37
01-21-2010, 12:35 AM
I disagree. I think it starts at the top with the coach, and you star players, and goes from there.

I agree that we can play "better" D, but not good enough to be a consistently great defensive team..

nbaman99
01-21-2010, 12:36 AM
Other than Timmy, its just inconsistency killing this team. Sure Manu played great tonight, but who can grantee that he will do the same next night? RJ perfect on the 1st courter and no where to be found on the second. Tony Sucks on the first 2 and played good 3rd and 4th. So its playing 48 minutes as the same that going to get us wins, like they did on the thunder game and the games we won, never giving up and just playing spurs ball.

SouthTexasRancher
01-21-2010, 12:49 AM
Manu for Josh Howard :elephant

Nope! However, an RJ, Dice & Bogans for Dirk would be good for both the Spurs and Mavs. You get three bums for one very good player. Sounds like one hell of a good deal to me! :toast

outmap
01-21-2010, 01:17 AM
http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=yg3h5pr
:D

igruex
01-21-2010, 01:29 AM
I agree that we can play "better" D, but not good enough to be a consistently great defensive team..

I think we can.. we're not gonna be the best defensive team but we got a greater offense than any other season.

Dice and Parker could be playing a lot better on the defensive end. Duncan's gonna step up for sure come playoff time. And Hill and Blair are playing well enough on defense. Manu doesn't count, he'll suck as usual, but we can afford that.

The intensity/energy level we are currently bringing is unacceptable though.

crc21209
01-21-2010, 02:02 AM
My 2 cents....

Bogans needs to be moved to the bench. thats it. i love his d but its really not that good and george does just as good of a job if not better. plus bogans is offensively challenged

Unless there is something we don't know Dice is not the big that is going to win us a ring next to tim. IMO i think we need to bring in a big man to put next to tim (camby, haywood) preferably

We all know Tony is hurt and isnt anywhere near being himself right now which should be no surprise that this could cause a setback.

Hill needs more pt. he missed a couple chances late today but he is very consistent offensively and is arguably are best defender (this comes with bogans needing to sit)

If Manu consistently plays like he did tonight, we will be fine. Duncan had a tough night tonight but dont expect that to keep happening. Manu was fantastic tonight.

Agreed. Bogans is a good defensive player (he's no Bowen though), and at times he cant buy a bucket....not even close. These 0-5, 0-6 nights are not going to get it done and it kill the offense. He needs to be benched.

HarlemHeat37
01-21-2010, 02:11 AM

Blackjack
01-21-2010, 02:30 AM
I'm beginning to think this is a lost cause..

Pop made mention of not realizing how much 'corporate knowledge' they had lost but they've also lost the edge, mystique and fear factor they used to have; teams don't see the unified front and feel the air of inevitability playing these Spurs anymore. They're just another playoff-caliber team in their eyes; they've become the up-and-comers gatekeeper more or less.

The Spurs are David Tua..

ulosturedge
01-21-2010, 02:45 AM
Yup no one is scared of the Spurs no more. And every time we lose to these playoff teams, it just makes it that much worse. The Spurs use to be great at closing games. That is all but a distant memory atm. Seems you need a ton of athleticism these days to keep up. Especially on the defensive end. And we have none of it...

Johnny RIngo
01-21-2010, 03:28 AM
No trade short of a Gasol-style collusion is going to fix this team. A solid big might help but it's up to the gutless cowards(RJ and Dice) to step up their game.

blkroadrunners
01-21-2010, 03:35 AM
They need to figure out something, whether it's a trade or just simple motivation. Otherwise, it's gonna be an ugly playoffs.

Sean Cagney
01-21-2010, 03:36 AM
FUKK a damn trade they need GOD.... They need something now to get them going! That damn 25-0 run tonight showed how good they can be, then they got back to their normal garbage selves and lost the damn game at HOME! MY LORD how? They were up 12 or so after a huge run, how can they not carry that out like LA or etc. can? They just are not focused and all over the damn place, this year has been HELL SO Far for us fans after what we expected.

admiralsnackbar
01-21-2010, 03:36 AM
I'm glad people who can't even grasp the notion of grammar are assigning themselves the role of team tacticians...

Spurs played a game they seemed sure to lose, fought their way back into contention, then lost, securing most doomsday prophet's seal of approval. I think this has been the most encouraging loss all season, personally: they lost because they were out-played, not because they got in the way of their own victory.

That, believe it or not, is new.

Sean Cagney
01-21-2010, 03:41 AM
I'm glad people who can't even grasp the notion of grammar are assigning themselves the role of team tacticians...

Spurs played a game they seemed sure to lose, fought their way back into contention, then lost, securing most doomsday prophet's seal of approval. I think this has been the most encouraging loss all season, personally: they lost because they were out-played, not because they got in the way of their own victory.

That, believe it or not, is new.

LOL, not encouraging at all though, just another loss at home to this Utah team........... They were outplayed yes, again at home to this non playoff team as of now.

BigVee
01-21-2010, 10:24 AM
I agree with others. It is time to END the Bogans experiment. The guy has never been anything but a journeyman who hustles on the defensive end, but doesn't have the rep or the respect from the refs...he gets whistled all the time. A real liability in my opinion.

Spursmania
01-21-2010, 10:26 AM
:bang

spurs50_
01-21-2010, 11:11 AM
something tells me we're gonna be drafting in the early twenties, unless we gave it away in the jefferson deal.......

koriwhat
01-21-2010, 11:17 AM
dice has been a huge disappointment imo. he is lost on defense all the time. watching last night from the rafters was disgusting especially when bogans and dice were on the court.

TimDunkem
01-21-2010, 11:43 AM
http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=ykk4rg6

lol Get it done RC.

I. Hustle
01-21-2010, 11:56 AM
I say lets trade Bogans, RJ, Bonner, and Fin for Lebron, and someone else. I ran it through the trade machine and it works perfectly.

TFloss32
01-21-2010, 12:13 PM
I don't think it's personnel at all. We've had flashes of brilliance throughout the year and seen what this team can be. The problem is a lack of consistent effort from the chain of command on down. Pop doesn't instill that fire in his players the way he used to and it shows on the court. The guys look tired and bored most of the time and I can't figure it out. For the first time in many years I'm telling myself, "these guys just aren't that fun to watch." You would think with all of the talent they have they'd be absolutely jacked to play every time they step on the floor.

We don't necessarily need a trade, but I'd be all for one happening if (at the very least) it will light a fire under their asses or beef up our interior defense. The Rodeo Road Trip is upon us and I hope the Spurs form some sort of identity by the time it's over.

JR3
01-21-2010, 12:36 PM
I would trade parker and a pick or bonner/finley for chris paul in a second. Paul has great hands and plays D. Parker can't. Paul has an outside shot. Parker doesn't. Paul gets his team involved. Parker doesn't. I say this would be the difference.

Johnny RIngo
01-21-2010, 01:23 PM
I would trade parker and a pick or bonner/finley for chris paul in a second. Paul has great hands and plays D. Parker can't. Paul has an outside shot. Parker doesn't. Paul gets his team involved. Parker doesn't. I say this would be the difference.

Hornets aren't trading their franchise player for a fringe all-star like TP.

gospursgojas
01-21-2010, 02:04 PM
Hard to trade RJ

Nobody wants that contract and he was exposed as a mediocre player this yr

doobs
01-21-2010, 02:49 PM
I wouldn't mind the Spurs making a 2-for-1 trade to upgrade the bench. Maybe an interior defender to help Timmy out.

But come on. The Spurs have spent 41 games trying to integrate new parts, with mixed results. Presumably the team will get comfortable together as the season progresses, which will help on both ends of the floor. Why disrupt that?

Any trade discussions involving TD, TP, Manu, Hill, Blair, or RJ are complete crap. Unless you're already giving up on this season.

temujin
01-21-2010, 03:14 PM
Spurs have seen Sean and Jonhson and Elie.
They have seen Malik, and SJAx and Willis.
They have seen Horry and Barry and even Vaughn.

Now tell me that Richard Jefferson will ever ever win anything in his entire life.

01-21-2010, 03:39 PM
spurs need a leader and enforcer on defense. bowen did that in the past years and duncan has other problems to worry about. it's amazing how much of an impact bowen had on the spurs. i didn't know it extended this wide and far. spurs have solid individual defenders but can't glue it together. only player i can think of right that would even be close to bowens' impact is shane battier. rockets kind of remind me of the spurs of the past. they barely have any offense (ariza is on of their primary options) and no all star to handle the offense yet find a way to stay above .500. i attribute that to their defense.

tmtcsc
01-21-2010, 03:46 PM
I was really hoping that my initial feelings about Richard Jefferson were wrong. When I heard about the trade I was very underwhelmed. RJ has never been a difference maker. He put up nice numbers with a great pg and then later with Milwaukee that needed him to be a scorer.

What made the FO think that this guy was going to help us ? His defense sucks and he doesn't drive the ball to the hoop nearly enough.

On top if it all, his salary is a friggin joke. A joke that I'm sure Holt's not laughing about.
I'm not optimistic that RJ will ever fit. I hope I'm wrong. What a waste.

portnoy1
01-21-2010, 03:49 PM
A trade does need to be made. Its our interior defense that is killing us. Wing-defenders cant get up on there opponents anymore, cause we have NO ONE guarding the rim. So they have to play it safe and give there guys a few feet. It has to be 2 big guys guarding the rim all the Time for our defense to be succesfull. One big guy helps while the other secures the rebound from the weakside. We dont neccesarily need a shotblocker (note 2007 Oberto was starting Center) but we do need someone who has a high defensive IQ and can either take charges and best case scenario block shots. With that said; we need a guy who will be in the paint and at least disrupt things. If we can win with Oberto as the starting Center then their are alot of options open on the trading block instead of just Camby and Haywood although they would be the best options thus far. A Center 6-10 or taller would be nice wouldnt ya say?

Johnny RIngo
01-21-2010, 04:07 PM
I was really hoping that my initial feelings about Richard Jefferson were wrong. When I heard about the trade I was very underwhelmed. RJ has never been a difference maker. He put up nice numbers with a great pg and then later with Milwaukee that needed him to be a scorer.

What made the FO think that this guy was going to help us ? His defense sucks and he doesn't drive the ball to the hoop nearly enough.

On top if it all, his salary is a friggin joke. A joke that I'm sure Holt's not laughing about.
I'm not optimistic that RJ will ever fit. I hope I'm wrong. What a waste.

RJ, like Bonner, is useless when he isn't scoring. He's a one-dimensional player that padded his stats on bad teams. You'd think Timmy would have remembered how crap RJ was from his experiences on the 2004 Olympic team. Should have given the FO a heads up.

objective
01-21-2010, 04:25 PM
RJ's defense is the biggest culprit.

He disappearing on offense is one thing. It's not like a Spurs wing player was scoring big in the past other than Manu anyway.

But his defense is so soft, so lazy, so gutless . . . that he might be worse than Finley, which shocks me. Finley couldn't move, but if you went at him he put up a fight. RJ actually gets out of the way. He is so soft 'fighting' around screens that he can't be kept on the court.

HarlemHeat37
01-21-2010, 04:39 PM
Jefferson is the same player he has been for 2 years before this..

I was excited about the trade when it happened, but I said my basis was that I was hoping RJ would get back to the good defender he was before he was made into a primary scorer in NJ..anybody that watched him KNOWS he was a poor defender in his last year in NJ and last year in Milwaukee..obviously my hope of seeing him return to his good defense days hasn't happened and obviously won't happen..

He ISN'T a different player than before though..he's the same guy he has been for 2 years..I consider McDyess to be a disappointment based on HIS play, but he was a logical acquisition..

The RJ acquisition's failure is solely on the FO, there isn't really a legit argument against that..

temujin
01-21-2010, 04:41 PM
spurs need a leader and enforcer on defense. bowen did that in the past years and duncan has other problems to worry about. it's amazing how much of an impact bowen had on the spurs. i didn't know it extended this wide and far. spurs have solid individual defenders but can't glue it together. only player i can think of right that would even be close to bowens' impact is shane battier. rockets kind of remind me of the spurs of the past. they barely have any offense (ariza is on of their primary options) and no all star to handle the offense yet find a way to stay above .500. i attribute that to their defense.

I agree.
I also attribute that to Luis Scola.

temujin
01-21-2010, 04:42 PM
Jefferson is the same player he has been for 2 years before this..

I was excited about the trade when it happened, but I said my basis was that I was hoping RJ would get back to the good defender he was before he was made into a primary scorer in NJ..anybody that watched him KNOWS he was a poor defender in his last year in NJ and last year in Milwaukee..obviously my hope of seeing him return to his good defense days hasn't happened and obviously won't happen..

He ISN'T a different player than before though..he's the same guy he has been for 2 years..I consider McDyess to be a disappointment based on HIS play, but he was a logical acquisition..

The RJ acquisition's failure is solely on the FO, there isn't really a legit argument against that..

So Jefferson fired you as his agent, I see.

Sense
01-21-2010, 04:50 PM
Bottom line is... we need a big man or this team has no defense.

5in10
01-21-2010, 05:11 PM
I like Ronnie brewer for defense, weren't the jazz trying to trade him?

DaBears
01-21-2010, 05:28 PM
LAst night was a perfect example of what people are talking about... "Where the hell did JR go last night" He sure as hell wasnt in the game.. I should know i watched the game from my 46 inch flat screen.. My face being 2 ft from the TV....He just tends to disappear no defense or offsense, if your lucky you'll get 2 three pt shoot once durning the game but he he doesnt show any intrest in teh game before he turns the ball over call it a night........ And too think i use too think the old ROSTER from years past before Mario Elie got hear were quiters.

diego
01-21-2010, 06:12 PM
i missed the game last night,
and even accounting for manu, tony, rj and mcdyess' struggles this season,
does anyone really think our roster was better last season?

I'm with the group that thinks we dont need a trade.
we need our players to play to potential. we need an identity and proper rotations.
we need the real pop to please stand up and take charge of this team.

jdev82
01-21-2010, 07:22 PM
They almost equal Tim's salary and also Manu and Tony's combined. It's like having a shitty franchise player on your team.

its like having rashard lewis, but without the complaining

objective
01-21-2010, 07:36 PM
i don't get combining Dice to RJ's salary . . .

RJ by himself is like a shitty franchise player all by himself.

lennyalderette
01-21-2010, 10:33 PM
i waited until tonight to post any comments because i wanted to see how i felt after i was really upset. I hvent said this all year but i think a trade is going to be necessary!!! if we want a title we need to enforce defense, by that i mean pop punish the players when theyre sucking ala tony freaking parker!!!! i mean i honestly believe we are in some trouble, i hate to say it, but the way were losing, theres no effort from certain individuals, and theres some chemistry issues between people.

rj is not doing well dice is doing worse as the season progresses and were talking about letting go manu? god dammit i think pop needs to sit down and focus on whos the problem and whos not, and look at people individualy for once!!! if we make a major trade at a crucial spot its pretty much tanking the season so we need someone like a camby to just get some interior defense, and blocks.

we need to take parker out of the game !!! period frenchy yes is avg points but there alot like drew gooden points that are just empty. let hill run the team until parker resolves his pussy attitude