PDA

View Full Version : I'm noticing more and more Parker not passing to Blair

Buddy Holly
01-21-2010, 12:04 AM
So many times I see Blair with great position, sometimes just open, under the basket and Parker SEES him but either passes to someone else or keeps dribbling until he finds a path to the basket.

WTF.

it's me
01-21-2010, 12:06 AM
You mad..... TP not passing the ball to the open man???? Impossible.

Amarelooms
01-21-2010, 12:08 AM
you want to pass to an undersized rookie with no acls...yeah okay dummy...that's why you don't play basketball :elephant

superjames1992
01-21-2010, 12:08 AM
Parker does this all the time. He doesn't have very good vision, IMO. That's what keeps him from truly being an elite PG. He's a great scoring PG, but he's not great in the passing department, IMO. That's what separates guys like Nash and CP3 from TP.

Chieflion
01-21-2010, 12:09 AM
you want to pass to an undersized rookie with no acls...yeah okay dummy...that's why you don't play basketball :elephant
Ya, sure, don't pass to a guy who scores on 56.3% of his field goal attempts. What a smart guy.

exstatic
01-21-2010, 12:16 AM
I've been REALLY noticing this since Blair has started logging heavy minutes. He did pass to him once tonight, but probably the previous 10 games, the only time he EVER passes to Blair is if he is the big at the top of the circle to start the play. Manu's figured out that the kid has great hands, and is padding his assist stats to Blair.

SenorSpur
01-21-2010, 12:16 AM
Blame Pop, who has hounded TP into always looking for his offense first. This is the result.

it's me
01-21-2010, 12:19 AM
I've been REALLY noticing this since Blair has started logging heavy minutes. He did pass to him once tonight, but probably the previous 10 games, the only time he EVER passes to Blair is if he is the big at the top of the circle to start the play. Manu's figured out that the kid has great hands, and is padding his assist stats to Blair.

Yeah.... but our big boy missed two open dunks tonight...:bang

ElNono
01-21-2010, 12:21 AM
This is not news... the problem is that by noticing and mentioning things like that will quickly get you tagged a Parker-hater around here...

iminol
01-21-2010, 12:25 AM
Passing to McDyess after penetration (even when is open) should be banned. Reason: turnover.

exstatic
01-21-2010, 12:26 AM
Yeah.... but our big boy missed two open dunks tonight...:bang

He was clearly fouled on one of them, and I'll take some missed dunks if he shoots 56%. For having very little NBA experience, he's a pretty decent finisher most of the time.

HarlemHeat37
01-21-2010, 12:33 AM
It sucks because it's not like Parker can't make the passes..he makes great passes to Duncan all the time..obviously he has more chemistry with Tim, but he should at least be building some with Blair..

it's me
01-21-2010, 12:34 AM
He was clearly fouled on one of them, and I'll take some missed dunks if he shoots 56%. For having very little NBA experience, he's a pretty decent finisher most of the time.

I get it... but man... I was already celebrating those points..... :(

exstatic
01-21-2010, 12:35 AM
It sucks because it's not like Parker can't make the passes..he makes great passes to Duncan all the time..obviously he has more chemistry with Tim, but he should at least be building some with Blair..

The shitty thing is that Parker has better rapport with Dice, and Manu with Blair, but they seem to wind up paired opposite of that most of the time, with Tony ignoring Blair, and Manu sliding passes off of Dice's greasy mitts.

HankChinaski
01-21-2010, 01:19 AM
Well tonight I really sold me on that Parker doesn't make those passes because he is too hampered to. A lot of those open looks a HEALTHY Parker would have made. He would have had that extra step to wiggle more room to dish out the assist. You watch him this year and he tries to make those plays and he's well off a step or two behind himself and turns it over.

z0sa
01-21-2010, 01:21 AM
And the sad part is that Blair has probably been the second best big, at least consistency wise, all season. If anyone deserves being hooked up a little for working hard, it's him.

I_Speak_4_Dallas_Fan
01-21-2010, 01:21 AM
But Eva cooks him dinner.

murpjf88
01-21-2010, 01:22 AM
Probably just an oversight seeing as how he only had 2 assists total.

hsxvvd
01-21-2010, 01:23 AM
Apparently plantar fasciitis prevents passing to Blair.

igruex
01-21-2010, 01:32 AM
Passing to McDyess after penetration (even when is open) should be banned. Reason: turnover.

Agreed. Maybe Blair could teach Dice how to catch a fucking Manu's pass. It's getting disgusting.

timvp
01-21-2010, 01:34 AM
The shitty thing is that Parker has better rapport with Dice, and Manu with Blair, but they seem to wind up paired opposite of that most of the time, with Tony ignoring Blair, and Manu sliding passes off of Dice's greasy mitts.

Great point.

And yeah, TP needs to start trusting Blair. It's obvious that TP doesn't trust him yet.

igruex
01-21-2010, 01:38 AM

Well, then Pop has to command TP to look more for Blair when he's right under the rim and tell Dice that Manu ain't gonna tell him to catch the ball before passing it.

BigVee
01-21-2010, 10:29 AM
There are certain passes Tony can't make especially from the top of the key on a pick and roll...maybe because of his size, don't know. He passes well when driving and a defender comes at him but his range of passing is limited, unlike Manu who can make all the passes, even the ill advised ones that make you cringe.

Dex
01-21-2010, 10:55 AM
I'm finding myself becoming less and less please with Tony Parker's mental state. As much as I admired the guy for putting up career numbers last year, I am almost equally as disappointed with him this year, and it's not just with his lack of production. Tony's mind just doesn't seem to be in it this season.

The French national team - this is a no-brainer. Tony saw what happened to Manu when he played over the summer. He should know that a body can't survive playing basketball around the clock. And yet he did it anyway, and his body is paying for it now.

Looking to pass - Pop can probably be blamed for this one as well, but Tony's desire to get his teammates involved has hindered the team more than it has helped. When Tony isn't looking to drive to the hoop and let the passing come to him, his game suffers. His assist-to-turnover ratio has been atrocious, and he just looks out of sync at times. Considering he is supposed to be our engine, that can't happen

Concealing his injuries - I assume that the Spurs FO new about his plantar fasciitis before the public did, but I have to wonder by how much. Tony told Elliott in an interview that it's "gotten better over the past month", so you have to wonder if he has been struggling all season. If so, should he have asked Pop for rest earlier? Now we're to the point where we can't really afford to sit him for long, but we also can't afford to have a Jekyll-and-Hyde Parker, where you never know if you're gonna get quickfoot or slowfoot on the court.

Focus on the court - let's just say it doesn't always seem to be there.

Falling in love with the jumper - Unless he's on the break, it seems like Tony has backed off of the drive, and is settling on the jumper more. That would be fine if his jumper was falling like last season. Fact of the matter: it's not.

Lack of cohesion with his teammates - People have already mentioned Tony not looking for Blair. Now it also seems like he's having a hard time getting Jefferson the ball in good spots. Really, the only people Tony looks comfortable playing with are Tim and Manu, which I guess isn't a huge surprise, but also isn't a good sign for a "point guard".

Granted, Tony probably has the hardest adjustment on this team, trying to integrate all of these new pieces and spread the scoring load that was pretty much all on him last season. It's fair to expect a learning curve, but this has been dragging out for a while. The Spurs can't afford to have any of the Big 3 coming up as a question mark come playoff time.

SenorSpur
01-21-2010, 11:16 AM
There's no doubt this kid is being ignored by Parker and others on the starting unit.

Many times I see Blair being the first or second guy down court. He's ususally hustling his ass off to get downcourt and into the paint, with both arms outstretched and a wide-eyed look on his face. He's trying to attract the attention of TP or whoever is leading the break. Too often, he's ignored.

Even in the half-court offense, there are numerous occasions that he's open flashing across the lane or on the pick-n-roll. No one gets him the ball. Too often, he's ignored.

With the way this guy hustles and hits the glass, he should be rewarded more frequently. A true pass-first, PG would know and understand this. As brilliant of a coach as Pop is, I don't understand why he doesn't harp on this. Other than Manu, no one seems to look for the guy on a consistent basis.

Looking for Blair in transition would provide even more quick opportunity baskets, for a team that sometimes struggles to keep leads. If the Spurs would look for this guy more, he would probably average double figures for this team.

SenorSpur
01-21-2010, 11:22 AM
Granted, Tony probably has the hardest adjustment on this team, trying to integrate all of these new pieces and spread the scoring load that was pretty much all on him last season. It's fair to expect a learning curve, but this has been dragging out for a while. The Spurs can't afford to have any of the Big 3 coming up as a question mark come playoff time.

I have no sympathy for Parker because he's the one that bitched and moaned the loudest last year, claiming the roster needed upgrades. He basically carried the load last year and reminded everyone that he needed help. Now that he's gotten help, he's continued playing his selfish brand of ball-hogging offense, causing the rest of the team to suffer.

He can't have it both ways. He cannot complain about being tired and dead legged, yet continue to force his own offense, while failing to integrate the new weapons around him that could help relieve some of his offensive burden.

Josepatches_
01-21-2010, 11:49 AM
There are certain passes Tony can't make especially from the top of the key on a pick and roll...maybe because of his size, don't know. He passes well when driving and a defender comes at him but his range of passing is limited, unlike Manu who can make all the passes, even the ill advised ones that make you cringe.

One of the reasons why TP doesn't average more assist per game.A lot of people said that it's because our style of play but that's not true at all.
When Manu is the PG he gets assist easily.

ivanfromwestwood
01-21-2010, 11:59 AM
move manu to the starting pg and start parker at the 2. on defense tp can still guard the other pg.

ElNono
01-21-2010, 12:03 PM
move manu to the starting pg and start parker at the 2. on defense tp can still guard the other pg.

Actually, Hill has been guarding the opposing PG (DWill, CP3)... I believe this is because Pop don't want to tax Tony on the defensive end...

mingus
01-21-2010, 01:17 PM
Parker can't pass with his left hand, and he's just not a crafty passer in general. i think he sees him, but he doesn't have much in his arsenal in the way of passing ans so can't get him the ball.

Whisky Dog
01-21-2010, 01:47 PM
This is just what the French do. Help you out at the beginning then bitch and moan at you for the next 250 yrs.

Whisky Dog
01-21-2010, 01:49 PM
To answer the OPs concern, Parker's still mad cause Eva told Blair she wanted to find out why they call him the "Beast".

bobby4germany
01-21-2010, 02:19 PM
To answer the OPs concern, Parker's still mad cause Eva told Blair she wanted to find out why they call him the "Beast".

:wow

:lmao :rollin :lmao :rollin

benefactor
01-21-2010, 02:32 PM
I have no sympathy for Parker because he's the one that bitched and moaned the loudest last year, claiming the roster needed upgrades. He basically carried the load last year and reminded everyone that he needed help. Now that he's gotten help, he's continued playing his selfish brand of ball-hogging offense, causing the rest of the team to suffer.

He can't have it both ways. He cannot complain about being tired and dead legged, yet continue to force his own offense, while failing to integrate the new weapons around him that could help relieve some of his offensive burden.
Great post. You pretty much mirrored my thoughts on the situation.

Parker's shtick is getting old. With every passing second he shows more and more that things are all about him and he will sacrifice whatever to keep it that way. The timeline looks like this:

He has career stats last year carrying the team.

He gripes about needing help.

He plays for his national team even though he saw what happened to Manu.

He gets help through free agency and the draft.

He looks slow and tired because he didn't get enough rest in the offseason.

He whines about being tired and beat up even though it was self inflicted.

41 games into the season, he is still not using the help that he asked for.

It's like he is going in the opposite direction from a maturity standpoint. Instead of finding a way to integrate his teammates(you know, that help he was wanting) he plays the same old selfish Tonyball. He had better get over himself quick or this team is going nowhere.

benefactor
01-21-2010, 02:33 PM
Where's ducks? I'm surprised he hasn't come to TP's rescue yet.

beachwood
01-21-2010, 02:35 PM
I've noticed this time and again. Blair would be wide open, but TP would never deliver the ball. I'm chalking it up to TP not having the skills to pass the ball. These are same passes Manu makes every day to Blair.

benefactor
01-21-2010, 02:37 PM
I've noticed this time and again. Blair would be wide open, but TP would never deliver the ball. I'm chalking it up to TP not having the skills to pass the ball. These are same passes Manu makes every day to Blair.
Cop out. He makes tough passes to Duncan all the time. He also makes some pretty tough passes when passing out to jump shooters. Parker is doing what Parker wants to do...that is pretty much the long and short of it.

JP le Requin
01-21-2010, 05:51 PM
This is just what the French do. Help you out at the beginning then bitch and moan at you for the next 250 yrs.

what do u known about french and even american history, do you only remember when the twin towers were destroyed by a man with a cutter?
:flag:

ps: please dont talk about our country, you insult us!

E-RockWill
01-21-2010, 06:05 PM
what do u known about french and even american history, do you only remember when the twin towers were destroyed by a man with a cutter?
:flag:

ps: please dont talk about our country, you insult us!

:nope

Try to stay on the subject, people! (I wouldn't bring up any 9-11 references either, just bad taste.)

JP le Requin
01-21-2010, 06:10 PM
you right..if only others american people could do like you..

maybe TP doesnt want blair shine in order to have ian on the court and let him shine more than blair... no impossible i hope...i love the way blay play...

Aggie Hoopsfan
01-21-2010, 06:23 PM
n't a huge surprise, but also isn't a good sign for a "point guard".

Eh, he just either has a lack of court vision, or he has trust issues. Any decent PG on this squad would be averaging double figure assists.

He's more of a shooting guard playing at the point...

Pauleta14
01-21-2010, 06:43 PM

:wakeup

I guess ST can count on you to "raise the bar"...

cd98
01-21-2010, 06:53 PM
Why all the Parker hate?

If not for his plantar fasciitis he would be taking us to another level.

First, he is one of our best scorers and last year was virtually unstoppable going to the rim. When you can get points in the paint like him, you should be shooting and shooting often. Even if you are a point guard. Unfortunately, he doesn't have his burst of speed because of injuries. But we tend to win when he gets his points.

Second, he has never been a pass first point guard. Our offense is designed around him getting to the rim and putting pressure on the interior defense. He draws and kicks very well and is averaging a respectable amount of assists.

Third, Blair, although a nice rookie, is hardly a classic finisher in the lane. For every nice finish, he blows three or four dunks or easy shots. He also tends to get his shot blocked against bigger, longer defenders. That's not to say that he isn't effective in the paint. But if I have a choice between Parker and Blair shooting, I take Parker every time.

We need Parker's scoring. If he were 100% like last year, our team would be on par with the Cavs and the Lakers. He isn't the same player this year, unfortunately.

bobby4germany
01-21-2010, 06:56 PM
So if Parker isnt the same player as last year dont you think he should PASS it!

Nash2TimeMVp
01-21-2010, 07:01 PM
If blair was playing for the suns he'd probably be averaging 15 and 10 maybe even 18 and 10. parker is on a young decline too many national team blunders. for being an elite scorer he's doesn't have an ''elite'' PPG stat. His assists suck too, undersized shooting guard.....

Old School 44
01-21-2010, 08:25 PM
TP just isn't a great passer. His assist come mainly off reactions to what he does or attempts to do offensively or PNRs with Duncan. Not so much from other players cutting to the basket. If his drives to the basket aren't successful, his whole game suffers. If he was a better, more confident passer, he'd have a handful of alley oops (or at least attempted alley oops) to Jefferson by now.

Dro210
01-21-2010, 09:18 PM
I'm finding myself becoming less and less please with Tony Parker's mental state. As much as I admired the guy for putting up career numbers last year, I am almost equally as disappointed with him this year, and it's not just with his lack of production. Tony's mind just doesn't seem to be in it this season.

The French national team - this is a no-brainer. Tony saw what happened to Manu when he played over the summer. He should know that a body can't survive playing basketball around the clock. And yet he did it anyway, and his body is paying for it now.

Looking to pass - Pop can probably be blamed for this one as well, but Tony's desire to get his teammates involved has hindered the team more than it has helped. When Tony isn't looking to drive to the hoop and let the passing come to him, his game suffers. His assist-to-turnover ratio has been atrocious, and he just looks out of sync at times. Considering he is supposed to be our engine, that can't happen

Concealing his injuries - I assume that the Spurs FO new about his plantar fasciitis before the public did, but I have to wonder by how much. Tony told Elliott in an interview that it's "gotten better over the past month", so you have to wonder if he has been struggling all season. If so, should he have asked Pop for rest earlier? Now we're to the point where we can't really afford to sit him for long, but we also can't afford to have a Jekyll-and-Hyde Parker, where you never know if you're gonna get quickfoot or slowfoot on the court.

Focus on the court - let's just say it doesn't always seem to be there.

Falling in love with the jumper - Unless he's on the break, it seems like Tony has backed off of the drive, and is settling on the jumper more. That would be fine if his jumper was falling like last season. Fact of the matter: it's not.

Lack of cohesion with his teammates - People have already mentioned Tony not looking for Blair. Now it also seems like he's having a hard time getting Jefferson the ball in good spots. Really, the only people Tony looks comfortable playing with are Tim and Manu, which I guess isn't a huge surprise, but also isn't a good sign for a "point guard".

I completely agree... Some say it's ALL because of his injuries, and I hope it is... but even if it is just because of that, I don't see how that's a good excuse at all. Tony needs to get his shit together... I've been one of his biggest supporters from day 1, but this doesn't even seem like the same guy I've always been a huge fan of.

Third, Blair, although a nice rookie, is hardly a classic finisher in the lane. For every nice finish, he blows three or four dunks or easy shots. He also tends to get his shot blocked against bigger, longer defenders. That's not to say that he isn't effective in the paint. But if I have a choice between Parker and Blair shooting, I take Parker every time.

Really? lmao... Blair blows 3 or 4 for every 1?... wtf are you watching, and where did you take your math classes at?

Guy is shooting well over 50%, so how does that add up?

ducks
01-21-2010, 09:19 PM
damm when duncan got this injury he did not get ripped
this year tp has new teamates and is trying to gain trust in each other

it takes time
when blair misses dunks it is hard to trust him

oh it took duncan 2 years to trust tp
where were those post then about duncan

tp needs to get mental right but pop has to help him
he seems to be ok with him

Manu posted in an interview he and pop are not getting along

nothing along that line from tp about pop

rj got blasted in the paper by pop for not telling the spurs fo about his back
maybe tp hide it
he knew spurs wished he did not play for france but did anyhow
but he was healthy

manu was hurt when he still played for his country

if spurs score near 100 the o is not the problem it would be turnovers,missed free throws, or d

ducks
01-21-2010, 09:19 PM
damm when duncan got this injury he did not get ripped
this year tp has new teamates and is trying to gain trust in each other

it takes time
when blair misses dunks it is hard to trust him

oh it took duncan 2 years to trust tp
where were those post then about duncan

tp needs to get mental right but pop has to help him
he seems to be ok with him

Manu posted in an interview he and pop are not getting along

nothing along that line from tp about pop

rj got blasted in the paper by pop for not telling the spurs fo about his back
maybe tp hide it
he knew spurs wished he did not play for france but did anyhow
but he was healthy

manu was hurt when he still played for his country

if spurs score near 100 the o is not the problem it would be turnovers,missed free throws, or d

itzsoweezee
01-21-2010, 09:23 PM
i'm sure his reduced level of play is entirely due to his injury. given that, popovich needs to reduce his minutes. this is all on popovich.

ducks
01-21-2010, 09:24 PM
hopefully the allstar break will get tp rested and mentally ready to play

Chieflion
01-21-2010, 09:25 PM
Quack Quack Quack Quack Quack!
Quack Quack Quack! Quack Quack Quack Quack Quack Quack Quack!

Cool story bro.

Flux451
01-21-2010, 09:37 PM
Blair is your assists' homeboy. TP better recognize, Manu has and look at his increase in assists. TP is still holding onto his role from last year. Time's have changed, we have better players now...utilize them.

On D, ever PG can burn TP. He has show hints of aggression recently, but Hill will guard better of the 1/2 spot.

Last night I noticed when he came back in the third, the offensive momentum shifted from fluid to stagnant. Something is apparently wrong. Not sure TP is to fully blame, but he is a part of the problem.

ducks
01-21-2010, 10:50 PM
manu keeps throwing the ball to dice and
dice can not catch it because manu throws it to fast

lennyalderette
01-21-2010, 11:46 PM
This is not news... the problem is that by noticing and mentioning things like that will quickly get you tagged a Parker-hater around here...

very very true, but i dont give a shit!!!! so be it parker flat out sucks if he doesnt score 20+ and hes selfish, he passes the ball to tim 90% and the rest is either for himself or when no one gives him the ball cause he doesnt give it up. have you ever noticed him calling for the ball and guys choose not to pass it to him? i love it when they do that, he makes a face like what the hell? god i guess i am a parker hater! i really dont like his game

lennyalderette
01-21-2010, 11:49 PM
Blair is your assists' homeboy. TP better recognize, Manu has and look at his increase in assists. TP is still holding onto his role from last year. Time's have changed, we have better players now...utilize them.

On D, ever PG can burn TP. He has show hints of aggression recently, but Hill will guard better of the 1/2 spot.

Last night I noticed when he came back in the third, the offensive momentum shifted from fluid to stagnant. Something is apparently wrong. Not sure TP is to fully blame, but he is a part of the problem.

thank yuou anyone with half a brain, will notice that!!take a look at the offensive pace, and defensive pace when parker is in and out of the game!!! then talk to me about frenchy, and yes its not all his fault but you know what hes supposed to get everyone involved, and he does the opposite, and then throws turnovers and starts pointing fingers like a bitch

Emeyin
01-22-2010, 08:44 AM
I have noticed this also.

spursfan09
01-22-2010, 10:57 AM
Only in a Spur fan kinda world, would a fan complain about a veteran dissing a rookie. Maybe Parker doesn't trust him and feel like he deserves to have the ball all the time? Maybe he feels more touches for Blair = less touches for TD = TD not getting into a rhtym for the game.

kace
01-22-2010, 11:02 AM
Only in a Spur fan kinda world, would a fan complain about a veteran dissing a rookie. Maybe Parker doesn't trust him and feel like he deserves to have the ball all the time? Maybe he feels more touches for Blair = less touches for TD = TD not getting into a rhtym for the game.

not any veteran. TP gets torched here for any reason. you should get used to that.

SenorSpur
01-22-2010, 01:03 PM
Great post. You pretty much mirrored my thoughts on the situation.

Parker's shtick is getting old. With every passing second he shows more and more that things are all about him and he will sacrifice whatever to keep it that way. The timeline looks like this:

He has career stats last year carrying the team.

He gripes about needing help.

He plays for his national team even though he saw what happened to Manu.

He gets help through free agency and the draft.

He looks slow and tired because he didn't get enough rest in the offseason.

He whines about being tired and beat up even though it was self inflicted.

41 games into the season, he is still not using the help that he asked for.

It's like he is going in the opposite direction from a maturity standpoint. Instead of finding a way to integrate his teammates(you know, that help he was wanting) he plays the same old selfish Tonyball. He had better get over himself quick or this team is going nowhere.

I've never really been one to bash TP in the past, but it's starting to sink into me that he's becoming more and more of an egotistical butthole. That, along with being one of the few players on this team that is unwilling to make sacrifices for the betterment of the squad.

The surprising thing to me is that Pop seems to encourage this behavior by commanding him to continue forcing his offense. Pop loves to spout how players in his system need to "get over themselves". What is his excuse for allowing TP to become this self-centered primma donna.

Being aggressive and selfish are two different things. Because he has the ball in his hands so much, TP can get his offense anytime. He's also talented enough that he doesn't have to be just a scorer only. His proficiency at getting into the paint should benefit not only his game, but it could also benefit others - not named Duncan. He needes to open up his game and his eyes.

Having played my share of ball at various levels, I know that it's discouraging for any player that busts his ass and puts forth the max effort, like Blair has done, and not get rewarded. All players want to be tossed a bone or two on occasion. At this point, Manu is the only one that seems to get it.

This is an indictment on the PG, in that players that are open rolling off screens or those running wide open on the break, are not getting some touches, while the PG is going 1-on-3 into a crowd. TP needs to WFTU.

cd98
01-22-2010, 03:18 PM
I completely agree... Some say it's ALL because of his injuries, and I hope it is... but even if it is just because of that, I don't see how that's a good excuse at all. Tony needs to get his shit together... I've been one of his biggest supporters from day 1, but this doesn't even seem like the same guy I've always been a huge fan of.

Really? lmao... Blair blows 3 or 4 for every 1?... wtf are you watching, and where did you take your math classes at?

Guy is shooting well over 50%, so how does that add up?

You are assuming "nice finish" means every time he scores a basket. If that were the case, then my statement would be mathematically incorrect. Some shots he makes are pedestrian shots that any pro basketball player should make. Every so often he gets a sensational shot. And often the reason why he is shooting around 50% is because the other 50% involve getting his shot blocked or missing a chip shot because of an intimidating shot blocker. He has much to learn.

TP shouldn't pass more this year because our system is built around him getting to the rim and he is still doing it this year, but not as good as last year because of injuries.

Dice
01-22-2010, 05:00 PM
You are assuming "nice finish" means every time he scores a basket. If that were the case, then my statement would be mathematically incorrect. Some shots he makes are pedestrian shots that any pro basketball player should make. Every so often he gets a sensational shot. And often the reason why he is shooting around 50% is because the other 50% involve getting his shot blocked or missing a chip shot because of an intimidating shot blocker. He has much to learn.

:lol I guess once he "learns" he'll be shooting around 90% from the field like the rest of the bigs in the league.

Basketball genius.

igruex
01-22-2010, 05:16 PM
The surprising thing to me is that Pop seems to encourage this behavior by commanding him to continue forcing his offense.

Being aggressive and selfish are two different things. Because he has the ball in his hands so much, TP can get his offense anytime. He's also talented enough that he doesn't have to be just a scorer only.

I think Pop (as many of us) believes that Tony cannot evolve into a more natural PG who gets everyone involved. He simply cannot do what Manu's doing so well this season (let me remind you that Manu never passed the ball so efficiently in the past which isn't helping Tony's case). Therefore there's no other way that to command Tony to attack the rim as usual and try to adjust the other pieces to that.

It's clearly not working so far..

diego
01-22-2010, 05:17 PM
I can't understand the argument that it is better for one player to score all the points. its always better to have a balanced attack. when you play chess, do you only use the queen to take pieces, or do you keep your opponent guessing? anyways...

tony isnt perfect, he can still improve. But this specific argument is on Pop IMO. Or does tony really do whatever he wants out there?

dbestpro
01-22-2010, 05:39 PM
Tony has peaked. He is what he is. He can score points and in bunches or the player he is guarding can score points and in bunches. Play him, trade him, but get someone as a 3rd PG who does not turn the ball over. You know, just for fun.

cd98
01-22-2010, 06:04 PM
:lol I guess once he "learns" he'll be shooting around 90% from the field like the rest of the bigs in the league.

Basketball genius.

If all he is doing is shooting layups and dunks, then shouldn't he be shooting higher than 50%?

taps
01-22-2010, 07:13 PM
blah blah blah something really offensive about 9/11 and innocent American lives lost

so when does this guy get banned? most tasteless joke i've heard in years.

ElNono
01-22-2010, 08:35 PM
If all he is doing is shooting layups and dunks, then shouldn't he be shooting higher than 50%?

He is. When this thread was started he was shooting 56%. I don't know what's the current percentage, but can't be too different.

easy7
01-22-2010, 10:25 PM
Today's ATT connection of the game was- Parker pass to Blair for a lay up. Don't those two mofos read this thread? That was not supposed to happen... :lmao

Dro210
01-22-2010, 10:47 PM
Yea.... Except Tony missed him initially on the break. He made a nice play to draw Scola over and get it back to him tho.

Dice
01-23-2010, 03:38 PM

You mean like Shaq? Or Dwight? Who's got the best percentage in the league right now and what are they shooting?

Spurs da champs
01-23-2010, 04:36 PM
Great point.

And yeah, TP needs to start trusting Blair. It's obvious that TP doesn't trust him yet.

I'm no sure it's just distrust or simply being a ball hog.

pjjrfan
01-23-2010, 04:44 PM
There's no doubt this kid is being ignored by Parker and others on the starting unit.

Many times I see Blair being the first or second guy down court. He's ususally hustling his ass off to get downcourt and into the paint, with both arms outstretched and a wide-eyed look on his face. He's trying to attract the attention of TP or whoever is leading the break. Too often, he's ignored.

Even in the half-court offense, there are numerous occasions that he's open flashing across the lane or on the pick-n-roll. No one gets him the ball. Too often, he's ignored.

With the way this guy hustles and hits the glass, he should be rewarded more frequently. A true pass-first, PG would know and understand this. As brilliant of a coach as Pop is, I don't understand why he doesn't harp on this. Other than Manu, no one seems to look for the guy on a consistent basis.

Looking for Blair in transition would provide even more quick opportunity baskets, for a team that sometimes struggles to keep leads. If the Spurs would look for this guy more, he would probably average double figures for this team.

Aside from Manu, who else see's blair when he's open? No one. And lately he can't seem to finish so maybe it's not a bad thing, it's so disheartning to see Blair, McDyess and Tim miss so many easy shots.