PDA

View Full Version : McDonald: Duncan short of milestone in Spurs' loss

duncan228
01-21-2010, 01:02 AM
Duncan short of milestone in Spurs' loss (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Duncan_short_of_milestone_in_Spurs_loss.html)
Jeff McDonald

Well before the Spurs took the floor Wednesday night, those in charge of such things decided the celebration of Tim Duncan's impending 20,000-point milestone would be low-key.

There would be no pomp and circumstance, no unnecessary stoppage in play, no tear-jerking tribute on the overhead video screen.

As it turned out, the moment was low-key all right. So low-key, it will have to wait until Friday.

Duncan fouled out with 14 points late in the Spurs' 105-98 loss to Utah at the AT&T Center, leaving the arena stuck on 19,999 for his career, the party postponed 48 hours.

His teammates, meanwhile, left the arena more concerned with the numbers on the scoreboard than the numbers in Duncan's box score. The loss was their fourth this season against a team they used to own.

“The 20,000 milestone is not happening today, but it's happening (next game),” said Manu Ginobili, whose team hosts Houston on Friday. “It's just tough to see the team losing for the fourth time against the Jazz. That's hard to swallow.”

Harder to fathom was the manner in which strike four came.

Duncan's disqualification was a somewhat out-of-character end to an out-of-character game, one in which the Spurs trailed by 12, then led by 14, then trailed by 12 again, and ultimately shot 39.3 percent and lost despite a 25-0 run in the first half.

With the victory, the Jazz — once upon a time one of the more hapless of Spurs foils — finished off their first season sweep of the Spurs since 1993-94. After once owning a 20-game losing streak in San Antonio, Utah now has won two in a row.

“I never beat them when I was with Detroit, either,” Spurs forward-center Antonio McDyess said. “I guess I brought it with me.”

Among Wednesday's silver linings: The Spurs don't have to see Carlos Boozer again this season.

Boozer had 31 points and 13 rebounds, surpassing his season averages against the Spurs, and Andrei Kirilenko came up big with 26 points to spark the Utah victory.

If the game was a heavyweight fight, both teams nearly scored a knockout blow in the first half.

The Jazz jumped to a 12-0 lead in the game's first five minutes, with the Spurs missing their first eight shots.

Then, about the time Ginobili checked into the game, the switch flipped.

The Spurs closed the first quarter on a 14-0 run to take a one-point lead into the second, then scored the first 11 points of that quarter. That 25-0 burst left the Spurs ahead 33-21 two minutes into the second quarter.

Eventually the Jazz struck again, forging ahead by 12 again midway through the fourth, and lightning could not strike twice for the Spurs.

One key was 3-point shooting. The Spurs made five of their first seven during their initial rally, then made one of their next 14.

“We were 4 for 24 on jump shots in the second half,” Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said. “We need to shoot the ball better.”

With the Spurs threatening another down-from-12 rally in the middle of the fourth, the Jazz had five straight productive possessions: Kirilenko dunk, Kirilenko 1 of 2 free throws, Kirilenko dunk, Boozer layup and Boozer layup.

Ginobili finished with 22 points and eight assists to lead the Spurs. Tony Parker scored 20, and George Hill had 16.

The man of the hour, Duncan, never could get untracked. His sixth foul put an unceremonious end to a night that would have been without ceremony anyway.

It came while defending Boozer at the rim with 30.1 seconds to go. Boozer's ensuing foul shots gave Utah a 101-96 lead and pushed the Spurs' comeback into the range of improbable.

And so, Duncan's 20,000-point celebration, as low-key as it will be, has been postponed until Friday's game against Houston. If Duncan doesn't reach the mark then, the Spurs are truly in trouble.

fyatuk
01-21-2010, 01:53 AM
Heh. I called Duncan getting 14 points before the game started. Once I saw the big deal they were making pre-game of him getting his 20k, I KNEW he was going to barely miss it.

Jinx in full effect there. Way to go broadcast crew.

crc21209
01-21-2010, 02:06 AM
Heh. I called Duncan getting 14 points before the game started. Once I saw the big deal they were making pre-game of him getting his 20k, I KNEW he was going to barely miss it.

Jinx in full effect there. Way to go broadcast crew.

Please. Don't blame the media. Of course the media was going to hype it, because no one else will...not BSPN, not the team, and certainly not TD. So if anyone was going to hype TD's scoring milestone it was going to be our local broadcast crew. And even though TD doesnt like the attention of it, he deserves it, not many players are going to accomplish what he has. So why not let our local crew try and make it special...

fyatuk
01-21-2010, 08:50 AM
I have no problem with them hyping it, but you could at least wait until after the fact. Hyping a possibility immediately pre-game is just asking for it not to happen. Make a big deal of it in game when it happens, dedicate the postgame show to it, etc.

Same thing happened with Pop's 700.

I'm not really blaming the media, other than for fun, but I do HATE pimping out something that might happen in the pre-game coverage. You use the possibility to sell tickets in advance, of course, but it's not like someone is going to see the game-intro and decide "oh I should watch this happen."

TheChillFactor
01-21-2010, 08:55 AM
“We were 4 for 24 on jump shots in the second half,” Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said. “We need to shoot the ball better.”

Hmmmm....Pop almost NEVER complains about the offense. His standard line is to play defense and the offense will be fine. This is sort of odd, I wonder where his head is at.