PDA

View Full Version : Spurs still looking for their 1st solid win over a good team this season

in2deep
01-21-2010, 10:35 AM
:( :(

let me prove it to you.

IMO:
a good team: a team that wins over 60% of their games
a solid win: a win of more than 6 points

Spurs have 25 wins.

We remove all the wins vs. bad teams: Spurs have 3 wins :wow (this is pathetic enough already, but it gets worse)

We remove all the wins of less than 6 points: Spurs have 2 wins:

vs. Dallas on Nov 11 92-83
vs. Lakers on Jan 12 105-85

We remove the Dallas game. Why? If you watch it again, Dallas shot themselves out of the game early and it continued. Dallas was just attrocious that game from the getgo. I remember we did not have Duncan or Parker as well. It was just one of those games and I don't count this win as a win over a good team. Beleive me, just watch it again and tell me Dallas did not lose the game on their own. They would have lost to anyone that night.

We remove the Lakers game. that one is easy. No Gasol and Kobe playing hurt for most of the game and then leaving.

That leaves the Spurs with ZERO (0) solid wins over good teams this season. :bang

now can someone please tell me how this season is not a complete failure so far????

:wakeup

in2deep
01-21-2010, 10:39 AM
on a further note. When will the Spurs get their first solid win. Shit, I'll take a win of 1 point vs. a good team. But when will they get their first > 6 pt win????

next games vs. good teams:
Atlanta
Denver
@ Portland
@ Lakers
@ Denver

as you can see it's gotta be vs. Atlanta or Denver because I don't see us winning @LA,Portland,Denver

BG_Spurs_Fan
01-21-2010, 10:39 AM
LOL let me play your game - we remove all the losses because Parker is hurt and RJ and Dice haven't fit yet, so we're 100%, surely we're gonna win the title.

HORNSWOGGLE
01-21-2010, 10:41 AM
:sleep

ElNono
01-21-2010, 10:42 AM
Silly thread... Our win against NO on the road was pretty solid, losing the lead notwithstanding.
Winning by 1, 5, 7 or 20 still counts as a win. We didn't always beat up good teams by +7 on championship seasons either...

in2deep
01-21-2010, 10:43 AM
Silly thread... Our win against NO on the road was pretty solid, losing the lead notwithstanding.
Winning by 1, 5, 7 or 20 still counts as a win. We didn't always beat up good teams by +7 on championship seasons either...

true except NO is not a good team

in2deep
01-21-2010, 10:44 AM
LOL let me play your game - we remove all the losses because Parker is hurt and RJ and Dice haven't fit yet, so we're 100%, surely we're gonna win the title.

may the basketball Gods hear you

Chomag
01-21-2010, 10:44 AM

NO a solid win? They almost came back on the Spurs and they are a very terrible team this year.

ElNono
01-21-2010, 10:47 AM
true except NO is not a good team

Sure they are. They might not be at the same level of LA, Cavs or Boston, but they're always a tough team to beat on their home court. What was their record at home this season before our game?

hater
01-21-2010, 10:50 AM
Sure they are. They might not be at the same level of LA, Cavs or Boston, but they're always a tough team to beat on their home court. What was their record at home this season before our game?

NO sucks. WTF are you smoking??

ElNono
01-21-2010, 10:55 AM
NO a solid win? They almost came back on the Spurs and they are a very terrible team this year.

They're over .500 and have basically the same record as Utah, Memphis and Phoenix... You can say they're not elite or contenders, but you can't say they're a bad team.
Minesotta is a bad team. New Jersey is a bad team.

hater
01-21-2010, 10:56 AM
They're over .500 and have basically the same record as Utah, Memphis and Phoenix... You can say they're not elite or contenders, but you can't say they're a bad team.
Minesotta is a bad team. New Jersey is a bad team.

a team that wins 50% is not a good team. they are a mediocre team.

I agree about teams that win over 60% being "good"

then the contenders are only the lakers/celtics/cavs so far.

Agloco
01-21-2010, 10:58 AM

let me prove it to you.

IMO:

This is no where close to proving anything. Show us how you come to choose those numbers? Are they based on long-term statistical analysis? Perhaps a handbook from the NBA which gives these criteria for defining the terms you lay out above?

We need something more than an arbitrary set of parameters from you if we're gonna go about proving anything.

Chieflion
01-21-2010, 10:59 AM
You are mad. A championship contender usually has the top 5 point differential in the league against their opponents. The point differential this year has been around 7.7 for the top spot. So a solid win against a contender will be around the +2 or 3 mark anyhow.

in2deep
01-21-2010, 11:00 AM
This is no where close to proving anything. Show us how you come to choose those numbers? Are they based on long-term statistical analysis? Perhaps a handbook from the NBA which gives these criteria for defining the terms you lay out above?

We need something more than an arbitrary set of parameters from you if we're gonna go about proving anything.

my parameters used are up there and are pretty reasonable IMO. But if you wanna beleive Spurs had solid wins vs. good teams, good for you :flag:

ElNono
01-21-2010, 11:00 AM
a team that wins 50% is not a good team. they are a mediocre team.

I agree about teams that win over 60% being "good"

then the contenders are only the lakers/celtics/cavs so far.

The West is way too competitive to have a lot of teams over .600

The rest is simply semantics. To me, a team over .500 in this competitive west is a good team. Over .600 is a contender/elite team.

ElNono
01-21-2010, 11:02 AM
my parameters used are up there and are pretty reasonable IMO. But if you wanna beleive Spurs had solid wins vs. good teams, good for you :flag:

In other words, completely arbitrary...

in2deep
01-21-2010, 11:08 AM
In other words, completely arbitrary...

let me prove it to you.

IMO:

this is a forum dude. You really think I pretend this is scientific evidence? :lol

MB20
01-21-2010, 11:08 AM
Would you consider the OKC a good team? That was a good win in overtime, imo. And it was on the road.

in2deep
01-21-2010, 11:10 AM
Would you consider the OKC a good team? That was a good win in overtime, imo. And it was on the road.

yessir. Only a 1 pt win though. But that is probably our biggest/best win of the season so far.

Agloco
01-21-2010, 11:13 AM

Just don't post things like "Let me prove it to you...." and you'll be fine. It's your opinion, state it as such.

in2deep
01-21-2010, 11:14 AM
Just don't post things like "Let me prove it to you...." and you'll be fine. It's your opinion, state it as such.

I did see my first post. Reading is fundamental.

hater
01-21-2010, 11:16 AM
if we lose both to ATL and Denver.

I don't know. I might just stop watching.

Agloco
01-21-2010, 11:18 AM

let me prove it to you.

IMO:

yessir. Only a 1 pt win though. But that is probably our biggest/best win of the season so far.

This is so fail:

OKC is 24-18. That's .571 for those who are mathematically challenged.....

By your own criteria, OKC doesn't qualify.......

But our win against Dallas doesn't count, and the reasons you give are less than clear. :rolleyes

in2deep
01-21-2010, 11:19 AM
This is so fail:

OKC is 24-18. That's .571 for those who are mathematically challenged.....

By your own criteria, OKC doesn't qualify.......

But our win against Dallas doesn't count, and the reasons you give are less than clear. :rolleyes

OKC is a good team. But the win was only a 1pt win. which is not a solid win. We actually dodged a bullet because we lost a huge lead. Again, reading is fundamental.

Agloco
01-21-2010, 11:19 AM
I did see my first post. Reading is fundamental.

Aye you did, but you can't prove something based on your opinion......thats the point. :toast

Gimmie something solid to work with here.

in2deep
01-21-2010, 11:21 AM
Aye you did, but you can't prove something based on your opinion......thats the point. :toast

Gimmie something solid to work with here.

what is considered a good team in your opinion? what is considered a solid win? gimme numbers.

Agloco
01-21-2010, 11:29 AM
what is considered a good team in your opinion? what is considered a solid win?

Well, without actually giving numbers I'd start by looking at historic point differentials and getting a feel for what they were for the playoff teams, and the eventual champions. I'd consider going back about 10 years or so for a decent sample size. Statistical power is tricky here since you're trying to demonstrate a subtle difference, on both counts.

I'd then do the same for winning percentage. By doing that, at least you have firm footing for your argument. Simply pulling numbers out of thin air wil get you flamed more often than not.

If you wanted to add more validity to your argument, try some statistical derivatives related to the two above.

Sounds a bit tedious, and it is. But you'll have a solid argument with more validity at the end of the day. Good luck :toast

in2deep
01-21-2010, 11:33 AM
Well, without actually giving numbers I'd start by looking at historic point differentials and getting a feel for what they were for the playoff teams, and the eventual champions. I'd consider going back about 10 years or so for a decent sample size. Statistical power is tricky here since you're trying to demonstrate a subtle difference, on both counts.

I'd then do the same for winning percentage. By doing that, at least you have firm footing for your argument. Simply pulling numbers out of thin air wil get you flamed more often than not.

If you wanted to add more validity to your argument, try some statistical derivatives related to the two above.

Sounds a bit tedious, and it is. But you'll have a solid argument with more validity at the end of the day. Good luck :toast

how is that pulling #s out of the air. It's common sense. A good team is a team that wins more than loses. So a good team is clearly at least a team that wins > 50% of their games. I said 60% because IMO, 50-60% is mediocre. And a solid win is a win that a team wins handily. IMO a win of more than 2 possesions is a solid win. Because otherwise the game could have easily gone the other way. So that is why I picked 6pts.

So it is not pulling #s out of the air. It is using common sense and logic. Anyway, let's just agree to disagree. Carry on :toast

jag
01-21-2010, 11:46 AM
With Duncan and Manu getting limited minutes, i'm not so worried about the Spurs beating up on bad teams. Beating contenders is nice, but as long as they can lock down one of the top 4 spots come playoff time (while keeping their 4 options healthy) it will be mission accomplished. Once the PO rolls around you can expect to see Duncan, Manu, Jefferson and Parker on the floor together for longer minutes and during the big moments. I'm also looking forward to seeing some consistent rotations in the lineup.

The Truth #6
01-21-2010, 11:58 AM
With Duncan and Manu getting limited minutes, i'm not so worried about the Spurs beating up on bad teams. Beating contenders is nice, but as long as they can lock down one of the top 4 spots come playoff time (while keeping their 4 options healthy) it will be mission accomplished. Once the PO rolls around you can expect to see Duncan, Manu, Jefferson and Parker on the floor together for longer minutes and during the big moments. I'm also looking forward to seeing some consistent rotations in the lineup.

Are you saying they're going to flip a switch?

jag
01-21-2010, 12:05 PM
I'm saying i don't care if they spend the season beating up on bad or injured teams as long as they can lock down a top 4 spot.

rascal
01-21-2010, 12:08 PM

Margin of victory is important in determining the strenght of the team.

rascal
01-21-2010, 12:11 PM
I'm saying i don't care if they spend the season beating up on bad or injured teams as long as they can lock down a top 4 spot.

What good is getting a top 4 seed if they get bumped out in the 1st round because they can't beat the playoff teams.

ElNono
01-21-2010, 12:15 PM
Margin of victory is important in determining the strenght of the team.

We're among the top in margin of victory. I believe we rank better than Boston and Dallas in that department. That's why we were like #2 in Hollinger's power rankings a week ago. It's all fool's gold though. We're not much better than second round fodder at this point...

rascal
01-21-2010, 12:19 PM
We're among the top in margin of victory. I believe we rank better than Boston and Dallas in that department. That's why we were like #2 in Hollinger's power rankings a week ago. It's all fool's gold though. We're not much better than second round fodder at this point...

I left off margin of victory against the better teams in the league.
The problem is interior defense.

Against the better teams in the league the weakness of the interior defense comes to light more than against the inferior teams where you can get away with not a strong post presence.

ElNono
01-21-2010, 12:50 PM
I left off margin of victory against the better teams in the league.
The problem is interior defense.

Against the better teams in the league the weakness of the interior defense comes to light more than against the inferior teams where you can get away with not a strong post presence.

I think that has been a problem somewhat mitigated by a great rebounder like Blair. If you reduce second chance points, then that goes a long way towards playing complete defense. Obviously, going small just kills any semblance of that.
The other problem is entirely correctible with this roster, and it's attitude and intensity for 48 minutes. When we made our 25-0 run we were playing with a lot of intensity. RJ had a block on Millsap right under the rim. Hill was all over. Manu had a steal or two. We need to figure out how we can play with that kind of intensity for longer stretches.

Fabbs
01-21-2010, 03:21 PM

let me prove it to you.

IMO:

Spurs have 25 wins.

We remove all the wins vs. bad teams: Spurs have 3 wins :wow (this is pathetic enough already, but it gets worse)

We remove all the wins of less than 6 points: Spurs have 2 wins:

vs. Dallas on Nov 11 92-83
vs. Lakers on Jan 12 105-85

We remove the Dallas game. Why? If you watch it again, Dallas shot themselves out of the game early and it continued. Dallas was just attrocious that game from the getgo. I remember we did not have Duncan or Parker as well. It was just one of those games and I don't count this win as a win over a good team. Beleive me, just watch it again and tell me Dallas did not lose the game on their own. They would have lost to anyone that night.

We remove the Lakers game. that one is easy. No Gasol and Kobe playing hurt for most of the game and then leaving.

That leaves the Spurs with ZERO (0) solid wins over good teams this season. :bang

now can someone please tell me how this season is not a complete failure so far????

:wakeup
nicely done. I'm gonna run the stats on 3rd qtrs vs good teams to further show how well Lord Poppycock makes halftime adjustments.

hater
01-22-2010, 02:14 PM
beating Atlanta would not be good enough for be. They need to beat Nuggets to get back on my good side.

in2deep
01-27-2010, 11:38 AM
bump!

this is the day! Spurs must win today, it doesn't matter if it's a win by 1 pt or 10 pts.

Agloco
01-27-2010, 12:11 PM
how is that pulling #s out of the air. It's common sense. A good team is a team that wins more than loses. So a good team is clearly at least a team that wins > 50% of their games. I said 60% because IMO, 50-60% is mediocre. And a solid win is a win that a team wins handily. IMO a win of more than 2 possesions is a solid win. Because otherwise the game could have easily gone the other way. So that is why I picked 6pts.

So it is not pulling #s out of the air. It is using common sense and logic. Anyway, let's just agree to disagree. Carry on :toast

bump!

this is the day! Spurs must win today, it doesn't matter if it's a win by 1 pt or 10 pts.

:lol

Ummm......ok. Great to see your thread bumped again. Spurs lose this one BTW.

in2deep
01-27-2010, 12:57 PM
:lol

Ummm......ok. Great to see your thread bumped again. Spurs lose this one BTW.

at this point. it doesn't matter anymore. a win tonight would be huge. Because the type of team that Atlanta is (gives Boston/Cavs/Lakers fits) and they are on a roll.

hater
01-27-2010, 02:22 PM
it would be a solid win over Atlanta.

Atlanta is 8-2 in their last 10 games and has beat Boston 3 times.

anonoftheinternets
01-27-2010, 02:29 PM
odds are against us. This is a nightmare matchup for us. I prefer our chances against denver.

rascal
01-27-2010, 02:35 PM
A win and maybe the front office begins to believe again the roster is fine the way it is and doesn't look to make a trade.

nkdlunch
01-27-2010, 05:54 PM
A win and maybe the front office begins to believe again the roster is fine the way it is and doesn't look to make a trade.

no way Spurs win this one. Probably worst matchup for us in the entire NBA. It's like a 160 pound 37 year old boxer fighting a 180 pound 21 year old southpaw.

If Spurs prove me wrong they might have something left after all. :downspin:

TJastal
01-27-2010, 06:00 PM
The spurs are backed into a corner right now and they will either come out fighting like mad dogs or quietly shit themselves and ask to be put to sleep.

I think this team still has plenty of pride and will come out the former.

in2deep
01-27-2010, 10:58 PM
congrats 2 d spurs on their first solid win over a good team this season

Obstructed_View
01-27-2010, 11:00 PM
It was really gratifying to see three forwards and two guards on the floor for most of the second half.

HarlemHeat37
01-27-2010, 11:00 PM
Great win..more importantly, great EFFORT for the entire game..they didn't go soft for significant stretches..hopefully they can keep this effort up more often, they haven't done it for most of the season..

bdictjames
01-27-2010, 11:11 PM
Let's hope this is the turnaround, gentlemen.. and ladies.

Obstructed_View
01-27-2010, 11:13 PM
Great win..more importantly, great EFFORT for the entire game..they didn't go soft for significant stretches..hopefully they can keep this effort up more often, they haven't done it for most of the season..

They got whooped pretty good in the last couple of minutes of the second through the third quarter, which they do a lot, and they had their little run at the end of the fourth, which they do a lot. The difference is that they got up enough early that they were playing from ahead instead of behind.

EricB
01-27-2010, 11:16 PM
Uh the hawks are a damn good team. They were gonna make runs....

HarlemHeat37
01-27-2010, 11:17 PM
They got whooped pretty good in the last couple of minutes of the second through the third quarter, which they do a lot, and they had their little run at the end of the fourth, which they do a lot. The difference is that they got up enough early that they were playing from ahead instead of behind.

They actually showed resistance though, which they haven't done against good teams this year..

When Atlanta cut it down to 9, the Spurs actually counter-punched and took the game back for the rest of the 4th..in most other games vs. good teams this year, they just laid down and started shooting stupid Js and turning it over..tonight they actually stayed aggressive when the Hawks made their big run..

ElNono
01-27-2010, 11:18 PM
I liked what I saw tonight... 2 good defensive quarters and 1 GREAT defensive quarter...

ATL missed a bunch of gimmies though, but I thought we responded well to their punches... the only downside was TP going down...

TampaDude
01-27-2010, 11:20 PM
Spurs still looking for their 1st solid win over a good team this season??? Not any more!!! :toast

rascal
01-28-2010, 12:23 PM
Don't get so excited. The spurs will win some and lose some. Atlanta won't even get to the eastern conference finals.

ElNono
01-28-2010, 02:05 PM
Don't get so excited. The spurs will win some and lose some. Atlanta won't even get to the eastern conference finals.

Don't they all?

HarlemHeat37
01-28-2010, 02:15 PM
He's going to reply with something Laker-related, I can feel it..

in2deep
01-29-2010, 11:02 PM
congrats to the Spurs on their 2nd consecutive solid win over a good team this season!!!!

Let's make it 3 in a row on Sunday ;)

in2deep
01-29-2010, 11:02 PM
GHill is the motherfucking SHIT!

HarlemHeat37
01-29-2010, 11:03 PM
Without Tony too..

beating Denver with Anthony would be a huge W for the Spurs, huge confidence-booster..

Biggems
01-30-2010, 12:38 AM
If the Spurs had been able to close out games so far this season, they would most likely have the top record in the league. Of their 18 losses, at least 10-12 have come after they blew leads late in the game.

While their record is not all that great, at least they are in contention to win pretty much every one of these games in the final minutes.

All I care about is the Spurs being able to finish games the rest of the season, especially the playoffs.

Spursfan092120
01-30-2010, 01:04 AM
Spurs after 45 games
This season: 27-18
2003: 29-16
2005 35-10
2007 31-14

We're not that far off...we'll be fine...Rodeo road trip coming up..this will tell us a lot about this team.

ElNono
01-30-2010, 01:29 AM
Without Tony too..

beating Denver with Anthony would be a huge W for the Spurs, huge confidence-booster..

Don't get too excited, we're gonna win some and we're gonna lose some

:jack