PDA

View Full Version : How big is the Cavs game for the Lakers?

tlongII
01-21-2010, 11:11 AM
I think it's DAMN big! If they lose this I think they can pretty much forget about repeating.

Reeko_Htown
01-21-2010, 11:19 AM
Why? LeBron and Co are known for sucking in the playoffs.

TheManFromAcme
01-21-2010, 11:20 AM
Just another regular season game. Not even a gauging game. It is what it is.
(See regular season games between Orlando and L.A. 2009)

21_Blessings
01-21-2010, 11:41 AM
January regular season matchup, nothing more.

lil_penny
01-21-2010, 11:41 AM
Yea I agree its not that big of a deal due in part to them losing to magic last season then beating them in the finals.. the cavs are the best team in the east right now, and I expect a good game. Not sure who's going to win though.

dirk4mvp
01-21-2010, 11:42 AM
Why? LeBron and Co are known for sucking in the playoffs.

Maybe his company, but not LeBron. Stupid statement.

The_Game
01-21-2010, 11:50 AM
I think it's DAMN big! If they lose this I think they can pretty much forget about repeating.

:lol:lol:lol idiot.

ChrisRichards
01-21-2010, 11:54 AM
Depends on what manner the Lakers lose. If its a 2-4 pt loss then yeah its no big deal. However if this becomes another blowout win for the Cavs then LA should be concerned.

People use the Orlando-LA matchup as reference which is fine, but LA fans also has to remember the eerily similar blowout loss to Boston when the Celtics won the title.

Donkeybong
01-21-2010, 11:59 AM
i think its a big game. Lakers need to take it to them from the beginning and win convincingly. Otherwise, the trade rumors will start swirling around again and the we'll have this cloud hanging over our head for a month or so with people really doubting whether the Lakers can repeat. This game will come down to how Lamar performs. If his head is in the game and he's grabbing boards, we'll win.

namlook
01-21-2010, 12:15 PM

LOL. Is this a joke? The outcome of this game means nothing as far as the Lakers chances of repeating. Zilch, zero, nada.

TheManFromAcme
01-21-2010, 12:19 PM
i think its a big game. Lakers need to take it to them from the beginning and win convincingly. Otherwise, the trade rumors will start swirling around again and the we'll have this cloud hanging over our head for a month or so with people really doubting whether the Lakers can repeat. This game will come down to how Lamar performs. If his head is in the game and he's grabbing boards, we'll win.

This ^

The Gemini Method
01-21-2010, 12:28 PM
It's a big game for the psyche of the Lakers. Whether or not it is a determination on how the rest of the season play out is still to be determined. I think the Lakers take care of business, but it won't be a blowout. Last year, it was the 6 game roadie that defined the title run with victories over Boston and Cleveland that boosted the belief that the Lakers could beat the supposed elite and that will also be key on this trip as they go into Cleveland and Boston on this 8-game road trip.

tlongII
01-21-2010, 12:28 PM
It's a HUGE game for the Lakers. There is no sound rationale for disputing this fact. If Cleveland wins tonight without Mo Williams I think they will steamroll thru the playoffs on their way to the franchise's first championship.

ChrisRichards
01-21-2010, 12:31 PM
It's a big game for the psyche of the Lakers. Whether or not it is a determination on how the rest of the season play out is still to be determined. I think the Lakers take care of business, but it won't be a blowout. Last year, it was the 6 game roadie that defined the title run with victories over Boston and Cleveland that boosted the belief that the Lakers could beat the supposed elite and that will also be key on this trip as they go into Cleveland and Boston on this 8-game road trip.
This Laker fan gets it. However, this 8 game swing is a fairly easy one except those two games you mentioned.

The Gemini Method
01-21-2010, 12:34 PM
This Laker fan gets it. However, this 8 game swing is a fairly easy one except those two games you mentioned.

Yeah, the rest of the teams are not the hardest of foes, but you do have typical pratfalls for the Lakers. They've lost to Indiana @ Indiana in the past few years and Memphis is playing spirited ball. It is also around the time Bynum usually hurts one of his knees, so that has to be factored into the whole mix. You never know what to expect from Toronto, and last year they almost beat the Lakers on the 6-game trip. I just want a steady effort from them and anything else is a bonus. Beat the two heavyweights on this trip and it will resonate with the rest of the league that the defending champs are not going to lie down without a fight.

NRHector
01-21-2010, 12:47 PM
If Lakers win it was a huge game and they will win :lobt2:
If Lakers lose it was just another meaningless game

Allanon
01-21-2010, 12:52 PM
Lakers have been really great in revenge games this year.

They'll pay back the Cavs and then some.

The Gemini Method
01-21-2010, 12:58 PM
Lakers have been really great in revenge games this year.

They'll pay back the Cavs and then some.

Dallas and the Clippers can attest to that...

Mike D
01-21-2010, 01:10 PM
http://pics.bikerag.com/Uploads/data/500/258Troll_spray.jpg

Mike D
01-21-2010, 01:10 PM
http://blog.infinitemonkeysblog.com/files/images/obvious_troll.preview.jpg

lil_penny
01-21-2010, 01:25 PM
Damn I totally forgot about hca being at stake.. later down the road this game may prove to be a lot bigger than most of us are thinking.

Killakobe81
01-21-2010, 01:31 PM
Depends on what manner the Lakers lose. If its a 2-4 pt loss then yeah its no big deal. However if this becomes another blowout win for the Cavs then LA should be concerned.

People use the Orlando-LA matchup as reference which is fine, but LA fans also has to remember the eerily similar blowout loss to Boston when the Celtics won the title.

ChrisRichards ..excellent post. If more of your like this you would definitely move up in my book!
I agree if a double digit loss I would be concerned ...if Kobe looks healthy ,,,if not all bets are off.
Im still not a HUGE believer in thr Cavs though ...Lebron, yes. Cavs still unsure ...

tlongII
01-21-2010, 01:31 PM
Laker fans are kidding themselves if they think they have any chance after losing this game.

The Gemini Method
01-21-2010, 01:32 PM
Laker fans are kidding themselves if they think they have any chance after losing this game.

Yeah, because you make any sense basing the remainder of the season on a loss in January. I guess that's the logic coming from a fan of a team that hosts parades for anything less than a championship.

lil_penny
01-21-2010, 01:41 PM
Yeah, because you make any sense basing the remainder of the season on a loss in January. I guess that's the logic coming from a fan of a team that hosts parades for anything less than a championship.

I'm pretty sure it wasn't a parade... nor was it a riot.

Killakobe81
01-21-2010, 01:42 PM

Ok so last year all fans were delusional for thinking celts or Cavs could of beaten the Lakers ...dumb logic ..

One and done champion teams like the Blazers or Heat no dyck about defending a title regular season means crap ...no ROx fan can tell you regular season meant squat when they repeated ...

The Gemini Method
01-21-2010, 01:43 PM
I'm pretty sure it wasn't a parade... nor was it a riot.

Whatever it was, there is no need to spell complete doom if the Lakers drop this one. Makes no sense at all to discredit the defending champions. It will, however, play big in the role of HCA and all that, but the Cavs had that last year and it didn't do them any good. While I have faith that the Lakers will come out victorious, I won't drown myself in the rainstorm plagued L.A. River if we don't. Nor should LeBron and Co. start popping the Rosay after such a win.

Killakobe81
01-21-2010, 01:45 PM
Whatever it was, there is no need to spell complete doom if the Lakers drop this one. Makes no sense at all to discredit the defending champions. It will, however, play big in the role of HCA and all that, but the Cavs had that last year and it didn't do them any good. While I have faith that the Lakers will come out victorious, I won't drown myself in the rainstorm plagued L.A. River if we don't. Nor should LeBron and Co. start popping the Rosay after such a win.

Well said ...

duhoh
01-21-2010, 01:50 PM
http://blog.infinitemonkeysblog.com/files/images/obvious_troll.preview.jpg

are you new here? :lol

lil_penny
01-21-2010, 01:52 PM

I agree.

TheManFromAcme
01-21-2010, 02:13 PM

:tu

tlongII
01-21-2010, 03:45 PM
This is not the same Cavs team as last year. They've got Shaq now. Shaq's singular mission this year is to get his 5th ring before Kobe gets his. Believe that.

Bukefal
01-21-2010, 03:51 PM
Big and they will probably lose.

j.dizzle
01-21-2010, 04:02 PM
Im actually pissed that the regular season reggie miller, Mo Williams willl be sitting out..LA will just let a player like bobbie gibson go off for like 30 now damnit.

The Gemini Method
01-21-2010, 04:13 PM
This is not the same Cavs team as last year. They've got Shaq now. Shaq's singular mission this year is to get his 5th ring before Kobe gets his. Believe that.

Oooh a Shaq that isn't even the same guy who assisted in Dwyane Wade's title run is going to be the integral part on winning Cleveland's first championship? Let's see how that works out for the Cavs...I mean, he was SO integral to improving Phoenix, wasn't he? The key to the Cavs' chances winning are not reliant on Shaq's production, but merely the likes of Mo "I'm a regular season Killah" Williams, Delonte "El Mariachi with a side of Coleslaw" West, and Jamario/Anthony proving they are prime-time players. Also, how much can Mike Brown not fuck up when facing superior coaching. Now those are the reasons that would give Cleveland fan optimism, not a once powerful shell of a center named Shaq.

Andrew Bynum
01-21-2010, 04:14 PM

Scary stuff.

1977 was a long time ago :lol

j.dizzle
01-21-2010, 04:17 PM
LOL at tlong all over the Cavs nuts.

Ghazi
01-21-2010, 04:31 PM
I learned my lesson drinkin da Cavs kool aid last year.

I highly doubt they could beat the Lakers in a 7 game series... or a healthy Boston team... I think they beat Orlando this year though.

bostonguy
01-21-2010, 05:25 PM
I learned my lesson drinkin da Cavs kool aid last year.

I highly doubt they could beat the Lakers in a 7 game series... or a healthy Boston team... I think they beat Orlando this year though.

No the Cavs can beat LA in a 7 game series especially when they land Jamison. I am drinking all sorts of Cavs kool aid. This is their year to win the championship (and possibly even begin a dynasty) and I am now ok with that. I'd like to see their fans have glory. It has been tough for them, and I feel for them more than anything. I only hate Lebron because he isn't on my team. Him not shaking hands and what not isn't an issue for me anymore.

DazedAndConfused
01-21-2010, 05:33 PM
No the Cavs can beat LA in a 7 game series especially when they land Jamison. I am drinking all sorts of Cavs kool aid. This is their year to win the championship (and possibly even begin a dynasty) and I am now ok with that. I'd like to see their fans have glory. It has been tough for them, and I feel for them more than anything. I only hate Lebron because he isn't on my team. Him not shaking hands and what not isn't an issue for me anymore.

The Cavs are not taking down a fully healthy Laker squad that has HCA. I'm sorry I just don't see that happening.

I'm not even convinced they will take out Boston to be honest. And Orlando has always and will continue to give them problems. They are built to exploit the slow footed interior defenders that Cleveland has.

WalterSobchak
01-21-2010, 06:09 PM
The Cavs are not taking down a fully healthy Laker squad that has HCA. I'm sorry I just don't see that happening.

I'm not even convinced they will take out Boston to be honest. And Orlando has always and will continue to give them problems. They are built to exploit the slow footed interior defenders that Cleveland has.

HCA in the Finals is overrated. HCA is important in the Conference playoffs. But the Finals, not so much. With the games being played 2-3-2, I give the advantage to the team without HCA. All they gotta do is win one of the first two. Then they are good to go. 3 in a row at home.

The Gemini Method
01-21-2010, 06:58 PM
The Lakers only have 6 important games this year. The Spurs series, and Boston series. No one else matters.

You forgot the Charlotte Bobcats...we owe them payback, son.

Baseline
01-21-2010, 07:05 PM
They'll never admit it, but this is a huge game for the Lakers. I'm pretty sure Cleveland would have beaten them last year if they had played in the Finals. And I know the Celtics would have.

LA was unbelievably fortunate last year that Ginobili was hurt, that Garnett was hurt, and that Cleveland got upset by Orlando. Everybody knows that Cleveland matches up better with LA than Orlando does.

Bottom line, the Lakers were healthy last year, and very few other teams were.

The Gemini Method
01-21-2010, 07:14 PM
They'll never admit it, but this is a huge game for the Lakers. I'm pretty sure Cleveland would have beaten them last year if they had played in the Finals. And I know the Celtics would have.

LA was unbelievably fortunate last year that Ginobili was hurt, that Garnett was hurt, and that Cleveland got upset by Orlando. Everybody knows that Cleveland matches up better with LA than Orlando does.

Yeah, 65-17 and going 4-0 against the Cavs and Celtics when both teams were mostly intact denotes that the Lakers were fortunate. There is no indication either way to say any of those teams would've beaten the Lakers. That's all speculative. You can say that about any year a team wins the championship. Stop with this nonsense because it's all in the past. You lose this argument because the Lakers were not fully healthy and even if Bynum isn't the star of the team, he was not at all 100% in the playoffs and anyone could notice that.

Andrew Bynum
01-21-2010, 07:18 PM
:lmao at this faggot spurfan saying the Cavs would have beaten LA in the finals last year. LA was a horrible match up for the Cavs last year.

djohn2oo8
01-21-2010, 07:18 PM
whats the over/under on tlong not being seen for weeks if the lakers win?

Gouken
01-21-2010, 07:48 PM

Bullshit.

Gouken
01-21-2010, 07:53 PM
Cavs’ Mo Williams out 1 month with shoulder injury

CLEVELAND (AP)—Cavaliers starting point guard Mo Williams (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/3750/;_ylt=AgD0qoIvGxgCMa3hyfAmKHOLvLYF)(notes) (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/3750/news;_ylt=Aq3I3dZEU5X_RoUEKvXWbpOLvLYF) will miss at least one month with a sprained left shoulder, a major blow to the Eastern Conference’s top team.

An MRI revealed the sprain and the Cavs said that Williams, who has played in 124 of a possible 125 games since joining Cleveland before last season, is projected to be out for the “next four to six weeks”—a timetable that could keep him out until the first week in March.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AkMs0c7e3rGhZMyTirrxBn28vLYF?slug=ap-cavaliers-williamsinjury&prov=ap&type=lgns

tlongII
01-21-2010, 10:45 PM
Oooh a Shaq that isn't even the same guy who assisted in Dwyane Wade's title run is going to be the integral part on winning Cleveland's first championship? Let's see how that works out for the Cavs...I mean, he was SO integral to improving Phoenix, wasn't he? The key to the Cavs' chances winning are not reliant on Shaq's production, but merely the likes of Mo "I'm a regular season Killah" Williams, Delonte "El Mariachi with a side of Coleslaw" West, and Jamario/Anthony proving they are prime-time players. Also, how much can Mike Brown not fuck up when facing superior coaching. Now those are the reasons that would give Cleveland fan optimism, not a once powerful shell of a center named Shaq.

The game clearly demonstrated Shaq's value to the Cavs. The Lakers aren't able to dominate the paint against Cleveland. They have no advantage now. They're done.

tlongII
01-21-2010, 10:47 PM
The Lakers only have 6 important games this year. The Spurs series, and Boston series. No one else matters.

:lmao

Banzai
01-21-2010, 10:49 PM
I love reading stupid threads.

FkLA
01-21-2010, 11:29 PM
At what point will people call out the Lakers inability to beat top teams? That record is fools gold, aided by a home-heavy schedule and wins against bottom dwellers and pretenders.

Nov 13 @ DEN
LOST 79-105

Dec 25 vs CLE
LOST 87-102

Jan 8 @ POR
LOST 98-107

Jan 12 @ SAS
LOST 85-105

Jan 12 @ Cle
LOST 97-93

21_Blessings
01-22-2010, 12:18 AM
At what point will people call out the Lakers inability to beat top teams?

When the Lakers fail to beat a top team in a 7 game series.

Tell us more about December/January championships.

namlook
01-22-2010, 12:25 AM
At what point will people call out the Lakers inability to beat top teams? That record is fools gold, aided by a home-heavy schedule and wins against bottom dwellers and pretenders.

Nov 13 @ DEN
LOST 79-105

Dec 25 vs CLE
LOST 87-102

Jan 8 @ POR
LOST 98-107

Jan 12 @ SAS
LOST 85-105

Jan 12 @ Cle
LOST 97-93

Since when are the Spurs a top team? The Spurs are 3-11 against Western Conference playoff teams.

Danny.Zhu
01-22-2010, 12:30 AM
I didn't expect Cavs owns Lakers this much.

Wow.