PDA

View Full Version : At the Midway Point What Kind of Record Do You Expect For the Spurs?

NBA Fanatic
01-21-2010, 11:44 AM
The Spurs have reached the midway point of the season. After 41 games they have a 25-16 record which projects to 50 wins. Here are some preseason predictions:

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/2127737/san_antonio_spurs_20092010_gamebygame_pg6.html?cat =14 Predicted 60-22

http://projectspurs.com/2009-articles/october/spurs-2009-2010-nba-blog-preview.html Predicted 60-22

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/9971/truehoop-network-2009-2010-preview-the-teams Predicted 55-27

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?page=OffseasonPredictions09-WestStandings Predicted 54-28

Given what you know now and what you expect for the rest of the season; what record do you expect the Spurs to end the season with?

I expect them to end the season with 55 wins which will give them home-court advantage in the first round.

ElNono
01-21-2010, 12:22 PM
The schedule gets a lot harder from here on out. We had a home heavy schedule in the first half of the season. It's truly sad, but this team might fail to reach 50+ wins this season -breaking a league best streak- unless they substantially improve their defense.

Allanon
01-21-2010, 12:24 PM
I'm not going to guess at the outcome because I'll look like a hater.

But I just counted op the remaining games for a few teams recently and here's a quick synopsis of the Spurs schedule:

~30 games of the 41 are against teams in the Playoffs or looking to make the Playoffs
17 home games, 14 of them are against Playoff teams/Fringe Playoff teams
24 road games, 16 against Playoff/Fringe Playoff teams
The remaining schedule is probably the most difficult of the Western Playoff teams along with the Nuggz.

Fringe Playoff teams are like the Grizzlies/Hornets/Rockets who are within 1 or 2 games from making it.

Allanon
01-21-2010, 12:33 PM
Here are my other numbers. I did this a few days ago so they might be off 1 or 2 games.

Road games remaining:

Suns 18
Rockets 18
Mavs 20
Hornets 20
Thunda 21
Grizz 21
Blazers 22
Nugs 22
Jazz 22
Clippers 23
Spurs 24
Lakers 26

Easiest remaining schedule according to strength of opponent (not accounting for road games). Similar to a look vs .500 teams:

1. Rockets (easiest)
2. Mavs
3. Jazz
4. Suns
5. Thunda
6. Lakers
7. Clippers
8. Grizzlies
9. Blazers
10. Hornets
11. Spurs
12. Nuggets (hardest)

Libri
01-21-2010, 12:38 PM
Also, there are eight back to backs left in the season.

temujin
01-21-2010, 03:08 PM
This team will have problems hitting 50.

Unless they trade Jefferson, of course.

Sisk
01-21-2010, 03:29 PM
This team will have problems hitting 50.

Unless they trade Jefferson, of course.

and get what, exactly?....

temujin
01-21-2010, 04:49 PM
and get what, exactly?....

One of the best defensive performace was against NO.
Guess who wasn't playing?
Just dump him and save money.

mexicanjunior
01-21-2010, 05:00 PM
45-50 wins...maybe squeak into a 6-8 seed...I would honestly prefer the lottery balls...

alchemist
01-21-2010, 05:14 PM
These guys should have about 8 fewer losses with all those blown leads against decent teams. The Spurs are underachieving at this point, with a roster that expensive they can no longer just go 'under the radar'.

Mr.Robinson
01-21-2010, 05:22 PM
I'm not going to guess at the outcome because I'll look like a hater.

But I just counted op the remaining games for a few teams recently and here's a quick synopsis of the Spurs schedule:

~30 games of the 41 are against teams in the Playoffs or looking to make the Playoffs
17 home games, 14 of them are against Playoff teams/Fringe Playoff teams
24 road games, 16 against Playoff/Fringe Playoff teams
The remaining schedule is probably the most difficult of the Western Playoff teams along with the Nuggz.

Fringe Playoff teams are like the Grizzlies/Hornets/Rockets who are within 1 or 2 games from making it.

The NBA did everything in their power to get rid of The Spurs.

Sisk
01-21-2010, 06:06 PM

saving us money isn't going to win us championships

we can't just "dump him"
there's a financial part to this - we'd have to get someone at least worth SOMETHING in order to trade him

unfortunately, we'd most likely lose our ass financially

if it was that easy to trade or "dump" him.. they would've done it

DesignatedT
01-21-2010, 06:35 PM

new orleans sucks.

Killakobe81
01-21-2010, 06:52 PM
I think the Spurs still get 55 even with the harder schedule ...they will beat some teams they shouldn't
win against the scrubs at home and away ....
Tim and Manu have too much pride and Pop is to tough for it NOT be a 55 win team and a top 4 seed ...

Trimble87
01-21-2010, 06:56 PM
The NBA did everything in their power to get rid of The Spurs.

Yeah, giving us the easiest schedule in the league for the first half of the season, those jackasses.

How are our "all-star calibre" new players supposed to get comfortable when they play at home all the time against scrubs?! WE DIDNT STAND A CHANCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

/sarcasm

We'll get between 52 and 55 wins and we will be among the top 4 teams in the west. The teams terrible incosistency and lack of effort have been depressing to this point. In particular the way we completely shut down when we have the lead and the pathetic displays we've put up in the 3rd quarter. BUT we do have the tools to be a great team. Pop needs to light a fire and Duncan/Manu need to stay healthy. If those two things happen we will be in it til the end.

temujin
01-21-2010, 07:06 PM
saving us money isn't going to win us championships

we can't just "dump him"
there's a financial part to this - we'd have to get someone at least worth SOMETHING in order to trade him

unfortunately, we'd most likely lose our ass financially

if it was that easy to trade or "dump" him.. they would've done it

I am pretty sure they still think he is worth somthing.

He isn't.
Kirilenko killed him.
Westbrook killed him on th last shot in regulation and then almost did it in the OT. He was just watching.
The whole Chalotte team scored over him.
A bunch of no names in memphis were having fun.

He walks into the looker room with the second highest salary on the squad.

Absurd.

Very absurd.

temujin
01-21-2010, 07:08 PM
I think the Spurs still get 55 even with the harder schedule ...they will beat some teams they shouldn't
win against the scrubs at home and away ....
Tim and Manu have too much pride and Pop is to tough for it NOT be a 55 win team and a top 4 seed ...

Duncan and Manu are not the only guys getting old........

xellos88330
01-21-2010, 07:32 PM
Halfway I expected 30-11 or somewhere in that area.

Season I am still sticking by my 58-24.

DPG21920
01-21-2010, 07:57 PM
They'll win 45-48 games.

You'd better hope so. If not you lose. They are on pace for 50 and they have not played well.

TD 21
01-21-2010, 08:03 PM
Good. I like the fact that this team has a tough schedule in the second half. No more looking for the easy way out. They had that and they pissed it away in the first half. I want this team to be thrown into the fire, so to speak and see how they respond to playing either elite or at the very least credible competition almost every single game and many of those on the road. I'd say it's time to find out what this team is made of, but unfortunately, we might have already been given an answer to that. Nonetheless, there is half a season to go and I'm not concerned or impressed by any surrounding team in the West, so it is still possible that this team goes for, say 52 wins and a top 3 seed.

DPG21920
01-21-2010, 08:25 PM
I think they played up to their potential. Duncan is having a career year. The role players are stepping up, except Dick. Manu has lost two steps, but that was expected. They had an easy schedule much like the Lakers. The heat will be turned up now.

What about TP? What about Dice's poor play?

Chieflion
01-21-2010, 08:51 PM
I expected 29-12 with this cupcake schedule. I say the Spurs underachieved.

Flux451
01-21-2010, 09:03 PM
Damn, this next half will be tough. The true tests are just around the corner. Road games and a surplus of <500 teams.

The way they are playing now. 47 wins this season

*sniff* nah man I was just cutting onions.

dbestpro
01-21-2010, 11:24 PM
The record is meaningless. Its all about how the game is being played. For most Spur fans its easy to see that we are not improving in anything. Still playing too far off the ball, too many turn overs, too much indecision, no passing, all with nothing different from the coaches. We could win 60 games and will not get anywhere unless we start to play aggressive basketball. Just too many players are taking too many plays off on the court and the trend has no end in sight.

Sean Cagney
01-21-2010, 11:26 PM
I expected 29-12 with this cupcake schedule. I say the Spurs underachieved.

Ditto! They are on pace for 50, but they might not make it there the way they are playing with the tough schedule coming up.

I predict 54 wins, maybe more like 51 but 54 I thought from the beginning so I will stay there.

Sean Cagney
01-21-2010, 11:28 PM
I think they played up to their potential. Duncan is having a career year. The role players are stepping up, except Dick. Manu has lost two steps, but that was expected. They had an easy schedule much like the Lakers. The heat will be turned up now.

True the schedule was easier till lately, but they ended up playing 5 games or so in 7 days or less if you add it up, two back to backs after a night off and then one night off and a game! Thats not easy for any team, most would get tired.

sananspursfan21
01-21-2010, 11:29 PM
56-26. i believe the rodeo trip will work wonders. could be wrong, but it's my prediction. the rodeo trip is a magical time for the spurs (and yes, i said magical)

SnakeBoy
01-22-2010, 02:10 AM
Just too many players are taking too many plays off on the court and the trend has no end in sight.

They aren't a team of young rookies so it's not like they are going to gradually improve game to game. Things will either click and they'll go on a great winning streak or they won't, in which case they are screwed for this season.

ezau
01-22-2010, 02:27 AM
They'll win 45-48 games.

I'm agreeing with you. Sad to say but the loss against the Jazz was realy frustrating. I'm beginning to think that we are no longer contenders, I don't know

Obstructed_View
01-22-2010, 04:38 AM
If the Spurs continue to play the way they have this season they won't make the playoffs. What did Pop say should happen to a coach who can't win with this lineup?

mountainballer
01-22-2010, 05:51 AM
let's get realistic. considering the teams current shape and the upcoming schedule, a 50 win season would be a big success and IMO absolutely the best we can hope for. we can no longer bet on the trend that they get better in the 2nd half of the RS.
45 are quite possible and we would be happy to sneak into the PO with such a record. (will likely not be enough).
if they can do a trade, that significantly improves this team, this might look a bit different, but even with a sensational trade Spurs won't finish much better than 50.

01-22-2010, 05:53 AM
either 55 wins or sub 50. the rodeo road trip will either ignite the spurs or put them out of their misery.

hsxvvd
01-22-2010, 06:01 AM
66-16

Believe :lobt: