PDA

View Full Version : Shaq and Duncan: Contrast in Style, but Parallel in Legacy

duncan228
01-21-2010, 04:35 PM
http://d.yimg.com/a/p/sp/tsn/47/fullj.6da2db2ba26e6d3d97a3bcc255356e03/tsn-shaqandduncancontras0.jpg?x=425&y=323&xc=1&yc=1&wc=425&hc=323&q=100&sig=sbANVVqCidx7gGC75FoCVw--

Shaq and Duncan: Contrast in Style, but Parallel in Legacy (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=tsn-shaqandduncancontras&prov=tsn&type=lgns)
SportingNews

This week is a big one for fans of NBA history. On Tuesday, Shaquille O’Neal became just the fifth player to reach 28,000 points for his career, and Tim Duncan now sits one point away from becoming the 34th person to score 20,000 points. Like most career milestones, they have come with little fanfare, just a short note in game recaps and a hearty congratulations for Shaq and TD.

But when you take a look back at these players’ careers and their place in league history, you realize just how much they have given us.

No two players so thoroughly dominated the first half of the last decade. Shaq turned the Lakers into a dominant force, teaming with Kobe Bryant and Co. to create a buffed-up, yet still graceful version of the Triangle. Then, when he went on to the Heat, he proved he had enough left to lift Dwyane Wade to superstardom and bring Miami its first NBA championship. At his best, Shaq was the irresistible force and the immovable object in one body.

Duncan, on the other hand, is the steady hand, a fount of consistent production. The most amazing thing about his considerable success has always been how inconspicuous it is; he piles up the numbers and championships without your realizing it until it’s over. When he reaches milestones like this one, you feel a combination of "he didn’t have that yet?" and "wow, he already has 20,000 points!"

Despite their dual dominance, no two big men could be more different. For one thing, their personalities sit at opposite poles. Shaq is a loudmouth joker and constant publicity hound, someone who came into the league as a movie star and rapper without holding much talent in either art form. But his force of personality convinced you it didn’t matter; he can get away with embarrassing himself because he possesses no shame and will always return for more. In the face of such awesome power, it’s best to let Shaq have his way. At his basketball peak, his game worked in the same way, built as it was on overwhelming the opposition until they had to relent.

Yet Duncan stays in the background, content to let his production speak for itself. At times, this means we’ve had to remind ourselves he exists—think back to all the times you’ve heard people say, "we’re looking at the best power forward of all-time and no one appreciates it.” But more often than not, Duncan announces his presence just by showing up and beating the pants off everyone who comes across him. A guard looks to have an open lay-in … and there’s Duncan with the block. A possession looks dead in the water … and there’s Duncan with the jumper as the shot clock expires. The Spurs need a big board … and there’s Duncan on the glass. The Spurs’ championships have often felt the same—they seem to win because other, more talented teams couldn’t put it all together, but in reality they’ve just proven themselves more capable of weathering the storm. In all aspects of Duncan’s game and personality, you know he will persist.

That’s why, as he nears the twilight of his career, 20,000 points seems like just the beginning. Throughout his time with the Spurs, Duncan has taken everything in stride, whether it be the retirement of running mate and mentor David Robinson, the arrival of youngsters Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili, or smaller changes that have still changed the fundamental makeup of the Spurs. As Duncan grows older, it’s easy to imagine him being productive into his 40s, not just because his game relies on skill more than athleticism, but because he’s proven himself remarkably able to deal with change. And even if his game deteriorates, the Big Fundamental carries himself with such dignity that he could stick around as a backup big man for several years without embarrassing himself.

In stark contrast, Shaq is done. The explosion that made him the most terrifying player in the league is gone, and while he’s still capable of putting up a solid line, he has lost the aura. Shaq has not handled this well, resorting to the same dumb nicknames and jokes for attention in what appears to be a weak stab at continued relevance. Whereas it’s hard to imagine Duncan playing for any team but the Spurs, it’s not out of the realm of possibility that Shaq will hop from team to team for as long as he can, hoping that he can stay in the limelight.

So how do we consider these two legends now that they are no longer the top dogs of the NBA? In the common narrative, Shaq and Duncan are seen as stewards of the league between the reigns of Jordan and LeBron, dominating proceedings even as they rarely appeared to be the kinds of all-time greats we’ll speak about in hushed tones. In part, that’s because each seems to have a fatal flaw: Shaq’s potential dynasties have been submarined by personality clashes, giving the impression that there was always something toxic present we just hadn’t noticed; and Duncan has always seemed too boring to capture the public imagination.

But look at those stats and championships again. O’Neal and Duncan stand amongst the all-time greats; in the history of the league, only George Mikan, Bill Russell, Wilt Chamberlain, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Moses Malone, and Hakeem Olajuwon can match their accomplishments among centers. That’s serious company, and with big men taking on smaller roles on championship teams, it may be a long time before we see the likes of these two again. Appreciate them now, because you don’t want to seem like a doofus when your grandchildren see their names in the record books and ask questions to which you don’t have the answers.

I. Hustle
01-21-2010, 05:20 PM
I say this tongue in cheek but ShaqshouldplayhislastyearinSanAntoniowithTim

StoneBuddha
01-21-2010, 06:34 PM
Cliff notes on the article. Both produce numbers and championships but Duncan carries himself in a classy, dignified manner while Shaq is a clown and weenie. :toast

Killakobe81
01-21-2010, 06:56 PM
I'm sorry but Shaq is not in the same class as Duncan.
The Shaq of 2000 (his MVP year) I would put up against Kareem, Hakeem, Duncan whomever ...and argue he was the greatest I have ever seen.
All of the other years I take Kareem, Hakeem and Duncan ....

SenorSpur
01-21-2010, 08:04 PM
I say this tongue in cheek but ShaqshouldplayhislastyearinSanAntoniowithTim

Uh no!

Phenomanul
01-22-2010, 03:11 AM
I'm sorry but Shaq is not in the same class as Duncan.
The Shaq of 2000 (his MVP year) I would put up against Kareem, Hakeem, Duncan whomever ...and argue he was the greatest I have ever seen.
All of the other years I take Kareem, Hakeem and Duncan ....

You mean the year they needed help from the zebras to get past Portland?

JWest596
01-22-2010, 04:27 AM
Shaq and Duncan are seen as stewards of the league between the reigns of Jordan and LeBron

Duncan swept James in the Finals and will beat him in June.