Bruno
01-22-2010, 02:16 PM
He will sign with Panathinaikos.

bobby4germany
Hailslip sucks anyways!

timvp
If true, makes sense. He obviously wasn't an NBA player. Had the size and the build but the skill level just wasn't there. Add in the fact that Matt Bonner is back and Ian Mahinmi passed him in the rotation and Haislip was never going to play a meaningful minute again.

I'm guessing Haislip offered to give back some money so he could go sign a bigger contract with that Greek team ... and the Spurs jumped at the opportunity.

Blackjack
01-22-2010, 02:17 PM
Precursor to a move or acquisition of some type?

By the way, where is this being reported?

DPG21920
01-22-2010, 02:19 PM
That is great. Save the Spur some money and gives the guy a chance to play.

timvp

Doubtful. Seems to be tied to that Greek team wanting him and not the Spurs wanting to make room.

2Cleva
Spurs waive Marcus Haislip
Posted by Inside Hoops

The San Antonio Spurs today announced that they have waived forward Marcus Haislip to allow him to pursue opportunities outside of the NBA.

The 6-10, 230-lb Haislip appeared in 10 games for San Antonio and averaged 2.5 points and 1.0 rebounds in 4.4 minutes.

The Spurs roster stands at 14.

http://www.insidehoops.com/blog/?p=5304

Whisky Dog
01-22-2010, 02:20 PM
At least he proved to himself that he took the shot but just wasn't good enough for NBA. No shame, kid can go make buku money in Europe and live better than us still.

spursdotcom
01-22-2010, 02:20 PM
http://www.nba.com/spurs/news/100122_haislip.html

Bruno
01-22-2010, 02:21 PM

No.

Panathinakos was looking for a PF to play the Euroleague top16 because they had injuries at the PF spot. The deadline to sign this player is next Tuesday.
Haislip will clear NBA waivers this Tuesday just before the Euroleague deadline.

timvp
01-22-2010, 02:21 PM
Wonder how much money the Spurs saved. It would have been nice if that Greek team had to pay a buyout, but that's apparently a one-way street.

HarlemHeat37
01-22-2010, 02:23 PM
Probably won't mean much, but it does leave the possibility open for an open roster spot..does this potentially save the Spurs any money? I would imagine it's nothing of importance..

Haislip definitely isn't an NBA guy though, you could see that when he was overwhelmed in preseason..I wish him well though, I'm sure he'll continue to have success in Europe..

Speaking of Europe, has Marcus Williams tried there yet? I hope he isn't still trying to make the NBA..

Bruno
01-22-2010, 02:25 PM
If Hailsip has accepted to forfeit the rest of his salary, Spurs have saved $785,044.

Bruno
01-22-2010, 02:25 PM
Speaking of Europe, has Marcus Williams tried there yet? I hope he isn't still trying to make the NBA..

He is playing in China for $200K.

Blackjack
01-22-2010, 02:26 PM
No.

Panathinakos was looking for a PF to play the Euroleague top16 because they had injuries at the PF spot. The deadline to sign this player is next Tuesday.
Haislip will clear NBA waivers this Tuesday just before the Euroleague deadline.

Had you heard rumblings or did it just make sense once you heard the news?

Kill_Bill_Pana
01-22-2010, 02:27 PM
Tim and Kori please un ban me now?

Remember i told you this head of time. I told you from my inside source same as Bourousis story proved true.

Please now. After Bourousis story was true you never took my ban off. Now I again tell you this about Haislip.

I have PROVEN my truth and my inside sources.

Kill_Bill_Pana
01-22-2010, 02:30 PM
Tim remember I told you 1.5 million euros. Haislip will be backup PF in PAO for next month due to their injuries.

I told you this BEFORE press even knew about it.

Just like everything I said about Bourousis - Popvich confirmed it was true. You banned me for arguing about it. You made fun of me. Called me a liar. You never took the ban off after you found I told the truth.

Again now I prove my truth and source to you about haislip.

Please be fair and let me back now that you know all along I was always telling truth in the boards.

Bruno
01-22-2010, 02:31 PM
Had you heard rumblings or did it just make sense once you heard the news?

There have been articles today saying that Panathinaikos was interested in Haislip.

Blackjack
01-22-2010, 02:33 PM
It makes sense that the Spurs would let him go to pursue a better opportunity while also saving a little cash. But it also gives them little roster flexibility to take a flier on some kind of D-League prospect or maybe even bring aboard a guy like Dorrell Wright without having to give up any assets.

Good luck, 'Slip.

Thanks, Bruno.

Kill_Bill_Pana
01-22-2010, 02:35 PM
Also, Tim I said over and over in this forum Haislip was a bad player and sucked and was like 20th best PF in Euroleague MAYBE to be kind and generous.

Bruno and Mountainballer lied lied lied to the forum that he was good. They lied lied lied telling all the Americans I was lying and they told truth and how good he would be and how great he would help Spurs.

I did everything to tell the truth and say he sucked and was garbage. You did not believe me - none of the fans here did.

You banned me also for arguing about this and calling Bruno and mountainballer liars.

I KNOW they are liars and never watch euroleague. Once again I was proven right. You KNOW now once again I told the truth and they were lying.

It was them all along that were lying and I was telling the truth. Please take my ban off now that you know that all along I was always being honest here and being picked on unfairly.

timvp
01-22-2010, 02:36 PM
Tim remember I told you 1.5 million euros. Haislip will be backup PF in PAO for next month due to their injuries.

I told you this BEFORE press even knew about it.

Link?

hater
01-22-2010, 02:37 PM
I thought he was the new Rasheed?

I thought Bynum was the next Kareem?

Blackjack
01-22-2010, 02:38 PM
K_B_P.:lol

You're going to call in, right?

urunobili
01-22-2010, 02:40 PM
Oh well... All the best for Marcus! :)

Bruno
01-22-2010, 02:41 PM
But it also gives them little roster flexibility to take a flier on some kind of D-League prospect or maybe even bring aboard a guy like Dorrell Wright without having to give up any assets.

Spurs can't get Dorrell Wright without trading a player like Finley.

Now, I agree Spurs get some flexibility. Spurs could try some D-League players with 10 days contract, sign a vet PG (Antonio Daniels) or a project player like Rashad McCants.

IMO, they will keep the roster spot open to save money and wait until the deadline to see if an interesting vet will be available.

mountainballer
01-22-2010, 02:43 PM
link?

nooooooooooooooooooooooo............ It is back !!!

Blackjack
01-22-2010, 02:49 PM
Hollinger:

The Heat can offer anyone the $951,066 he'll have left on his contract on trade-deadline day to take Wright off their hands, likely adding a sweetener for the trouble (for instance, either more cash or one of the two second-round picks they got from the Hornets on draft day last year).

Help me out Bruno, the way I've been made to understand it, the Spurs would only need a roster spot and a willingness to take on the salary..

Bruno
01-22-2010, 02:53 PM
Help me out Bruno, the way I've been made to understand it, the Spurs would only need a roster spot and a willingness to take on the salary..

Spurs are over the cap, they need a trade exception big enough to take Wright salary ($2.9M). Spurs don't have that trade exception.

Blackjack
01-22-2010, 02:56 PM
Thanks, that's what I thought to start but was told something different (might have just misunderstood).

Stump
01-22-2010, 02:59 PM
If the Spurs were able to save some money, then this is a good deal all around.

Good luck Haislip.

Bruno
01-22-2010, 03:00 PM
And it's nice for Spurs to have a team in Greece willing to pay salaries of Spurs' garbage (Haislip and Spatula).

DPG21920
01-22-2010, 03:00 PM
Spurs cannot take another player on via trade without giving another player up because they are over the cap. The only way they could get Wright without a trade is if he is waived.

DPG21920
01-22-2010, 03:01 PM
And it's nice for Spurs to have a team in Greece willing to pay salaries of Spurs' garbage (Haislip and Spatula).

Most definitely, although I think Span could have helped if his head was right. But this Haislip thing is a very nice bailout on a move that did not workout.

Blackjack
01-22-2010, 03:02 PM
lol 'Spatula'.

I. Hustle
01-22-2010, 03:02 PM
Is there any way to make a trade and get back under the cap?

Bruno
01-22-2010, 03:05 PM
lol 'Spatula'.

Yep, whottt called him "Vaginis Spatula". Great name.

DPG21920
01-22-2010, 03:07 PM

Highly unlikely if you are talking about this year. I would say impossible. For next year, yes if they trade RJ and get an expiring back.

EricB
01-22-2010, 03:07 PM

Unless u want to tank the season and Gut the team no..

I. Hustle
01-22-2010, 03:09 PM
LOL tank the season. Most people think we already have.

Kill_Bill_Pana
01-22-2010, 03:10 PM
Link?

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=144757&page=2

All of info is in my posts there on that page.

EricB
01-22-2010, 03:11 PM
LOL tank the season. Most people think we already have.

The same people clammoring for Marcus haislip to get minutes?

Kill_Bill_Pana
01-22-2010, 03:13 PM
K_B_P.:lol

You're going to call in, right?

yes if show is on at good time.

will_spurs
01-22-2010, 03:22 PM
Spurs cannot take another player on via trade without giving another player up because they are over the cap. The only way they could get Wright without a trade is if he is waived.

What about if they trade one player for two -- could that be done with a full roster, or is it now a new option?

Das Texan
01-22-2010, 03:24 PM
I think there are too many people reading way too much into this.

Haislip was never going to play for the Spurs. The Spurs had an opportunity to cut him and his salary, its a no brainer.

That's probably all it is and not a precursor for anything else.

Kill_Bill_Pana
01-22-2010, 03:26 PM
nooooooooooooooooooooooo............ It is back !!!

You were wrong about Haislip and I was right. The forum never should have trusted you as a source of European basketball.

DPG21920
01-22-2010, 03:27 PM
What about if they trade one player for two -- could that be done with a full roster, or is it now a new option?

They can certainly trade one player for two. That is what the extra roster spot opens up. That could not be done before unless they waived someone before the trade. Now they can just do a 2 for 1 trade.

Kill_Bill_Pana
01-22-2010, 03:29 PM
I think there are too many people reading way too much into this.

Haislip was never going to play for the Spurs. The Spurs had an opportunity to cut him and his salary, its a no brainer.

That's probably all it is and not a precursor for anything else.

It has nothing to do with Spurs moves. Panathinaikos has injuries at PF spot so they hired Haislip for the backup PF position for next month to cover for the injuries.

They offer money to Spurs and they take it and Haislip can get maybe 15 minutes for time being in PAO. Nothing more to this than that.

Phenomanul
01-22-2010, 03:29 PM
If Hailsip has accepted to forfeit the rest of his salary, Spurs have saved $785,044.

Is that before lux-tax implications? Meaning is it twice this amount?

Bruno
01-22-2010, 03:33 PM
Spurs cannot take another player on via trade without giving another player up because they are over the cap.

Spurs could take a player if he is on a minimum contract. Teams don't need a trade exception or to be under the cap to take these players.

Bruno
01-22-2010, 03:33 PM
Is that before lux-tax implications? Meaning is it twice this amount?

It's the salary and the luxury tax combined.

DPG21920
01-22-2010, 03:36 PM
Spurs could take a player if he is on a minimum contract. Teams don't need a trade exception or to be under the cap to take these players.

Yes, but that would be the same as taking a d-league player or picking up someone from waivers.

If it is someone that is already on a team that has a contract that is above the minimum, the Spurs could not get them unless they traded a player.

Bruno
01-22-2010, 03:39 PM
Yes, but that would be the same as taking a d-league player or picking up someone from waivers.

No, I don't see why it would be the same.

elbamba
01-22-2010, 03:49 PM
I do not see why the Spurs would even entertain bringing in another player to ride the bench. Isn't that what Mahimi is doing and Harriston was doing? Why take on more penalty?

DPG21920
01-22-2010, 04:02 PM
No, I don't see why it would be the same.

Because if they are coming from the D-L aren't they getting minimum contracts? The Spurs can call up someone from the D-L now that they have a roster spot, and they would likely get a 10-day contract or pro-rated minimum.

If they claim someone from waivers or get a bought out player, it would likely be on a minimum contract.

So being able to trade for a player on a minimum contract without giving up a player as if they were under the cap is the same thing in my eyes, which is why they are allowed to do it.

ChumpDumper
01-22-2010, 04:09 PM
It makes sense that the Spurs would let him go to pursue a better opportunity while also saving a little cash. But it also gives them little roster flexibility to take a flier on some kind of D-League prospect or maybe even bring aboard a guy like Dorrell Wright without having to give up any assets.I don't know of anyone in the D-League who would be of immediate help -- maybe tweener forwards like Mike Harris, Trey Gilder or Rob Kurz who might fill a Haislipish role.

There are a few good point guards if they want to go that direction. I'm not overly impressed with Curtis Jerrells' defense this season. There are a couple of guys I would call up before him -- and Antonio Daniels is just sitting around right?

There are no swingmen who play better than Hairston. There is only a need for one if Finley is really done. Also there are no big men better than Ian at this point either -- or really much better than Dwayne Jones for that matter. A couple of them like Greg Stiemsma have some potential as shot blockers, but they are quite a ways off from contributing to a team like the Spurs.

ChumpDumper
01-22-2010, 04:13 PM
I do not see why the Spurs would even entertain bringing in another player to ride the bench. Isn't that what Mahimi is doing and Harriston was doing? Why take on more penalty?Right. Such a player would have to be able to help immediately or have a Hairston-like level of potential.

Bruno
01-22-2010, 04:13 PM
Because if they are coming from the D-L aren't they getting minimum contracts? The Spurs can call up someone from the D-L now that they have a roster spot, and they would likely get a 10-day contract or pro-rated minimum.

If they claim someone from waivers or get a bought out player, it would likely be on a minimum contract.

So being able to trade for a player on a minimum contract without giving up a player as if they were under the cap is the same thing in my eyes, which is why they are allowed to do it.

Well, what you say makes no sense. It simply isn't at all the same thing.

Kill_Bill_Pana
01-22-2010, 04:14 PM
http://www.euroleague.net/news/i/65616/180

Both of PAO backup big men are injured. Backup Batiste and backup Tsartsaris and they will miss top 16 games.

This is why Haislip will be signed to try to backup Antonis Fotsis. There is nothing to this to do with Spurs future roster moves.

Kill_Bill_Pana
01-22-2010, 04:15 PM
I don't know of anyone in the D-League who would be of immediate help -- maybe tweener forwards like Mike Harris, Trey Gilder or Rob Kurz who might fill a Haislipish role.

There are a few good point guards if they want to go that direction. I'm not overly impressed with Curtis Jerrells' defense this season. There are a couple of guys I would call up before him -- and Antonio Daniels is just sitting around right?

There are no swingmen who play better than Hairston. There is only a need for one if Finley is really done. Also there are no big men better than Ian at this point either -- or really much better than Dwayne Jones for that matter. A couple of them like Greg Stiemsma have some potential as shot blockers, but they are quite a ways off from contributing to a team like the Spurs.

Kurz plays in the Greek League with Aris.

DPG21920
01-22-2010, 04:17 PM
Can you please clarify? Are the types of contracts the Spurs would be giving out to D-L players and waiver players not the same as the ones they can trade for without giving up a player?

hater
01-22-2010, 04:17 PM
Spurs making a move on the trade block. Book it.

Bruno
01-22-2010, 04:25 PM
Can you please clarify? Are the types of contracts the Spurs would be giving out to D-L players and waiver players not the same as the ones they can trade for without giving up a player?

No, for example Spurs could sign players with the LLE.

And it's not because they have the same contract than it's the same thing. It would be like saying Mike D'Antoni is the same thing as a cat because they have both staches.

duncan228
01-22-2010, 04:28 PM
Spurs waive Haislip (http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/courtside/)
By Jeff McDonald

The Marcus Haislip era with the Spurs has come to a close. The team waived Haislip Friday, saying in a release it wanted to allow him to focus on opportunities outside of the NBA (most likely read: Europe).

A former first-round draft choice of the Milwaukee Bucks, Haislip had hoped to use the Spurs to make his triumphant return to the NBA after four seasons abroad. It didn't quite work out.

Haislip appeared in just 10 games with the Spurs, and was inactive most nights. The 6-foot-10 forward averaged 2.5 points.

Haislip's 2009-2010 contract was guaranteed, meaning the Spurs must eat the remainder of his $855,189 salary, as well as a portion of the $915,852 he is owed next season, in order to waive him.

By doing so, the Spurs bring their roster down to 14, giving them the flexibility to sign another free agent going forward.

Obstructed_View
01-22-2010, 04:29 PM
Spurs making a move on the trade block. Book it.

Yes, because the problem the Spurs have is lack of talent. If they add another player, who goes to the bench? Doubtful that the rotation is going to open up to share minutes.

lefty
01-22-2010, 04:32 PM
I doubt he wants to go back to Europe. He'd rather make the minimum in the NBA than make more money in Europe -- as he admitted to early in training camp.

I'm not sure he lasts the entire season. Right now, he makes the most sense as the player to waive if the Spurs need a roster spot. Hairston is more valuable if only for his D-League availability. Mahinmi has a lot more promise.

Haislip entered the season as competition for Bonner for the Stretch 4 position. It can't be a good sign that Bonner has been out and Haislip hasn't even sniffed a spot in the real rotation.

Maybe the Spurs keep him around as insurance for next season if they can't re-sign Bonner and Mahinmi (or if McDyess retires). But really, he doesn't appear to be an NBA player from the small snippets we've seen this season.

:wow

Mr. Body
01-22-2010, 04:42 PM
James White!!

timvp
01-22-2010, 04:42 PM
Haislip's 2009-2010 contract was guaranteed, meaning the Spurs must eat the remainder of his $855,189 salary, as well as a portion of the $915,852 he is owed next season, in order to waive him.

That sucks, if true. However, if the Spurs did eat the rest of Haislip's contract, that does make it much more likely this move was meant to open the door for another transaction.

DPG21920
01-22-2010, 04:47 PM
No, for example Spurs could sign players with the LLE.

And it's not because they have the same contract than it's the same thing. It would be like saying Mike D'Antoni is the same thing as a cat because they have both staches.

I was making a reference that the rule you mentioned is in place because there are other cap rules (10 day contracts, unlimited league minimum contracts...) in place that allow for similar moves. It would just make sense. But I see what you are saying.

DPG21920
01-22-2010, 04:49 PM
That sucks, if true. However, if the Spurs did eat the rest of Haislip's contract, that does make it much more likely this move was meant to open the door for another transaction.

Certainly, the Spurs usually do right by their players, as long as it makes financial sense. But I could not see them just eating his contract to let him go play. There would have to be some incentive. Unless the Spurs thought no one would take his contract and they were going to have to pay him no matter what.

Obstructed_View
01-22-2010, 04:52 PM

Surely if he wanted to be let go there was a buyout negotiated to save the Spurs some money.

timvp
01-22-2010, 04:54 PM
Surely if he wanted to be let go there was a buyout negotiated to save the Spurs some money.

Yeah, you would think.

PublicOption
01-22-2010, 05:00 PM
If i were the lakers i would goble him up and release walton.

Kill_Bill_Pana
01-22-2010, 05:00 PM

Remember how Panathinaikos paid 1 million euros to Spurs to get Spanoulis? Well they paid 1.5 million to them to get Haislip.

The salary of Haislip still counts on Spurs salary cap just like it did with Spanoulis because of NBA CBA rules. But Spurs pocket 1.5 million EUROS, not dollars cash from this. Already has been sent to Spurs bank account.

Popovich is very close personal friends with PAO coach Obradovic. Do not forget that.

Kill_Bill_Pana
01-22-2010, 05:02 PM
Also 1.5 million euros = $2.12084 dollars

igruex
01-22-2010, 05:02 PM
The amount of money saved then, could throw some light upon this move.

Obstructed_View
01-22-2010, 05:03 PM
Yeah, you would think.

I hope and pray that the FO isn't that stupid. The only reason I can imagine that there wouldn't have been a buyout of some sort is if this move is on the Spurs' timeline, which means that there's going to be some move by the end of the weekend that required the open roster spot.

Bruno
01-22-2010, 05:05 PM
I doubt McDonald is right:

First, Haislip 10-11 salary was fully nonguaranteed.
Second, If Haislip hadn't agreed to a buyout, Spurs would likely have traded him (with cash) to a team under the tax to avoid paying the luxury tax on his contract.
Third, his bad record speaks for itself.

timvp
01-22-2010, 05:12 PM
Remember how Panathinaikos paid 1 million euros to Spurs to get Spanoulis? Well they paid 1.5 million to them to get Haislip.

The salary of Haislip still counts on Spurs salary cap just like it did with Spanoulis because of NBA CBA rules. But Spurs pocket 1.5 million EUROS, not dollars cash from this. Already has been sent to Spurs bank account.

Popovich is very close personal friends with PAO coach Obradovic. Do not forget that.

$2M+ for Haislip? For some reason I doubt that . . .

ChumpDumper
01-22-2010, 05:19 PM
:lol @ second hand KBP. I think the best case scenario is that Haislip and the Spurs agree that he is owed no more money this season; basically a zero buyout.
But Spurs pocket 1.5 million EUROS, not dollars cash from this. Already has been sent to Spurs bank account.That would be pretty stupid to do before he clears waivers.

temujin
01-22-2010, 05:21 PM
I just heard a BBC report on the Greek financial situation (the country is broke).
Lies, big lies and then Greek accounting.

1.5 Millions?
And Euros???

Obradovic will probably pay a Greek salad and, maybe, a souvlaki to Popovich when he comes over.
Popovich might have to bring a bottle of wine, though.

temujin
01-22-2010, 05:23 PM
Having said that, I don't think that any top European team would want Jefferson for more than 200K.
Dollars, of course.

dbestpro
01-22-2010, 05:27 PM
Having said that, I don't think that any top European team would want Jefferson for more than 200K.
Dollars, of course.

Maybe you could interest them in Dice.

hsxvvd
01-22-2010, 05:29 PM
This is a good move, we traditionally have always had an opportunity to pick up a player who can provide some value to the team like Gooden or Stoudamire.

With teams scrambling to free up cash for next season, there are sure to be some valuable players cut loose for us to consider.

dbestpro
01-22-2010, 05:31 PM
Time for Bonner to move in.

You means the player formerly known as Bonner. He is now known as "The Claw".

temujin
01-22-2010, 06:12 PM
Maybe you could interest them in Dice.

Dice would be perfect for Switzerland.
They play once every two weeks, slow pace, and the guards actually e-mail you before they dare making a pass.

Kill_Bill_Pana
01-22-2010, 06:29 PM
$2M+ for Haislip? For some reason I doubt that . . .

Coach Obradovic of PAO said to Greek reporters they already sent 1.5 million euros to the Spurs. It has already been received by the Spurs. Once again, Popovich and Obradovic are very close friends.

They often visit with each other in the summer.

timtonymanu
01-22-2010, 06:32 PM
sucks for Haislip but he didnt look like an nba player.

didnt understand the hype about him in the first place.

Kill_Bill_Pana
01-22-2010, 07:08 PM
Haislip confirms.

http://www.sentragoal.gr/article.asp?catid=10601&subid=2&pubid=7000040

He says he will play for PAO and that he left Spurs because Popovich would not play him. He says every player in Europe dreams to play for PAO.

SenorSpur
01-22-2010, 07:10 PM
Perhaps the Spurs are paving the way to bring back Anthony Tolliver. :-)

ChumpDumper
01-22-2010, 07:20 PM
Perhaps the Spurs are paving the way to bring back Anthony Tolliver. :-)He still apparently can't shoot, but he can do things other than Haislip. He's on another ten-day right now.

Obstructed_View
01-22-2010, 07:28 PM
He still apparently can't shoot, but he can do things other than Haislip. He's on another ten-day right now.

Can't draw a foul either. :)

dbestpro
01-22-2010, 07:46 PM
Hooray! The Spurs have fixed all their problems by waiving their end of the bench player. That should fix the defense.

HarlemHeat37
01-22-2010, 07:54 PM
I can't believe Golden State went to Tolliver in clutch time to tie the game with a 3 vs. Denver a few days ago..he obviously missed, as expected LOL..I guess they were trying to get a Sundiatta Gaines moment..

ElNono
01-22-2010, 08:08 PM
There goes one of the 'great' signings this summer, another 'under the radar' pickup that was going to work for the Spurs where he failed for somebody else.
Farewell Marcus, we never really knew ya...

ace3g
01-22-2010, 08:13 PM
With Dwayne Jones outplaying all of his competition in the D-League and easily averaging 20 and 20 a night recently, will the Spurs look to Jones to fill the empty roster spot?

- from project spurs.com, wouldn't mind taking another look at Jones

http://projectspurs.com/2010-articles/january/haislip-waived-likely-headed-back-to-europe.html

DPG21920
01-22-2010, 08:15 PM
Jones does not have enough offensive game to be an NBA player. He defense is solid, but not good enough to compensate for his lack of an offensive game imo.

DPG21920
01-22-2010, 08:16 PM
I wonder when we will get the details of what happened financially.

wildbill2u
01-22-2010, 08:17 PM
My money is on the Spurs looking for another vet in the 35-40 age range. Maybe they can't play very well, but look at all their experience and basketball IQ.

I hate to say it, but the braintrust has about lost my trust on signing vets. They never work out. How soon we forgive and forget the signing of N VanE

Ya Basta!

Spurs Brazil
01-22-2010, 08:19 PM
UPDATE: According to a Spurs source, the team bought out Haislip's contract, saving about $800,000 and getting him off the books for next season. The source also confirmed Haislip has indeed agreed to sign with Panathinaikos in Greece.

Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said before the game he had no hard feelings with Haislip's decision.

"He wasn't going to play. Too many guys head of him," Popovich said. "He had a couple teams over there real interested in him. So we were happy to allow him to be in a better situation. No reason not to do that."

http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/courtside/2010/01/spurs-waive-hai.html

ChumpDumper
01-22-2010, 08:23 PM
- from project spurs.com, wouldn't mind taking another look at Jones

http://projectspurs.com/2010-articles/january/haislip-waived-likely-headed-back-to-europe.htmlEh, probably too small and slow to be a good NBA center.

I think everyone's favorite boxscore name Courtney Sims is back in the D-League, but I imagine he's way out of shape.

DPG21920
01-22-2010, 08:24 PM
I don't think they call anyone up. No reason to add any more money. The person they call up will have no chance to play, so why do it. As chump mentioned, the Spurs already have 2 of the best DL's in Ian and Malik.

HarlemHeat37
01-22-2010, 08:35 PM
Speaking of D-League, has Hairston always been a primary option there, or is this stint the first time he's been the clear #1 that gets the most shots, Chump?..I only started watching since he got called down this time, I didn't watch him there last year..

Chieflion
01-22-2010, 08:36 PM
3 for 2 trade in the making. Nah, just kidding.

ChumpDumper
01-22-2010, 08:38 PM
I don't think they call anyone up. No reason to add any more money. The person they call up will have no chance to play, so why do it. As chump mentioned, the Spurs already have 2 of the best DL's in Ian and Malik.I can only really see their signing another tweener with Bonner/Haislip type traits (Kurz or Gilder) or another point guard if they are thinking of resting Parker (I'd probably go with Dontell Jefferson after all the recent PG call-ups, but wouldn't be completely surprised or disappointed by a Jerrells call-up).

ChumpDumper
01-22-2010, 08:42 PM
Speaking of D-League, has Hairston always been a primary option there, or is this stint the first time he's been the clear #1 that gets the most shots, Chump?..I only started watching since he got called down this time, I didn't watch him there last year..Malik and Marcus Williams split their looks fairly evenly last season. This season Malik is definitely the go-to guy. He dominated the second half of Thursday's overtime win and laid some nasty dunks on Maine in the first half tonight.

angelbelow
01-22-2010, 08:46 PM
I thought he was the new Rasheed?

Fuck you, he IS the new Rasheed. So of a Rasheed Wallace 2.5 because hes that much better. :rolleyes

exstatic
01-22-2010, 10:01 PM
I hate to say it, but the braintrust has about lost my trust on signing vets. They never work out. How soon we forgive and forget the signing of N VanE
http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:IRnFO3x9VNXNiM:http://www.hoopsvibe.com/IMG/bruce_bowen-arton20880-240x240.jpghttp://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:GXid9g2wFyefGM:http://pyleoflist.files.wordpress.com/2007/05/robert-horry.jpg

Kill_Bill_Pana
01-22-2010, 10:22 PM
I can only really see their signing another tweener with Bonner/Haislip type traits (Kurz or Gilder) or another point guard if they are thinking of resting Parker (I'd probably go with Dontell Jefferson after all the recent PG call-ups, but wouldn't be completely surprised or disappointed by a Jerrells call-up).

Once again, Kurz plays in the Greek League with Aris.

Spurs Brazil
01-22-2010, 10:32 PM
Can we waive McDyess and send him to Greece too?

Bruno
01-23-2010, 03:21 AM
I don't know of anyone in the D-League who would be of immediate help -- maybe tweener forwards like Mike Harris, Trey Gilder or Rob Kurz who might fill a Haislipish role.

What's your opinion about Harris? I've seen that he has had some monster games with RGV (including a 48/24 game :wow).

ChumpDumper
01-23-2010, 04:08 AM
I think his stats are a little inflated against the Toros because they have no power forward to match up with him down low, but he causes matchup problems against larger players too by playing the perimeter. I'm a little higher on Gilder's length and upside, but Harris might be more of a plug and play type for a team like the Spurs.

Bruno
01-23-2010, 04:20 AM
^ Thanks.

kace
01-23-2010, 04:51 AM
i don't follow D-League but i assume none of this guy is as good as Ian. not even close. (maybe Chump could confirm). so since Ian never sees the court with the Spurs, why search another D-League center when we have one of the best of the previous years on the bench ?

ChumpDumper
01-23-2010, 04:56 AM
i don't follow D-League but i assume none of this guy is as good as Ian. not even close. (maybe Chump could confirm). so since Ian never see the court with the Spurs, why search another D-League center when we have one of the best of the previous years on the bench ?Yep, Ian and Malik are why I didn't spend much time describing centers or shooting guards as potential call-ups.

kace
01-23-2010, 05:03 AM
Yep, Ian and Malik are why I didn't spend much time describing centers or shooting guards as potential call-ups.

thanks.

maybe D-League could rather be used to find a long perimeter stopper.
i don't think good bigs or good scorers can fly under the radar and end on a lower league, but a defensive specialist, why not.

Obstructed_View
01-23-2010, 05:06 AM
If there's an individual defender that's better than Hairston, I'm all for the Spurs bringing him up. Hopefully he's also scoring 30 points per game in D League.

Danny.Zhu
01-23-2010, 07:32 AM
This signing failed.

duncan228
01-23-2010, 01:04 PM
Panathinaikos acquires Marcus Haislip (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ap-panathinaikos-haislip&prov=ap&type=lgns)

Reigning Greek and European champion Panathinaikos has announced the acquisition of forward Marcus Haislip, who was recently waived by the San Antonio Spurs.

There was no formal team release, but a team executive announced the acquisition to the fans at halftime in Panathinaikos’ Saturday league match against Kolossos Rhodes.

Panathinaikos (12-1) leads the Greek League along with archrival Olympiakos and has reached the Final 16 in the Euroleague, but has been hit with injuries, notably to forwards Costas Tsartsaris and Mike Batiste. It has won nine of the last 10 Greek championships and five European championships since 2000.

The 29-year old, 2.08-meter (6-10) Haislip played sparingly in four NBA seasons with three different teams since drafted 13th in 2002, averaging 3.5 points in 89 regular-season games. He also played two seasons in Turkey and two in Spain. He was released by the Spurs on Friday “to pursue opportunities outside of the NBA.”

Indazone
01-23-2010, 01:08 PM
Unfortunate..no KBP to weigh in anymore :(

scottspurs
01-23-2010, 03:25 PM
The spurs did the right thing letting Haislip go so he could pursue a better situation.

I wish him the best.

pku47
01-24-2010, 02:12 AM
He is playing in China for $200K.
Marcus in China?:wow

You must have got something wrong.

murpjf88
01-24-2010, 02:18 AM
Never should have signed him in the first place.

Bruno
01-24-2010, 02:55 AM

Marcus Williams is playing for the Zhejiang Wanma Cyclones and averages 27ppg.
http://www.cba.gov.cn/cbastats/playerdetail.aspx?id=500714

1usamotorsports.com
01-24-2010, 10:58 AM

Nope , marcus is in china . I know , Im holding his truck .

TJastal
01-24-2010, 11:03 AM
I'm not sure if Haislip was supposed to be a more athletic replacement to Bonner, but he never really never got much of a chance to prove himself.

Ahh well, glad its not my money.

galvatron3000
01-24-2010, 11:58 AM
I'm not sure if Haislip was supposed to be a more athletic replacement to Bonner, but he never really never got much of a chance to prove himself.

Ahh well, glad its not my money.

Even with injuries Pop refused to play the guy. This season has been nothing short of a joke simply because we refuse to do what we said we needed to do, add some youth and ply them. Add some athleticism and mesh it it with the vets. Oh, well Bonner in and Haislip out. Same as last year so I expect similar results.

I just wanted the guy to get minutes to see what he would bring especially when BIGS got injured but no, they figured he wasn't going to work and was a mistake signing, so I wish him well as do Hairston and Ian.

wildbill2u
01-24-2010, 12:22 PM
http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:IRnFO3x9VNXNiM:http://www.hoopsvibe.com/IMG/bruce_bowen-arton20880-240x240.jpghttp://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:GXid9g2wFyefGM:http://pyleoflist.files.wordpress.com/2007/05/robert-horry.jpg

Point taken, but I was really thinking about my prior sentence where I referenced "another vet in the 35-40 age range".

Bowen was 29 and Horry 32 when they came to the Spurs.

Not to deny they were able to contribute, but the odds are long against anyone coming in after age 35 being able to contribute much, certainly not as much as in the early or middle years of a career.

You could just as easily have pointed out some flops who support the position against bringing in broken down vets.

Suppose you can bring in one of two players who will give you approximately the same stats--one in the twilight of his career and one with fresh legs and youthful energy. What are the intangibles (experience vs. youth) and how do you weigh them?

I guess that's what we pay the FO. If you and I had the answers down cold, we'd be in charge.

(I'm assuming that your username doesn't hide the true identity of Pop or anyone in the FO)

Southwest Texas Fan
01-24-2010, 03:03 PM
Spurs can't get Dorrell Wright without trading a player like Finley.

Now, I agree Spurs get some flexibility. Spurs could try some D-League players with 10 days contract, sign a vet PG (Antonio Daniels) or a project player like Rashad McCants.

IMO, they will keep the roster spot open to save money and wait until the deadline to see if an interesting vet will be available.

I saw Antonio Daniels at Sushi Zushi this past Wednesday. Maybe it's nothing but you may on to something Bruno.

DPG21920
01-24-2010, 04:29 PM
I saw Antonio Daniels at Sushi Zushi this past Wednesday. Maybe it's nothing but you may on to something Bruno.

Daniels has a home in SA. He is here frequently.

Southwest Texas Fan
01-24-2010, 07:02 PM
Daniels has a home in SA. He is here frequently.

Yeah I know he has a home here but I did not know he visited frequently.

Dex
01-24-2010, 07:14 PM
Good move to help what was otherwise a bad signing. Saves some money, and at least now there is a spot open on the bench. One less thing for the Spurs to worry about, should they decide to pick up another FA or swing a 2-for-1 trade.

galvatron3000
01-24-2010, 09:12 PM
This sure feels sorta deja vu -ish to me