PDA

View Full Version : Memphis Reportedly Shopping Rudy Gay

duncan228
01-22-2010, 03:22 PM
Memphis Reportedly Shopping Rudy Gay (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=tsn-memphisreportedlysho&prov=tsn&type=lgns)
SportingNews

Yesterday, I wrote about the Grizzlies’ pursuit of Ronnie Brewer (http://www.sportingnews.com/blog/The_Baseline/entry/view/52815/is_ronnie_brewer_heading_to_memphis?) and heralded the new, more serious era for the Grizzlies. Well, it turns out I was wrong—apparently they’re interested in Brewer as protection if Rudy Gay walks away as an unrestricted free agent this summer.

But that’s not all. According to Chad Ford, Memphis is thinking about dealing Gay (http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/insider/columns/story?columnist=ford_chad&page=TradeWatch-100121&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fnba %2finsider%2fcolumns%2fstory%3fcolumnist%3dford_ch ad%26page%3dTradeWatch-100121) before the deadline:

One, Memphis is concerned that this summer a team flush with cap space will offer Gay (who will be a restricted free agent this summer) a huge contract that Grizzlies owner Michael Heisley will be unwilling to match. Two, the team, currently at 22-19, would love to make the playoffs and believes it’s a veteran defensive presence away from getting there.

While a number of teams would be interested in Gay, a rising talent at age 23, keep your eye on the Pistons. They have been hunting for the right trade in which to move Tayshaun Prince. If Prince is healthy (he has been battling back and knee injuries all season), he might fit the bill for Memphis—and the Pistons could throw in a lottery pick from this year’s draft to sweeten the deal.

A veteran defensive presence would be nice for a team that currently starts Gay and O.J. Mayo on the wings, but Prince might not be the answer. As Ford mentions, Tayshaun’s played in just nine games this year due to injury, and none since January 9. And even when he’s been in the lineup, his stats haven’t been terrific.

They’d be losing a lot by dealing Gay. He’s second on the team in scoring with 20.5 ppg, just .3 behind Zach Randolph for the team lead. Perhaps players like Mayo and Marc Gasol could pick up some of the scoring load, but the Grizzlies have a good thing going now and shouldn’t mess with it too much. Maybe I’m wrong, but I don’t see a Gay-less Memphis beating out a number of other qualified teams for one of the West’s final playoff spots.

It makes some sense to guard against losing one of your best players for nothing, and it’s always good to get an extra lottery pick. Yet there’s also something to be said for presenting your team as a legitimate option on the path of real progress. If Memphis trades Rudy Gay, they’d be putting that image in jeopardy.

I. Hustle
01-22-2010, 03:24 PM
lol Gay-less Memphis. That's an oxymoron

Baseline
01-22-2010, 03:50 PM
Gay for Finley/Mason and Mahinmi. Let's do it.

Of course, what will actually happen is Gay for Sash Vujacic and his mascara collection.

Donkeybong
01-22-2010, 03:52 PM
stupid move by memphis. gay is the heart of that team.

I. Hustle
01-22-2010, 03:53 PM
Bring in Gay that way if we lose Manu we can say... hey at least we got Gay.

dirk4mvp
01-22-2010, 03:53 PM
stupid move by memphis. gay is the heart of that team.

You're kidding right?

endrity
01-22-2010, 03:56 PM
That's the guy we need Cuban, not Martin!

djohn2oo8
01-22-2010, 03:57 PM
Come on sons, stop kidding yourselves. You already know Gay will be traded to the lakers for a box of cookies

endrity
01-22-2010, 03:59 PM
:(

The Gemini Method
01-22-2010, 04:22 PM
One Box of Samoas for Rudy Gay--do it Mitch...

5in10
01-22-2010, 04:53 PM
all this trade hype is killing me! Ive been checking this forum daily just to see if a trade has finally been completed...

I. Hustle
01-22-2010, 04:58 PM
Two boxes of thin mints and Fin for RG!

Girasuck
01-22-2010, 05:02 PM
Boozer & Brewer for Gay and their late first rounder.

Greg Oden
01-22-2010, 05:02 PM
I can't imagine the amount of lame jokes spurfans would come up with involving Gay and Bonner.

lil_penny
01-22-2010, 05:15 PM
Well memphis has been wanting troutlaw so let's make it happen!

JamStone
01-22-2010, 05:58 PM
Gay will stay in Memphis and then leave in the summer of 2011 when he's unrestricted and sign with Boston.

Xylus
01-22-2010, 06:05 PM
Wish there was a way to get rid of JRich and pick up Gay. But I don't see why Memphis would need JRich when they have OJ Mayo already, unless a three-way trade was made.

21_Blessings
01-22-2010, 06:10 PM
Gay will stay in Memphis and then leave in the summer of 2011 when he's unrestricted and sign with Boston.

So you're saying Paul Pierce will decline his 21 million dollar player option and/or won't be resigned?

djohn2oo8
Two boxes of thin mints and Fin for RG!

The Spurs' trash couldn't even land Jared Jeffries

rAm
HAY IF HE JOINS DA SPURS DEN WE WILL HAVE A GAY BONNER LOLz

JamStone
01-22-2010, 06:37 PM
So you're saying Paul Pierce will decline his 21 million dollar player option and/or won't be resigned?

No.

baseline bum
01-22-2010, 06:53 PM
Spurs should move their gay SF for Memphis'.

BlackSwordsMan
01-22-2010, 07:09 PM
jefferson and gay together will be a good match up

Hooks
01-22-2010, 07:37 PM
Dick+Gay will be solid, trade Boner!

How good is Gay's D? Hopefully he can guard Shawn Maricon pretty well if the Spurs ever play the Mavs in the playoffs.

HarlemHeat37
01-22-2010, 08:00 PM
Shawn Marion doesn't have to be guarded in the playoffs..

Hooks
01-22-2010, 08:02 PM
Shawn Marion doesn't have to be guarded in the playoffs..

Maricon is apart of the Mavs though, everyone on the mavs plays well when they're playing the spurs.

ezau
01-22-2010, 09:11 PM
Parker for Gay.

Pelicans78
01-22-2010, 09:30 PM
Sean Marks and Darius Songalia for Rudy Gay

Allanon
01-23-2010, 01:21 AM
My guess is the Grizz are shopping him for a defensive guy.

Memphis has enough big men, they're probably looking for a defensive SF or a veteran point guard.

CP3 for Gay and Conley would be interesting.

DPG21920
01-23-2010, 01:23 AM
My guess is the Grizz are shopping him for a defensive guy.

Memphis has enough big men, they're probably looking for a defensive SF or a veteran point guard.

CP3 for Gay and Conley would be interesting.

Would that be your guess because there are articles that say that :lol

Allanon
01-23-2010, 01:24 AM
Would that be your guess because there are articles that say that :lol

There are?

No that was my guess I just made up 10 seconds ago.. I thought people would think I was crazy :lol

I watched most Memphis games for the last 2 years.

KidCongo
01-23-2010, 01:25 AM
Battier for Gay.

DPG21920
01-23-2010, 01:25 AM
Memphis Reportedly Shopping Rudy Gay (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=tsn-memphisreportedlysho&prov=tsn&type=lgns)
SportingNews

Yesterday, I wrote about the Grizzlies’ pursuit of Ronnie Brewer (http://www.sportingnews.com/blog/The_Baseline/entry/view/52815/is_ronnie_brewer_heading_to_memphis?) and heralded the new, more serious era for the Grizzlies. Well, it turns out I was wrong—apparently they’re interested in Brewer as protection if Rudy Gay walks away as an unrestricted free agent this summer.

But that’s not all. According to Chad Ford, Memphis is thinking about dealing Gay (http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/insider/columns/story?columnist=ford_chad&page=TradeWatch-100121&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fnba %2finsider%2fcolumns%2fstory%3fcolumnist%3dford_ch ad%26page%3dTradeWatch-100121) before the deadline:

One, Memphis is concerned that this summer a team flush with cap space will offer Gay (who will be a restricted free agent this summer) a huge contract that Grizzlies owner Michael Heisley will be unwilling to match. Two, the team, currently at 22-19, would love to make the playoffs and believes it’s a veteran defensive presence away from getting there.

While a number of teams would be interested in Gay, a rising talent at age 23, keep your eye on the Pistons. They have been hunting for the right trade in which to move Tayshaun Prince. If Prince is healthy (he has been battling back and knee injuries all season), he might fit the bill for Memphis—and the Pistons could throw in a lottery pick from this year’s draft to sweeten the deal.

A veteran defensive presence would be nice for a team that currently starts Gay and O.J. Mayo on the wings, but Prince might not be the answer. As Ford mentions, Tayshaun’s played in just nine games this year due to injury, and none since January 9. And even when he’s been in the lineup, his stats haven’t been terrific.

They’d be losing a lot by dealing Gay. He’s second on the team in scoring with 20.5 ppg, just .3 behind Zach Randolph for the team lead. Perhaps players like Mayo and Marc Gasol could pick up some of the scoring load, but the Grizzlies have a good thing going now and shouldn’t mess with it too much. Maybe I’m wrong, but I don’t see a Gay-less Memphis beating out a number of other qualified teams for one of the West’s final playoff spots.

It makes some sense to guard against losing one of your best players for nothing, and it’s always good to get an extra lottery pick. Yet there’s also something to be said for presenting your team as a legitimate option on the path of real progress. If Memphis trades Rudy Gay, they’d be putting that image in jeopardy.

Sons, it is in the OP

Allanon
01-23-2010, 01:27 AM
Sons, it is in the OP

Shoot, sons, I didn't even read the article.

Dirk4MVP and I talked about this same shit like 3 weeks ago :lol

Way too many chuckers and not enough defenders on the Grizz...is there a more talented offensive team than the Grizz?

They have like 4 guys who can score 20 every night if there were 4 basketballs.

mystargtr34
01-23-2010, 01:42 AM
Im not sure about Mayo developing into that Brandon Roy type scorer/creator they need to get into that elite level 3 to 4 years from now. He's real talented, and i like his game - but i dont think he has that potential to be that 25-5-5 guy or there abouts like Roy. Doesnt have the passing/athleticism/finishing ability. He's more suited as a secondary creator/ball handler.

They could make a run at Joe Johnson.

The Franchise
01-23-2010, 01:46 AM
We're willing to give them Battier and filler back in a swap for Gay. They get there defensive wing (also a fan favorite), and we get the scorer we need. Everybody's happy. :lol