PDA

View Full Version : Are Ginobili's Days As A Spur Numbered? Must Read

edgar
01-22-2010, 06:59 PM
Well today I had the pleasure of meeting Ginobilis brother and 2 other family members when they came in to eat at our restaurant on the river walk. He is tall like Manu and suprisingly they were extremly polite and nice people overall. I took their family picture with their camera and that broke the ice. They were waiting for their check but they asked me a question about all the airforce graduates that were walking around the river walk and I explained to them in Spanish that they graduate each week here since we have airforce bases here in town. BUT this is when I asked what every Ginobili Fan wants to know. Do you think Ginobili resigns with the Spurs? His response was: No! I told him What, Why Not? He said that he hopes he does but that his gut feeling is telling him no because he feels Ginobili has already accomplished alot here and he need to accomplish more. I was shocked but had my doubts thinking its more that the front office might not want him back instead of what his brother said.

ace3g
01-22-2010, 07:01 PM
maybe they misunderstood the question, maybe they meant no to an extension, but he might still sign a new contract over the summer

SenorSpur
01-22-2010, 07:08 PM
I believe a lot will predicate on what happens this season with Manu's health and the overall performance of the team.

If Ginobili does not return, and I'm not in the camp that believes or wants him to leave, that will the first significant signal that more wholesale changes could be forthcoming. At that point, perhaps it will be time to start toward rebuilding this thing. Perhaps the Spurs then start to consider shipping out RJ's soon-to-be-expiring contract and get a younger, swingman in here - for less money. Personally, I'm still driving the Rudy Gay bus. He's the guy I believe they should go after.

DesignatedT
01-22-2010, 07:14 PM
well worry about this when the time comes. if we get ousted in the first round again then who cares anyway. we need to worry about now and this season.

Creation88
01-22-2010, 07:21 PM
doesn't matter. this team needs to win NOW. not in the future. take care of business tonight and every night after that and then we'll worry about contracts and signings.

cd98
01-22-2010, 07:25 PM
Ginoboli had been a great Spur but every player has an expiration date. Fans want Manu to be a lifetime Spur, and maybe he does too. The Spurs will take him for less money. But if you are Ginoboli, doesn't it make sense to go to a top contender if you are going to take a paycut? If you play for less, why not do so in Cleveland or LA and win more titles to add to your resume? Both those teams would want his spark off the bench.

EVAY
01-22-2010, 07:25 PM
I believe him. I have thought for some tme that Ginobili is not that happy here, and is wanting to contribute much more than Pop wants him to contribute. I think he has been unhappy for a long time, and wants to go soemwhere where he is given more freedom.

Spurs Brazil
01-22-2010, 07:28 PM
Manu contract thread!

Obstructed_View
01-22-2010, 07:28 PM
I believe a lot will predicate on what happens this season with Manu's health and the overall performance of the team.

If Ginobili does not return, and I'm not in the camp that believes or wants him to leave, that will the first significant signal that more wholesale changes could be forthcoming. At that point, perhaps it will be time to start toward rebuilding this thing. Perhaps the Spurs then start to consider shipping out RJ's soon-to-be-expiring contract and get a younger, swingman in here - for less money. Personally, I'm still driving the Rudy Gay bus. He's the guy I believe they should go after.

So you're a big Gay guy?

9RXaERVhNuU

01-22-2010, 07:30 PM
i shouldn't encourage the gay jokes but...

can you imagine a gay jefferson wing rotation?!?

Rick Von Braun
01-22-2010, 09:22 PM
i shouldn't encourage the gay jokes but...

can you imagine a gay jefferson wing rotation?!?

:lmao

exstatic
01-22-2010, 10:24 PM

If Ginobili leaves, the Spurs will only have the MLE to replace him.

1) you ain't getting Rudy Gay for that
2) he's a horrible chucker. His career pts/FGA is 1.18. That's pretty pedestrian. A figure like that would put you in the Ron Mercer class: a scorer who needs a LOT of shots to put up a good amount of points. By comparison, Manu's career figure is 1.41.

rapliketp
01-22-2010, 11:00 PM
Ginobili has said recently that he isn't ready to retire from international basketball. Could this be the issue?

Allanon
01-22-2010, 11:01 PM
I've been watching pretty much every Memphis game this year.

Rudy Gay is a serious chucker...I saw him take and miss like the last 6 shots tonight without even looking at his teammates.

But at the same time, Gay also hit the game winner so pick your poison.

And next time Manu asks him this question, please ask him what teams he would consider going to dammit. He probably won't answer but who knows, he might throw out some names.

superjames1992
01-22-2010, 11:02 PM
I hope Ginoboli leaves. Have to crack some eggs to make an omlet.
:depressed

Hemotivo
01-22-2010, 11:18 PM
which brother answer?
this guy (Leandro)
http://www.eleco.com.ar/upload/noticias/small/46_14804_1_gino.jpg
or this guy? (Sebastian)
http://www.cdmbasketball.net/images/sebastian_ginobili.jpg

kuato
01-22-2010, 11:47 PM
http://i45.tinypic.com/3011yix.jpg

baseline bum
01-23-2010, 01:06 AM
The Spurs need to shop his expiring around and see if they can get anything decent for it. The Manu Ginobili who carried this team in early 2007-08 is gone and isn't coming back. I hate to say goodbye to a Spurs legend, but Manu's an old 32 and it's time to move on unless there are no good trade offers and he's willing to take an MLE-level contract more in line with his level of his production.

tp2021
01-23-2010, 01:14 AM
The Spurs need to shop his expiring around and see if they can get anything decent for it. The Manu Ginobili who carried this team in early 2007-08 is gone and isn't coming back. I hate to say goodbye to a Spurs legend, but Manu's an old 32 and it's time to move on unless there are no good trade offers and he's willing to take an MLE-level contract more in line with his level of his production.

I hate to say it, but I finally agree. Trading Manu is an option now, and a big one.

ElNono
01-23-2010, 01:20 AM
I think this is the last thing in Manu's head right now. Now, as far as trading his expiring for something out there, I think the FO should do what's best to increase the team chances to win.

Dr. Gonzo
01-23-2010, 01:36 AM
Don't tell me what I have to read.

DynastySpurs210
01-23-2010, 01:41 AM
that really touches me, Manu has done more then enough in San Antonio but sometime people don't realize that. The big 3 is fading away and i believe its over. We gave it a run but it seem to not work out.

ulosturedge
01-23-2010, 01:48 AM
You know you always think it would be fitting for our big 3 to retire as a Spur, but the reality is things don't really just work out that way. It does seem apparent that we aren't seeing the same Ginobili anymore. I'm glad he's found other ways to help the team, but i'm not sure if that will be enough to keep him around. I see the Spurs trying to sign him back for less. Weather or not he will want to stay a Spurs under those circumstances I have no clue. It's possible that if he sees a team he can make better and are contenders; he might opt for that situation. Who knows he might even go international again. Whatever happens Ginobili had a great run here. Thanks for the memories Manu!

TMTTRIO
01-23-2010, 01:55 AM
Unfortunately I can see it happen. It'll be a very interesting summer. If the Spurs don't win it all this year I can't see the Spurs giving him much at all if anything and Manu may decide that even though we're still a title contender that maybe it's time to go and play for another team. Also this time he's an UFA so he'll have choices and offers this year unlike when he was a RFA where we could match any offer and that teams were concerned about going after him. If LA offered him a contract a little less then what we would offer him would he consider trading teams to be in title contentions? How about teams like Houston and the Cavs? They might not be the biggest title contenders but they're still good teams that he might want to play for. Unfortunately trading him now would be bad because 1.) We couldn't get fair value for him 2.) How does this trade help us now and in the next few years that Tim has left? Interesting

temujin
01-23-2010, 09:32 AM
Right now the Spurs TEAM has nothing to offer to Ginobili.

The run is over.

The_Worlds_finest
01-23-2010, 09:56 AM
Gino is the Man and will always be the man.
I remember watching him in preseason games the first year he came on board. (here comes the....)But if he wants to part ways and do his own thing so be it or if Spurs want to part ways and do thier thing so be it . If Spurs dont win it this year he is going to need to take a giant paycut to come back(vet minimum??). DWAYNE WADE in the house!!!

Indazone
01-23-2010, 11:25 AM
Well you guys could always trade us for T-Mac :lol

EVAY
01-23-2010, 12:30 PM
I think he will go to L.A. or Miami. Not Cleveland.

kace
01-23-2010, 12:42 PM
If Ginobili leaves, the Spurs will only have the MLE to replace him.

1) you ain't getting Rudy Gay for that
2) he's a horrible chucker. His career pts/FGA is 1.18. That's pretty pedestrian. A figure like that would put you in the Ron Mercer class: a scorer who needs a LOT of shots to put up a good amount of points. By comparison, Manu's career figure is 1.41.

not false but that doesn't say the whole thing. 27 % of manu's points come from FT as they're only 17 % for Gay. And most of the times, FT also use a possession (except and one and technical FT) without any FGA counted, even if they're easy points.

Without the FT, pts/FGA for manu is 1.04 and 0.98 for Gay. rather close.

still, manu is a very very efficient player, that's for sure. but the difference here comes from his ability to go to the line.

BackHome
01-23-2010, 01:09 PM
The problem with our team is Jefferson contract next season will stop us from getting better. So next year is going to be the same as this year so thats another year of Manu getting wear and tear on his body.

I love Manu and hope he would stay with us but if he leaves I would love for him to go to Cleveland and hang out with Danny Ferry. It would be sweet to see him tearing up the Flakers in the finals.......Oh YES..........

DAF86
01-23-2010, 02:37 PM
Well today I had the pleasure of meeting Ginobilis brother and 2 other family members when they came in to eat at our restaurant on the river walk. He is tall like Manu and suprisingly they were extremly polite and nice people overall. I took their family picture with their camera and that broke the ice. They were waiting for their check but they asked me a question about all the airforce graduates that were walking around the river walk and I explained to them in Spanish that they graduate each week here since we have airforce bases here in town. BUT this is when I asked what every Ginobili Fan wants to know. Do you think Ginobili resigns with the Spurs? His response was: No! I told him What, Why Not? He said that he hopes he does but that his gut feeling is telling him no because he feels Ginobili has already accomplished alot here and he need to accomplish more. I was shocked but had my doubts thinking its more that the front office might not want him back instead of what his brother said.

WTF? Why is that surprising? :lol

baseline bum
01-23-2010, 02:44 PM
The problem with our team is Jefferson contract next season will stop us from getting better. So next year is going to be the same as this year so thats another year of Manu getting wear and tear on his body.

I love Manu and hope he would stay with us but if he leaves I would love for him to go to Cleveland and hang out with Danny Ferry. It would be sweet to see him tearing up the Flakers in the finals.......Oh YES..........

Jefferson's contract will be an enormous asset next season. It keeps the team from doing a lot this year, but it's going to be extremely sought-after next season the way McGrady's is now.

temujin
01-23-2010, 03:12 PM
Jefferson's contract will be an enormous asset next season. It keeps the team from doing a lot this year, but it's going to be extremely sought-after next season the way McGrady's is now.

Tell Popovich to trade Blair for Arenas: that's going to be an even bigger asset, come 2014.

baseline bum
01-23-2010, 03:16 PM
Tell Popovich to trade Blair for Arenas: that's going to be an even bigger asset, come 2014.

I don't get it. The post I was referring to said Jefferson's contract will screw the team next season, which couldn't be farther from the truth.

temujin
01-23-2010, 03:47 PM
I don't get it. The post I was referring to said Jefferson's contract will screw the team next season, which couldn't be farther from the truth.

Jefferson is screwing the team NOW.
Big time.
He is the ultimate anti-spur.
And even more next season, with ginobili gone.
The FO had a chance for a last run, and they blew it with this guy (plus McDyess).

HarlemHeat37
01-23-2010, 03:53 PM
Yes, the Spurs defense sucks because of Richard Jefferson..the coach plays small-ball because of Richard Jefferson..the Spurs have no interior D because of Richard Jefferson..the Spurs don't have a legit 2nd big because of Richard Jefferson..Parker and Manu haven't been themselves because of Richard Jefferson..

The guy has been a disappointment, but there are much bigger problems on this team than Richard Jefferson..

Baseline
01-23-2010, 04:15 PM
Popovich is not an easy guy to play for, and I think this is the reason Manu may bolt.

Think about it - Manu could play for a guy like Adelman and do whatever he wants. He wouldn't be constrained at all. He could play loose and free, and be on the floor with Scola. Adelman is obviously a great coach if he that bunch playing that well.

This isn't just me saying this, by the way. On NBA-TV, Brent Barry described how players play "loose" for Adelman, whereas in San Antonio it's not hat way. Obviously we know why.

temujin
01-23-2010, 04:45 PM
Yes, the Spurs defense sucks because of Richard Jefferson..the coach plays small-ball because of Richard Jefferson..the Spurs have no interior D because of Richard Jefferson..the Spurs don't have a legit 2nd big because of Richard Jefferson..Parker and Manu haven't been themselves because of Richard Jefferson..

The guy has been a disappointment, but there are much bigger problems on this team than Richard Jefferson..

No, there aren't.

Four on one, he goes or a weak dunk and gets blocked by Aaron frikking Brooks.

Enough said.

baseline bum
01-23-2010, 04:49 PM
Jefferson is screwing the team NOW.
Big time.
He is the ultimate anti-spur.
And even more next season, with ginobili gone.
The FO had a chance for a last run, and they blew it with this guy (plus McDyess).

Of course his contract is screwing the team now. I was clearly referring to next season. What's screwing Ginobili's chances to be back are his lackluster shooting, defense, and ability to be effective playing heavy minutes. Using Jefferson as a scape-goat for Manu's decline is weak.

ElNono
01-23-2010, 05:47 PM
Of course his contract is screwing the team now. I was clearly referring to next season. What's screwing Ginobili's chances to be back are his lackluster shooting, defense, and ability to be effective playing heavy minutes. Using Jefferson as a scape-goat for Manu's decline is weak.

Manu's decline was inevitable as much as Tim's decline is inevitable. That's exactly why we traded for RJ and Dice. To me, Tony's decline this season was the unexpected factor. But even then, you really can't attribute the sharp decline on defense on that alone, IMO.

LOL@MavsFan
01-23-2010, 06:41 PM
I smell bullshit

TheDarkSide.
01-23-2010, 08:19 PM
Send this thread to Manu?

senorglory
01-24-2010, 05:02 AM
Even beloved players like Hakeem and Ewing ended their careers with other teams.

tlongII
01-24-2010, 03:01 PM
Ginobili will probably sign with a team with a chance at the championship. Somebody like Portland.

temujin
01-24-2010, 07:22 PM
Ginobili will probably sign with a team with a chance at the championship. Somebody like Portland.

Portland?
portland is there to partecipate not to win.

jason1301
01-24-2010, 07:31 PM
Manu next to Lebron would siiiiick...

spurs2112
01-24-2010, 09:08 PM
I know people are probably gonna get butt hurt by this, but I would get rid of Pop before I'd get rid of Manu.

baseline bum
01-24-2010, 09:44 PM
Even beloved players like Hakeem and Ewing ended their careers with other teams.

Those two wrote their tickets out of town by insisting they should always be #1 options.