PDA

View Full Version : This win is on Pop.

TheWriter
04-27-2005, 09:39 PM
Let's see if the Pop haters have the balls to respond in this thread with some positive feedback.

Leetonidas
04-27-2005, 09:40 PM
I agree with you. Where are all the bandwagoners now? Stay off losers, but those of you who stuck with the Spurs, come in and celebrate.

Nikos
04-27-2005, 09:41 PM
Just win Game 3.

Cant_Be_Faded
04-27-2005, 09:42 PM
I disagree. Tim Duncan had a look of determination i have not seen for a loooong time. He is the sole reason we won this game.

He absolutely dominated in the first half, old school timmy style....
Then they zoned and doubled him in the second half, we had a brief offensive stagnation, but then resumed our thorough ass beating.

Duncan baby. Duncan.

whottt
04-27-2005, 09:42 PM
I agree...the Pop haters need to step up and give props...they know who they are!

Obstructed_View
04-27-2005, 09:43 PM
I have no problem with giving credit to Duncan, so long as you say the loss of game 1 was on Duncan. I don't like the people that give credit to the players when the Spurs win and blame Pop when they lose.

cherylsteele
04-27-2005, 09:44 PM
They won't.....a loss is Pop's fault....but in a win he has nothing to do with it.

Spurminator
Pop adjusted well to this game, calling more "Made Basket" plays than last game. I thought he was calling way too many "Missed Basket" plays last game, particularly in the Fourth Quarter, but tonight he called far more "Made Basket" plays, and it paid off. Props to Pop.

Cant_Be_Faded
So long as you say the loss of game 1 was on Duncan. I don't like the people that give credit to the players when the Spurs win and blame Pop when they lose.

I'm too lazy to back this up with a link, but yes, i totally blamed duncan for game 1
it goes:

duncan > parker > pop in my book for game one blame

but thats exactly why i thought duncan would come through STRONG for us tonight, cuz he himself knew he had to have blown it in game 1

SpursWoman
04-27-2005, 09:45 PM
:lol @ Spurminator

Cant_Be_Faded
04-27-2005, 09:45 PM
They won't.....a loss is Pop's fault....but in a win he has nothing to do with it.

that is true

tonight its
Duncan > pop > parker > barry

Obstructed_View
04-27-2005, 09:46 PM
I'm too lazy to back this up with a link, but yes, i totally blamed duncan for game 1
it goes:

duncan > parker > pop in my book for game one blame

but thats exactly why i thought duncan would come through STRONG for us tonight, cuz he himself knew he had to have blown it in game 1
Sorry, I didn't mean you in particular, just the people in general that do that.

Dre_7
04-27-2005, 09:49 PM
Pop adjusted well to this game, calling more "Made Basket" plays than last game. I thought he was calling way too many "Missed Basket" plays last game, particularly in the Fourth Quarter, but tonight he called far more "Made Basket" plays, and it paid off. Props to Pop.

:lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao
AWESOME!

SpursFanDan
04-27-2005, 09:54 PM
Pops known for getting on the players asses after a loss.. saying that they played soft, or have no heart. we knew pop wasnt going to let the team get away with that weak play in game one. so i agree with you.. some of it was pops doing.. but the team played great.

KEDA
04-27-2005, 10:19 PM
I liked the fact that when up by 32 he still had the starters in the game

this was more like it!

ShoogarBear
04-27-2005, 10:23 PM
Props. Starting Barry was a risky move on the surface, but on the other hand the Spurs have really had no rotation chemistry for about four weeks now because of injuries, so it really didn't mess things up.

The TNT guys also said that Pop wanted less motion offense and more "hard cuts". I'm not sure if I didn't know what the hell they were talking about or they didn't know.

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-27-2005, 10:51 PM
Howabout this..l. If you guys will admit Pop fucked up in the fourth the other night (which he did), I'll give him his props for tonight (which he deserves).

Conversly, if the other night was all the fault of the players, then they deserve all the credit tonight.

Speak up Popsuckers, you know who you are.

whottt
04-27-2005, 10:53 PM
BS Aggie...

Tonights performance by Barry proves he wouldn't have made an impact in the 4th quarter on Sunday! This proves Pop was right.

And furthermore...the series is over...split with Denver on our own home court = A won series! Total victory! It's ovah! The Nuggets are defeated. Bring on the Sonics!

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-27-2005, 10:56 PM
Not to mention we all know we can count on our guards to shoot 60% from three every night :lol

I love the hypocrisy by the resident short bus crew. When we weren't making shots the other night, it was all on the players. But they hit their shots tonight, and it's just more proof of Pop's greatness.

The only thing consistent with Buddy Holly and the Short Yellow Bus Brigade is their inconsistency.

stéphane
04-27-2005, 10:56 PM
whottt why can we find the word "barry" in all your posts whatever the subject is?
:p

whottt
04-27-2005, 10:57 PM
You can't...but why is Parker always in every post you make?

stéphane
04-27-2005, 11:02 PM
You can't...but why is Parker always in every post you make?
i was just teasing but Parker is only in 60% of my posts...
and i mainly talk about him because i have -as a french- more infos about him than you guys have... it's called desperetly trying to contribute. I try not to speak about a thing i dont know much about. Maybe a smarter choice than having 5 times more posts and keep throwing useless takes.
But funny how the discussion was on Pop and you come back strong arguing about a thing that concerns barry. was not critisizing just having fun :p

Spurminator
04-27-2005, 11:04 PM
Plenty of hypocrisy on both sides. Selective bitching and selective props. It's what makes this board great.

polandprzem
04-27-2005, 11:45 PM
It is always like : coaches looses games and players wining them.

whottt
04-28-2005, 12:12 AM
i was just teasing but Parker is only in 60% of my posts...
Your av says otherwise.

and i mainly talk about him because i have -as a french- more infos about him than you guys have... it's called desperetly trying to contribute. I try not to speak about a thing i dont know much about. Maybe a smarter choice than having 5 times more posts and keep throwing useless takes.
But funny how the discussion was on Pop and you come back strong arguing about a thing that concerns barry. was not critisizing just having fun :p

I was pissed at Barry too...I just thought he should have been played in the 4th and he wasn't the reason we lost. I don't usually bring him up, but I do defend him when people call him heartless...because it's a lame criticism.

Barry and the criticism of Pop in game 1 go hand in hand...because he didn't play Barry in the 4th...and that was when we lost the game...

And it's lame to justify his not being played by saying he was 0-2 in 19 minutes...he was 1-5 in that Phoenix game until the final 2 minutes. He's played well in the 4th qaurter all season.

whottt
04-28-2005, 12:16 AM
IF this game had been a down to the wire game where Pop's decision making was a huge factor...I probably would give him more credit.

But this was a blowout against a Denver team who had already gotten what they wanted...

This was a game where the players just rolled.

Pop never had to make crucial decisions down the stretch...but I'd be willing to bet he's going to have to in Denver...and I hope he makes better decisions down the stretch than he did in game 1 if that happens.

wildbill2u
04-28-2005, 01:51 PM
Let's see if the Pop haters have the balls to respond in this thread with some positive feedback.

I love POP. He has confidence in himself and his decisions, right or wrong and the team respects him and is willing to go along. I know they must wonder sometimes at his rotations but you never hear a word from the team members against Pop's coaching decisisons or system. That says a lot.

As does his record over the years--not just one occasional game.

Some of our experts ought to take a lesson from the team.

T Park
04-28-2005, 01:52 PM
Notice Whottt doesn't do it.

Heaven forbid.

MadDog73
04-28-2005, 02:07 PM
All of you are losers! :lol (j/k)

The problem with putting all the blame, or all the credit on one person is it negates the whole Spurs winning concept: They are a team. They sometimes lose as a team, and they WIN as a team.

BUT, if you want to look at Specifics of what individuals did to help turn around an embarrassing loss on Sunday:

Pop starts Barry over Manu. The kind of Ballsy move some Pop-haters were calling for. As for Pop not being able to win close games, well, if you coach well enough from the start, you don't have to! :)

Tim back in groove. Although still not 100%, it's pretty obvious Tim is back, both from his play AND his leadership ability (like when he huddled everyone at the start of the 3rd when the Nuggets were on a roll, and told everyone "Move the ball, move the ball").

Tony Parker: Let's not forget about the guy who took MOST of the media blame for Sunday's loss, even though he actually played pretty good in the first game (about same shooting % and same assists, but less turnovers and less minutes in the second).

I could go on and on about every player who stepped up, but that's the point:

The TEAM lost on Sunday. The TEAM won last night.

If the TEAM can stay together and play like that every night, then this series is over in 5.

vanvannen
04-28-2005, 02:09 PM
It's funny how everyone can use the same argument and change it depending on which side they are. I said Pop should be blamed for not making anything happen in the 4th of game 1 when the players couldn't buy a basket and now the Popsuckers are saying this win is on him, for making changes. Now, If TD shot 30% in game 1 and 70% in game 2 the win is on Pop???? (of course, according to the Popsuckers game 1 lost was on the players...)
C'mon man! I said Pop fucked up in game 1 and still feel the same way, and I really don't think he did anything special (but benching Manu, the only starter that played decently in game 1). I say the players played better (of course the HAD to) and we would have still won this game if Hedo and Charlie Ward were here.

MadDog73
04-28-2005, 02:10 PM
So, Pop had nothing to do with it then? :rolleyes

If coaches don't matter, then how come the T-Wolves aren't in the Playoffs?

If it's just about the Players, how could the same TEAM that lost on Sunday, win by 28 last night? Everyone played a roll in that, including Pop.

Teams don't just coach themselves.

tekdragon
04-28-2005, 02:10 PM
IF this game had been a down to the wire game where Pop's decision making was a huge factor...I probably would give him more credit.

But this was a blowout against a Denver team who had already gotten what they wanted...

This was a game where the players just rolled.

Pop never had to make crucial decisions down the stretch...but I'd be willing to bet he's going to have to in Denver...and I hope he makes better decisions down the stretch than he did in game 1 if that happens.

You're right, Pop never had to make crucial decisions down the stretch...because he made a crucial decision before the game that put us in that position. Who's idea do you think the starting lineup was? That worked ok, didn't it? It worked so damn well, that he could've napped through the second half. Yet you somehow still find a way to use his success as a tool to avoid giving him credit where it's due. Brilliant.

by the way, this:

I agree...the Pop haters need to step up and give props...they know who they are!

was fucking hilarious. :lmao

Oh yeah, I know I'm arriving late to this thread, but

Spurminator wins.

Well played!

vanvannen
04-28-2005, 02:17 PM
I'm not saying he had nothing to do with the win, I'm saying he is not f'cking perfect, I'm saying he MAKES MISTAKES and that he MADE A MISTAKE in the 4th of game 1.
It's not about loving or hating the guy, it's about realizing he is not a God. Of course he is a good coach, but let me ask you this:

Do you really think there is nothing he could have done during those 10 minutes when we went 0 for 17??

BigVee
04-28-2005, 02:23 PM
Pop is who he is. He is very organized, great teacher of....team defense, discipline, playing hard, staying focussed, not making excuses...great eye for talent, etc. One of the best in the league, no doubt. But, not perfect, often inflexible, and he had a bad game Sunday. What's the difference between saying that and saying Manu Ginobili is a great basketball player, but makes some mistakes at times? You can criticize without jumping on and off a bandwagon, no?

tekdragon
04-28-2005, 02:24 PM
All of you are losers! :lol (j/k)

The problem with putting all the blame, or all the credit on one person is it negates the whole Spurs winning concept: They are a team. They sometimes lose as a team, and they WIN as a team.

BUT, if you want to look at Specifics of what individuals did to help turn around an embarrassing loss on Sunday:

Pop starts Barry over Manu. The kind of Ballsy move some Pop-haters were calling for. As for Pop not being able to win close games, well, if you coach well enough from the start, you don't have to! :)

Tim back in groove. Although still not 100%, it's pretty obvious Tim is back, both from his play AND his leadership ability (like when he huddled everyone at the start of the 3rd when the Nuggets were on a roll, and told everyone "Move the ball, move the ball").

Tony Parker: Let's not forget about the guy who took MOST of the media blame for Sunday's loss, even though he actually played pretty good in the first game (about same shooting % and same assists, but less turnovers and less minutes in the second).

I could go on and on about every player who stepped up, but that's the point:

The TEAM lost on Sunday. The TEAM won last night.

If the TEAM can stay together and play like that every night, then this series is over in 5.
Strong post, MadDog.

...we would have still won this game if Hedo and Charlie Ward were here.

Are we talking about the same Hedo and Charlie Ward? As in Hedo "<HITA" Turkoglu and Charlie "my jumper's as good as Rodman's" Ward?

Those guys were the kiss of death (at least playing for the Spurs). They would've had a tough time beating the Harlandale Middle School Girls squad.

vanvannen
04-28-2005, 02:26 PM
Pop is who he is. He is very organized, great teacher of....team defense, discipline, playing hard, staying focussed, not making excuses...great eye for talent, etc. One of the best in the league, no doubt. But, not perfect, often inflexible, and he had a bad game Sunday. What's the difference between saying that and saying Manu Ginobili is a great basketball player, but makes some mistakes at times? You can criticize without jumping on and off a bandwagon, no?

Thank you, that is exactly my point. :elephant

vanvannen
04-28-2005, 02:27 PM
Strong post, MadDog.

Are we talking about the same Hedo and Charlie Ward? As in Hedo "<HITA" Turkoglu and Charlie "my jumper's as good as Rodman's" Ward?

Those guys were the kiss of death (at least playing for the Spurs). They would've had a tough time beating the Harlandale Middle School Girls squad.

tekdragon, I was being sarcastic. :spin

Useruser666
04-28-2005, 02:28 PM
I'd like to add to Spurm's post and mention Pop particularly calling for more "made" 3 point plays. Calling more of those plays allowed Duncan to recieve more "made" inside plays.

whottt
04-28-2005, 02:32 PM
Notice Whottt doesn't do it.

Heaven forbid.

TPark, what do you want me to do? Nominate Pop for COY for splitting with a 7 seed at home? BS. It's a negative, not a postive.

And guess what? Denver has a very real physical advantage on their home court, in addition to the mental and technical advantage all teams have on their home court...It's(choking that first very winnable game) just short of a total season ending disaster. It still might be...I happen to think it will be.

You want me to all of sudden forget Pop went the final 5 minutes without a substitution change in a winnable game in which we ended up choking away the HCA we'd played all season for?

Guess what? Barry is shooting better than anyone on the team in the final 5 minutes of the game...no matter how crappy he has played in the previous 43 minutes. He's better in the 4th period. It's inexcusable that he didn't get to play and if it happens again in that type of game, we will lose again, like we have all season long. And Big Dogg is here to hit shots...if Barry's not an alternative then why isn't Robinson, if only for one play?

Sorry, not happy, not satisfied, don't believe. And I said winning this game would not make a difference...

What, if we had lost you would consider that satisfactory? You must if you think splitting is exceeding or even meeting expectations or deserving of props. My lack of faith in Pop is just that...a lack of faith in his offensive decision making...he has more control over wins and losses with this team than any other person...and if he leaves proven talent on the bench when we need points, and we lose due to an inability to score, he has to be held accountable.

Solid D
04-28-2005, 02:39 PM

:rollin :rollin :rollin @ Spurminator

Meanwhile, I'm going to the store to pick myself up a jar of that good, meat-based dressing.

T Park
04-28-2005, 02:44 PM
^^^ lol@ Solid D, I love that commercial too.

Phonzie20
04-28-2005, 02:45 PM
Just win Game 3.

no ;)

MadDog73
04-28-2005, 02:54 PM
What, if we had lost you would consider that satisfactory? You must if you think splitting is exceeding or even meeting expectations or deserving of props. My lack of faith in Pop is just that...a lack of faith in his offensive decision making...he has more control over wins and losses with this team than any other person...and if he leaves proven talent on the bench when we need points, and we lose due to an inability to score, he has to be held accountable.

But we DIDN'T lose... that's the whole point, whottt.

I'm surprised, I thought you of all people would be happy with Pop making a ballsy change to the starting line-up, a change that worked.

I'm sure Pop would love to go back in time and put in someone else besides Tim and Tony to win Game 1. But if he did that and he lost, wouldn't you still be bitchin'?

If Pop "must be held accountable" for losses, then he also deserves credit for wins, esp. 28 pt wins against a Nuggets team that was supposed to be prepared for the "wounded animal" Spurs.

Pop > Karl, no doubt. Whether he deserves Coach of the year, remains to be seen. He needs to beat a VanGundy or D'Antoni and either another VanGundy or Larry Brown before he gets true credit.

tekdragon
04-28-2005, 03:23 PM
vanvannen,

Yeah, but I can never pass an opportunity to bash Hedo and Ward. Especially Hedo. When we got him I was so excited, but he turned out to be crap. One of my alltime biggest disappointments. He showed so much promise with Sacramento.

Charlie Ward just sucked. He was so bad, he made me miss Uwe Blab.

Dex
04-28-2005, 03:26 PM
At least he wasn't Anthony 'Trillion' Carter?

vanvannen
04-28-2005, 03:37 PM
vanvannen,

Yeah, but I can never pass an opportunity to bash Hedo and Ward. Especially Hedo. When we got him I was so excited, but he turned out to be crap. One of my alltime biggest disappointments. He showed so much promise with Sacramento.

Charlie Ward just sucked. He was so bad, he made me miss Uwe Blab.

Sorry Tek, my mistake. :lol
BTW, totally agree. :smokin

Fouled Out
04-28-2005, 03:48 PM
I saw in Game 2 it was best to start Barry then Manu, Manu is slash a starter/bench. That is AWESOME!!!!!! You don't know where he is coming from and I know other teams sre looking for him like a shark. WHERE IS HE WHERE DID HE GO!!!!!!! hahaha...... GINOOOOOOBLI!!!!!! . It was a good move by Pop to call a timeout about 3 minutes into the 3rd. The Spurs were slacking a little and I am glad he saw that real quick.

cherylsteele
04-28-2005, 03:59 PM
Howabout this..l. If you guys will admit Pop fucked up in the fourth the other night (which he did), I'll give him his props for tonight (which he deserves).

Conversly, if the other night was all the fault of the players, then they deserve all the credit tonight.

Speak up Popsuckers, you know who you are.

Game 1 was on both the players and Pop....for not having the right combo for the situation and players for just stinking up the 4th quarter.

50 cent
04-28-2005, 04:58 PM
LMAO

This is the post of the week for sure.

Aggie Hoopsfan
04-28-2005, 06:41 PM
So, Pop had nothing to do with it then?

Mad Dog,

If Pop didn't have anything to do with our play in the fourth in game 1, he didn't have anything to do with our win last night.

The Poplovers want it both ways, but it doesn't work like that.

ALVAREZ6
04-28-2005, 06:44 PM
This win is on Manu.

ChumpDumper
04-28-2005, 06:51 PM
Pop definitely should have played one or more of Barry/Horry/GRob after the last time out -- no guarantee of a win though.

ShoogarBear
04-28-2005, 07:08 PM
This win is on Manu.

Manu? That BENCHWARMER????

ALVAREZ6
04-28-2005, 07:10 PM
Manu? That BENCHWARMER????
Manu the benchwarmer indeed.