PDA

View Full Version : Post Game Quotes (Rockets Game)

duncan228
01-23-2010, 12:29 AM
Post Game Quotes (http://www.nba.com/spurs/gameday/100122.html)

Spurs Head Coach Gregg Popovich

On the Spurs defense - “You got to play a lick of defense if you want to win in this league. Our defense against Utah and against Houston was very poor. 60 points in the second half against Utah and 61 in the second half tonight. That’s not going to win basketball games. It looks like the effort and all that sort of thing is great, but way too many mistakes…not enough focus…not enough execution. We’re scoring enough points to win games. We’re scoring more points than we’ve ever scored in our lives, but our defense is really sub-par and it’s killing us.”

George Hill

On their second-half defensive struggles in the last two games - “I can’t my finger on it but we’re trying. You can’t always stop someone but you can make it difficult and we’re just in that phase where things aren’t going our way right now. We’re going to keep pounding at it and hopefully the tides turn.”

On their lack of focus on defense right now - “We’re going to come out and keep trying to get better and keep improving. It’s just not one person. I think it’s all of us. That’s where it starts; to hold each other accountable and get better every day.”

On not getting the win when Tim gets his 20,000th point - “[It’s disappointing]. He deserves it. He’s been through a lot and he deserves the best and we’re trying to give it to him. Things didn’t come out our way. He understands that’s basketball and you’re going to have your ups and downs. We’re just having a down right now. We’re going to pick it up and hopefully get back on track.”

Richard Jefferson

On his runner in the lane compared to the one against Oklahoma City - “That one was to put us up by one. This one tonight was to keep giving us a chance. I don’t how many games this is in a row where we’ve had double-digit leads and haven’t been able to come out with a victory, but we’re just not sustaining it for 48 minutes. That’s what Popovich is so [upset] about. That’s what Pop has been preaching. I particularly haven’t been playing as well as I would like. Everyone kind of has to look in the mirror and try and step it up.”

On if the team is struggling to come together - “A little bit, yes and no. We all know at this point in time, being professionals, what’s expected of us…where we need to be…the things that coach expects from us. We know the things that it’s going to take for us to be successful as a team. There’s no excuses. There’s no, ‘we’re still trying to learn each other’ or any of that. You’re dealing with that in the first 25-30 games of the season, but at this point in time we know what it takes to be successful.”

On their second-half defensive problems lately - “We gotta play better. There’s no foul trouble. There’s no injuries. We’re healthy. Pop does a good job of keep us rested. There’s not a fatigue factor. We just have to play better and when I say that I’m starting with myself.”

Rick Adelman

On the game - “Great game, they put up a fight as it was just a real solid win.”

On having a defensive hold on the Spurs in the second half - “They‘re a real handful as they‘ve been together for so long. They spot up their shooters very well and they hurt us in the fourth quarter with Duncan and Parker, but that’s happened before to other teams too. The big thing was we kept scoring at the other end and kept the distance from them as I think our team collectively came out and wanted to play a solid game. We haven’t had a big road win in a while so this is a good place to get one. ”

On the athleticism of Houston's point guards - “Our two little point guards are really tough. We play them together as they‘re hard to guard as both can penetrate and both can get to the basket. Kyle shot the ball well tonight as Aaron was terrific down the stretch.”

On Tim Duncan's 20,000-point milestone tonight - “He‘s a great player as I‘ve watched him enough and played against him enough to know that he‘s a terrific player. He has 20,000 points and really doesn‘t even work at it.”

On if things would have been different if Chuck Hayes would have stayed in the game - “I was just going to stick to whatever was happening. We got down as it was a matter of back and forth as I liked Carl out there. Carl made some big plays and got down towards the basket as I thought he was doing a decent job. Like I said before, those two guys are tough in the pick-and-roll.”

Kyle Lowry

On the game - “This was a good win for our team. We had a good couple of days at practice and it all came together. This was a huge win for us and we really needed it.”

On the upcoming games - “We have to continue to play hard and support our second unit when they are on the floor. We know our team has been struggling so picked the pace up a little tonight.”

On the team's play - “Tonight was a really good game and it allowed Aaron Brooks and me the opportunity to push the tempo. We had a lot of good things from tonight’s game. We took advantage of opportunities in the paint and capitalized on the speed of Aaron and me. This team makes plays when we get in the paint.”

Shane Battier

On the game - “Just when you think our team is headed into the lions den we have a great performance like we did tonight. With our recent play most people thought this would be and easy victory for the Spurs and it really seemed that way in the first quarter. I have to credit our bench and the play of Kyle Lowery for turning the tide of the game. We really fought hard and played aggressively in the second half for the fist time in awhile. We really pushed the ball more tonight. I think we are at our best when we attack the defense and the shot clock. We took a lot of lose three point attempts verses contested threes. We really pushed each other tonight and focused on taking early shots.”

On the Spurs defense - “The Spurs defense is unbelievable especially with T. Duncan in the middle. Brooks did a great job protecting the paint tonight especially late in the game.”

On winning in San Antonio - “The Spurs are always going to be a tough team. Tim is always going to be Tim, Manu is going to be Manu and Tony’s going to be Tony. The pieces around them may change but they are still very well coached and they execute. To beat the Spurs especially in San Antonio you have to play well. You can’t bring your “B” game to San Antonio and expect to win.”

timaios
01-23-2010, 12:34 AM
Shane Battier “The Spurs defense is unbelievable"

:lmao:lmao:lmao

Very funny Shane, very funny !

DPG21920
01-23-2010, 12:36 AM
Shane you little bastard.

Libri
01-23-2010, 12:36 AM
“You got to play a lick of defense if you want to win in this league. Our defense against Utah and against Houston was very poor. 60 points in the second half against Utah and 61 in the second half tonight. That’s not going to win basketball games."

Obstructed_View
01-23-2010, 12:38 AM
Does anyone in San Antonio have the balls to actually ask the coach a follow-up question when he sticks his chin out on a quote like that?

HarlemHeat37
01-23-2010, 12:39 AM
LOL the most annoying parts about these post-game quotes is when the opponent talks about the Spurs like we're still a great team..please, stop..

HarlemHeat37
01-23-2010, 12:39 AM
Does anyone in San Antonio have the balls to actually ask the coach a follow-up question when he sticks his chin out on a quote like that?

Well..there's Pop's mailbag:rollin..

alchemist
01-23-2010, 12:40 AM

:lol

Obstructed_View
01-23-2010, 12:41 AM
Well..there's Pop's mailbag:rollin..

How do I send a question to that?

Libri
01-23-2010, 12:41 AM

:lmao

Shastafarian
01-23-2010, 12:42 AM

Nope.

"Coach, could that have anything to do with your refusal to get away from 'small ball' for extended periods of the game?"

ElNono
01-23-2010, 12:42 AM
Well, we gave up 28 pts in the 1st quarter and 27 in the 2nd. So it was horrible defense for the complete 48 minutes really...

DPG21920
01-23-2010, 12:47 AM
I agree OV, it would be great for someone to bring up some of these old quotes and question Pop.

Show him the small ball statistic and then his quote about "we tried a few things that did not work and now we are going back..."

duncan228
01-23-2010, 12:49 AM
How do I send a question to that?

spursdotcom has been announcing when they take questions. There have been two, the third hasn't been announced yet.

First Edition:

http://www.nba.com/spurs/features/pop_mailbag_0912.html

Second Edition:

http://www.nba.com/spurs/features/pop_mailbag_1001.html

Sean Cagney
01-23-2010, 12:52 AM
LOL the most annoying parts about these post-game quotes is when the opponent talks about the Spurs like we're still a great team..please, stop..

Yes I agree, they were and a title team, but they are not that title team now nor the D team of the past, they are not great there so please STOP IT!

Reeko_Htown
01-23-2010, 12:52 AM

Shane is just a class act. He's like our Bowen but not a dirty.

Bukefal
01-23-2010, 07:08 AM

LOL, well we are. They respect us, something that we should do a bit more, even when they are losing and playing like crap in some games. It isnt over you know. You all react like its the end of freakin' world.

Yeah, something should change, they should step up, on the defense, on losing leads etc.. But come on, it isn't over.

siraulo23
01-23-2010, 07:35 AM
Post Game Quotes (http://www.nba.com/spurs/gameday/100122.html)

Shane Battier

On the Spurs defense - “The Spurs defense is unbelievable especially with T. Duncan in the middle. Brooks did a great job protecting the paint tonight especially late in the game.”

/sarcasm, no mention of anyone else
he was so surprised how shitty it was

mystargtr34
01-23-2010, 08:12 AM
I love Shane Battier. He has Spur written all over him.

Danny.Zhu
01-23-2010, 08:31 AM

Shane is the man. We should trade for him.

I'm fine with RJ+Dyess for Shane+Yao......

Danny.Zhu
01-23-2010, 08:31 AM
/sarcasm, no mention of anyone else
he was so surprised how shitty it was

Totally agreed.

jermaine
01-23-2010, 08:41 AM

I know right! Ask his ass why do you keep playing these 6'9 guys alone side Timmy an you preach Defense!

spurs10
01-23-2010, 12:53 PM
Any thoughts from anyone why a 7 ft, athletic kid is riding the bench loss after loss? Ian has looked good the couple of minutes he's played. Why is he there if he's not good enough to play in the NBA. TD is alone in the paint and everybody's got our number.

Ed Helicopter Jones
01-23-2010, 01:01 PM
"The Spurs defense is unbelievable especially with T. Duncan in the middle. How can a team with one of the best defensive post players in the history of the game be so crappy at making stops? It's unbelievable!"

I just wanted to fill in the rest of it for Shane.