PDA

View Full Version : Treyarch and Call of Duty. Next Stop Vietnam?

symple19
01-23-2010, 06:01 AM
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/technology/2010/01/07/call-of-duty-next-stop-vietnam-plus-infinity-ward-not-developing-modern-warfare-3-115875-21950004/

Call of Duty’s rumour mill has suddenly kicked into life with two titbits about the future of the guns, guts and glory franchise. There’s talk of a Vietnam War based Call Of Duty due this year and rumours that Infinity Ward won’t develop Modern Warfare 3.

Modern Warfare 2 was an entertainment juggernaut, creating controversy and massive sales but VG247 is claiming that developer Infinity Ward has moved onto “something completely new”. It claims a source recruits games developers.

Infinity Ward has made no statements about its next project is. Modern Warfare 2 DLC packs were announced yesterday for release this spring, initially as Xbox 360 exclusives.

If Infinity Ward does drop its association with Modern Warfare, there are strong indications that Sledgehammer Studios, a San Francisco based developer, could pick up the baton. It recently advertised for a multiplayer designer with experience of working on console and PC based shooters.

Meanwhile gaming sites are a quiver with rumours that the next instalment of the main Call of Duty series, developed by Treyarch, will be Call of Duty: Vietnam. It’s suggested that the story will focus on the story of individual members of an American platoon during the Vietnam War.

It’s thought that Call Of Duty: Vietnam will take its inspiration from war movies like Apocalypse Now and Full Metal Jacket. Last month the developer put up a job ad seeking a Call of Duty level designer able to use historical research while Activision explored licensing a soundtrack of Vietnam war era rock’n’roll last year.

If true, this would be awesome. Treyarch needs to restore some dignity to the COD franchise, but tackling Vietnam is no easy task.

I also sincerely hope IW is done. They can go fuck themselves for all I care.

leemajors
01-23-2010, 08:55 AM
Soldier of Fortune 2 in Colombia was pretty awesome.

baseline bum
01-23-2010, 03:19 PM
I hope there's a My Lai mission.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/4/4d/Deadmanandchild.jpg/800px-Deadmanandchild.jpg

symple19
01-23-2010, 05:13 PM
I hope there's a My Lai mission.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/4/4d/Deadmanandchild.jpg/800px-Deadmanandchild.jpg

:lol what a heartwarming image BB

What about playing as a VC/NVA and getting to slaughter innocents in Hue during TET???

Somehow I think that if they do a level along the lines of the airport mission in MW2, it won't be based on real events that could pry open some very raw emotional wounds. I would guess they would do something totally fictional, yet within the realm of possibility. In that crazy, misguided war, just about anything was possible.

baseline bum
01-23-2010, 05:35 PM
There should also be a stage where you get to spray Agent Orange all over South Vietnamese peasants.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/2/21/Agent-orange-deformities-vietnam.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/99/A_vietnamese_Professor_is_pictured_with_a_group_of _handicapped_children.jpg

symple19
01-23-2010, 06:08 PM
I can't help it...I lol'd

BlackSwordsMan
01-23-2010, 11:17 PM
fuck cod
it became shit after cod 4

baseline bum
01-23-2010, 11:42 PM
Or what about the atomic radiation from Japan!!!! There is horrid shit from every war.

So does this rationalization also apply to 9-11 victims murdered in cold blood? I mean, war's hell, right?

BlackSwordsMan
01-24-2010, 12:00 AM
fify

I've heard that from other people as well

Whisky Dog
01-24-2010, 02:26 PM
So does this rationalization also apply to 9-11 victims murdered in cold blood? I mean, war's hell, right?

Yep. It's kill or be killed. Unfortunately.

baseline bum
01-24-2010, 04:48 PM
If we're going to have COD Vietnam, might as well make the sequel COD Injun War.

z0sa
01-24-2010, 05:56 PM
"It’s thought that Call Of Duty: Vietnam will take its inspiration from war movies like Apocalypse Now and Full Metal Jacket."

Don't go out on a limb or anything.

resistanze
01-24-2010, 06:28 PM
I was hoping they would kill off this franchise after MW2.

z0sa
01-24-2010, 07:40 PM
I was hoping they would kill off this franchise after MW2.

Way too many dollars involved for that.

And its funny - where are all the 'lol treyarch/waw' comments? I was thinking about about how I predicted MW2 would be very similar to MW except with an updated gfx engine, and how Treyarch has just as much a stamp on the series as IW and is actually much better at putting out extra content and supporting their fans, and how I was blasted for both ideas. Fast forward, IW successfully ends up fucking over all of their original fans and then some, puts out a very similar product to previous incarnations, and Treyarch is slated to develop the next CoD game.

symple19
01-24-2010, 07:41 PM

And its funny - where are all the 'lol treyarch/waw' comments? I was thinking about about how I predicted MW2 would be very similar to MW except with an updated gfx engine, and how Treyarch has just as much a stamp on the series as IW and is actually much better at putting out extra content and supporting their fans, and how I was blasted for both ideas. Fast forward, IW successfully ends up fucking over all of their original fans and then some, puts out a very similar product to previous incarnations, and Treyarch is slated to develop the next CoD game. :blah

lol IW :toast

balli
01-24-2010, 07:44 PM
puts out a very similar product to previous incarnations
Are you kidding me? mw2 isn't even a cod game. WaW has more in common with cod4 than mw2 does. You think everybody's issue is that they think mw2 didn't do enough to be different? It's a radical fucking departure from everything cod4 did right. Not similar at all. Might as well be a different franchise.

z0sa
01-24-2010, 08:00 PM
Just :rolleyes to that whole response. I'm not gonna judge here but I know from other responses you are disappointed in MW2, and your dislike is apparent.

I mean, WTF is so different about it?

The most radical change you can possibly mention is the killstreak rewards - and IW just expanded upon what they already here. For example, the Harrier is simply a combination of the Chopper and Airstrike from 4.

You can shoot down any plane probably the most radical change they made IMO. Shooting down recons can change a game completely.

The campaign still isn't co-op which still pisses me off. I mean, why have a gamemode composed mostly of scenarios from missions for 2 players instead of just combining all that into the coop campaign? Once you beat them in the actual campaign, it could unlock them for later 'scenario gametype' usage. What's funniest here is WaW has it and MW2 still didn't include a true coop campaign.

It's the exact same game modes online, with the exact same leveling system (70 instead of 55 now) plus some artwork to individualize yourself. Same as 4.

The guns are all upgradeable with an assortment of attachments, but this is once again expanded from a previous incarnation's build.

There are no pilotable vehicles like WaW. Which also means are the maps are around medium sized on average (compared with similar FPS games). Both just like 4.

What's so different?

balli
01-24-2010, 08:20 PM
You're being dumb again. I don't have time to write a list now, but I've yet to see a post at iw.net imploring IW to make MORE changes. I'm yet to hear somebody bitch about something they DIDN'T add to the game.

I mean really, I'm not gonna hold your hand. Between a litany of new, bullshit and/or malfunctioning perks, to the shitty maps, to 30 new killstreaks, to the augmentations in gameplay made to satiate noobs and Halo fanboys, to the fact that the game is a broken mess of glitches, to just the way it looks and feels graphically, if you can't see how different (for the worse) this game is, then shit, that's on you.

IW didn't do enough different? :lmao at that. They basically broke the game by trying to do way too much.

z0sa
01-24-2010, 08:25 PM
Nicely done with the incredibly vague examples there. "It just feels wrong!!" You're the one who needs his hand held. The game is fundamentally the same in almost every regard and there's little argument against it.

balli
01-24-2010, 08:27 PM
In addition- you seem to think that I wanted iw to change the product??? Why??? I loved cod4. I was basically hoping mw2 would be nothing more than a huge map pack for cod4. I wanted a theater ala Bungie and I wanted to be able to choose the direction my airstrikes came in from. That's about it.

z0sa
01-24-2010, 08:28 PM
Just because you are obsessed with MW1 doesn't mean the rest of the world is being paid to stand still. Let me tie this in with my earlier arguments, and with IW's obvious knowledge of you and a million others inclinations toward MW1: if you look at the game objectively, it's fundamentally the same, only expanded. They simply expanded everything. You can point to almost any of the game's features and say the same.

balli
01-24-2010, 08:29 PM
Nicely done with the incredibly vague examples there. "It just feels wrong!!" You're the one who needs his hand held. The game is fundamentally the same in almost every regard and there's little argument against it.

You're so stupid. The controls are the same. That's it.

Vague examples? I can't even begin to list all the new bullshit this game failed at implementing as literally every new feature they added is broken or ridiculous. You want specifics? Turn the game on and figure it out. EVERYTHING is different.

z0sa
01-24-2010, 08:33 PM
You're so stupid.

Is this the best you've got?

Vague examples? I can't even begin to list all the new bullshit this game failed at implementing

Why not?

resistanze
01-24-2010, 08:38 PM

And its funny - where are all the 'lol treyarch/waw' comments? I was thinking about about how I predicted MW2 would be very similar to MW except with an updated gfx engine, and how Treyarch has just as much a stamp on the series as IW and is actually much better at putting out extra content and supporting their fans, and how I was blasted for both ideas. Fast forward, IW successfully ends up fucking over all of their original fans and then some, puts out a very similar product to previous incarnations, and Treyarch is slated to develop the next CoD game.

Smack talk and jokes aside, I hope no one seriously pledges allegiance to companies that develop consoles/games. Lady Gaga could develop the next COD - I'd play it if it was awesome. I loved MW, wasn't into WaW, and haven't been into MW2. I hope all the hype from this last game finally dried out their cash cow.

z0sa
01-24-2010, 08:45 PM
^ I agree. People pledging allegiance to IW over Treyarch caused IW to have an overinflated ego and put out a incomplete product IMO. I love the fact two developers are working on this series alternatively. A little competition is always good, as well.

balli
01-24-2010, 08:47 PM
Is this the best you've got?

Why not?
Because I'm watching the Vikings game.

If you can't figure out why something like the one man army/danger close combo is a game changer, just by itself, thrn I'm not going to explain the million other examples of gamechangers to you either. I'm sorry I said you were stupid. I should have said you were being stupid. Nevertheless, that's my contention.

DisAsTerBot
01-25-2010, 09:55 AM
If you can't figure out why something like the one man army/danger close combo is a game changer, just by itself, thrn I'm not going to explain the million other examples of gamechangers to you either. I'm sorry I said you were stupid. I should have said you were being stupid. Nevertheless, that's my contention.

seriously? everyone bitches about dudes using exploits.....but how often do you encounter em???? I can count on one hand the people ive seen who are obviously exploiting.

balli
01-25-2010, 11:16 AM
seriously? everyone bitches about dudes using exploits.....but how often do you encounter em???? I can count on one hand the people ive seen who are obviously exploiting.
All the time. Everytime I play. God forbid I ever get into a private chat match again, because literally, there was boosting in every single game.

And I'm not bitching about exploits really. I'm just saying IW added a ton of new shit. Most of it non-functional. Zosa's contention is that this game failed for not doing enough different from, y'know, its predecessor. I'm saying that it's entirely different, not least of all in the quality department. Exploits are just the symptom of the problem- the problem being that IW tried to change the gameplay to the point they destroyed what it was in the original- and obviously in the process, got in over their heads, couldn't even make it work.

resistanze
01-25-2010, 11:26 AM
Once I couldn't join a match with friends without the game lagging out 75% of the time, my interest in the game died.

MiamiHeat
01-25-2010, 11:36 AM
why the bashing on Infinity ward?

they are awesome

z0sa
01-25-2010, 11:52 AM
Zosa's contention is that this game failed for not doing enough different from, y'know, its predecessor.

No. I never compared the game with any other game in terms of overall quality, or stated that it failed.

balli
01-25-2010, 12:01 PM
No. I never compared the game with any other game in terms of overall quality, or stated that it failed.

Fast forward, IW successfully ends up fucking over all of their original fans and then some, puts out a very similar product to previous incarnations.

So 'fucking over all their original fans and then some' isn't a fail, huh?

z0sa
01-25-2010, 12:07 PM
So 'fucking over all their original fans and then some' isn't a fail, huh?

It's not a game play issue fail. Try and stay on topic.

Actually, don't. Your weakass arguments are the biggest fail in this topic. You are a fuckin cryin ass kid.

balli
01-25-2010, 12:09 PM
So how did IW 'fuck them over' if not from a gameplay standpoint? When you said it was very similar to previous incarnations, what were you talking about? The box art? The voice acting? What, if not the gameplay, was so similar? What, if not the gameplay, fucked us over?

z0sa
01-25-2010, 12:15 PM
I think you've got a few unanswered questions before I respond to any of your contentions. AFAIC, you honestly don't have a clue because you're overly obsessed with 4. Essentially every single argument you made is a baseless opinion and insulting me. GFY dude. and I mean that from the heart.

balli
01-25-2010, 12:18 PM
I'm not trying to insult you. I just don't get the argument. I'm just trying to figure what you meant? If you don't want to answer, fine, but I'll still ask again:

So how did IW 'fuck them over' if not from a gameplay standpoint? When you said it was very similar to previous incarnations, what were you talking about? The box art? The voice acting? What, if not the gameplay, was so similar? What, if not the gameplay, fucked us over?

The Gemini Method
01-25-2010, 01:23 PM
Call of Duty: War of 1812...

resistanze
01-25-2010, 03:22 PM
Call of Duty: War of 1812...

Burning down the White House would be pretty cool.

sabar
01-27-2010, 01:18 AM
Has the potential to be very good. Vietnam was very different. Guerrilla warfare in particular has the potential to grasp some of the horror of war. If they do it right, you should be afraid to take that next step into the jungle or defend some random hill in the pitch black night.

ATRAIN
01-28-2010, 10:34 AM
Treyarch sucks. The only good thing they did was add Nazi Zombies.

ATRAIN
01-28-2010, 10:38 AM
I dont get the hate for IW. Yes online play is glitchy and has its faults but every game has that shit.

ynh
04-13-2010, 04:20 AM
"Call of Duty 7" will swing the franchise's spotlight away from Infinity Ward and put it back on Treyarch for a turn when game, potentially set in Vietnam, launches. In addition to tackling 'Nam, a new report says the game will be titled "Call of Duty: Black Ops" and return to dedicated servers for a November 2010 release.

Vietnam will be just one of numerous historical settings for "CoD7," including Cuba, South America and Iran, according to a report on MapModNews.com, which cites a story I can't immediately find from Tek9. The story seems a little suspect given the secondhand nature from unnamed sources, but with the number of details it contains, you should know that it's out there.

PC gamers in particular will be interested to know that dedicated servers are part of the rumor package now. "Modern Warfare 2" switched things up with a new matchmaking model that resulted in a heated online petition. Infinity Wards thinks many of those complainers showed up to play anyway, but they may pick up "Call of Duty 7" with a few more smiles if this leak turns out to be legit.

http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2010/03/29/call-of-duty-7-rumors-predict-black-ops-title-and-dedicated-servers/

Call of Duty 7 - long rumoured to be set in Vietnam - will feature the custom killstreaks introduced in Modern Warfare 2.

That's according to the eagle-eyed super-fans at CoD Vietnam News, who've dug through Treyarch's recent forum comments with a fine comb to compile a list of things we know about the next Call of Duty (which admittedly isn't much).

Apparently, the developer's 'Treyarch dev Vahn' (real name David Vonderhaar - Multiplayer Design Director for the upcoming CoD game) has strongly suggested the firm will ditch a lot of the imbalances of MW2 multiplayer, including the Commando perk and the controversial nuke killstreak.

Previous rumours suggested the game will be called 'Black Ops' and feature SAS missions in Iran, according to an 'Activision insider'.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com....php?id=241642

ynh
04-13-2010, 04:25 AM
In terms of actual game details, here’s a synopsis of what we can deduce from Vahn’s posts:

While they’ve tried having custom killstreaks for each class, that seemed to complicate the ‘purity and speed’ of Create a Class.

Consequently, it’s fair to assume that customizable killstreaks are all but confirmed.

At this stage in development, killstreaks stack and carry over if you die, but do not contribute to further killstreaks (hence eliminating the ‘camping for killstreaks’ problem of Modern Warfare 2).

Treyarch are not fans of Commando, the extended melee range perk in Modern Warfare 2, and it is unlikely to return.

They’ve tried a ‘manned’ version of the Sentry Gun killstreak, but weren’t fans.

We may well see a return to pistols as the only available sidearm, or perhaps a choice between pistols and launchers. Vahn and many of the team are not fans of shotguns and machine pistols as secondary weapons – it gives a player ‘too much firepower’.

The knife may well become a secondary weapon – although Vahn didn’t want to say too much.

Finally, don’t expect the nuke to return as a killstreak. Vahn says they are not fans of a game-ending killstreak.

http://www.codvietnamnews.com/2010/04/03/call-of-duty-7-according-to-dev/

z0sa
04-13-2010, 09:20 AM
"In addition to tackling 'Nam, a new report says the game will be titled "Call of Duty: Black Ops" and return to dedicated servers for a November 2010 release."

Looks like Treyarch is making sure they don't pull an IW and "compromise" the game for their original fanbase.

Shaolin-Style
04-13-2010, 09:33 AM
They need to just hurry up and make a wild west call of duty and get it over with. But I think they have about 3 more world war 2 spinoffs along with a couple of vietnam ones and a futuristic one in them first.

TDMVPDPOY
04-13-2010, 09:44 AM
compared that to battlefield-vietnam, what u guys think?

be good if they implement cu chi tunnels where players can just camp in the tunnels and come out of any ditch and snipe....

BruceBowenFan
04-13-2010, 10:06 AM
Treyarch are not fans of Commando, the extended melee range perk in Modern Warfare 2, and it is unlikely to return.

http://www.codvietnamnews.com/2010/04/03/call-of-duty-7-according-to-dev/

:downspin:

Muser
04-14-2010, 09:50 AM
Treyarch fucking suck. Did anyone actually complete WaW on Veteran? It was such horseshit. I spent more time throwing back grenades than actually shooting anything.

Muser
04-14-2010, 09:53 AM
As for the MW2 vs MW1 thing going on here I don't get what the big deal is. IW improved the game by a million when they removed Martyrdom and Juggernaut (Yeah they're death streaks, but it's so much better). And why bitch about the killstreaks? It's not like they are hard to take down.

Mixability
04-14-2010, 11:59 AM
I'm in if there's a quicktime "smoking pot in the jungle" level.

ynh
04-15-2010, 02:07 AM
As for the MW2 vs MW1 thing going on here I don't get what the big deal is. IW improved the game by a million when they removed Martyrdom and Juggernaut (Yeah they're death streaks, but it's so much better). And why bitch about the killstreaks? It's not like they are hard to take down.

They improved the game by a million by removing Martyrdom and Juggernaut then crapped on it by a billion by adding light weight, commando, shotguns as second class, and unlimited noob tubes do to One Many Army.

Seriously I feel stupid now bitching about Martyrdom and Juggernaut.. bring back the old days where I thought that was the worst thing.

resistanze
04-15-2010, 09:12 AM
Too Beaucoup.

redzero
04-15-2010, 02:18 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/2/21/Agent-orange-deformities-vietnam.jpg

Why the long face? :rollin

symple19
04-16-2010, 05:50 AM
Why the long face? :rollin

:lmao

LnGrrrR
04-16-2010, 10:44 AM
Red, that's f***ed up. But kinda funny. :lol

LnGrrrR
04-16-2010, 10:49 AM
I like MW2, but not as much as MW1. Lately, I've been feeling unsatisfied with it. Some of the times I get killed don't feel as "right" as they did in MW1, which was a big problem I had with Halo 3. (Where I constantly was shouting "WTF?!?!" at the screen after dying.)

The biggest problems I see:

Lightweight - You can run past claymores... what's the point of a perk that delays claymores when you can run past them?

Tactical Knife + Commando - If I wanted to play with rushing swords I'd play Halo. It totally ruins the theme of the game to me. "What are you bringing to war? Your AK47? I'm bringing my knife and plan on running around like an idiot."

Sitrep Pro - Sitrep is barely useful, and unlocking the pro version takes forever. Then what do you get for it? Ooooh you can hear footsteps louder. Go fahk off.

Scavenger + Danger Close + Noobtube/Thumper/Claymore build = Broken as fork. I know because I use it when people start camping. Being able to lay out two claymores at once is a big gamechanger.

Death Streaks - BY FAR, the most useful is Final Stand. Martyrdom works once every 20 deaths, if that. Copycat is nigh worthless as is Painkiller.

Javelin - WTF is this piece of crap? Oh wow, something I need line of sight for, that takes 12 minutes to get ready and another 15 to shoot? GTFO.

Chomag
04-16-2010, 11:34 AM
I used to think that Treyarch was the crappy step child of the call of duty series. Untill Infinity Ward brought out that MW2 garbage of a game.

Treyarch actualy did a pretty good job with WAW, but I still have faith that Ininfitiy Ward is still the better developers for COD.

However all this is moot anyway becuase BC are the new champions.