PDA

View Full Version : We Spurs need a BIG!

lotr1trekkie
01-23-2010, 10:03 AM
The Spurs can score 105 and still lose. We need a BIG in the starting lineup. That means 7' and about 270. Blair is a beast. Dice is a sub for Tim---off the bench.
Brenden Haywood looks like a match. We are at that point from last year when we can never put distance between us and the opponent.

intothechaos
01-23-2010, 10:14 AM
True that. The FO has failed to realize that. I feel so sorry for tim cause he was thrust into the center position after David left and they have failed to sign someone that should allow him to stay at PF. He has been asked to do so much and I admire him for not complaining even though I feel he should speak out and demand for a legit and reliable true center. Blair is the best next to Tim on the team but this team really needs a TRUE center. Listen to the fans that pay good money for your team and listen to them FO!!!!

jermaine
01-23-2010, 10:17 AM
The Spurs can score 105 and still lose. We need a BIG in the starting lineup. That means 7' and about 270. Blair is a beast. Dice is a sub for Tim---off the bench.
Brenden Haywood looks like a match. We are at that point from last year when we can never put distance between us and the opponent.

Pop wouldn't play em anyways so it don't matter.

intothechaos
01-23-2010, 10:27 AM
you hit the nail right squarely perfectly in sync on the head jermaine....this coach is pathetic when it comes to playing guys that can make a difference.

Chomag
01-23-2010, 10:31 AM
And jeopardize Pop's super small ball. Pop would never allow it. :lol

wildbill2u
01-23-2010, 10:42 AM

We just got beat by a team that doesn't have a big frontline. They played small ball and beat us.

venitian navigator
01-23-2010, 10:50 AM
I think the spurs screwed up a good chance to haver a legit 7.0 big at a good price in the starting five when they decided to not trust Mahinmi. Now if he plays, and plays well (like he showed he can do) he could get too much of value to be re-signed this summer togheter with Splitter...

Frankly, I think he could give us numbers per minute comparable to the ones of Haywood...and his tendence to foul shouldn't be a problem, considering how many other bigs we have on the roster...

ace3g
01-23-2010, 10:53 AM
Someone I thought could be available is Brad Miller, a player the Spurs have had interest in before, he has a similar skill set to Dice, but Miller is a true 7 footer.

He hasn't gotten many minutes in Chicago this season so look for his name to show up in trade rumors

Indazone
01-23-2010, 11:06 AM
Spurs already have a "BIG" his name is Tim Duncan. What do the Rockets have? Yet we still keep winning.

ElNono
01-23-2010, 11:57 AM
Spurs need a Texas-sized kick in the butt. Shame the coaching staff won't do it.

dbestpro
01-23-2010, 12:06 PM
Here's my question. If Pop continues to play small ball the rest of the way and the team continues to lose and misses the playoffs. should Pop be asked to step down?

spurs10
01-23-2010, 12:39 PM
The Rockets smalls did indeed beat us last night. However, our interior D was horrible, with TD hanging alone in the wind against much faster smalls. A young, athletic big like Ian seems like a great idea. If he isn't going to play, let him go and get someone who can help protect the paint.

BackHome
01-23-2010, 01:01 PM
We are never going to win another ring unelss we can land a atheletic center. There is no way that the Spurs right now can beat either the Flakers, Cleveland, or Celtics, in a seven game series...with this current roster!

The thing of playing small ball it is great if your players are atheltic but who on our team would you say is an atheltic freak?

2011 NEEDS:
1. A true backup pg who can penetrate and dish
2. A true center who can rule the paint
3. A taller young PF backup who can block shots and rebound
4. A taller SG who can play D and shot
5. Any SF other then Jefferson and Finley

The only players I would keep after this year would be:
1. Timmy - Starter
2. Tony - Starter
3. Hill - Bench
4. Manu - Bench
5. Blair - Stater/Bench - Depends on team we are facing

The biggest issue is that RJ has one more year so that means the best we can do thiss offf season would be able to sign Splitter and a few scrubs which would probably still tip of over the cap.

Indazone
01-23-2010, 01:09 PM
send us R. Jefferson and Ginobili and you guys can have T-Mac. That way you can have 23 mil of salary to work with next year. :)

Daddy_Of_All_Trolls
01-23-2010, 01:29 PM
I thought the Spurs would be fighting it out for first in the west after their great off season. However, a few key players haven't stepped up, and you're stuck with them. If anyone deserves another NBA title, it's Tim Duncan, and father time is running out on him and some teammates.

This year may be hopeless, it may not. However next year could be a success if your guys finally mesh. I'll suggest one big roll of the dice here. Sign Shaq at the vets minimum in the off season 2010. Whether he wins a ring with LeBron or not, he's ring chasing, and will be a free agent. I don't think the Lakers will take him back. Pop can manage his minutes. Shaq would love to beat the Lakers in the playoffs en route to another ring.

As much as you guys hate Shaq, he could help you get one or two more rings. The alternative trades or standing pat seem more risky. Isn't he from San Antonio?

sananspursfan21
01-23-2010, 02:45 PM
i thought for sure mahinmi would play after a great performance a couple weeks ago.

everybody's talking about how the spurs need a big guy and how the front office is not listening. did it ever occur to anyone that there is a shortage in the nba for quality big men and that the spurs may have been trying to get somebody all along? maybe dice and ratliff are the best they could do in the offseason. there is a shortage in good 7 ft. players and do you really think that other teams will just flippantly trade away guys like haywood, camby, blatche, someone even mentioned one of the lopez's (yah right). the front office is trying, believe me, they know way more about basketball and basketball players than any of you do. they know way more about the spurs well being than any of you.

spurtech09
01-23-2010, 03:51 PM
Ian needs to play !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

slick'81
01-23-2010, 03:52 PM
clearly mcdyess hasnt been the answer but is a trade that can help really possible?!?!

ace3g
01-23-2010, 11:36 PM
Brad Miller proved tonight if he gets minutes he can still produce, and it was against the Rockets

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/boxscore?gid=2010012310

murpjf88
01-23-2010, 11:47 PM
Spurs already have a "BIG" his name is Tim Duncan. What do the Rockets have? Yet we still keep winning.

Many Spurs fans in the forum are trying to find excuses for why we lose. I don't buy it.

Truckules
01-23-2010, 11:51 PM
Here's my question. If Pop continues to play small ball the rest of the way and the team continues to lose and misses the playoffs. should Pop be asked to step down?

Yes, but they won't. Pop is going to leave the Spurs on his own terms whether we like it or not.

mystargtr34
01-23-2010, 11:53 PM
Dick would be perfect for the Rockets IMO... he's a 20-6-4 guy with the ball in his hands - problem is if he's your primary creator/ball handler, even with a post like Yao, your nothing more than first round fodder.

spurtech09
01-24-2010, 12:45 AM
give Ian some mins. pop...plzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Shastafarian
01-24-2010, 12:53 AM
Many Spurs fans in the forum are trying to find excuses for why we lose. I don't buy it.

It's hard for Tim to do well in the paint when the next biggest guy on his team is 6'7. He's still a great post defender but he can't do it all by himself. Blair is the only other guy who seems to be worth anything down low.

Flux451
01-24-2010, 01:10 AM

Thanks for the reminder.

Reminder that we not only have Tim as our man defensive big, but also that both of our teams will not be winning the ring this year at their current level.