PDA

View Full Version : Personal Game Thoughts: Rockets @ Spurs

Chieflion
01-23-2010, 10:32 AM
Box score: http://www.nba.com/games/20100122/HOUSAS/gameinfo.html?ls=gt2hp0020900633#nbaGIboxscore

I am not going to post the stats here. If you want the stats, go to the link provided above if it really means anything. I just want to point out how the players looked this game.

Starting lineup: Tony Parker, George Hill, Richard Jefferson, Tim Duncan, DeJuan Blair

Tony Parker: Overall, a solid performance from our starting point guard. He did a good job finding players in the 1st half but the team went away with that in the 2nd half. We need the Tony Parker of last season fast. And he needs to shoot above 50% to be himself. His defense was average and he stole the ball twice, whichis well above his average.

George Hill: Another hard earned start for George Hill, but he had to suck this game. Despite putting up double digit points, he took 15 shots. George Hill was inefficient and did not get to the line a lot, mainly taking 3 point shots, 9 three point attempts to be exact. He needs to be more aggressive and attack the rim. He could not stop Trevor Ariza who was taller and longer than him, another negative for Hill. The only reason why you noticed him so much this game is because he played a team leading 35 minutes and 12 seconds.

Richard Jefferson: Stop being so soft, Richard Jefferson, recently, that has been Richard's weakness. His defense was atrocious to be exact. He made Shane Battier look like Michael Jordan. Ok, maybe I am exeggarating but Battier went for 14 points on 6 of 6 shooting. I believe the Spurs lost the game here. Offensively, Richard provided some sparks but it was not enough to offset his defensive defiencies this game.

Tim Duncan: Captain Tim reached the awaited 20,000 point milestone this game on a jumper at the top of the key. I expected nothing more from Tm this game. He got to the free throw line, I don't know whether it was the highest amount of times he was shooting at the line for his career this game, but he was aggressive, drawing foul after foul. His defense was solid but the Spurs' game plan hurt the Spurs for some apparent reason.

DeJuan Blair: What beast? DeJuan Blair, the rookie out of Pitt, put up some numbers, but his impact was non-existent. Blair missed easy shots at the rim and struggled all night long. I wouldn't even mention anything about defense, he was checking Chuck Hayes, what do you think?

Bench: Manu Ginobili, Antonio McDyess, Keith Bogans, Matt Bonner, Roger Mason Jr

Manu Ginobili: Chucking threes don't win championships. Is this what Manu's offense has become? He took 7 threes and got to the line only once. Is this the real Manu Ginobili? I liked his rebounding efforts out there and the playmaking, too bad guys were missing shots. Manu did not have his usual impact on the defensive end and was inefficient on offense. Overall, a forgettable night for Manu Ginobili. He was also one of the Spurs to show some fire. He got frustrated and anxious to try win the game.

Antonio McDyess: Did the Spurs really sign Antonio McDyess for most of the MLE? He worked hard on the glass this game, particularly on the offensive boards. He was about the only Spurs to shoot over 50% from the field. He say he did well on offense. His defense hurt the Spurs while Scola, yes stop leaving that guy wide open. Whenver he makes a shot, it pains me.

Keith Bogans: Really, he was a non-factor for the most part, the defense was not needed, his offense was not needed, here was no reason Bogans should have stepped on the court this game.

Matt Bonner: Bonner for 3! Clank! Bonner has not made a single 3 point field goal since his return but in the games he played in, he gave us the goofy continuation play and continues to space the floor for us. Bonner needs his shooting stroke back to really help the Spurs get some points though. His defense was nothing to joke about either. He blocked Landry and got a stop for us too. Did I mention his sick +/- stat? Bonner was a +15 when he was on the court. Fear Bonner. Both times Bonner stepped in onto the court, the Spurs made a run with some good spacing on offense and defensively, was able to get stops. I said stops, suprised? The next highest +/- was Tony Parker with a +2. This shows that Bonner is helping us gain a lot of points while even in a limited role.

Roger Mason: Ya, Pop, why didn't you play Money Mase? Since Bonner's return, Mason has been getting reduced minutes. Was spacing still not needed? With the increase of Hill's minutes, is Mason officially in the doghouse again? Or is there more than what meets the eye?

Coaching: First of all, screw Pop. Ya, did I just say that? With Bonner back, was there a reason to continue this shitty gimmick that made no sense on the Rockets? The Rockets played bigger than they are and Pop goes with small ball. I belive his weird coaching is screwing with our new players this season as they continue to be inconsistent and soft, patheitc on defense. Ending the game, Pop made Duncan double on the perimeter, resulting in Manu guarding Landry for easy buckets on consecutive possessions, which made me explode.

Overall: A poor showing by the Spurs and the coaching staff in general. Even with the help of the refs, the Spurs sucked and sucked some more and bended over for the Rockets, resulting in an ass kicking.

ElNono
01-23-2010, 11:20 AM
so it's the refs' fault that ginobili has sucked for several seasons now

It's his game thoughts from last night game... Reading is fundamental.

mookie2001
01-23-2010, 11:38 AM
Manu sure did have some costly turnovers these last two games, and the 4 games before that, played like total shit

so sad

dbestpro
01-23-2010, 11:42 AM
Coaching: First of all, screw Pop. Ya, did I just say that? With Bonner back, was there a reason to continue this shitty gimmick that made no sense on the Rockets? The Rockets played bigger than they are and Pop goes with small ball. I belive his weird coaching is screwing with our new players this season as they continue to be inconsistent and soft, patheitc on defense. Ending the game, Pop made Duncan double on the perimeter, resulting in Manu guarding Landry for easy buckets on consecutive possessions, which made me explode.

The players are not stupid either. how long will Pop continue this before the players start to turn against him.

screw_ston713
01-23-2010, 11:44 AM
Rockets bench - 53pts:wow

Spurs bench - 27pts:depressed

bdictjames
01-23-2010, 11:44 AM
Tony Parker needs to make his jumpers. He missed like three open ones.

easy7
01-23-2010, 01:11 PM

He also needs to make his lay ups, missed 2 in a row a few times..

ElNono
01-23-2010, 02:36 PM
pre-2007, expectations for a game were that manu was probably going to help the spurs by being aggressive

now, expectations are that, if manu actually makes it on the court, he might be aggressive, but half the time that's going to backfire on him and he's going to hurt the spurs

He was the Spurs top scorer for the 2007-2008 season. Shows what you know about your own team and the authority you have to call anybody a bandwagonner.

I'm not against a Ginobili trade and stated so plenty of times...

temujin
01-23-2010, 03:02 PM
pre-2007, expectations for a game were that manu was probably going to help the spurs by being aggressive

now, expectations are that, if manu actually makes it on the court, he might be aggressive, but half the time that's going to backfire on him and he's going to hurt the spurs

I am sure he would not hurt Cleveland or LA.

Xevious
01-23-2010, 03:09 PM
I went to the game last night and it was embarrassing. It didn't help I was sitting in a section dominated by Rocket fans. The offense wasn't efficient, though they still scored 109 points which should have been enough to beat the freakin' Rockets. And the defense was non-existent.

Again a game where the opponent runs layup drills on the Spurs, scoring at will in the point. Rockets shot 55%. /ballgame

temujin
01-23-2010, 03:10 PM
Yes, the reason Spurs are loosing is because Ginobili plays "poorly".
The defense allowed only 73 points and 5 in the paint, but those Ginobili's bricks killed the game or the Spurs.
Parker was ferocious on Brooks and of course Jefferson annihilated that great scorer of Battier.
And nobody dare penetrate because the bigs were SO intimidating.

Ahhhh, those Ginobili's 3s!!!!!!!!!

ElNono
01-23-2010, 03:31 PM
how did that work out for the team?

Worked great... Got us to the WCF...
I don't understand what's the big beef? You need to hate on Tony/Manu to be a real fan now?

Dice
01-23-2010, 03:36 PM
The "big three" did not carry the team last night. The peremiter defense sucks and I'm sick and tired of watching opposing teams guards blast down the court and no one even making an attempt to stop the ball until they're at the basket. Deron Williams did the same thing last game.

How many freakin layups did the Spurs miss last night? Anyone keep count?

screw_ston713
01-23-2010, 03:54 PM
I went to the game last night and it was embarrassing. It didn't help I was sitting in a section dominated by Rocket fans. The offense wasn't efficient, though they still scored 109 points which should have been enough to beat the freakin' Rockets. And the defense was non-existent.

Again a game where the opponent runs layup drills on the Spurs, scoring at will in the point. Rockets shot 55%. /ballgame

What is that suppose to mean? The Rockets have already beaten way better teams then the Spurs. Lakers, Mavs twice, Cavs, and Portland when they were healthy. Both Spurs and Rockets are averaging 101 points per game, I see if the Rockets were struggling to crack 100 points a game.

Fabbs
01-23-2010, 03:55 PM
nicely done.
Please continue.

Pauleta14
01-23-2010, 04:52 PM
Originally Posted by bdictjames http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/images/Style_Templates/Flashskin/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4022593#post4022593)

He also needs to make his lay ups, missed 2 in a row a few times..

:lmao

pjjrfan
01-23-2010, 05:13 PM
I thought Tony had a terrible game. He handled the ball way too long on to many possesions and every time Brooks or Lowry made a basket, Tony predictable would come and shoot it, most of them were misses. He did get hot at the end but a lot of our problems began with Tony. Manu has one of the most beutiful basketball game that I have ever seen but lately he is running out of gas by halftime. And in a game Timmy's aggressiveness seemed to have him putting up the ball like he was hoping for a foul for it to magically land in the rim, so I don't think he had a good game either. But one I do know is that all three of them wanted to win this game, they played hard, which bothers me when Jefferson takes plays off and Blair can't finish a lay up. And I still think that McDyess doesn't want to be here.

Chieflion
01-23-2010, 09:18 PM
Some people are mad. Try making your own game thoughts then. And of course it will be filled with all the meltdown comments.

Ice009
01-23-2010, 09:37 PM
how did that work out for the team?

He got hurt in the first round dip shit.

He was dueling Lebron James in the regular season just before the playoffs dropping 48 in Cleveland.

Later in the season against Boston MANU was head and shoulders the best player on the court when we played Boston at home and lost by 1 point after Horry missed that 3. Manu dominated that game and was better than Tim, KG, TP and everyone else on the court.

It seems to me like you didn't watch 2008 at all. Manu was absolutely playing awesome until he hurt himself. I don't have a freaking clue why people say Manu hasn't been good since 2007. He was way better in 2008. Not his fault he got hurt playing his ass off for the Spurs.

Ice009
01-23-2010, 09:46 PM
I thought Tony had a terrible game. He handled the ball way too long on to many possesions and every time Brooks or Lowry made a basket, Tony predictable would come and shoot it, most of them were misses. He did get hot at the end but a lot of our problems began with Tony. Manu has one of the most beutiful basketball game that I have ever seen but lately he is running out of gas by halftime. And in a game Timmy's aggressiveness seemed to have him putting up the ball like he was hoping for a foul for it to magically land in the rim, so I don't think he had a good game either. But one I do know is that all three of them wanted to win this game, they played hard, which bothers me when Jefferson takes plays off and Blair can't finish a lay up. And I still think that McDyess doesn't want to be here.

I've heard you say it numerous times now that McDyess doesn't want to be here. Where are you getting that from?

Brazil
01-23-2010, 09:48 PM
thx Chieflion good read.

pjjrfan
01-23-2010, 11:34 PM
I've heard you say it numerous times now that McDyess doesn't want to be here. Where are you getting that from?

body language look at the guy and especially when Manu throws him a pass he always has that look like WTF don't give me the ball dude. this is a guy who can still lay some wood on people in the paint, but since he got here he's been very passive, I may be wrong, but I doubt it.

Slippy
01-24-2010, 12:51 AM
Aside from playing heavier mins, having to guard PF''s and and SF's wouldn't help Manu's cause in trying to conserve energy.

objective
01-24-2010, 12:59 AM
Aside from playing heavier mins, having to guard PF''s and and SF's wouldn't help Manu's cause in trying to conserve energy.

Good point.

Good thing Finley's coming back to take on the PFs of the league, at least it will give Manu a break.

Slippy
01-24-2010, 01:13 AM
For all of Finley's faults, during small-ball he does good job of holding position when backed down.

kace
01-24-2010, 04:19 AM
Some people are mad. Try making your own game thoughts then. And of course it will be filled with all the meltdown comments.

don't worry. Those GT are good and interesting.

Xevious
01-24-2010, 04:51 AM
What is that suppose to mean? The Rockets have already beaten way better teams then the Spurs. Lakers, Mavs twice, Cavs, and Portland when they were healthy. Both Spurs and Rockets are averaging 101 points per game, I see if the Rockets were struggling to crack 100 points a game.
It means historically these two teams don't score a lot against each other. Strange that both scored 100+.

Indazone
01-24-2010, 10:13 AM
We aren't going anywhere this year and neither are the Spurs. :depressed