PDA

View Full Version : Still no Ratliff or Mahinmi.

poop
01-23-2010, 08:49 PM
not saying either one is a SAVIOUR as some of you like to say sarcastically- but why, for the love of god, does pop REFUSE to play either?

all last game it was an effing layup drill for houston whilst 2 6-11 shotblockers sat and watched from the bench. again. just like with Utah freaking kirilinko was dunking left and right and 6-9 boozer was raping us inside while 2 6-11 shotblockers sat and watched from the bench.

reminds me of last season while barea was raping jaque vaughn time after time whilst Hill sat and watched the entire series.

Shastafarian
01-23-2010, 08:51 PM
Why play either of them when you can play RJ or mason at Power Forward? Gosh, what a dullard you are! Lulz

TimDunkem
01-23-2010, 08:54 PM
I prefer Ginobili at PF myself. There's your help in the paint Timmy!

SinBAD
01-23-2010, 08:55 PM
I prefer paker having to guard kirilink down low.that was a great match up.

superjames1992
01-23-2010, 08:57 PM
not saying either one is a SAVIOUR as some of you like to say sarcastically- but why, for the love of god, does pop REFUSE to play either?
Because they're not any good. Dice may suck, but he's still better than Ratliff or Ian.

superjames1992
01-23-2010, 08:58 PM
How about we trade for Earl Boykins and play him at PF? A 5'6" PF should work well in Pop's system! :D

Chieflion
01-23-2010, 09:00 PM
Guys, I prefer George Hill at PF. He did say he welcomes any challenge to guard anyone.

Shastafarian
01-23-2010, 09:01 PM
Because they're not any good. Dice may suck, but he's still better than Ratliff or Ian.

And how do you know when neither get playing time? I can understand why Pop doesn't play ratliff a lot. He's old and injury prone. But I do not understand why Pop voluntarily plays small ball when he has someone on the bench who has shown he can affect shots.

Fabbs
01-23-2010, 09:04 PM
akin to this we "had" to offer nothing to Bowen.

ElNono
01-23-2010, 09:07 PM
Actually, IIRC, the only game we did not go small so far has been against NJ. Which I think it's the only game Ian has taken part of.

Shastafarian
01-23-2010, 09:09 PM
Actually, IIRC, the only game we did not go small so far has been against NJ. Which I think it's the only game Ian has taken part of.

Yeah and he SUCKED! Oh wait...

poop
01-23-2010, 09:11 PM
people say this but the rare moments when Ratliff plays he ALWAYS stuff she shit out of at least one person, he is a proven deterrent to little guards penetrating, i understand he needs to play limited minutes but when he does play he IS effective at what we need-defending the rim.
and i dont care how many rookie mistakes he makes- id still rather work in the 6-11 mahinmi defending the paint than to try to play effing sub-6-7 guys as 'power forwards'.

Shastafarian
01-23-2010, 09:12 PM
people say this but the rare moments when Ratliff plays he ALWAYS stuff she shit out of at least one person, he is a proven deterrent to little guards penetrating, i understand he needs to play limited minutes but when he does play he IS effective at what we need-defending the rim.
and i dont care how many rookie mistakes he makes- id still rather work in the 6-11 mahinmi defending the paint than to try to play effing sub-6-7 guys as 'power forwards'.

I think a fair amount of spurs fans feel this way. But it's not gonna happen.

angelbelow
01-23-2010, 09:15 PM
I don't think many are against giving Ian a few minutes to test what hes made of. The first game he played he was wonderful, the next he was a little too nervous. If he can find his comfort zone he may be useful in spot minutes.

weebo
01-23-2010, 09:16 PM
Pop is turning into Don Nelson before our very eyes.

objective
01-23-2010, 09:24 PM
I don't think many are against giving Ian a few minutes to test what hes made of.

Well . . . I can think of one . . .

:pop:

angelbelow
01-23-2010, 09:25 PM
Well . . . I can think of one . . .

:pop:

Haha as I was coming back into this thread I thought of that...

I should say: I don't think many Spurs fans are against playing Ian.

ElNono
01-23-2010, 09:26 PM
It really doesn't matter guys... I was bitching about going small since the season started and then at some point you realize it's not going to stop happening. It's been half a season and Pop has been preparing this team to play this way. We're not making a 180 degree (or as JKidd would say, 360 degree) change now. We're going to war with small ball, and if you're a person of faith, pray it works...

objective
01-23-2010, 09:26 PM
Why play either of them when you can play RJ or mason at Power Forward? Gosh, what a dullard you are! Lulz

I prefer paker having to guard kirilink down low.that was a great match up.

How about we trade for Earl Boykins and play him at PF? A 5'6" PF should work well in Pop's system! :D

Guys, I prefer George Hill at PF. He did say he welcomes any challenge to guard anyone.

Come on guys . . .

Don't you realize that MICHAEL FINLEY is close to returning?

FINLEY AT THE FOUR . . . COMING SOON!

Blackjack
01-23-2010, 09:29 PM
Pop's just a little thrown and off his game after losing Fin for an extended period of time.

No need to worry people, Fin and his power-forwardness will be back any day now.:toast

Blackjack
01-23-2010, 09:29 PM
Great minds...:lol

redskinfan
01-23-2010, 09:30 PM
I pity the fool who dares question the church of POP! remember it is he who has 4 titles and not us....pure sarcasm of course..weebo is correct Pop is morphing into Don Nelson and it's so sad..

Obstructed_View
01-23-2010, 10:44 PM
Pop's just biding his time until Finley's healthy enough to come back to play the 4.

dbestpro
01-23-2010, 10:56 PM

So, you think Mason, RJ or Manu are better at PF than Ian or Theo. Put the pipe down and slowly walk away.

dbestpro
01-23-2010, 10:58 PM
It really doesn't matter guys... I was bitching about going small since the season started and then at some point you realize it's not going to stop happening. It's been half a season and Pop has been preparing this team to play this way. We're not making a 180 degree (or as JKidd would say, 360 degree) change now. We're going to war with small ball, and if you're a person of faith, pray it works...

So where do you think we will draft in the lottery?

ElNono
01-23-2010, 11:04 PM
So where do you think we will draft in the lottery?

I still think we'll make the playoffs... But to answer your question, what makes you think we won't be trading our top pick before the draft anyways? :lol

angelbelow
01-23-2010, 11:31 PM
Wow.. the Pop and Don Nelson comparison... actually makes sense..

spurtech09
01-24-2010, 12:46 AM
spurs would play better d with ratliff or Ian ....no more small ball pop!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

murpjf88
01-24-2010, 01:17 AM
Yeah, no more small ball... Lets play Ian and Theo Pop, just so we can shut people up. Once they see what a bust that is, they'll have to come up with another excuse.... We can go from small ball to slow ball.

Ian is not ready, yet everyone wants to throw him into the fire. So what if he had a good game against NJ.
Theo brings very little to the table other than blocking an occasional shot. I've never seen so many people go ape shit over a blocked shot. He doesn't alter that many shots when he's in their. He can't play more than 10 - 15 minutes a game and he brings nothing to the table offensively.

The Spurs need a big they can rely on and they don't have one. Maybe they should of been looking for one instead of dicking around with Dice.

SenorSpur
01-24-2010, 02:06 AM
Ian is not ready, yet everyone wants to throw him into the fire. So what if he had a good game against NJ.
Theo brings very little to the table other than blocking an occasional shot. I've never seen so many people go ape shit over a blocked shot. He doesn't alter that many shots when he's in their. He can't play more than 10 - 15 minutes a game and he brings nothing to the table offensively.

The Spurs need a big they can rely on and they don't have one. Maybe they should of been looking for one instead of dicking around with Dice.

Both Ratliff and Mahinmi are players that bring length, athleticism, energy, shotblocking and rebounding to a position that could use more of all those things. Because Ian has more upside and more of his career in front of him, he could probably gain the most from any playing time thrown his way.

I hardly think Ian could be any worse than Dice, at this point. Besides, if the team is losing, it's better to lose with young than lose with old. If Pop truly wants to preserve Duncan's minutes more, he'd utilize his bigmen rotation to its fullest.

Aggie Hoopsfan
01-24-2010, 03:15 AM

We've been playing stupid ass small ball since 2007-2008. I'm sure that has absolutely zero correlation with our lack of a title since then.

Pop is turning into some dumb ass hybrid of Don Nelson and Larry Brown. Duncan deserves better than this for the end of his career.

dbestpro
01-24-2010, 03:22 AM
Yeah, no more small ball... Lets play Ian and Theo Pop, just so we can shut people up. Once they see what a bust that is, they'll have to come up with another excuse....

I suppose you will make this assumption after one game of no more small ball, while we have had a half season of ineffective small ball to establish our opinions.

poop
01-24-2010, 04:39 AM
pop has lost it PERIOD. all of '08-'09 thru present day he has failed to utilize the players we have, insisting on his stubborn lineups of small/soft ball while keeping certain talent on the bench, for no good reason other than personal crap.

Pop that won titles is GONE. current Pop has shown time and time again he would rather play with small ball/weak offensive ball than try to get stops. ITS ALL HIS FAULT. we wouldnt have won last year, but we would have at least maintained some dignity if he would have played Hill and gooden against dallas instead of gluing them to the bench.

same as this year. it doesnt matter how much we get raped in the paint by undersized guys, he WILL NOT play Ratilff or mahinmi EVER to defend the rim. he will contiue to play shooting guards/matt bonner at our Big positions whilst our 6-11 shot blockers stay glued to the bench.

RIP POP.

objective
01-24-2010, 05:20 AM
pop has lost it PERIOD. all of '08-'09 thru present day he has failed to utilize the players we have, insisting on his stubborn lineups of small/soft ball while keeping certain talent on the bench, for no good reason other than personal crap.

Pop that won titles is GONE. current Pop has shown time and time again he would rather play with small ball/weak offensive ball than try to get stops.

I don't know, is the Pop that won titles really gone?

I mean, Pop locked Stephen Jackson in a sportcoat straitjacket for all of 01-02. And he would have done it again in 03 if not for an early season injury to Smith and and a banged up Manu. Pop blew up on reporters for daring to ask him where Steve Kerr had been all playoffs long after game 6 against the Mavs in the WCF. We can all remember people getting doghoused, or not playing, and on and on.

Is Pop really different?

venitian navigator
01-24-2010, 05:38 AM
The thing I see about Pop is that he's better when paired with someone else (a la Carlesimo) that he has to face with...about plying time for players, decisions during the game etc etc.
Sorry to say this but the actual personnel don't look ike one to have the personality to have a simple chance to make Pop change hius mind...and with a staff of yessman you go nowhere!
I don't know Pop but one thing i see is that he's defitely too stubborn in his way to handle things and sometimes he loose the moment with players...
It's happend in the past (for exemple with Udrih) and is continuing to happen.
For exemple, one thing really don't understand, is how in the hell you play for two years some young player in nbdl just for make them learning the system and, after you see them fluorish in that league, you don't give them a fair chance to prove themselves...in favor of players that don't know a thing about the system.
Doing so you can only destroy any amount of confidence they can have in themselves and in the system...and lose all the time to make them learn something you proclame to be so important for this team.

TJastal
01-24-2010, 08:08 AM
So where are the Popalogists today? Usually you'd see at least Chumpdumper coming in here and blaming the players for all the problems. Jefferson and Dice, etc.

Well at least 1 showed up, Murp88. Props.

Xevious
01-24-2010, 09:17 AM
Throw Ian in there. Fuggit. What's the worst that can happen? Spurs lose some games? Miss the playoffs? Even though they'll make the playoffs doing what their doing now, they're being set up for another embarrassing first-round exit. We've passed the half-way point. Without a trade or a line-up change, this team is going nowhere.

Ian is tall, long, athletic, and knows the system. He must really suck if he can't even get minutes while Bonner was down.

admiralsnackbar
01-24-2010, 09:25 AM
If Ian is the stud so many think he is, why doesn't he get minutes? Blair and Hill clearly contradict the opinion that Pop won't play rooks (at least in the regular season), so what gives?

jermaine
01-24-2010, 09:50 AM
Pop is turning into Don Nelson before our very eyes.

Didn't everyone rip Avery Johnson for going to "smallball" against GS in their title run? Its getting to the point to where I don't like to watch the Spurs play anymore. I we get a lead we're going to lose it anyway. Pop its killing my convo at work an people are laughing at my ass but I'm running outta excuses! My last one was he's save our 7fts for the second half of the season.

galvatron3000
01-24-2010, 10:07 AM
Didn't everyone rip Avery Johnson for going to "smallball" against GS in their title run? Its getting to the point to where I don't like to watch the Spurs play anymore. I we get a lead we're going to lose it anyway. Pop its killing my convo at work an people are laughing at my ass but I'm running outta excuses! My last one was he's save our 7fts for the second half of the season.

:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao:lmao

jermaine
01-24-2010, 10:31 AM
We are the only fan base making excuses about our loses cuz we don't have another big in the paint. How the fuck does Houston feels then. They don't even have a superstar noone is over 6'10. What we are is losing our swagg! We don't use what we got an we pick on sorry teams. Hell we really don't do that anymore! Lmao!

SenorSpur
01-24-2010, 10:40 AM
Let me get this straight. Pop wanted to play Ian big minutes last year, but couldn't cause he was injured. Now that he's healthy, Pop doesn't want to play him at all. What? Is he holding a grudge against the kid because he was hurt last year? WTF difference does it make? Was it Ian's fault he was injured? Was it Ian's fault the Spurs medical staff didn't move quickly to find out the extent of his ankle injury?

All these are BS excuses. Whether it was last year or this year, the point is the guy is healthy now. Get him into the game so the he can begin helping your team.

Cane
01-24-2010, 10:52 AM
Ratliff is a playoffs player there for matchups against LA's frontcourt.

Mahinmi must not show up during practice since he's sitting about as low as the Spurs totem pole goes. He's also due to ship out after this season - the Spurs are overloaded with big men this year especially with the success of Blair. I wonder if Ian will eventually find himself overseas like Marcus.

The minutes Ian would be getting I'd rather throw Bonner in there so he can get his 3 point shot back.

TJastal
01-24-2010, 10:57 AM

Mahinmi must not show up during practice since he's sitting about as low as the Spurs totem pole goes. He's also due to ship out after this season - the Spurs are overloaded with big men this year especially with the success of Blair. I wonder if Ian will eventually find himself overseas like Marcus.

The minutes Ian would be getting I'd rather throw Bonner in there so he can get his 3 point shot back.

So you're saying Ratliff should play against the lakers this year, and sit out against the other 29 teams?

galvatron3000
01-24-2010, 10:58 AM
Let me get this straight. Pop wanted to play Ian big minutes last year, but couldn't cause he was injured. Now that he's healthy, Pop doesn't want to play him at all. What? Is he holding a grudge against the kid because he was hurt last year? WTF difference does it make? Was it Ian's fault he was injured? Was it Ian's fault the Spurs medical staff didn't move quickly to find out the extent of his ankle injury?

All these are BS excuses. Whether it was last year or this year, the point is the guy is healthy now. Get him into the game so the he can begin helping your team.

Agreed!

Cane
01-24-2010, 11:12 AM
So you're saying Ratliff should play against the lakers this year, and sit out against the other 29 teams?

Nope but the best he'll get in the reg season are spot minutes and he's only there when the Spurs need additional size and veteran experience. We picked him up in order to matchup better against LA however.

TJastal
01-24-2010, 11:20 AM
Nope but the best he'll get in the reg season are spot minutes and he's only there when the Spurs need additional size and veteran experience. We picked him up in order to matchup better against LA however.

Players who are 35+ aren't going to be able to get into any kind of rhythym playing sporadically. Either Pop needs to make him part of the regular rotation or not at all.

If it takes 34 year old McDyess half a year to get loosen the joints and get into game shape it will probably take the same for Ratliff. And this is only the physical aspect, how do you expect him to get used to playing with the 1st unit and all of Pop's intricate schemes this way?

This whole idea of saving Ratliff to play against one team in the playoffs and expecting him to step in and contribute is folly if you ask me.

Cane
01-24-2010, 11:34 AM
Players who are 35+ aren't going to be able to get into any kind of rhythym playing sporadically. Either Pop needs to make him part of the regular rotation or not at all.

Nah not really. Players who are 35+ with an injury history like Ratliff's at best will have sporadic minutes especially at this point in the season. Not too different than how Robert Horry was utilized in his twilight years.

And this is only the physical aspect, how do you expect him to get used to playing with the 1st unit and all of Pop's intricate schemes this way?

Through practice and getting more minutes as the season closes.

This whole idea of saving Ratliff to play against one team in the playoffs and expecting him to step in and contribute is folly if you ask me.

I like it - no use in overplaying an ancient and injury-prone Ratliff at this point in the season. He's a playoffs player specifically for LA's frontcourt. As long as he plays defense and grabs boards he'll fill his role.

Aggie Hoopsfan
01-24-2010, 12:05 PM
If Ian is the stud so many think he is, why doesn't he get minutes? Blair and Hill clearly contradict the opinion that Pop won't play rooks (at least in the regular season), so what gives?

It's been well documented that Ian doesn't practice well. The problem is, he's clearly played better in actual game time. Some guys are just wired that way, and Pop shouldn't hold that against him.

As to Blair and Hill...

You forget that down the stretch and in the post-season last year, Hill was riding the pine. It took desperation time against the Mavs before he got any run, and then he impressed.

This season, I'd argue the PT he is getting is only because Pop knows TP is dinged up/tired from national team play (and the documented plantar fasciitis) and he's trying to get Tony to the post-season with minimum damage done.

Blair? He didn't get any run until both Finley and Bonner went down, and even then it took a couple of large stat lines in limited playing time before Pop grudgingly gave him more play.

What will be interesting with Blair is what happens when those two return to the rotation.

We either need to give Ratliff and Ian more run, or if Pop really believes those guys aren't going to cut it then we need to trade for a decent big before the deadline.

We aren't going to get out of the West against teams like LA that have an Odem/Gasol/Bynum front line by rotating Tim, Dice, Bonner, Finley, and Jefferson at the C and PF spots.

TJastal
01-24-2010, 12:08 PM
Nah not really. Players who are 35+ with an injury history like Ratliff's at best will have sporadic minutes especially at this point in the season. Not too different than how Robert Horry was utilized in his twilight years.

Through practice and getting more minutes as the season closes.

I like it - no use in overplaying an ancient and injury-prone Ratliff at this point in the season. He's a playoffs player specifically for LA's frontcourt. As long as he plays defense and grabs boards he'll fill his role.

And how did Horry fair playing spotty minutes on and off his last year with the spurs?

Let's see.. career low 31% FG, and 25% 3pt.... shitty playoff run, spurs trounced by lakers in 2nd round.

Wow, your really making a case here, Cane.

Cane
01-24-2010, 12:22 PM
And how did Horry fair playing spotty minutes on and off his last year with the spurs?

Let's see.. career low 31% FG, and 25% 3pt.... shitty playoff run, spurs trounced by lakers in 2nd round.

Wow, your really making a case here, Cane.

Thanks - although I can't say the same about you and I'm wondering what the hell you're trying to argue.

Ratliff is an old, injury-prone player signed on to deal with playoffs matchups like LA. He's got a very specific role to fill and won't get more minutes until the season closes.

He's not some kind of savior - he's just an old roleplayer.

SenorSpur
01-24-2010, 12:24 PM
It's been well documented that Ian doesn't practice well. The problem is, he's clearly played better in actual game time. Some guys are just wired that way, and Pop shouldn't hold that against him.

It's this kind of internal, team politics that frustrate me the most about Pop. This is why I've never trusted his evaluation of Ian. It sure seems like he's got it in for this kid because of some bullshit bias he's developed against him.

If the team were winning, it'd be hard to justify experimentating with a young big or even a employing philosophical shift (like ditching small ball). However the fact is, this team is losing games, plays defense like swiss cheese, and lacks energy and urgency, make a strong case for a strategy change. This team cannot maintain leads and they've shown a surprising inability to beat the top-tier teams in the league.

At this point, Pop has absolutely nothing to lose in trying something different. The fact that he's staunchly refuses to do so gives me the impression that this is more about him than anything else. Pop needs to "get over himself" and give this kid some run. If he fails, so what? The team is losing anyway.

galvatron3000
01-24-2010, 12:29 PM

It's this kind of internal, team politics that frustrate me the most about Pop. This is why I've never trusted his evaluation of Ian. It sure seems like he's got it in for this kid because of some bullshit bias he's developed against him.

If the team were winning, it'd be hard to justify experimentating with a young big or even a employing philosophical shift (like ditching small ball). However the fact is, this team is losing games, plays defense like swiss cheese, and lacks energy and urgency, make a strong case for a strategy change. This team cannot maintain leads and they've shown a surprising inability to beat the top-tier teams in the league.

At this point, Pop has absolutely nothing to lose in trying something different. The fact that he's staunchly refuses to do so gives me the impression that this is more about him than anything else. Pop needs to "get over himself" and give this kid some run. If he fails, so what? The team is losing anyway.

At this anything he tries is no better or worse than what we've been doing except not playing Duncan

The Truth #6
01-24-2010, 06:46 PM
Our defense is lacking because most of our players are slow and RJ is sloppy. I'd love to see if hairston and Ian could help. I'm sure pop would look at that as giving up so it's unlikely.

Shastafarian
01-24-2010, 08:24 PM
Our defense is lacking because most of our players are slow and RJ is sloppy. I'd love to see if hairston and Ian could help. I'm sure pop would look at that as giving up so it's unlikely.

I feel like Hairston is overlooked in all this small ball talk. Defense on the wings has been pretty bad too and Hairston has shown he can be a capable defender. The problem is whose minutes would he take?

poop
01-24-2010, 08:30 PM
hairston has played well whenever hes been in there...so naturally he gets put on the bench

The Truth #6
01-24-2010, 08:33 PM
Hairston hasn't been a great offensive player but he at least plays like he gives a crap. No reason not to sit Bogans out for 3 games and try an experiment with Hairston. What's the point of saving him for next year. Next year is basically Armaggedon, because if the team doesn't turn it around this year the chances of somehow being great next year are much lower.

ulosturedge
01-24-2010, 08:58 PM
I'm an agreement that small ball seems like such an epic fail. It seems like it would be clear as day that we should just throw Ian in the fire and make him sink or swim, but I doubt you experiment like that lol. You will jeopardize the whole system doing that. Imagine if Ian is constantly missing assignments and being a black hole out there and you are giving this guy substantial minutes. You lose games you probably should have won, you disrupt the chemistry that has been molded up til now, and in turn you will probably cause resentment from the players that are losing minutes to him. Not to mention confidence will go down the shitter. I have to believe Pop is going about it the right way. If Ian was showing enough in practice he would earn minutes. I'm pretty sure Ian is getting the same treatment as Blair out there. If you screw up and blow an assigment your headed back to the bench. If your out there blowing rotations being a broken piece of the system your getting benched. He needs to learn the hard way or not at all. That's the Pop way plain and simple.

poop
01-26-2010, 10:30 PM
I'm an agreement that small ball seems like such an epic fail. It seems like it would be clear as day that we should just throw Ian in the fire and make him sink or swim, but I doubt you experiment like that lol. You will jeopardize the whole system doing that. Imagine if Ian is constantly missing assignments and being a black hole out there and you are giving this guy substantial minutes. You lose games you probably should have won, you disrupt the chemistry that has been molded up til now, and in turn you will probably cause resentment from the players that are losing minutes to him. Not to mention confidence will go down the shitter. I have to believe Pop is going about it the right way. If Ian was showing enough in practice he would earn minutes. I'm pretty sure Ian is getting the same treatment as Blair out there. If you screw up and blow an assigment your headed back to the bench. If your out there blowing rotations being a broken piece of the system your getting benched. He needs to learn the hard way or not at all. That's the Pop way plain and simple.

buuullllshit. throw him out there and let his ass develop...if hes mediocre game after game then yeah, sit him.

but guess what, there are guys getting consistent minutes who are mediocre game after game. and they keep getting minutes.

we wont contend until we have guys capable of defending the paint...and id like to at least give a real chance to the 22 yr old 6-11 260 guy doing that than another 6-7 proven fail dude.

The Truth #6
01-26-2010, 10:41 PM
We did draft Ian, which makes the reluctance to play him all the more frustrating, especially because he had a decent game when he did play, and, by not playing him we're destroying any possible trade value to get something in return for him. And it's not like this team is above making a mid-season trade. The Ian situation is in some ways like a microcosm of the season, which is to say - chaos, disorder, confusion, debacle.

poop
01-26-2010, 10:53 PM
We did draft Ian, which makes the reluctance to play him all the more frustrating, especially because he had a decent game when he did play, and, by not playing him we're destroying any possible trade value to get something in return for him. And it's not like this team is above making a mid-season trade. The Ian situation is in some ways like a microcosm of the season, which is to say - chaos, disorder, confusion, debacle.

no one to blame for this but Pop. hate to say it but its true.

SouthTexasRancher
01-26-2010, 11:58 PM

No way!!! Hill is a Center. Tony Frenchpussey is a Power Forward. If Pop would only put Blair in as our Point Guard and play him for the full 48 minutes we'd be in better shape than we are now!

tdunk21
01-27-2010, 12:24 AM
is pop savin mahinmi to use him as a trade bait??

TD 21
01-27-2010, 12:31 AM
Don't forget, Ratliff is being saved for the epic Western Conference Finals showdown with the Lakers, when he'll be needed to play 40 mpg. I get not playing him every game, I get not playing him extended minutes, but what I don't get is why he was used sparingly for over a month with Bonner out? Pop would rather tax Duncan by often playing him as the lone big on the court, play three bigs total (all of who's minutes are monitored) and play small ball than play a guy who, in theory, could greatly help this team in short stretches as a rim protector.

This team keeps acting like it's a given they'll be in the playoffs, like the regular season is nothing more than the dress rehearsal. The reality is that's no longer the case. With the depth of the West, the Spurs sub-par record and their brutal second half schedule (not to mention the fact that all of their players minutes are monitored), they are not guaranteed to make the playoffs. I still suspect that they'll find a way to be either the third or fourth seed, but they need to cut this attitude as if they're already there. Pop can save Ratliff all he wants (even if the Spurs make it to a series with the Lakers, how much will he really play, 15 mpg?), but if the team either doesn't make the playoffs or burns themselves out just to get there and are first round fodder, then his signing was all for naught. Not that Ratliff would single-handedly cure what ails this team, but he could help.

poop
01-27-2010, 03:09 AM
Don't forget, Ratliff is being saved for the epic Western Conference Finals showdown with the Lakers, when he'll be needed to play 40 mpg. I get not playing him every game, I get not playing him extended minutes, but what I don't get is why he was used sparingly for over a month with Bonner out? Pop would rather tax Duncan by often playing him as the lone big on the court, play three bigs total (all of who's minutes are monitored) and play small ball than play a guy who, in theory, could greatly help this team in short stretches as a rim protector.

This team keeps acting like it's a given they'll be in the playoffs, like the regular season is nothing more than the dress rehearsal. The reality is that's no longer the case. With the depth of the West, the Spurs sub-par record and their brutal second half schedule (not to mention the fact that all of their players minutes are monitored), they are not guaranteed to make the playoffs. I still suspect that they'll find a way to be either the third or fourth seed, but they need to cut this attitude as if they're already there. Pop can save Ratliff all he wants (even if the Spurs make it to a series with the Lakers, how much will he really play, 15 mpg?), but if the team either doesn't make the playoffs or burns themselves out just to get there and are first round fodder, then his signing was all for naught. Not that Ratliff would single-handedly cure what ails this team, but he could help.

epic post.

too bad Pop is the only one clueless to reality.

Old School 44
01-27-2010, 11:09 AM

+1000
It's funny how we always hear about player egos. Pop plays the "humble game" well in all his interviews, but sadly, I think he's the one with the biggest ego.