PDA

View Full Version : Spartacus on STARZ

tlongII
01-24-2010, 03:08 PM
Anybody else watch the first show? Not bad. Similar to 300 in the filming style.

Whisky Dog
01-24-2010, 05:14 PM
Yeah I watched some of it. Bad acting and a shitload of blood but not horrible. Starz needs to up the quality to get on par with a lot of HBOs stuff but hopefully they will.

Mr Dio
01-24-2010, 05:30 PM
I thought the 1st episode was alright. The 2nd is what is prob gonna keep me watching, ala True Blood. Much takes place at Batiatus' ludus the action is good.

The episodes will get much better & the 2nd season was ordered 1mo before the 1st episode aired.

http://www.series.nu/topic/29-%E2%80%9Cspartacus%E2%80%9D-renewed-for-2nd-season-on-starz-before-1st-season-premiere/

Strike
01-24-2010, 05:31 PM
Is this their 1st attempt at an original production? I had no idea this was even on.

TheTruth
01-24-2010, 05:38 PM
The bad acting almost had me turn it off, but John Hannah and Lucy Lawless turned it around at the end. I'll definitely give it a few more episodes.

tlongII
01-24-2010, 05:39 PM
Lots of blood is always a good thing! :lol

Mr Dio
01-24-2010, 06:12 PM
Starz also has Crash w/Dennis Hopper. 2nd season just ended (I think hahaha). That wasn't too bad. They also had a couple of others that I don't think have done so well.

EmptyMan
01-25-2010, 04:55 PM
I liked it. I'm a sucker for sword and shield type movies though.

tlongII
01-25-2010, 08:55 PM
I liked it. I'm a sucker for sword and shield type movies though.

The nudity isn't too bad either! :lol

Viva Las Espuelas
01-25-2010, 09:32 PM
Similar to 300 in the filming style.

wasn't that the whole premise in making this?

tlongII
01-25-2010, 10:33 PM
wasn't that the whole premise in making this?

Yeah, I think so. I hadn't read anything about it before I saw the first episode, but after reading a little on the Net it appears to be.

EmptyMan
01-26-2010, 09:53 AM
It's funny how they copied basically the same exact cinematography of 300 on many of the Spartacus scenes.

Semi-Spoiler Alert!!!

Spartacus rushing into battle solo w/ the slo-mo, two scouts crawling up the hill, sex scene that fades in and out every 4 seconds with different positions :lol

EmptyMan
01-30-2010, 05:07 PM
All those years of watching Xena as a kid and I finally get to see dem tittayz.

:lol

EmptyMan
03-06-2010, 10:47 PM
Anyone still watching this?

It's great imo.

IronMaxipad
03-19-2010, 11:28 PM
Fucking badass show minus the penis

Bukefal
03-20-2010, 05:28 AM
This show sucks. I hate it how they rape old stories and history in some series or movies. And how it was made, seriously it looks like shit.

But well, people want to see exaggerated action, blood, blood, blood and sex, sex, sex. That's why these shows have success and movies like Alexander not.

EmptyMan
03-20-2010, 10:28 AM
The blood looks pretty shitty but the rest is good enough. They film it on small sets/blue screens to keep the bill down. That way they can keep it going for many seasons.

I'm almost done with Rome (HBO) and I can say the acting in Spartacus is 10000000x better.

ATRAIN
04-21-2010, 10:42 AM
Season Finale was bad ass.

200 miles
04-21-2010, 06:58 PM
Damn, that deceitful snake Ashur got away.

Strike
04-21-2010, 07:03 PM
The blood looks pretty shitty but the rest is good enough. They film it on small sets/blue screens to keep the bill down. That way they can keep it going for many seasons.

I'm almost done with Rome (HBO) and I can say the acting in Spartacus is 10000000x better.

You're joking, right? Rome is better in every way than this piece of shit.

tlongII
04-21-2010, 08:01 PM
Spartacus > Rome and that is a fact. Spartacus is a great show!

Girasuck
04-22-2010, 09:51 AM
Best season finale I've ever seen.

ATRAIN
04-22-2010, 09:57 AM
Spartacus > Rome and that is a fact. Spartacus is a great show!

Spartacus is a great show but Rome was wayyy better. ITs too bad that they had to fucking rush it and end it sooner than intended.

ATRAIN
04-22-2010, 09:58 AM
Best season finale I've ever seen.

It was pretty bad ass to see him and Crixus (however you spell it) to finally join forces and put everything aside. Them along side Doltore and there is no way they can be stopped. I hope they fuck up that Army guy that hates Sparticus. It was classic when Sparticus fucked that guys wife lmao.

EmptyMan
04-22-2010, 10:57 AM
You're joking, right? Rome is better in every way than this piece of shit.

:lol no way! The only thing that kept me watching Rome was the Julius Caesar v. Pompey storyline. Once that was over it was a total zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz fest. The supporting cast was weak as hell cuzz.

That last episode of Spartacus was EPIC. I got goosebumps when **** got real.

jman3000
04-22-2010, 11:21 PM
Hated the first 2 or 3 episodes... felt like I was watching Gladiator all over again.... but then it started getting better and better and I was hooked. Watched almost all of season one in a few days over netflix.

seeing that one dude getting crucified with his dick cut off was a major "what the fuck moment".

EmptyMan
04-23-2010, 11:16 AM
Yeah. That ep was kind of like wtf....not sure to turn head away or not :wow

SPOILER:

I was thinking that guy was going to be Oenomaus so I was kind of bummed.

leemajors
09-05-2010, 12:25 AM
this show is pretty damn entertaining, way more so than 300 imo. It takes a few eps to get used to/over the CG blood though.

Veterinarian
09-05-2010, 06:13 AM
Do all the Latins speak with an English accent like in Rome?

TheAdmiral#50
09-05-2010, 06:27 AM
What happened to this show? I really liked it.

desflood
09-05-2010, 07:42 AM
Andy Whitfield (Spartacus) is fighting non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma. They won't replace him with another actor, so the outcome of the show depends upon his outcome.

leemajors
09-05-2010, 09:41 AM
Andy Whitfield (Spartacus) is fighting non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma. They won't replace him with another actor, so the outcome of the show depends upon his outcome.

They filmed/are filming a 6 ep prequel about Batiatus, but from what I see Whitfield is cancer free and they started pre-production.

leemajors
09-05-2010, 09:42 AM
Do all the Latins speak with an English accent like in Rome?

No, but Crixus looks like a roided up Jensen Ackles

desflood
09-18-2010, 11:20 AM
people.com:

TV's "Spartacus: Blood and Sand" star Andy Whitfield will not be returning to the Starz series for a second season, due to a recurrence of cancer that will require aggressive treatment, the network has announced.

"It's with a deep sense of disappointment that I must step aside from such an exceptional project as Spartacus and all the wonderful people involved," Whitfield, 36, said in a statement. "It seems that it is time for myself and my family to embark on another extraordinary journey."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/09/18/spartacus-star-andy-whitf_n_721955.html

leemajors
09-18-2010, 11:42 AM
Well that sucks.

Fpoonsie
09-20-2010, 09:21 AM
Yeah, that REALLY sucks. I finally finished the season last night and decided that I thoroughly enjoyed it. As desflood mentioned, I can't imagine them replacing Whitfield, so I'd be immensely surprised (but not necessarily excited) if they did more than the prequel eps.

Ah, well. Hope the guy gets better.

desflood
09-20-2010, 09:29 AM
I don't know... when they said they wouldn't replace him, they (and he) were anticipating that he would return for a second season. Now that he's out completely, they might put another actor into the role - this show is money, pure and simple.

Here's to hoping Mr. Whitfield goes into remission quickly and will be permanently cured :toast

Fpoonsie
09-20-2010, 09:34 AM
I don't know... when they said they wouldn't replace him, they (and he) were anticipating that he would return for a second season. Now that he's out completely, they might put another actor into the role - this show is money, pure and simple.

[groan] It's gonna be like replacing the mom on Family Matters/Fresh Prince all over again...

BlairForceDejuan
09-20-2010, 09:57 AM
This is horrible news. Whitfield seems like a good guy, hopefully he can beat this. This show was so epic. It will be a damned travesty if it has to be canceled now.

Seriously, Batiatus and Doctore are too good of characters to have to be shut down :(

Muser
01-31-2012, 11:48 AM
Bump.

What did you think of the new episode? The new Spartacus needs to put on a ton of muscle.

Nathan Explosion
01-31-2012, 12:08 PM
Bump.

What did you think of the new episode? The new Spartacus needs to put on a ton of muscle.

I was thinking the same thing. Crixus looks much, much bigger than him. Not that Whitefield was huge, but he wasn't dwarfed that much.

Plus, I kind of missed how many times Batiatus could work the words "cock in/to ass" into a speech in one episode. It could have been a drinking game.

Muser
01-31-2012, 12:42 PM
I'm most interested in where they're going with the Oenomaus storyline, the way he destroyed those three guys was awesome.

Fpoonsie
01-31-2012, 12:46 PM
I just want more of that blonde chick. Can't remember her name. The one that was married to that General or whatever tha fuck.

What a slut.

desflood
01-31-2012, 12:50 PM
I'm most interested in where they're going with the Oenomaus storyline, the way he destroyed those three guys was awesome.
If it follows what little we know of the actual history, he'll join them in the mountains eventually and become one of Spartacus's generals.

The new season shows promise, but the new guy doesn't bring the same sort of fire to Spartacus that Whitfield did. Hopefully he settled into the role and it will pick up.

Nathan Explosion
01-31-2012, 12:57 PM
If it follows what little we know of the actual history, he'll join them in the mountains eventually and become one of Spartacus's generals.

The new season shows promise, but the new guy doesn't bring the same sort of fire to Spartacus that Whitfield did. Hopefully he settled into the role and it will pick up.

Yeah, we'll see. It showed some promise with the fight that Spartacus and Crixus had with the guards. Remember, the season just started so the story lines have to be set up for the payoff later.

tlongII
01-31-2012, 07:14 PM
Yeah I agree that the new Spartacus isn't quite as cut as Whitfield was. I still like it though and am looking forward to the future episodes. :tu

The Reckoning
01-31-2012, 08:05 PM
Yeah I agree that the new Spartacus isn't quite as cut as Whitfield was. I still like it though and am looking forward to the future episodes. :tu

now we know why you REALLY watch it

:nope

scampers
01-31-2012, 08:17 PM
The new Spartacus doesn't do it for me right now. But then, I didn't warm up to Whitfield until around the 3rd episode of Blood and Sand.

I have to admit though, it's not the same without Betiatus. That character and his dialogue really made the show.

Muser
01-31-2012, 08:51 PM
From the previews it looks like Oenomaus is going to the pits, I guess that's what he meant when he said there's only one place for a guy like him.

Damn that would be awesome, the pits were gruesome in Blood and Sand.

leemajors
02-29-2012, 07:13 PM
The fifth episode was fucking awesome, the coliseum scene was great. Still not quite sold on the new guy, but the person they brought back this ep may make up for it.

Reck
02-29-2012, 07:25 PM
Yeah the new Spartacus is not up to Andy's level of awesome yet. Probably will never get there but he's respectable.

Last ep was definately the best of the season, specially after the 4th one which was so shitty I almost fell asleep half way through.

Also the new Naevea fucking sucks. What a dead duck.

tlongII
02-29-2012, 09:18 PM
Gannicus is awesome.

desflood
02-29-2012, 10:29 PM
I'm not a big Gannicus fan nor am I convinced of McIntyre's suitability for the role of Spartacus, but watching Lucretia and Ashur drop the house on Ilithyia eventually will make it all worthwhile. That woman is an excellent actress; there are times I almost genuinely hate her :lol

greyforest
03-04-2012, 04:24 PM
bad acting, bad CG, but a really fantastic plot and script. shame about the lead actor, it's weird getting used to the loads of new characters.

definitely worth watching, as well as hbo's short-lived rome.

Reck
03-31-2012, 03:00 AM
Did anyone see the season finale tonight?

Joly fucking shit.:wow

tlongII
04-01-2012, 03:53 AM
Awesome show!

BlairForceDejuan
04-01-2012, 10:44 PM
I wasn't really feeling this season tbh. The guy who replaced the orig spartacus didn't grow on me until about 3/4 the way through and even then he's still blah.

Only char I really enjoyed was Ganicus* because he is the antihero and my boy Doctore/Anamaues. Overall this season was just flat and the season finale never gave me goosebumps like season 1 ending did. I was overall disappointed but still appreciate the series because I love ancient history.

greyforest
04-02-2012, 12:06 AM
still worth watching. finale was really deathy, they're gonna have to stock up on lots of new characters for the new season

angelbelow
04-02-2012, 03:16 AM
Love this show. I really enjoy how they don't fuck around and leave big time cliff hangers in between seasons like most shows. When they say "kill them all".. they really mean it.

Reck
07-13-2012, 04:02 PM
Man what the fuck..

The next season will be the last.

RGMCSE
04-14-2013, 10:20 PM
Just watched the final episode. I don't watch too much tv so its sad that this show didn't last another couple of seasons. Now I'll have to find something else to get into.

jeebus
04-14-2013, 10:28 PM
was it any good? I just couldn't get back into it with the new guy. I watched about 4 or so episodes with him before I stopped.

TDMVPDPOY
04-14-2013, 11:27 PM
this series did caeser bullshit.....dude had one good fight scene and anything after it, they dumb him down to fodder character....while the ex gladiators all had good fights till their final deaths,

Reck
04-14-2013, 11:59 PM
was it any good? I just couldn't get back into it with the new guy. I watched about 4 or so episodes with him before I stopped.

He did a good job.

I was skeptical of him for the second season but he made Spartacus his in the final season.

this series did caeser bullshit.....dude had one good fight scene and anything after it, they dumb him down to fodder character....while the ex gladiators all had good fights till their final deaths,

Huh?

You post just to post dont you? :lol

I mean, did you even watch? He played a major part in splitting Spartacus group in two.

Caesar was an strategist, not a fighter.

They played his character just right. I hear rumors of a spinoff about Caesar. I'd watch.

TDMVPDPOY
04-15-2013, 12:54 AM
He did a good job.

I was skeptical of him for the second season but he made Spartacus his in the final season.

Huh?

You post just to post dont you? :lol

I mean, did you even watch? He played a major part in splitting Spartacus group in two.

Caesar was an strategist, not a fighter.

They played his character just right. I hear rumors of a spinoff about Caesar. I'd watch.

cmon man he only had one good scene and that was the co-vert operation, everything after that went down hill for him, didnt get involve much with the dueling hiding behind the roman lines....wanted to see him actually fight granicus or someshit, im glad that butch of a bitch character naveia died..

outhrough the series caeser everytime he open his mouth he was talkin about cocks, im glad he got rear ended hahaha, what goes around comes around...