PDA

View Full Version : Just saw Clippers at Wizards, we must go after Haywood!

duncanCOSTARICA
01-24-2010, 03:35 PM
Final Score LAC 98 WAS 78

Haywood looked very good on defense and seems to be playing alone on that team, we should make the trade, this is the guy that we need.

here is a look at the boxscore:

http://www.nba.com/games/20100124/LACWAS/gameinfo.html?ls=gt2hp0020900647

as you can see camby played really good ball also but Clips have a chance on a playoff spot so i guess camby not moving anywhere.

Bring Haywood!

TJastal
01-24-2010, 03:53 PM
Final Score LAC 98 WAS 78

Haywood looked very good on defense and seems to be playing alone on that team, we should make the trade, this is the guy that we need.

here is a look at the boxscore:

http://www.nba.com/games/20100124/LACWAS/gameinfo.html?ls=gt2hp0020900647

as you can see camby played really good ball also but Clips have a chance on a playoff spot so i guess camby not moving anywhere.

Bring Haywood!

Nice game.

Haywood is an expiring contract himself, so the wiz won't be interested in other expiring deals for him.

That leaves giving up something they can use to make their team better. Maybe they'd want Roger Mason Jr back, I understand he was popular with the fans and he's not getting consistent minutes with Pop this year.

Mason/Mahinmi/Hairston for Haywood works in the ESPN trade machine.

lurker23
01-24-2010, 04:32 PM
I agree that they won't likely trade him for similar expiring contracts. However, I can't help but wonder if they'd do it for some slight monetary relief and a draft pick. Something like: Mason, Mahinmi, and a first rounder for Haywood. That would save them about half a million in salaries for the rest of the year and $1.2 million in luxury tax bill.

DesignatedT
01-24-2010, 04:36 PM
There have been tons of rumors surrounding haywood. i doubt that our expiring contracts are better than what other teams are offering.

expect portland to make a hard push at haywood.

Big P
01-24-2010, 04:39 PM
Brendas a sloth. No thanks

Bruno
01-24-2010, 04:47 PM
I agree that they won't likely trade him for similar expiring contracts. However, I can't help but wonder if they'd do it for some slight monetary relief and a draft pick. Something like: Mason, Mahinmi, and a first rounder for Haywood. That would save them about half a million in salaries for the rest of the year and $1.2 million in luxury tax bill.

Mahinmi could also be send to a third team that has a little trade exception/capspace (like Nets) to lower Wizards payroll by $2.2M.

I think that Spurs best chance to get Haywood is if it helps Wizards luxury tax situation. Wizards are actually $8.8M above the tax. At the end of the week, they will know how long Arenas is suspended and their new luxury tax situation. If Wizards are still a little above the threshold, trading Haywood to get under it could be a good choice for them.

And there are still dozens of trades about players Spurs should trade for. I'm not sure this one was necessary.

TIMMYD!
01-24-2010, 04:59 PM
Bruno is making a great point, if Arenas is out for the rest of the season and his contract is nullified, the Wizards might want to get rid of Haywood or Jamison.

jason1301
01-24-2010, 05:39 PM
That guy would be awesome in Spurs uniform, but like most posters already noticed its a long shot. We don't really need Mason and/or Ian.

TP/Manu/Hill playing at 1-2
RJ/Fin at 3
Timmy/Haywood/Bonner/Blair/Dice at 4-5

that would so sick...

z0sa
01-24-2010, 05:53 PM
lol clippers
lol wizards

but no lol to Haywood. Guy is just what we need. Pop would still put small ball out on the floor though.

HarlemHeat37
01-24-2010, 05:54 PM
It would be kind of funny if we acquire him and Pop continues to play RJ and Finley at the 4 with Duncan..

HAITAO
01-24-2010, 08:05 PM
His ability to score not work

Mr.Bottomtooth
01-24-2010, 08:05 PM
No. No it wouldn't be.

:lmao

murpjf88
01-24-2010, 08:06 PM
I still like Kaman better.

boutons_deux
01-24-2010, 08:26 PM
Nobody brought in now is gonna have much impact, won't know the defense, would have to be very talented player with very solid fundamentals, esp on defense.

poop
01-24-2010, 08:28 PM
It would be kind of funny if we acquire him and Pop continues to play RJ and Finley at the 4 with Duncan..

this probably what would actually happen. remember when we got gooden it took forever for pop to give him any real time, then he sat most of the dallas debacle

sananspursfan21
01-24-2010, 08:37 PM
i've been admiring his game for 2 years now and always thought he'd make a good fit. in the straightest way possible, he'd look really good in a spurs uniform

HarlemHeat37
01-24-2010, 08:39 PM
A player that doesn't know the system is still a massive upgrade over any of our non-Duncan bigs defensively, there's not really any argument against that IMO..

Any way you put it, the Spurs need a big man that has size or athleticism, preferably size..we don't have that right now, Duncan is the only guy with size, and the only big we have with athleticism doesn't see the floor..

TimDunkem
01-24-2010, 08:47 PM
His ability to score not work
We need scoring? lol

RuffnReadyOzStyle
01-24-2010, 09:00 PM
Haywood has had sone monster game as of late. And when you look at the Spurs needs vs the Wizards needs you start to wonder if Jamison and Haywood for Jefferson and Mason would work out in both teams interest. Mason is that high quality guy that got away from the washingon organization and both Haywood and Tawn would stack our thin front line.

Usually your proposals make sense, but that one doesn't. The Wizards don't need another SF in RJ (they have Butler), and Tawn is a very valuable player. No way the Wiz touch that one however much we'd like to greenlight it. :lol

RuffnReadyOzStyle
01-24-2010, 11:02 PM
Just a double check on Jamison's contract situation. He has 28.6 million dollars coming to him over the next few years. I don't think Cleveland will want to commit that much with the chance of no LeBron next season. LA can't afford that, Boston can't match the salaries(and really has no need for him). I think the spurs can make this trade.

But Tawn isn't just attractive to contenders - any team in the league that needs a scorer/rebounder would love Tawn. I think they'll be getting offers from all over the place, because even with that salary you get an All-Star calibre player.

However, I hope you are right and I am wrong. Tawn is the perfect smallball 4 (who plays more like a bigball 4 but could fool Pop into thinking it was smallball! :lol ), and Haywood would give us a legit Twin Towers (ala 2003, not 1999) to defend inside again. I'd pull the trigger on your trade in a nano second, even if we had to include next year's first rounder. It would still leave us with a gimpy PG and a declining Manu, and I don't think it would result in a trophy this year, but I think it'd give us a great shot next year as we could go back to being a defensive-minded team. The big question is would this deal be worth the rights to Splitter, and given that we're in a win now situation, I say yes.

MaNu4Tres
01-24-2010, 11:07 PM

He did it with Kurt in 2008 against LA. He did it with Nazr in 2006. Don't be surprised.

MaNu4Tres
01-25-2010, 12:21 AM
Nazr, like Elson, fell out of the rotation after the Spurs won the championship.

Uh not really. Pretty sure Nazr started everyone of the last 30 games of the regular season and the 3 first games against Sacramento in the first round. He also played in 80 games overall in the regular season. He didn't fall out of the rotation.

mountainballer
01-25-2010, 07:56 AM
also wrote it in another thread.
the price for Haywood isn't a pick (unless it's a lottery pick, something no lottery bound team will offer for a 40 games rental of Haywood), it is taking Blatche or Stevenson either and expirings in return. (as Bruno said, the more cap relieve they get out of this trade, the better).
not that they didn't like an additional 1st rounder, but it's not the teaser that makes them bite.
offer them Mason, Fin and Ian for Haywood and Blatche and they are delivered to SA this afternoon.
(move would cost the Spurs about 1 million in additional salary plus 2 million in taxes for this season and another 7 million for the next two years for Blatche, plus another 3 million in taxes, if they are tax payers next year. that's big money for a questionable improvement)
yes, Bird rights for Haywood etc., he will command at least MLE type money for at least 3 seasons (Spurs will need to beat such MLE offers), but this would also mean no Splitter. (who likely would be the less costly but more talented solution in the long run)

FO already grabbed deep into Holt's pockets to get RJ and it was a total flop. you really think he brings forward an amount of another 10 million for a 40 games rental of a mediocre player, when there isn't a guarantee he will improve the team to contender level?
Not before they didn't solve the RJ situation at first.
if they can turn back time by getting rid of him in a trade that brings back some cap relieve and expirings, then maybe. but this will be the first step.

Chieflion
01-25-2010, 08:09 AM
also wrote it in another thread.
the price for Haywood isn't a pick (unless it's a lottery pick, something no lottery bound team will offer for a 40 games rental of Haywood), it is taking Blatche or Stevenson either and expirings in return. (as Bruno said, the more cap relieve they get out of this trade, the better).
not that they didn't like an additional 1st rounder, but it's not the teaser that makes them bite.
offer them Mason, Fin and Ian for Haywood and Blatche and they are delivered to SA this afternoon.
(move would cost the Spurs about 1 million in additional salary plus 2 million in taxes for this season and another 7 million for the next two years for Blatche, plus another 3 million in taxes, if they are tax payers next year. that's big money for a questionable improvement)
yes, Bird rights for Haywood etc., he will command at least MLE type money for at least 3 seasons (Spurs will need to beat such MLE offers), but this would also mean no Splitter. (who likely would be the less costly but more talented solution in the long run)

FO already grabbed deep into Holt's pockets to get RJ and it was a total flop. you really think he brings forward an amount of another 10 million for a 40 games rental of a mediocre player, when there isn't a guarantee he will improve the team to contender level?
Not before they didn't solve the RJ situation at first.
if they can turn back time by getting rid of him in a trade that brings back some cap relieve and expirings, then maybe. but this will be the first step.
I don't think Blatche is considered a liability to the Wizards, he has been a decent back up power forward for them and has potential to become a good starter. Stevenson is the real guy they would like to get rid of. His shooting percentages don't even resemble a NBA player.

mountainballer
01-25-2010, 08:24 AM
I don't think Blatche is considered a liability to the Wizards, he has been a decent back up power forward for them and has potential to become a good starter. Stevenson is the real guy they would like to get rid of. His shooting percentages don't even resemble a NBA player.

Blatche reportedly has been on the block for weeks and his immature behavior in the last weeks also didn't help his case.
(he isn't a bad prospect though. but inconsistent, raw and immature. next draft will be extremely big man heavy. many teams will find similar prospects with more upside but for a lower price then. guys like Jerome Jordan, Ekpe Udoh or Larry Sanders )

The Truth #6
01-25-2010, 08:28 AM
Uh not really. Pretty sure Nazr started everyone of the last 30 games of the regular season and the 3 first games against Sacramento in the first round. He also played in 80 games overall in the regular season. He didn't fall out of the rotation.

After he didn't sign an extension in the Summer his role diminished immediately.

Chieflion
01-25-2010, 08:36 AM
Blatche reportedly has been on the block for weeks and his immature behavior in the last weeks also didn't help his case.
(he isn't a bad prospect though. but inconsistent, raw and immature. next draft will be extremely big man heavy. many teams will find similar prospects with more upside but for a lower price then. guys like Jerome Jordan, Ekpe Udoh or Larry Sanders )
I always thought he was immature. Hanging around with Gilbert Arenas will do that to anybody. At least he isn't a J.R Smith. I heard about his work ethic, I believe his game has improved this season, but he isn't going to get huge minutes behind Jamison and Haywood which made him quite inconsistent, he can put up 20/10 quickly or put up a miserable 6/6 in an entire game.

ElNono
01-25-2010, 08:36 AM
Haywood thread!!!!!

will_spurs
01-25-2010, 08:54 AM
but no lol to Haywood. Guy is just what we need. Pop would still put small ball out on the floor though.

QFT.

We could have Howard, West and Noah, they would still be glued to the bench because Pop would rather play me at the PF spot--just because I'm 5'9".

The Truth #6
01-25-2010, 09:10 AM
I still think Haywood is Dampier v. 2. Playing for a contract...

MaNu4Tres
01-25-2010, 09:59 AM
After he didn't sign an extension in the Summer his role diminished immediately.

What summer?

Bruno
01-25-2010, 10:03 AM
Blatche is clearly on the trading block. He has a crappy attitude (http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/sports/blogs/pick-and-roll/Three-Wizards-speak-to-authorities-Blatche-suspended-for-Tuesday-81149647.html) and after the Arenas debacle, Wizards are surely looking to dump bad apples.

Now, if mountainballer is right and the price to take Haywood is to take Blatche or Stevenson, I would gladly do it with Blatche.

I doubt Spurs will enter the 2010 year with Blair, McDyess and Splitter as supporting cast with Duncan because McDyess will be on his last leg and Splitter will be a rookie. Spurs will have another vet PF/C under contract and I rather have Blatche on a $6.8M/2 years contract than Bonner signed to a new contract.

A trade like Mason+Bonner+Mahinmi for Haywood+Blatche with Mahinmi going to a third team (Nets) would be damn great for Spurs. I would even add Spurs' 2010 first round pick.

However if the price to get Haywood is Stevenson, I would pass. Stevenson is arguably the worst player in the NBA and paying $4.2M in 2011 for nothing is damn ugly.

doobs
01-25-2010, 10:18 AM
Ah, baseless trade speculation.

MaNu4Tres
01-25-2010, 10:35 AM
But when the games really counted in the playoff he didn't play. It was his fault really, after game 1 of the first round Pop was so mad at him for shhoting a 3 pointer that he saw fewer minutes.

But for the majority of the year he did not fall out of the rotation. That was my point.

gift of gab
01-25-2010, 12:25 PM
I always thought he was immature. Hanging around with Gilbert Arenas will do that to anybody. At least he isn't a J.R Smith. I heard about his work ethic, I believe his game has improved this season, but he isn't going to get huge minutes behind Jamison and Haywood which made him quite inconsistent, he can put up 20/10 quickly or put up a miserable 6/6 in an entire game.

blatche got in trouble a few years ago for soliciting a prostitute. any nba player who has to resort to paying for ass has to be a complete idiot and very immature. like a nba player cant get ass without paying cash money for it with all the groupies and stuff. no thanks to that dude. Pop's reasoning might be different, but he doesnt want that kind of problem. that being said, blatche has an ass ton of talent for a big (can dribble, pass and is athletic but basketball IQ is something akin to mahimnis

hater
01-25-2010, 12:27 PM
Haywood is soft and very inconsistent. Not to mention he often plays with no heart or effort. Think twice before wanting him.

MaNu4Tres
01-25-2010, 01:14 PM
He has nothing to play for right now.

His next contract, which he will sign this summer.