PDA

View Full Version : McDonald: As Bulls' Rose stars, Spurs' Hill blossoms

duncan228
01-25-2010, 01:03 AM
As Bulls' Rose stars, Spurs' Hill blossoms (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/As_Bulls_Rose_stars_Spurs_Hill_blossoms.html)
Jeff McDonald

Two Junes ago, Spurs guard George Hill sat in the clubhouse of his apartment complex in Indianapolis, surrounded by friends and family, wondering if he had made the biggest mistake of his life.

He had renounced his final year of eligibility at Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis (IUPUI) to enter the NBA draft. As he was watching the names of lucky draftees scroll past on the TV screen before him, Hill allowed himself a moment of doubt.

“Twenty goes past, and you don't hear your name,” Hill said. “You start to wonder, ‘Did I make a mistake?'”

Derrick Rose, Hill's counterpart tonight at the AT&T Center, had no such draft-day worries in 2008. The only moment of doubt he might have had likely involved which suit to wear for his photo-op with David Stern.

As expected, the Chicago Bulls made the one-year wonder from Memphis the No. 1 overall pick. Twenty-five selections later, with substantially less fanfare, the Spurs finally put Hill out his misery.

One went No. 1 as a “can't miss” future star. The other went No. 26 as a “who's that?” flier.

A season and a half later, the Bulls are getting everything they could want out of Rose, last year's Rookie of the Year and an All-Star in the making. The Spurs, meanwhile, are getting more than they bargained for from Hill, who snuck into the starting lineup at shooting guard three games ago and is poised to remain there a while.

“He's beginning to come into his own,” said Spurs coach Gregg Popovich, whose team is looking to stop a two-game skid. “He contributes at both ends of the floor and is getting smarter all the time.”

Hill, 23, is averaging 10 points and — thanks to an improved jumper — hitting 45.3 percent from the field and 38.1 percent from 3-point range. In three starts since being elevated to the starting backcourt, he is averaging 15.7 points.

With length that belies his 6-foot-2 frame and enough athleticism to cover point guards and small forwards alike, Hill provides the Spurs with defensive flexibility. He could start on Rose tonight.

“He's a very explosive player who provides us with some versatility defensively,” Manu Ginobili said. “He's been good for us.”

The first and next-to-last guards selected in the first round of the 2008 draft, Rose and Hill are two different players shouldering two different sets of expectations. In many ways, their storylines were set on draft day.

In Chicago, Rose was the golden child sent to revive a franchise that has floundered since Michael Jordan left. In San Antonio, Hill was the latest in a series of little-known draftees that sent fans scrambling to Google.

Hill was never considered a lottery pick. Even at 26th, some believed the Spurs had reached. Hill, not surprisingly, disagreed.

“I always felt like, when I kept my name in the draft, my workout would speak for itself,” Hill said. “I told myself I was only going to keep my name in if I performed at a first-round level, and that's how I felt.”

The slam-dunk No. 1 pick, Rose averaged 16.8 points and 6.3 assists as a rookie and is contributing a team-leading 19.4 points this season. With his outside shot still a work in progress, Rose, 21, has experienced some bumps as a sophomore, but is coming off a 32-point performance at Phoenix on Friday and a 20-point outing Saturday at Houston.

Tonight, he will take his customary spot in the starting lineup for the Bulls. Across the floor, the Spurs are likely to start another guard from the Class of 2008.

Only one was labeled a can't-miss prospect. So far, neither of them have.

To Hill, it is just further confirmation that his draft-day doubts were worth it.

“I always felt like things happen for a reason,” Hill said. “It's easy to say now I made the right decision.”

tlongII
01-25-2010, 01:30 AM
LOL George Hill.

Chieflion
01-25-2010, 01:31 AM
LOL George Hill.
How's Steve Blake working out for you guys?

duhoh
01-25-2010, 01:38 AM
How's Steve Blake working out for you guys?

:tu

/tlong

ffadicted
01-25-2010, 03:44 AM
George Hill is the fucking man, I love that guy. I love DRose too, I hope they go at it tonight, I'd love to see that

bigdog
01-25-2010, 04:02 AM
GHill is loaded with so much potential, and continues to show it. If he continues to improve and get smarter, watch out. This guy is gonna be very solid for years to come.

Duncan21kid
01-25-2010, 04:32 AM
I love GH3

anyone have any opinions wether he will only be a role player and nothing more or can he develope into a allstar/franchise player ?

kace
01-25-2010, 04:54 AM
George Hill is the fucking man, I love that guy. I love DRose too, I hope they go at it tonight, I'd love to see that

funny post :lol

you must be one of the most regular Tony's basher for him not being a pass first PG and now you say that you love DRose :lol

at this stage of his young career, Rose is basically TP with a lower FG %. His ceiling could be TP last year level. so why hate TP style ? you can't argue with hate i guess.

Johnny RIngo
01-25-2010, 06:32 AM
I love GH3

anyone have any opinions wether he will only be a role player and nothing more or can he develope into a allstar/franchise player ?

All-star? Doubt it. Even Parker and Ginobili, with all their talent, have trouble making the AS squads.

Franchise Player? Impossible. That title is reserved for the best players in the league(Lebron, Kobe, Wade, Paul, Dirk, TD, etc)

hsxvvd
01-25-2010, 08:06 AM
I love GH3

The best we can hope for is that he'll be the starter on a championship winning team.:flag:

all_heart
01-25-2010, 09:52 AM
I love GH too, he hustles out there and makes some nice plays. I say rest TP the week before or after the all-star break, so he'll have 2 weeks of rest. Let GH and Manu take up PG spot, no Mason!! Maybe RJ can get it going too with more touches.

Leftyventricle
01-25-2010, 02:47 PM
rose, blossoms? nice wordplay mcdonald.

Brazil
01-25-2010, 03:07 PM
maybe there won't be a hill / rose matchup.

Rose a game-time call Monday: According to Bulls announcer Chuck Swirsky's Twitter feed, Derrick Rose (http://fantasynews.cbssports.com/fantasybasketball/players/playerpage/1622510) will be a game-time decision for Monday's game in San Antonio due to an illness.
(Updated 01/25/2010).

SenorSpur
01-26-2010, 01:35 PM
I love Hill too. I wish he were about 2-3 inches taller. Hope he has a long career with the Spurs.

While we weren't looking Pop has inserted two of the youngest players on the roster, into the starting lineup. Never thought it were possible.

Now if the Spurs can go into the draft and get a long, athletic, SF, they'll set themselves up to perhaps re-open that window that appears has just closed.