PDA

View Full Version : Hairston Named D-League Player Of The Week

Spurs Brazil
01-25-2010, 01:44 PM
http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/64261/20100125/hairston_named_d_league_player_of_the_week/

Hairston Named D-League Player Of The Week

Jan 25, 2010 12:42 PM EST
Malik Hairston of the Austin Toros was today named NBA Development League Performer of the Week for games played during the week of Jan. 18, 2010.

Hairston, on assignment from the San Antonio Spurs, led Austin to a 4-0 record last week, including victories over the Erie BayHawks, Fort Wayne Mad Ants, Maine Red Claws, and Springfield Armor. He scored a team-season-high 43 points in an overtime road victory over the Red Claws in Portland, Maine on Jan. 22.

Hairston averaged 35.8 points, shooting 49 percent (48-of-99) from the field to go with 3.8 rebounds and 3.5 assists. He scored more than 30 points in all four contests last week.

Other top performers last week included Albuquerque’s Antoine Agudio, who averaged 19.0 points and 3.5 assists in three games for the Thunderbirds; Springfield’s Morris Almond, who averaged 28.0 points and 2.5 rebounds in two games for the Armor; Rio Grande Valley’s Mike Harris, who averaged 25.0 points and 7.3 rebounds in three games for the Vipers; Austin’s Dwayne Jones, who averaged 17.3 points and 14.0 rebounds in four games for the Toros; Idaho’s Coby Karl, who averaged 32.0 points and 9.5 rebounds in two games for the Stampede; Tulsa’s Mustafa Shakur, who averaged 25.0 points, 6.5 rebounds and 6.5 assists in two games for the 66ers; Iowa’s Curtis Stinson, who averaged 18.5 points and 13.0 assists in two games for the Energy; and Sioux Falls’ Reggie Williams, who averaged 27.5 points and 4.5 rebounds in two games for the Skyforce.

intothechaos
01-25-2010, 01:52 PM
If I were Pop I would have let this guy play over Bogans. But when the guy is tearing it up averaging 35 a game that should account for somethin. I know it's the d-league but still.

DBMethos
01-25-2010, 01:54 PM
Poor Malik. If only he were 10 years older...

TwelveGs210
01-25-2010, 02:05 PM
Pop gets a hard-on for 30+ on the decline vets..in the past it has worked i know, but this is an evolving league, and I think the coaching approach is staying in neutral.

timvp
01-25-2010, 02:10 PM
Looks like it was a good decision to guarantee his contract. Otherwise, I'm guessing Hairston would be getting a 10-day contract from some team right about now.

intothechaos
01-25-2010, 02:12 PM
It's like Pop is glam rock and along comes the grunge era..... Pop is still singing his monster ballads..... While the league is rockin heavy pops spurs are still singin every rose has it's thorn....sorry. I had to. But I do like 80s rock still...

Chomag
01-25-2010, 02:14 PM
If only Pop understood it takes minutes to develop a player with potential. Also putting a player in trash time minutes only is not development.

Glad to see Hairston beasting it in D-league as he should be as he is too good for that League and should be on a NBA teams roster getting minutes. There is no doubt he is NBA material, just wish Pop would have see the same thing.

TwelveGs210
01-25-2010, 02:23 PM
If we are gonna give PT to these "trusted veterans" Pop always relies on and STILL lose every other game, why dont we develop some young guys on the way to our lottery pick?? I'm jk bout us in the lottery, but seriously us being good enough to JUST get us in the playoffs isnt gonna work, might as well start next seasons plans now, and get these guys some minutes.

wildbill2u
01-25-2010, 04:18 PM
Pop is showcasing him in D league, hoping to attract a trade from a team with a 35-40 year old veteran (with something left in the tank that only Pop can see)

ffadicted
01-25-2010, 04:20 PM
I wonder how Bogans would do in the D League lol

bobby4germany
01-25-2010, 04:21 PM
Pop is showcasing him in D league, hoping to attract a trade from a team with a 35-40 year old veteran (with something left in the tank that only Pop can see)

LOL, the sad thing is that your probably right!

TJastal
01-25-2010, 04:53 PM
Ain't that a bitch. Mason should have been the starting SG and Hairston could have been that energy guy off the bench. What a damn waste.

Bogans has turned out to be exactly what he has been his whole career, a journeyman with marginal NBA talent.. while Hairston has done nothing but prove himself capable of an NBA roster spot over and over and over and over again, yet never gets the chance to show it on the big stage.

It ain't too late to call up Hairston and perhaps salvage the relationship between Malik and the spurs (and send Bogans on a 1 way trip to a remote island in the Pacific) but you know that ain't gonna happen.

Ahh well, glad its not my money.

mexicanjunior
01-25-2010, 05:16 PM
Terrible because he has 2 moves. a 3 Point shot and slicing down the baseline.

You forgot his patented travel after a pump fake...

TimDunkem
01-25-2010, 05:19 PM
I don't hate Bogans or anything, but after watching every Summer League game, going to every pre-season home game, and watching both Spurs and Toro games; I am seriously dumbfounded as to why this kid can't get playing time over Keith Bogans.

AusSpursFan
01-25-2010, 05:20 PM
Ain't that a bitch. Mason should have been the starting SG and Hairston could have been that energy guy off the bench. What a damn waste.

Bogans has turned out to be exactly what he has been his whole career, a journeyman with marginal NBA talent.. while Hairston has done nothing but prove himself capable of an NBA roster spot over and over and over and over again, yet never gets the chance to show it on the big stage.

It ain't too late to call up Hairston and perhaps salvage the relationship between Malik and the spurs (and send Bogans on a 1 way trip to a remote island in the Pacific) but you know that ain't gonna happen.

Ahh well, glad its not my money.

My point exactly, why do we continue to waste good talent? Look at Dragic in Phoenix, he is producing off the bench yet our young prospects are languishing away in the D-League or at the end of the bench (exception Hill). Does anyone know what happened to Williams?

Ryvin1
01-25-2010, 05:21 PM
You forgot his patented travel after a pump fake...

Think he averages almost one of those every game.

TimDunkem
01-25-2010, 05:27 PM
Ime was better at the pump fake. Too bad he never made one shot after faking someone out. :depressed

Johnny RIngo
01-25-2010, 05:33 PM
My point exactly, why do we continue to waste good talent? Look at Dragic in Phoenix, he is producing off the bench yet our young prospects are languishing away in the D-League or at the end of the bench (exception Hill). Does anyone know what happened to Williams?

It all starts with Pop. Just look at his obsession with Finley the past two years.

Phenomanul
01-25-2010, 05:54 PM
Hairston is a redux of S. Jackson.... without any of the off-court issues.

Lite....

timtonymanu
01-25-2010, 06:44 PM
Hairston's got more heart right now than a few ghost on the team. Poor guy deserves to play.

J_Paco
01-25-2010, 07:01 PM
Other than height, Hairston has all off the tools to be an defensive-minded, slashing and athletic wing player at the NBA level. Shit, lesser talented guys have been getting run on other NBA teams. Apparently, a youth-movement only consists of Hill and Blair earning minutes as role players????

If the dynasty is truly dead, then the finger needs to be pointed at R.C. and Pop. They've wasted (thus far) two 1st round draft picks on a guy who may or may not come over to play over here in the States (Tiago) and another on a guy (Ian) that may have potential, but can't find playing time behind old ass vets (Antonio and Theo) and a non-athletic/outside shooting big (Matt).

I believe this team would've had similar growing pains with Malik, George, DeJuan and Ian being the key role-players, but the future would be much clearer and (hopefully) optimistic..... :bang:bang

objective
01-25-2010, 07:09 PM
I don't hate Bogans or anything, but after watching every Summer League game, going to every pre-season home game, and watching both Spurs and Toro games; I am seriously dumbfounded as to why this kid can't get playing time over Keith Bogans.

You make good points, but there's nothing to be dumbfounded over, the reason's quite simple.

:pop:

tp2021
01-25-2010, 07:14 PM
Other than height, Hairston has all off the tools to be an defensive-minded, slashing and athletic wing player at the NBA level. Shit, lesser talented guys have been getting run on other NBA teams. Apparently, a youth-movement only consists of Hill and Blair earning minutes as role players????

If the dynasty is truly dead, then the finger needs to be pointed at R.C. and Pop. They've wasted (thus far) two 1st round draft picks on a guy who may or may not come over to play over here in the States (Tiago) and another on a guy (Ian) that may have potential, but can't find playing time behind old ass vets (Antonio and Theo) and a non-athletic/outside shooting big (Matt).

I believe this team would've had similar growing pains with Malik, George, DeJuan and Ian being the key role-players, but the future would be much clearer and (hopefully) optimistic..... :bang:bang

Perhaps the FO feels the same way. And the next time the Spurs have a championship window open, they will learn from their mistakes. If there is a next time.

J_Paco
01-25-2010, 07:24 PM
Perhaps the FO feels the same way. And the next time the Spurs have a championship window open, they will learn from their mistakes. If there is a next time.

Yeah, but when will 2 all-time great big men fall in their lap, again? They've wasted the last three seasons of the "Tim Duncan" Era, because they couldn't get "younger" until it was too late, and our time on top maybe over.

Ice009
01-25-2010, 07:42 PM
If I were Pop I would have let this guy play over Bogans. But when the guy is tearing it up averaging 35 a game that should account for somethin. I know it's the d-league but still.

The whole thing is Hairston destroyed some young players in the Summer League and also Preseason yet those same players are getting rotation minutes in the NBA right now.

I don't understand why Pop never gave Malik extended court time. Malik is better than others that are getting court time in the NBA right now.

benefactor
01-25-2010, 07:58 PM
I wish they would call him back before the RRT, but I doubt that will happen. I'm sure Pop will have no problems finding minutes for the corpse of Finley as soon as he is active.

lurker23
01-25-2010, 08:16 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if Hairston is getting regular minutes by the end of the year. Doubly so if there's some sort of catalyst, such as a trade for a big that includes Mason and Finley.

Other than his general defense that we've seen at all levels, the thing that is really encouraging to me about Hairston's performance in the D-League is his ability to hit 3-pointers. He doesn't take a ton (~2 per game last year, ~3.5 per game this year), but his percentages have been very high (44% last year, 50% this year in a limited sample size). It's the same distance as the NBA, folks. Obviously he'd get less open looks in the NBA, but in general it should translate well to being a role player in the Spurs system.

ulosturedge
01-25-2010, 08:35 PM
Could have been using this guy in the rotation already. Instead they are happy trying to get there 2 million dollars worth out of Bogans. Why would you make an aquisition move for a player we already had? Malik is everything Bogans is with more athleticism and offensive potential. Not to mention he is no where near his ceiling as young as he is. Pop rather play it safe and use mediocre vets then take risks and try and develop raw talent. Even when the outcome wouldn't be any worse then it is right now. That offseason move pisses me off to this day because I knew that was the death of Malik having any chance of making an impact on our team this year.

HarlemHeat37
01-25-2010, 11:15 PM
Meh, everybody already knows how I feel about Hairston, I've been hyping him for a while..

I don't see any reason he can't play on this team right now..he would be the best perimeter defender we have along with Hill, and he actually draws fouls/finishes well at the rim..he also plays with a lot of energy..we don't have others like that on this team right now..

If you don't even want him on the roster, why not just play him to light a fire under RJ and the other corpses on the perimeter?..

HarlemHeat37
01-26-2010, 03:04 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if Hairston is getting regular minutes by the end of the year. Doubly so if there's some sort of catalyst, such as a trade for a big that includes Mason and Finley.

Other than his general defense that we've seen at all levels, the thing that is really encouraging to me about Hairston's performance in the D-League is his ability to hit 3-pointers. He doesn't take a ton (~2 per game last year, ~3.5 per game this year), but his percentages have been very high (44% last year, 50% this year in a limited sample size). It's the same distance as the NBA, folks. Obviously he'd get less open looks in the NBA, but in general it should translate well to being a role player in the Spurs system.

You really wouldn't be surprised?..

Obstructed_View
01-26-2010, 03:43 AM
Just to temper our enthusiasm, Coby Carl is averaging 30 points and 10 rebounds in the D league, too.

kenson-q
01-26-2010, 03:50 AM
Pop sucks!!!

KenziE
01-26-2010, 03:56 AM
Looks like it was a good decision to guarantee his contract. Otherwise, I'm guessing Hairston would be getting a 10-day contract from some team right about now.

thats the silver lining on this situation? we could have used him obviously

wheres that guy ERIC B when you need him cmon defend your coach POP again ....

lurker23
01-26-2010, 11:30 AM
You really wouldn't be surprised?..

A couple weeks ago if you'd asked me, yes, I would have been very surprised. Today, with the Spurs spiraling downward at a surprising rate, a trade going from "possible" to "almost certain," and Mailk practically hitting the front office over the head and saying, "I can play more than defense, put me on the court" (somewhat similar to Pop's revelation about George Hill in the last several games), no, it really wouldn't surprise me if Pop took a major flier on Malik during the RRT, especially if a trade pushes the restart button on chemistry anyway.

TJastal
01-26-2010, 11:53 AM
Hello POP. I don't know if you read this, but maybe someone will and clue you in.

Get this guy in the rotation already. This reduced 8 man rotation your tinkering with is a 100% sure way for everyone to burn out by the end of the year.

You obviously have seen the light with Bogans, now get the guy that should have been playing his minutes in so he can HELP the team. And don't give up on him if it takes a couple weeks. He obviously has the talent.

P.S Also please stop with the small ball lineups. Thx!

spurs50_
01-26-2010, 01:34 PM
80"s rock still kicks ass.

SenorSpur
01-26-2010, 02:01 PM
Isn't it amazing that we're saying the same thing about Hairston that many of us have said about Ian? He needs court time.

Obstructed_View
01-27-2010, 01:21 AM
Isn't it amazing that we're saying the same thing about Hairston that many of us have said about Ian? He needs court time.

No. What's amazing is that the coaching staff fails to see it. Maybe neither guy can play, but if you didn't think Ian could play, why put him in against the Nets? And after he went out and played well against the Nets, why never play him again?

erikuff
01-27-2010, 01:34 AM
I'm so sick of people begging for Hairston and Ian to play. This has gotten way out of hand.

Obstructed_View
01-27-2010, 01:41 AM
I'm so sick of people begging for Hairston and Ian to play. This has gotten way out of hand.

Yeah, might fuck up that great rhythm the team has going lately.

Ditty
01-27-2010, 02:11 AM
I dont see why hairston is not playing hopefully if a trade goes down with mason and finley leaving hairston comes back and at least start getting about 10 minutes a game he attacks the rim and solid defender I don't see why he is not on the 12 man roster besides seeing ratliff and Ian be all happy at the end of the bench this spurs team needs new blood and the front court needs to step up besides tim duncan defense wise, jefferson needs to get his head out of his ass, and parker needs to learn how to get down to play defense again dont get me wrong I like bogans and would like to keep him but isn't that shut down defender maybe the 2nd best defender on the team