PDA

View Full Version : Game Thoughts: Spurs vs. Rockets - Jan. 22

timvp
01-25-2010, 02:08 PM
If you have a panic button handy, go ahead and give it a push. The San Antonio Spurs are officially in trouble. After a home loss against the Utah Jazz, the encore was another home loss -- this time the Houston Rockets came into the AT&T Center and left with a 116-109 victory.

Right now, the Spurs are 25-17. The scary thing is that the Spurs have an extremely tough schedule the rest of the way, due both to the number of road games remaining and the quality of opponent. San Antonio is in the midst of a six-game homestand that was really the last chance to fatten up their record, however it obviously isn't happening.

The Rockets deserve a lot of credit for the win. They played with energy the entire game and got many above average performances -- namely by Kyle Lowry, who played like the best player on the court. Houston's backup point guard finished with 23 points, nine assists, six rebounds and two steals in 34 action packed minutes.

I'm not sure what to think about the Spurs right now. They've lost four out of their last five games (it would be 5-of-6 if not for Manu Ginobili's save against the Thunder) and just look like a worn out team whose cohesion level is heading south. Over the next couple weeks, we'll see if they can regain their footing or if they will continue spiraling into mediocrity.

Tim Duncan
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/.e1d/img/4.0/global/basketball/nba/players/3173.jpg
34:16 minutes, 25 points, 14 rebounds, 2 assists
5-for-13 from the field, 15-for-21 at the line

You can't fault Tim Duncan's effort in this one. He was physical on the offensive end, finishing with 21 free throw attempts -- the most since he's had in a game since the 2000-01 season. However, when he wasn't getting fouled, Duncan had trouble putting the ball in the hole. He was just 2-for-7 from the field heading into the fourth quarter. Defensively, Duncan was average. He rebounded well and rotated adequately well, though his defense against speed was lacking.

-------------------------------

Manu Ginobili
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/.e1d/img/4.0/global/basketball/nba/players/3380.jpg
32:22 minutes, 15 points, 6 rebounds, 2 assists, 4 turnovers
6-for-15 from the field, 2-for-7 on three-pointers

Manu Ginobili had an unusual game against the Rockets. Recently, he has played the role of a playmaker. On Friday, Ginobili was looking more toward the rim. He finished with a season-high 15 field goal attempts and had less than three assists for the first time in 18 games. Considering he shot poorly, defended without much intensity and had twice as many turnovers as assists, this outing was definitely a poor one for Ginobili.

Tony Parker
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/.e1d/img/4.0/global/basketball/nba/players/3527.jpg
36:24 minutes, 22 points, 10 assists, 2 steals, 2 turnovers
8-for-17 from the field, 6-for-6 at the line

This time, the loss can't be blamed on Tony Parker. He was very good in the first half -- totaling six assists in his first ten minutes. In the final two quarters, he had 16 points on nine field goal attempts. Defensively, Parker wasn't very good. Aaron Brooks blew by him with his speed and Lowry bullied him. Overall, Parker played better but the wait continues for a complete game out of the three-time All-Star.

Richard Jefferson
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/.e1d/img/4.0/global/basketball/nba/players/3523.jpg
29:09 minutes, 14 points, 2 rebounds, 2 turnovers
6-for-13 from the field, 2-for-3 on three-pointers

Richard Jefferson was back in the starting lineup -- and continued to underwhelm. He began the game looking better offensively but was just 2-for-6 in the second half. On defense, Jefferson was soft, slow and seemingly unmotivated. He didn't offer help on the boards and didn't have a single assist. I'm not sure if Jefferson is still dealing with a back issue or if he's legitimately regressing.

George Hill
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/images/basketball/nba/players/4488.jpg
35:12 minutes, 15 points, 5 assists, 2 turnovers
5-for-15 from the field, 3-for-9 on three-pointers, 2-for-2 at the line

George Hill started at shooting guard for the third straight game and once again put points on the board. However, Hill missed a number of open shots as the Rockets paid little attention to him on the perimeter. If Hill doesn't hit wide open three-pointers, his days as a starter at shooting guard won't last long. His playmaking, particularly in the first half, was better than usual. Defensively, he just wasn't that good. He had trouble against players both bigger and smaller.

DeJuan Blair
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/.e1d/img/4.0/global/basketball/nba/players/4642.jpg
22:11 minutes, 6 points, 7 rebounds
3-for-7 from the field

DeJuan Blair played well in his first stint -- racking up four points and four rebounds in six and a half minutes. The rest of the way, Blair was bad. He didn't play with much energy, which really hurt him on the defensive end. Blair's plus/minus tells the story for this game. In his first stint, he was a +10. The rest of the way, Blair was a -23.

Antonio McDyess
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/.e1d/img/4.0/global/basketball/nba/players/3004.jpg
18:39 minutes, 7 points, 6 rebounds
3-for-5 from the field

Antonio McDyess is another player whose effective worsened over the course of the contest. In the first half, he had seven points and five rebounds in 12 minutes. In his seven second half minutes, he was 0-for-1 from the field with one rebound. When McDyess was signed, the Spurs thought they were getting a consistent performer who comes to work with his hardhat each night. In reality, McDyess has been woefully inconsistent -- both in terms of production and effort.

Keith Bogans
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/.e1d/img/4.0/global/basketball/nba/players/3746.jpg
15:08 minutes, 3 points, 2 rebounds
1-for-2 from the field, 1-for-1 on three-pointers

Keith Bogans' recent poor play has apparently cost him his starting job. Coming off the bench for the first time since the middle of November, Bogans didn't do anything to win his job back. He played better defense than most of his counterparts but his play on that end didn't make up for his lack of offensive production. It'll be interesting to see if Pop goes back to Bogans or if this is a permanent switch.

Matt Bonner
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/.e1d/img/4.0/global/basketball/nba/players/3748.jpg
10:07 minutes, 2 points, 2 rebounds
1-for-3 from the field, 0-for-2 on three-pointers

The Matt Bonner Reincorporation Tour continues. Against the Rockets, Bonner looked better. He still hasn't hit a three-pointer since his return but he seems more confident playing with that glove on his hand and his defensive effectiveness was much improved. Pop appears committed to working Bonner back into the rotation.

Roger Mason, Jr.
http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/images/basketball/nba/players/3628.jpg
6:32 minutes, 2 assists

With Hill eating up more and more shooting guard minutes and Bonner's return allowing Pop additional options when wanting to space the court, Roger Mason, Jr. is the odd man out. In the last two games, Mason has only seen the court when Pop was desperate for offense. Considering how well he had been shooting, this is a somewhat surprising demotion for Mason.

Gregg Popovich
http://dailyelements.com/pop-stoic.jpg

Once again, the coaching left a lot to be desired. The turning point of the game was when Pop went to small ball in the first half with the Spurs up 48-37. The Rockets promptly went on a 15-3 run and never looked back. I also think Pop is playing Ginobili and Parker too many minutes and emptying their gas tanks before the fourth quarter. As for positives, I wholeheartedly agree with starting Hill and Jefferson on the wings and I hope we continue to see this starting lineup.

Offense

The offense wasn't the problem. While the Spurs only shot 41.8% from the field, they put up 109 points -- a number that should equate to a win. To overcome the low shooting percentage, the Spurs hit a respectable number of their three-point attempts (8-of-22), got to the free throw line (25-for-33) and pulled down 14 offensive rebounds. The Spurs also handled the ball well, finishing with 22 assists and only 11 turnovers.

Defense

The defense, on the other hand, was a disaster. The Rockets shot 55.1% from the floor and hit half of their 16 three-point attempts. They also went 22-for-27 from the line and racked up 27 assists. The Spurs aren't going anywhere -- much less the playoffs -- if their defense doesn't drastically improve from the embarrassment we witnessed on Friday.

Drive to Five

Yes, "must-win game" is a hyperbolic phrase right now but I really do think the Spurs must win Monday's game against the Chicago Bulls. If San Antonio doesn't get on track soon, this team's fragile cohesion could be shattered. Gotta get this one.

Believe.

Chomag
01-25-2010, 02:25 PM
I wonder if those that were calling names, calling people stupid, and ext. to the people who saw that the Spurs have problems earlier feel bad about doing so. I doubt it.:lol

Same of us just stayed away from the homer blinders and noticed things were not right with the team earlier then others. Maybe it was just easier to accept it where some just had a harder time.

Funny that there are still some that still think all is ok though.

Not to knock any Spurs players, but this just is not a very good team.

rAm
01-25-2010, 02:48 PM
Why is hill shooting 9 3-pointers? I know he is left open on the wing and thus has a wide-open 3, but no matter what he should not be shooting that many. Is he even considered a shooter?

ElNono
01-25-2010, 03:05 PM
Thanks timvp :tu

Brazil
01-25-2010, 03:06 PM
I wonder if those that were calling names, calling people stupid, and ext. to the people who saw that the Spurs have problems earlier feel bad about doing so. I doubt it.:lol

Same of us just stayed away from the homer blinders and noticed things were not right with the team earlier then others. Maybe it was just easier to accept it where some just had a harder time.

cool story bro, you want a medal ?

romsho
01-25-2010, 03:20 PM
While the losses hurt, its the way they are losing that is most worrisome. What is the ceiling for this group of players defensively? Is the reason they are a terrible defensive team right now effort, cohesion, or just not the right personnel? It's truly perplexing to watch a Gregg Popovich coached team play this style of basketball for this long. I know the missing 7 footer guarding the paint has really screwed up what the Spurs like to do on defense, but it shouldn't hurt to this extent. It's perplexing. Could we all have just overvalued the talent level on this team? They have to be better than this.

timvp
01-25-2010, 03:22 PM
Not to knock any Spurs players, but this just is not a very good team.?

This team has the players to be a very good team. The talent is undeniable.

timvp
01-25-2010, 03:25 PM
Why is hill shooting 9 3-pointers? I know he is left open on the wing and thus has a wide-open 3, but no matter what he should not be shooting that many. Is he even considered a shooter?

He has become a quality shooter -- especially on corner three-pointers (~42%). Most of his threes against the Rockets were from the corner ... so I can't really complain about those looks.

Bukefal
01-25-2010, 03:29 PM
Nice read! But, pushing the panic button? No thanks, there is no need to go all crazy. Yeah its going shitty and we have tough games coming up, but still, we'll overcome it. Im positive. The team just needs to step up and work their asses of.

timvp
01-25-2010, 03:34 PM
What is the ceiling for this group of players defensively?

I think this team can become a top five defensive team in the NBA. They have enough pieces to be a very good defensive team. It's doubtful that they could become a great defensive team ... but with an improved offense, this team could have a lot of success even if they reach "very good" on defense.

Brazil
01-25-2010, 03:40 PM
I think this team can become a top five defensive team in the NBA. They have enough pieces to be a very good defensive team. It's doubtful that they could become a great defensive team ... but with an improved offense, this team could have a lot of success even if they reach "very good" on defense.

to be very good on defense there are some big ifs.

They can reach very good if Dice begins to play at expected level and it's not granted, if Pop stops the small ball b/s and doesn't give 25 mn to matt and mike, if RJ begins to be concerned by his defensive role, if theo and/or ian could have some PT, if Hill keeps on shooting well to keep his starting job...

Dice
01-25-2010, 03:41 PM
?

This team has the players to be a very good team. The talent is undeniable.

I agree with this. I see too many games where multiple simple mistakes turn what would be a blowout into a loss. IF (and I'll admit this is getting to be a bigger and bigger if) they get everything together, they'll be a prime contender in the playoffs.

Bender
01-25-2010, 03:44 PM
He has become a quality shooter -- especially on corner three-pointers (~42%). Most of his threes against the Rockets were from the corner ... so I can't really complain about those looks.
hopefully Hill won't start camping out in the corner all the time, ala Bruce Bowen. Bowen didn't really have any other offense besides that, but Hill is young, athletic and has much more he's capable of.

SAGambler
01-25-2010, 03:44 PM
I've said it before and I'll say it again. On paper, this team should practically be unstoppable. In reality, they have a hard time beating their way out of a paper bag. And the thing is, there is no one thing you can put a finger on. On night it's excessive turnovers. Next night we are outrebounded by 15. Then comes the night where we shoot a quarter or two miserably. We get big leads, and then give them up. We just can't seem to play a complete 48 minute game.

And it's way too late to be using "the new players" excuse, the "injury" excuse, or any other excuse. Chances are, if they can't make it work yet, they are looking at an early exit come playoff time.

SAGambler
01-25-2010, 03:48 PM
to be very good on defense there are some big ifs.

They can reach very good if Dice begins to play at expected level and it's not granted, if Pop stops the small ball b/s and doesn't give 25 mn to matt and mike, if RJ begins to be concerned by his defensive role, if theo and/or ian could have some PT, if Hill keeps on shooting well to keep his starting job...

Sounds like a lot of "ifs" to me.

I remember saying once "if that damn dog hadn't of stopped to take a shit, he would've caught the rabbit. But he did, and the rabbit got away.

Ed Helicopter Jones
01-25-2010, 03:49 PM
Nice job as always.

Those of you who know me know I definitely lean toward the HOYA side of most Spurs arguments, but I feel like it's clearly panic button time. The Spurs 25-17 record has been built on patsies this year.

Like I mentioned in another thread, the Spurs were 11-10 against playoff competition in the 2007 championship season at the halfway point. This year it was 6-15, and three of those wins (LA without Gasol, The Mavs game with TD out, and the high scoring affair against Toronto at the beginning of the season) almost shouldn't count.

That '07 team went 14-7 against playoff teams in the season's second half. This year's Spurs need to show me that they can compete against the better teams before I'll really buy-in.

At this point we're the Drew Gooden of the NBA. We look pretty good on paper until you start looking at how we do in games that really matter. Then you realize this team is not showing an ability to play past the first round of the playoffs. Padding our stats against the crap teams and then losing to the good teams, over and over again, provides me with no confidence in our chances to do anything in the post season.

Penya
01-25-2010, 03:53 PM
I'm wondering why RMJ's playing time has decreased until almost zero minutes.

Brazil
01-25-2010, 03:55 PM
I'm wondering why RMJ's playing time has decreased until almost zero minutes.

cauz Hill is playing sg and defends

TimDunkem
cauz Hill is playing sg and defends
You think we have no need for RMJ anymore?

timvp
Nice job as always.

Those of you who know me know I definitely lean toward the HOYA side of most Spurs arguments, but I feel like it's clearly panic button time. The Spurs 25-17 record has been built on patsies this year.

Like I mentioned in another thread, the Spurs were 11-10 against playoff competition in the 2007 championship season at the halfway point. This year it was 6-15, and three of those wins (LA without Gasol, The Mavs game with TD out, and the high scoring affair against Toronto at the beginning of the season) almost shouldn't count.

That '07 team went 14-7 against playoff teams in the season's second half. This year's Spurs need to show me that they can compete against the better teams before I'll really buy-in.

At this point we're the Drew Gooden of the NBA. We look pretty good on paper until you start looking at how we do in games that really matter. Then you realize this team is not showing an ability to play past the first round of the playoffs. Padding our stats against the crap teams and then losing to the good teams, over and over again, provides me with no confidence in our chances to do anything in the post season.

Very good post. Bonus points for the Drew Good analogy :tu

I don't think Spurs fans on a whole really understand how easy the schedule has been so far. This has been the easiest first half of basketball that I can remember. The second half will be brutal. It's going to get ugly unless the Spurs step it up a few levels.

If the schedule weren't so difficult, I could buy the "Spurs just need to keep chipping away at that rock" approach. But given the circumstances, the Spurs have to start playing like they are in desperation mode. Pop, by playing his stars so many minutes as of late, obviously understands the magnitude of these games. If the team isn't panicking, something is wrong.

igruex
01-25-2010, 04:18 PM
The upcoming tougher schedule might work as an obligation to step it up and get serious on the intensity and cohesion we're absolutely lacking.

There's no doubt we would be a lot more comfortable having 4 or 5 more wins at this point, yet I think there is a slightly chance that this teams rebounds from now on on those departments early mentioned.

There's a not so slightly chance that issues like Parker (and Pop) out-of-sync with new playing possibilities the Spurs are offering cannot be fixed, and if so, there won't be any intensity level that would catch up with the very best teams in the league.

Muser
01-25-2010, 04:23 PM
Pop needs to go apeshit at rj, he needs to stop this soft bullshit play.

Gooshie
01-25-2010, 04:23 PM
I agree that the Spurs should be in panic mode. Another thing to consider: if you look at the Western Conference Standings, there are 11 legitimate teams that will be fighting for 8 spots. If playoff seeding comes down to tiebreakers (very likely), the Spurs are in trouble. Right now, we would lose every head to head tie breaker against all these playoff teams except the Lakers, Thunder, and Hornets.

We could be looking at a 6 - 8 seed or (gulp) not even making the playoffs if we continue the way we're playing.

mexicanjunior
01-25-2010, 04:38 PM

This is a just another way of saying "I effing told you so!"...which I am right there with you on. Too bad the homers felt it was more important to point out what month of the year it was and posting pictures of chicken little instead of looking at this team's problems for what they are...

Bender
01-25-2010, 04:40 PM
I'm not worried, it's only oh, never mind...

igruex
01-25-2010, 04:50 PM
This is a just another way of saying "I effing told you so!"...which I am right there with you on. Too bad the homers felt it was more important to point out what month of the year it was and posting pictures of chicken little instead of looking at this team's problems for what they are...

Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

roycrikside
01-25-2010, 04:54 PM
Manu Ginobili

32:22 minutes, 15 points, 6 rebounds, 2 assists, 4 turnovers
6-for-15 from the field, 2-for-7 on three-pointers

Manu Ginobili had an unusual game against the Rockets. Recently, he has played the role of a playmaker. On Friday, Ginobili was looking more toward the rim. He finished with a season-high 15 field goal attempts and had less than three assists for the first time in 18 games. Considering he shot poorly, defended without much intensity and had twice as many turnovers as assists, this outing was definitely a poor one for Ginobili.<<

I honestly don't know what game you were watching LJ. If you want to criticize Manu for shooting poorly or playing soft on defense, those are certainly legit criticisms, but you can't fault his passing at all.

He should've finished the game with like 10 assists. It was uncanny, especially in the first half, where no matter who he passed to, and how wide open the guy was, he would brick the shot. It didn't matter if it was a three, a 15-footer, or even a lay up, guys were missing every shot Manu created for them. Plus another three or four times, would-be assists for lay-ups turned into fouls as the Rox were hacking away in desperation.

Like I said, there were plenty of things to criticize about Manu's game, but his passing was top notch, as has been the case for most of the season. He created a good shot for himself or for a teammate literally every time he had the ball in his hands until the 4th quarter when he tired (as usual).

mexicanjunior
01-25-2010, 04:55 PM
Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

...but apparently a blind homer can be wrong for months at a time...

Brazil
01-25-2010, 04:59 PM
You think we have no need for RMJ anymore?

nope but apparently this what pop is thinking. He is playing manu tp 30 mn around 25 for hill not a lot of space for mase. If you add the fact that pop will give to his lover (finley) a lot of minutes too. Mase seems to be condamned to low minutes volume.

ffadicted
01-25-2010, 05:11 PM

Good point, if Hill is left on the wing and not feeling his shot that day, I want to see him dribble it in close and take a 15-18 foot jay, or even try to get to the basket. We've seen the aggressive side of hill, if the defense from the team is out of sync from ball movement or whatever reason, and hill is open in the perimeter, he should definitly be able to explode to the rim and finish a high % shot.

igruex
01-25-2010, 05:16 PM
I honestly don't know what game you were watching LJ. If you want to criticize Manu for shooting poorly or playing soft on defense, those are certainly legit criticisms, but you can't fault his passing at all.

He should've finished the game with like 10 assists. It was uncanny, especially in the first half, where no matter who he passed to, and how wide open the guy was, he would brick the shot. It didn't matter if it was a three, a 15-footer, or even a lay up, guys were missing every shot Manu created for them. Plus another three or four times, would-be assists for lay-ups turned into fouls as the Rox were hacking away in desperation.

If those players were making their shots at a normal rate Manu would've ended with 5-7 assists.

What happened against the Rockets have happened over the last 10 games (Spurs constantly missing open looks) it is called a shooting slump. If the Spurs would have been shooting as one of the best shooting teams in the NBA (as they are) Manu would be averaging over 8 assists during that stretch.

Therefore he didn't create enough for the Spurs to win and it was way down his capacity.

I think Timvp was too soft on Manu. It was the worst game in a while for Manu, he wanted the win so bad that he forced too much. Havoc result in bad shooting decisions, turnovers and lack of basketball timing.

benefactor
01-25-2010, 07:51 PM
Pop playing Manu for 30 minutes and basically not playing Mason is pretty stupid. Manu at 30mpg is almost guaranteed to be injured before the playoffs.

Cant_Be_Faded
01-25-2010, 08:59 PM

I don't believe that you really believe this. Not tryin to start shit, but come on dude.

lurker23
01-25-2010, 09:29 PM
I don't believe that you really believe this. Not tryin to start shit, but come on dude.

Spurs are currently 6th in opponent's PPG and 11th in opponent's FG%. You don't think with a little more gelling, focus, and few extra minutes distributed to defensive minded players that they could jump 3-5 spots?

Cant_Be_Faded
01-25-2010, 10:24 PM
Spurs are currently 6th in opponent's PPG and 11th in opponent's FG%. You don't think with a little more gelling, focus, and few extra minutes distributed to defensive minded players that they could jump 3-5 spots?

i care much more about fg%, and i think we will be lucky to stay at 11 in that category when this season is over and we have played all the opponents we will play.

moreover we seem to just flat out not be a very competitive western conference team. i'd like to see what our defensive rankings are against conference opponents.

SA210
01-25-2010, 10:49 PM
No Bruce and Pop's stubbornness was our premature downfall