PDA

View Full Version : I will finally end the abuse of no-bid contracts...

mogrovejo
01-25-2010, 05:51 PM
...once and for all. The days of sweetheart deals for Halliburton and the like will be over when I'm in the White House." - Barack Obama, October 2, 2008 (Video (http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2010/01/25/flashback_obama_promised_to_end_abuse_of_no-bid_contracts_on_campaign_trail.html))

Today:
[/URL][URL="http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/01/25/obama-administration-steers-lucrative-bid-contract-afghan-work-dem-donor/"]Obama Administration Steers Lucrative No-Bid Contract for Afghan Work to Dem Donor (http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/01/25/obama-administration-steers-lucrative-bid-contract-afghan-work-dem-donor/)

Despite President Obama's long history of criticizing the Bush administration for "sweetheart deals" with favored contractors, the Obama administration this month awarded a $25 million federal contract for work in Afghanistan to a company owned by a Democratic campaign contributor without entertaining competitive bids, Fox News has learned.

The contract, awarded on Jan. 4 to Checchi & Company Consulting, Inc., a Washington-based firm owned by economist and Democratic donor Vincent V. Checchi, will pay the firm $24,673,427 to provide "rule of law stabilization services" in war-torn Afghanistan.

A synopsis of the contract published on the USAID Web site says Checchi & Company will "train the next generation of legal professionals" throughout the Afghan provinces and thereby "develop the capacity of Afghanistan's justice system to be accessible, reliable, and fair."
The legality of the arrangement as a "sole source," or no-bid, contract was made possible by virtue of a waiver signed by the USAID administrator. "They cancelled the open bid on this when they came to power earlier this year," a source familiar with the federal contracting process told Fox News.

"That's kind of weird," said another source, who has worked on "rule of law" issues in both Afghanistan and Iraq, about the no-bid contract to Checchi & Company. "There's lots of companies and non-governmental organizations that do this sort of work."

"I think the administration should explain what the decision was based on, and why a no-bid contract was given in this case, particularly given that Mr. Obama came in on a pledge of 'no more no-bid contracts,'" said Melanie Sloan, executive director of Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington.

"There's really no explanation of why they had to make an exception in this case. And based on the facts before us, it doesn't appear that there was a need for an exception. It's not as if this was something urgently needed today; they couldn't have taken the time to get the bids, and make sure that American people were getting the best value," she added.

-----------------

Is there a single promise that Axelrod/Obama will keep?

EVAY
01-25-2010, 06:01 PM
[QUOTE=mogrovejo;4027497]...once and for all. The days of sweetheart deals for Halliburton and the like will be over when I'm in the White House." - Barack Obama, October 2, 2008 (Video (http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2010/01/25/flashback_obama_promised_to_end_abuse_of_no-bid_contracts_on_campaign_trail.html))

Today:
[/URL][URL="http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/01/25/obama-administration-steers-lucrative-bid-contract-afghan-work-dem-donor/"]Obama Administration Steers Lucrative No-Bid Contract for Afghan Work to Dem Donor (http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/01/25/obama-administration-steers-lucrative-bid-contract-afghan-work-dem-donor/)

Despite President Obama's long history of criticizing the Bush administration for "sweetheart deals" with favored contractors, the Obama administration this month awarded a $25 million federal contract for work in Afghanistan to a company owned by a Democratic campaign contributor without entertaining competitive bids, Fox News has learned.

The contract, awarded on Jan. 4 to Checchi & Company Consulting, Inc., a Washington-based firm owned by economist and Democratic donor Vincent V. Checchi, will pay the firm $24,673,427 to provide "rule of law stabilization services" in war-torn Afghanistan.

A synopsis of the contract published on the USAID Web site says Checchi & Company will "train the next generation of legal professionals" throughout the Afghan provinces and thereby "develop the capacity of Afghanistan's justice system to be accessible, reliable, and fair."

Based on the job description of "training the next generation of legal professionals throughout the Afghan provinces and thereby 'develop the capacity of Afghanistan's justice system to be accessible, reliable,and fair"
I can only concude that Checchi and Company must be a firm specializing in Magic.

spursncowboys
01-25-2010, 06:07 PM
[QUOTE=mogrovejo;4027497]...once and for all. The days of sweetheart deals for Halliburton and the like will be over when I'm in the White House." - Barack Obama, October 2, 2008 (Video (http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2010/01/25/flashback_obama_promised_to_end_abuse_of_no-bid_contracts_on_campaign_trail.html))

Today:

Based on the job description of "training the next generation of legal professionals throughout the Afghan provinces and thereby 'develop the capacity of Afghanistan's justice system to be accessible, reliable,and fair"
I can only concude that Checchi and Company must be a firm specializing in Magic.
:lmao

DarkReign
01-25-2010, 06:26 PM
Is there a single promise that Axelrod/Obama will keep?

No. But dont act surprised when you are not at all surprised.

Marcus Bryant
01-25-2010, 06:54 PM
http://photos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs194.snc3/20143_270317793462_8245623462_3404792_5116127_n.jp g

Wild Cobra
01-26-2010, 12:47 PM
No. But dont act surprised when you are not at all surprised.
Agreed.

Does anyone really really think that he meant to keep their any meaningful promises? Sure, he will let the Bush Tax cuts expire, and anything else that helps us serf. Just nothing meaningful.

Spursmania
01-26-2010, 12:57 PM
What a surprise. :rolleyes

More bullshit from the master of bullshit himself. Did any one other than bleeding radicals think he would keep many of his lameduck promises?

Wild Cobra
01-26-2010, 01:01 PM
One of these days, everyone who voted for Obama will wake up, and live in perpetual shame.

Maybe those lemmings will march off a cliff?

George Gervin's Afro
01-26-2010, 01:33 PM
One of these days, everyone who voted for Obama will wake up, and live in perpetual shame.

Maybe those lemmings will march off a cliff?

maybe you will finally acknowledge that all politicians make promises they can't keep.. or are you claiming Obama introduced this?

Hopefully you make your way to the cliff..

coyotes_geek
01-26-2010, 01:42 PM
On the bullcrap meter I'll rank this one above Obama's reversal on Roland Burris' appointment to the senate, but behind his reversal on making the health care talks public.

George Gervin's Afro
01-26-2010, 01:47 PM
On the bullcrap meter I'll rank this one above Obama's reversal on Roland Burris' appointment to the senate, but behind his reversal on making the health care talks public.

If he made the decision to give this with no competitive bid then he should be called to task for it. If someone in his administration did this then they need to be fired and he should still be called to task for it.

coyotes_geek
01-26-2010, 01:59 PM
The contract has already been awarded so it must be time to call him to task on it. Hence this thread.

Wild Cobra
01-26-2010, 02:15 PM
maybe you will finally acknowledge that all politicians make promises they can't keep.. or are you claiming Obama introduced this?

Hopefully you make your way to the cliff..
Will you please show me where I made any claim the opposition keeps their promises?

I tell you George... I get pretty tired of your assumptions about me. That's why I keep referring to you as in idiot, or some other thing like "you are retarded."

George Gervin's Afro
01-26-2010, 02:35 PM
Will you please show me where I made any claim the opposition keeps their promises?

I tell you George... I get pretty tired of your assumptions about me. That's why I keep referring to you as in idiot, or some other thing like "you are retarded."

So then why do you hold obama to different standards than all previous and current politicians?

Trainwreck2100
01-26-2010, 03:57 PM
I don't see what the problem is here, he clearly said "Halliburton and the like" If by "and the like" he meant "orgs. that funded repubs." Then it can be understood as The days of sweetheart deals for Halliburton and the orgs. that funded repubs will be over when I'm in the White House."

coyotes_geek
01-26-2010, 04:03 PM
I don't see what the problem is here, he clearly said "Halliburton and the like" If by "and the like" he meant "orgs. that funded repubs." Then it can be understood as The days of sweetheart deals for Halliburton and the orgs. that funded repubs will be over when I'm in the White House."

Oh, well that makes it all better. :rolleyes

Trainwreck2100
01-26-2010, 04:04 PM
Oh, well that makes it all better. :rolleyes

two words "plausible deniability"

coyotes_geek
01-26-2010, 04:15 PM
two words "plausible deniability"

Twelve months ago the two words were "hope" and "change". What a difference a year makes.

Thompson
01-26-2010, 04:38 PM
So then why do you hold obama to different standards than all previous and current politicians?

You're telling me you never criticized GWB? Obama campaigned on 'change' we could believe in. So much for that (and for the people who actually believed him).

George Gervin's Afro
01-26-2010, 04:48 PM
You're telling me you never criticized GWB? Obama campaigned on 'change' we could believe in. So much for that (and for the people who actually believed him).

hey johnny come lately. the obama haters were silent during previous administrations and I was asking why now all of a sudden does this stuff matter?

Winehole23
01-26-2010, 04:51 PM
hey johnny come lately. the obama haters were silent during previous administrations and I was asking why now all of a sudden does this stuff matter?I wasn't silent about it.

George Gervin's Afro
01-26-2010, 04:52 PM

Everyone else can get away with this... well of course that doesn't include obama.. he's held to a completely different standard which is par for the course.

George Gervin's Afro
01-26-2010, 04:53 PM
I wasn't silent about it.

I don't consider you an obama hater.

I have a problem with no bid contracs.

coyotes_geek
01-26-2010, 04:55 PM
Everyone else can get away with this... well of course that doesn't include obama.. he's held to a completely different standard which is par for the course.

Obama is only being held here to a standard which he set for himself.

George Gervin's Afro
01-26-2010, 04:58 PM
Obama is only being held here to a standard which he set for himself.

What? like the uniter he wanted to become? Am I going to have to go back and point out promises that weren't kept by previous administrations? Are you stating that he's the only person to ever to come into office with this high standard?

No he's held to a completely different standard by people who are butt hurt that he won.

Thompson
01-26-2010, 05:02 PM
hey johnny come lately. the obama haters were silent during previous administrations and I was asking why now all of a sudden does this stuff matter?

There was a cacophony of voices criticizing GWB, yours included I'm sure. I had problems with GWB, but they were pretty well represented, along with about 30,000 criticisms I didn't share.

If GWB had campaigned as Obama did on 'Change we can believe in,' and promised the things Obama has (no more no-bid contracts, for example), and then blatantly reneged on his promise, you would be at the forefront of people ridiculing him. Or do you honestly believe you'd be a Bush apologist, saying "...why now all of a sudden does this stuff matter?" I think everyone here knows you'd be at his throat.

George Gervin's Afro
01-26-2010, 05:07 PM
There was a cacophony of voices criticizing GWB, yours included I'm sure. I had problems with GWB, but they were pretty well represented, along with about 30,000 criticisms I didn't share.

If GWB had campaigned as Obama did on 'Change we can believe in,' and promised the things Obama has (no more no-bid contracts, for example), and then blatantly reneged on his promise, you would be at the forefront of people ridiculing him. Or do you honestly believe you'd be a Bush apologist, saying "...why now all of a sudden does this stuff matter?" I think everyone here knows you'd be at his throat.

I didn't hold GWB to his wanting to wanting unite the country. I am going to be a 'Uniter' I seem to remember...I guess i should have called him a liar for not uniting the country.. Apparently I am in the minority that politicians don't live up to campaign promises. Not that I agree with this however since it's Obama it's different. I am going to go on a limb and assume that there have been other presidential candidates that made claims that they were different from the last guy.. but it wouldn't matter to the obama haters.

My main beef with Bush was starting an unecessary war with 'less than accurate' evidence. Evidence that was contradicted but W used it anyway.. I'm not petty like the butt hurt obama haters.

coyotes_geek
01-26-2010, 05:16 PM
What? like the uniter he wanted to become? Am I going to have to go back and point out promises that weren't kept by previous administrations?

If you think it's relevant, go ahead and do it. If you choose to do so, please be sure to reference your posts where you pointed out to the people criticizing those other administrations that they weren't the only administration breaking promises. I'd hate for anyone to get the idea that you only use the "other people do it too" arguement for guys on one side of the political fence.

Are you stating that he's the only person to ever to come into office with this high standard?

I'm stating that he deserves to be called out for not meeting a standard he willingly set for himself.

No he's held to a completely different standard by people who are butt hurt that he won.

Up until a couple of posts ago I thought this guy was trying to hold him to a standard too. It's beginning to look like he has changed his mind.

If he made the decision to give this with no competitive bid then he should be called to task for it. If someone in his administration did this then they need to be fired and he should still be called to task for it.

George Gervin's Afro
01-26-2010, 05:23 PM
If you think it's relevant, go ahead and do it. If you choose to do so, please be sure to reference your posts where you pointed out to the people criticizing those other administrations that they weren't the only administration breaking promises. I'd hate for anyone to get the idea that you only use the "other people do it too" arguement for guys on one side of the political fence.

If you are slient about it and then complain about it your a hypocrite. I didn't complain about Bush not keeping campaign promises. You can find the posts since you are accusing me. It's not ok for either side to do it is my point. I have not defended Obama once regarding this yet the accusers were silent when everyone else did it. Got it?

Again I accept the fact that all politicians don't live up to all campaign promises. I am not going to be petty and call out republicans when they do it and ignore it when dems do it. That's the difference between you and I.

coyotes_geek
01-26-2010, 05:35 PM
If you are slient about it and then complain about it your a hypocrite. I didn't complain about Bush not keeping campaign promises. You can find the posts since you are accusing me. It's not ok for either side to do it is my point. I have not defended Obama once regarding this yet the accusers were silent when everyone else did it. Got it?

Typical GGA. Says he can back up his mouth and then dodges issue and changes the subject when someone actually calls on him to do it. You're the one who asked if you needed to go back and point out other examples, not me.

Again I accept the fact that all politicians don't live up to all campaign promises. I am not going to be petty and call out republicans when they do it and ignore it when dems do it. That's the difference between you and I.

No, the difference between you and I is that I will actually call out both republicans and democrats and you will only call out republicans. Whenever the dems do something you play the "everybody does it" card.

George Gervin's Afro
01-26-2010, 05:43 PM
If you think it's relevant, go ahead and do it. If you choose to do so, please be sure to reference your posts where you pointed out to the people criticizing those other administrations that they weren't the only administration breaking promises.

When you can find any thread that deals with this subject I will point out my posts. Please find the previous threads that dealt with presidential campaign promises that were broken. I'll wait..then you can really show me what a hypocrite I am. I would hate for that to happen..

George Gervin's Afro
01-26-2010, 05:44 PM
Typical GGA. Says he can back up his mouth and then dodges issue and changes the subject when someone actually calls on him to do it. You're the one who asked if you needed to go back and point out other examples, not me.

No, the difference between you and I is that I will actually call out both republicans and democrats and you will only call out republicans. Whenever the dems do something you play the "everybody does it" card.

The difference between you and me is that your petty and I'm not.

spursncowboys
01-26-2010, 05:51 PM

:nope

coyotes_geek
01-26-2010, 07:08 PM
When you can find any thread that deals with this subject I will point out my posts. Please find the previous threads that dealt with presidential campaign promises that were broken. I'll wait..then you can really show me what a hypocrite I am. I would hate for that to happen..

GGA: "Am I going to have to point out other examples?"

CG: "Go ahead."

GGA: "You do it."

If you say so.

TeyshaBlue
01-26-2010, 07:09 PM
The difference between you and me is that your pretty and I'm not.

fify:lol:lol

Wild Cobra
01-27-2010, 01:15 AM
Example please.

elbamba
01-27-2010, 04:08 PM

I would say it is akin to Republicans running on family values and then getting busted with hookers, texting underage boys, tapping on bathroom stalls or getting a "massage" from the m4m ad in your church bullitin.

spursncowboys
01-27-2010, 04:19 PM
I would say it is akin to Republicans running on family values and then getting busted with hookers, texting underage boys, tapping on bathroom stalls or getting a "massage" from the m4m ad in your church bullitin.
Moral of the story is to not have morals. Then you won't be a hypocrite.

George Gervin's Afro
01-27-2010, 04:47 PM
Moral of the story is to not have morals. Then you won't be a hypocrite.

Or don't be a hypocrite.

spursncowboys
01-27-2010, 04:57 PM
Or don't be a hypocrite. Anyone with beliefs will be a hypocrite sooner or later. No one is perfect.

George Gervin's Afro
01-27-2010, 05:01 PM
Anyone with beliefs will be a hypocrite sooner or later. No one is perfect.

I don't necessarily agree with that. Memo to those who campaign on family values: don't do it if your hitting on teenage boys, hitting on men in restrooms, or having an affair with an Argentine reporter..

spursncowboys
01-27-2010, 05:20 PM
I don't necessarily agree with that. Memo to those who campaign on family values: don't do it if your hitting on teenage boys, hitting on men in restrooms, or having an affair with an Argentine reporter..
So the biggest part of these three happenings is that the actors preached family values before? Not the actual act?

George Gervin's Afro
01-27-2010, 08:04 PM
So the biggest part of these three happenings is that the actors preached family values before? Not the actual act?

DOn't worry spursncowboys I acknowledge that there are many on the left who do the same things.