PDA

View Full Version : Knicks interested in PJ

Kori Ellis
04-28-2005, 01:08 AM
Spurs notebook: Brown, Nesterovic back in Spurs' lineup
Web Posted: 04/28/2005 12:00 AM CDT

San Antonio Express-News

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA042805.7C.BKNspurs.notebook.21e5b32f8.html

Manu Ginobili wasn't the only surprise the Spurs had in reserve Wednesday.

Devin Brown and Rasho Nesterovic, who were listed as doubtful to play, made their returns.

After missing the previous seven games with a sprained left ankle, Nesterovic came off the bench midway through the second quarter. He provided some steady defense.

"He and Devin were just out there to get loose and see how their bodies felt," Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said. "It didn't mean a whole lot, other than it had to happen sometime."

Brown entered the game midway through the fourth quarter to a standing ovation. He promptly drilled a 3-pointer.

"I heard the crowd, but I didn't want to look up because I probably would have gotten emotional," Brown said. "It's good to be back."

Brown hadn't played since March 21 because of a herniated disk in his lower back and a related nerve problem in his right leg. He had spent the past two weeks trying to regain the strength in his leg.

"It's difficult when guys have been out that long to just throw them out there without practicing a couple of times," Popovich said. "This isn't the time to experiment and see how guys are doing and see if they're healthy or not."

Brown's vertical leap and explosiveness have gradually improved day by day.

"It's just a matter of him being confident and coming down on (his leg)," Popovich said, "and he's feeling more and more confident each day."

Bowen honored: Bruce Bowen received the NBA's Community Assist Award for March before Game 2.

The NBA honored Bowen for starting his Get Fit program with local schools. Bowen partnered with H-E-B and the Spurs this season to recognize about 3,000 elementary-school children who practiced sound nutrition and fitness habits.

Bowen came up with the idea for the program while taking a public-relations course at UTSA.

Former Spurs center David Robinson presented Bowen with the David Robinson Plaque. The NBA named its monthly community-service award after Robinson during the 2002-03 season.

The NBA also made a $5,000 donation to Bowen's foundation.

Carlesimo contacted: The Spurs confirmed that the New York Knicks asked for permission to speak to assistant coach P.J. Carlesimo about their head coaching job.

Knicks general manager Isiah Thomas also was reported to have spoken with former Lakers coach Phil Jackson.

Carlesimo was head coach of the Portland Trail Blazers from 1994-97 and of the Golden State Warriors from 1997-2000.

Staying the course: After holding Tim Duncan to 18 points on 7-of-22 shooting in Game 1, Nuggets coach George Karl debated whether to adjust his defense to keep the Spurs guessing or to stick with what he did in Game 1.

Karl chose to keep it simple in Game 2, leaving Kenyon Martin on Duncan, as he did on Sunday.

"I thought about changing it up a little bit," Karl said, "but my gut said not to do it."

Najera returns: Denver forward Eduardo Najera, who had been sidelined since April 18 with a broken bone in his right hand, made his first appearance of the series.

Wearing a hard cast on his hand, Najera came off the bench to play four minutes in the first half, picking up a rebound and an assist without taking a shot.

No illusions: The Nuggets went into Game 2 not believing their Game 1 victory had given them a real edge.

"If you know the history of basketball, you understand the Spurs have lost Game 1 before and came back against a formidable opponent and beat that opponent," Nuggets center Marcus Camby said. "We can't be happy with just one win. There's a whole lot of series left."

Hiding Earl: The Nuggets have managed to survive defensively whenever Earl Boykins — at 5-foot-5, the NBA's shortest player — is in the game.

"The zone rules help us," Karl said. "You can post up Earl on us once, but you're not going to do it a lot. You might trick us into where our weak side is falling asleep, but we know that if Earl gets on the baseline and you're trying to force it, we're going to bring a big guy up to him."

milkyway21
04-28-2005, 01:54 AM
i love PJ. P.J. adores the Spurs esp. Tim Duncan. I always remember all his praises for Tim Duncan while doing some asst.coaching for the Spurs.

But, if it's the Knicks well, I'd be happy. It's where Malik is. I love N.Y.Knicks because it's the opposite of the L.A. Lakers. And rumors are the Knicks will try very hard to ink LeBron next season, and heard Lebron(though won't comment on it), is interested...