PDA

View Full Version : Harvey: Kerosene burns up the Spurs' system

duncan228
01-26-2010, 01:03 AM
Kerosene burns up the Spurs' system (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Kerosene_burns_up_the_Spurs_system.html)
Buck Harvey

Gregg Popovich went from irate to I-resign within a dribble. Angry with a call, he walked down the sideline to shake the winner's hand as the clock still ticked.

He should be getting used to this. As he once congratulated Avery Johnson and Doc Rivers after losing to them, he congratulated another former Spurs guard Monday night, Vinny Del Negro.

But this was different. This was a man once called Vinny El, because he had no D. This was the sweet jumpshooter who Popovich once exchanged for someone more rugged. This was someone who, a year ago, coached little defense in Chicago — and who has exactly what Popovich can't get back.

When Del Negro played in San Antonio, the Spurs weren't known for defense, either. The system then: Let David Robinson clean up the mistakes.

Del Negro, meanwhile, cleaned up with midrange jumpers. Defense was something he did while waiting for the next pass, and Rivers joked about this last spring during the Boston-Chicago playoff series.

“I used to call him ‘Kerosene,'” Rivers said then, “because whenever I was put in, I had to put out the fire that he started with a guy. He was getting torched.”

There are a lot of reasons Del Negro and the Spurs parted ways in 1999, and money was one. But this aspect of Del Negro's game mattered, too. When Popovich had a chance to sign Mario Elie, a tougher defender, he took it.

So Del Negro left just as the championships began, and Popovich became famous for defense. Last season, when his defense sagged, he vowed to return to those days.

“We tried to institute some new things the past couple of years, and they didn't really work out,” Popovich said last October. “So we're going back to the good old days when we tried to lead the league defensively.”

They will say this is still a work in progress. The terminology, even four months after training camp began, still throws some of the new Spurs. Details overwhelm some, and some are still coming to grips with Popovich's ultimatums.

When Popovich says they have no choice, that they HAVE to get from point A to point B, some still hesitate. It takes prodding and pushing, and often a half a season.

Still, did the dip in recent years occur because the Spurs tried “to institute some new things?” Or because their personnel is either aging or better at shooting than defending?

What has happened to the Bulls should be telling. A year ago, they didn't have a defensive system, and now an assistant acts as Del Negro's defensive coordinator. He's installed the basic stuff.

So when the Spurs talk about losing their “corporate knowledge” because experienced players have left, remember this. The Bulls had none to lose.

The Bulls instead have athletes with long arms, young swingmen such as Luol Deng and Taj Gibson, and an energetic 7-footer, Joakim Noah. They are active, and they were at the end Monday night.

Then, Manu Ginobili drove with the Bulls ahead by two points, and Deng was there with a block.

The Bulls made a flurry of jumpshots, fitting of their coach. But they also held the Spurs to a 42.9 shooting percentage, fitting of a defensive team that has held all opponents this season to under 44 percent. The Bulls are among the best five in the league at this.

There was a time when the Spurs were, and Popovich will be back at practice today, prodding and pushing as always. But players matter, and the one who reminded him of that shook his hand at the end of another loss.

Vinny El.

ElNono
01-26-2010, 01:36 AM
Good article by Buck... I wish McDonald would put something together like this talking about the defensive dip...

tp2021
01-26-2010, 01:46 AM
They will say this is still a work in progress. The terminology, even four months after training camp began, still throws some of the new Spurs. Details overwhelm some, and some are still coming to grips with Popovich's ultimatums.

You have GOT to be kidding me.

Stringer_Bell
01-26-2010, 02:01 AM
Burns up the Spurs' system? WHAT SYSTEM?!

They are not playing intense and deliberate basketball. They are playing intimidated and timid basketball. I started to wonder if it would help if Sean (the ninja!) was on the bench talking to them, telling them not to give the other team any respect, to catch them while they're sleeping and drop a 3 ball down their throats. They are not consistently tough, and it's shitty to see them constantly fail to execute.

I'm ALMOST to the point where the only hope I have left is that Pop is pulling a Keyser Soze and waiting until after the Rodeo Roadtrip to unleash the true potential of this team, so that they hold power of their seeding and the Spurs will choose who they play in the first round. omg i'm going crazy. :(

Obstructed_View
01-26-2010, 02:04 AM
I started to wonder if it would help if Sean (the ninja!) was on the bench talking to them, telling them not to give the other team any respect, to catch them while they're sleeping and drop a 3 ball down their throats. They are not consistently tough, and it's shitty to see them constantly fail to execute.

Yeah, you know it's bad when you're hoping Sean Elliott can teach the team something about toughness and aggression.

L.I.T
01-26-2010, 02:30 AM
Good lord.

I can understand if Blair is still struggling a bit to get a hold of the system. But he's making it sound like Dice and/or RJeff still can't get a handle on the defensive system. If they can't even handle he basics...