PDA

View Full Version : Mike Monroe... I KNOW you read this site....

phyzik
01-26-2010, 02:07 AM
This is targeted at you.

Quit being a fucking pussy. Seriously. You are supposed to be our voice.

Ask the hard questions we want to know instead of stealing from our posts as filler for your washed out articles for the newbs and bandwagoners. Give us something new, and you just MIGHT start to get some respect from Spurstalk.

Your doing a shitty job. I really dont think you understand the power you have. you represent the fans. You question the team on something and you are asking that question on behalf of US! Yes, Pop is going to be pissed at you, but you know what? thats your job! Represent the common fan, no fuck that, you represent the HARDCORE fans! Let his stubborn ass know that we are upset!

We know he is a great coach, we just want to know what the fuck he is going to do about the situation besides "ohh, they still need to gell".... FUCK THAT!!

Do some actual investigative work. thats all we ask. It's time to step up your fucking game. We have shit all over you for the past 2 years. STEP IT UP!!! Ask the controversial questions the team doesnt want to hear. thats what you get paid for. We ALREADY KNOW the bullshit you put in your articles here (since you steal them from us obviously). give us something we DONT know.

If you are getting paid to copy message board opinions, almost verbatim at times, you need to step the fuck down or step the fuck up!

DesignatedT
01-26-2010, 02:09 AM
lol

urunobili
01-26-2010, 10:04 AM
where's the "I miss Ludden" dog photo?

EmptyMan
01-26-2010, 10:06 AM
Monroe: Pop what were you thinking with that horrible line-up?

Pop: ...

Pop: Are you serious?

Monroe: ANSWER THE FVCKING QUESTION OLLLLLLLLLLLD MAAAAAAN!

Dex
01-26-2010, 10:20 AM
During postgame, I would like the press, just once, to ask, "What the hell was up with that small ball crap?" :tu

EVAY
01-26-2010, 10:22 AM
Does anyone remember the name of that Express-News Reporter who got fired after challenging the Spurs publicly in the press? Remember, the E-N is part owner of the Spurs.

JR3
01-26-2010, 10:57 AM
This post made me laugh. lol If only the guy didn't have a family to support. lol

FromWayDowntown
01-26-2010, 11:00 AM
Does anyone remember the name of that Express-News Reporter who got fired after challenging the Spurs publicly in the press? Remember, the E-N is part owner of the Spurs.

I think you mean Kevin O'Keeffe. But O'Keeffe's firing wasn't just about challenging the Spurs publicly and sometimes slanderously; it was about disputes with Popovich over the Bob Hill firing in 1996-97 and the Spurs' refusal to resign Vinny Del Negro after the 1997-98 season. Those disputes became extremely personal over time. To this day, I don't think the Spurs or Popovich orchestrated O'Keeffe's firing. Instead, I think O'Keeffe's lack of objectivity and professionalism were the knives that cut his own throat.

Nevertheless, the suggestion that O'Keeffe was sent packing at Pop's behest has probably had the effect of keeping other members of the local media within Pop's sphere of effective influence; they won't cross him because: (a) it's not good for business (since business requires obtaining information, which Pop and others can readily embargo); and (b) they might lose their jobs if they go too far.

BG_Spurs_Fan
01-26-2010, 11:03 AM
I've always thought of Pop as the inspiration behind this Dr House character :lol

Pauleta14
01-26-2010, 11:07 AM

Really?

It's good info, I didn't know that.

El Jefe
01-26-2010, 11:40 AM
Anyone remember Jim Dent? Author of 'The Junction Boys' and was a guest columnist for a time, right around 2000 when Duncan sat out the playoffs with a knee injury. Dent wrote a couple of articles basically calling Duncan a namby pamby for sitting with a knee injury when REAL men (ie the crazy bastards from his book) would have risked life long injury for a shot at the 2nd round. Oddly enough, Dent didn't last very long after calling out the heart of the franchise.

Regardless, the OP's premise is flawed. Monroe does not represent the voice of the people or some such nonsense. This isn't a democracy, Monroe wasn't elected to anything. His job is to get whatever information he can so that he can write an article and attempt to increase readership of the EN. If he were to go in and ask the "tough questions" that you propose, he would instantly lose access to the team, and shortly after his job.

TJastal
01-26-2010, 11:46 AM
Anyone remember Jim Dent? Author of 'The Junction Boys' and was a guest columnist for a time, right around 2000 when Duncan sat out the playoffs with a knee injury. Dent wrote a couple of articles basically calling Duncan a namby pamby for sitting with a knee injury when REAL men (ie the crazy bastards from his book) would have risked life long injury for a shot at the 2nd round. Oddly enough, Dent didn't last very long after calling out the heart of the franchise.

Regardless, the OP's premise is flawed. Monroe does not represent the voice of the people or some such nonsense. This isn't a democracy, Monroe wasn't elected to anything. His job is to get whatever information he can so that he can write an article and attempt to increase readership of the EN. If he were to go in and ask the "tough questions" that you propose, he would instantly lose access to the team, and shortly after his job.

lol..

will_spurs
01-26-2010, 12:01 PM

And then when the E-N goes under like all the other newspapers it will be "I don't understand, we always talked about what our readers wanted to hear"....

El Jefe
01-26-2010, 12:10 PM
And then when the E-N goes under like all the other newspapers it will be "I don't understand, we always talked about what our readers wanted to hear"....

Is that why newspapers are going under? Because they're not picking fights with the local sports teams?

CubanSucks
01-26-2010, 12:18 PM

Just what I was thinking before I even finished reading the first post. And lol at the OP KNOWING Mike Monroe cares about this website.

TJastal
01-26-2010, 12:23 PM
I would actually love to see Monroe take Poppabitch to task on alot of things, the small-ball working for shit question being tops on the list.

to21
01-26-2010, 12:29 PM
I could see how most press would be afraid to ask tough questions. For fear of losing their jobs or credentials....especially because of all these over sensitive coaches.

purist
01-26-2010, 12:51 PM

True.

ffadicted
01-26-2010, 12:52 PM

:lol:lol

NZ Spurs
01-26-2010, 01:25 PM
Monroe: Why is the team losing

Pop: ohh, they still need to gell

Monroe: The fans don't want to hear that.

Pop: What do I care? Its the truth.

Monroe: The fans also think small ball is the problem.

Pop: The fans are mostly idiots who don't understand Basketball.

Shastafarian
01-26-2010, 01:27 PM
Monroe: Why is the team losing

Pop: ohh, they still need to gell

Monroe: The fans don't want to hear that.

Pop: What do I care? Its the truth.It's only January.

Monroe: The fans also think small ball is the problem.

Pop: The fans are mostly idiots who don't understand Basketball.
Kiss my rings.

Spurs Brazil
01-26-2010, 01:50 PM
Great post phyzik, since Ludden is out we have no inside from EN; Monroe and McDonald are trying to be comedians with that stupid show on EN website rather than sports journalists

duncan228
01-26-2010, 01:58 PM
where's the "I miss Ludden" dog photo?

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x282/duncan228/oddsandends/missludden.jpg

tmtcsc
01-26-2010, 02:56 PM
I think you mean Kevin O'Keeffe. But O'Keeffe's firing wasn't just about challenging the Spurs publicly and sometimes slanderously; it was about disputes with Popovich over the Bob Hill firing in 1996-97 and the Spurs' refusal to resign Vinny Del Negro after the 1997-98 season. Those disputes became extremely personal over time. To this day, I don't think the Spurs or Popovich orchestrated O'Keeffe's firing. Instead, I think O'Keeffe's lack of objectivity and professionalism were the knives that cut his own throat.

Nevertheless, the suggestion that O'Keeffe was sent packing at Pop's behest has probably had the effect of keeping other members of the local media within Pop's sphere of effective influence; they won't cross him because: (a) it's not good for business (since business requires obtaining information, which Pop and others can readily embargo); and (b) they might lose their jobs if they go too far.

:tu Absolutely 100 % correct.

phyzik
01-26-2010, 03:03 PM
http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x282/duncan228/oddsandends/missludden.jpg

Thats what I'm looking for. Some Luddenesque stuff. I dont want to hear second-hand information that I had already read on Spurstalk 2 days prior.

:So the team isnt gelling Pop. Specifically what do you see as the problem areas and what are you trying to do to fix them?"

Is that such a hard and over-demanding question for a coach? Does he not have the answer?

We know the team isnt gelling..... Whats being done about it?

Bender
01-26-2010, 03:38 PM
can't Ludden write more about the Spurs? someone email him and request a spurs article.

El Jefe
01-26-2010, 04:53 PM
Thats what I'm looking for. Some Luddenesque stuff. I dont want to hear second-hand information that I had already read on Spurstalk 2 days prior.

:So the team isnt gelling Pop. Specifically what do you see as the problem areas and what are you trying to do to fix them?"

Is that such a hard and over-demanding question for a coach? Does he not have the answer?

We know the team isnt gelling..... Whats being done about it?

You want an invitation to a coach's meeting while you're at it? Maybe sit in on some strategy sessions? Have RC bounce a few trades ideas off of you?

They're doing what any good basketball team should be doing, trying to handle it behind closed doors. This isn't something you handle in the media, even if the reporters were dumb enough to ask the questions. Sure, maybe in some cities you could get the players in the locker room to point fingers at each other and start a month long soap opera, but that doesn't help win games.

Pop knows better than anybody that it's a players league, and he rightfully has tried to deflect any credit for all of the winning over the past 10 years to the guys on the floor. It's not suddenly the coaches fault when the team starts losing though.

Tony and Manu aren't playing up to their past levels, and the team misses smart and savvy vets like Bowen and Horry. What did the coaching staff do about it? They gambled that bringing in Richard Jefferson would alleviate the burden on Tony and Manu, and the he would be able to replace some of the things Bowen brought to the table. To this point, the gamble has failed. What are they doing about it now? I'm sure they're doing due diligence and seeing if there is a trade that would help the team (which they would not discuss with the media under any circumstances). Barring any miracle trade though, they'll continue to try to teach these guys the system, hope chemistry develops, and that a few things break their way in the playoffs. The odds aren't great, but they're better than 20 other teams in the league can offer.

Everyone wants to be mad at somebody, they want their to be some blame for this, and they want someone to pay. Lot's of people have picked Pop, you seem to have focused on the media. The truth is that it's hard to stay on top. You put your best foot forward, and if it isn't enough, you try to get better and try again. I have yet to see the Spurs do anything different. Hindsight may not always been kind to all of their moves, but it always seems to me that they've made the best of the available moves at the time to get the talent that was there. I can find little to no fault in that.

phyzik
01-27-2010, 12:05 AM
You want an invitation to a coach's meeting while you're at it? Maybe sit in on some strategy sessions? Have RC bounce a few trades ideas off of you?

They're doing what any good basketball team should be doing, trying to handle it behind closed doors. This isn't something you handle in the media, even if the reporters were dumb enough to ask the questions. Sure, maybe in some cities you could get the players in the locker room to point fingers at each other and start a month long soap opera, but that doesn't help win games.

Pop knows better than anybody that it's a players league, and he rightfully has tried to deflect any credit for all of the winning over the past 10 years to the guys on the floor. It's not suddenly the coaches fault when the team starts losing though.

Tony and Manu aren't playing up to their past levels, and the team misses smart and savvy vets like Bowen and Horry. What did the coaching staff do about it? They gambled that bringing in Richard Jefferson would alleviate the burden on Tony and Manu, and the he would be able to replace some of the things Bowen brought to the table. To this point, the gamble has failed. What are they doing about it now? I'm sure they're doing due diligence and seeing if there is a trade that would help the team (which they would not discuss with the media under any circumstances). Barring any miracle trade though, they'll continue to try to teach these guys the system, hope chemistry develops, and that a few things break their way in the playoffs. The odds aren't great, but they're better than 20 other teams in the league can offer.

Everyone wants to be mad at somebody, they want their to be some blame for this, and they want someone to pay. Lot's of people have picked Pop, you seem to have focused on the media. The truth is that it's hard to stay on top. You put your best foot forward, and if it isn't enough, you try to get better and try again. I have yet to see the Spurs do anything different. Hindsight may not always been kind to all of their moves, but it always seems to me that they've made the best of the available moves at the time to get the talent that was there. I can find little to no fault in that.

Your missunderstanding me.

Let me make this clear.

Im not questioning the teams effort.

Im questioning the media's effort.

HUGE difference.

If you dont know by now, Mike Monroe OBVIOUSLY looks at this site. It's been a fact since he started writing after Ludden left. Almost every article can be tied to a Spurstalk post that was posted at least the day before, if not 2 or 3 days before. Some of his articles almost read verbatim to a spurstalk post.

Im not mad at the Spurs play. Ok, I am a little bit... But that has no basis with what I posted about. The media for the past 4 months, including Sean and Bill, continue to feed us this shit that the team just needs to gell with absolutely NO explanation on what is being done about it!

Enough! We KNOW the team needs to gell! I have no fucking problem with that! Tell us what is being done about it! The one that knows? Pop!

ASK HIM!!

Thats all I'm saying.

sabar
01-27-2010, 12:37 AM
You have a silly idea at what the role of the local media is in sports. This isn't politics or business. They have no incentive at all to cater to anything but the casual fan.

El Jefe
01-27-2010, 12:47 AM
Your missunderstanding me.

Let me make this clear.

Im not questioning the teams effort.

Im questioning the media's effort.

HUGE difference.

If you dont know by now, Mike Monroe OBVIOUSLY looks at this site. It's been a fact since he started writing after Ludden left. Almost every article can be tied to a Spurstalk post that was posted at least the day before, if not 2 or 3 days before. Some of his articles almost read verbatim to a spurstalk post.

Im not mad at the Spurs play. Ok, I am a little bit... But that has no basis with what I posted about. The media for the past 4 months, including Sean and Bill, continue to feed us this shit that the team just needs to gell with absolutely NO explanation on what is being done about it!

Enough! We KNOW the team needs to gell! I have no fucking problem with that! Tell us what is being done about it! The one that knows? Pop!

ASK HIM!!

Thats all I'm saying.

Fair enough. I seem to have incorrectly lumped you in with the contingent of posters who are foaming at the mouth to scream at coach Pop and demand his resignation.

I'll also agree that Johnny Ludden was the best beat writer we had around here in quite a while, which is a big reason why he moved on to bigger and better things. I have nothing against the current staff at the EN, knowing that the Spurs can't possibly be an easy team for the media to work with, especially now with Bowen and Barry gone (both fantastic with reporters)

Honest question though. Say Mr. Monroe did read this, and he tracks coach Pop down tomorrow, and he asks "Coach Pop, what is being done to right the ship? What is your plan sir?" What would be an acceptable answer? What would coach Pop have to say to satisfy your curiosity?

DynastyBuilder
01-27-2010, 12:57 AM
You know why the "hard" questions aren't asked? Because they wouldn't get answered.

What is he or any of the media supposed to do? Ask the "hard" questions. Then they don't get answered. Then they have nothing to report. That's going to work well for someone who has to have story every day.

El Jefe
01-27-2010, 01:18 AM
You know why the "hard" questions aren't asked? Because they wouldn't get answered.

What is he or any of the media supposed to do? Ask the "hard" questions. Then they don't get answered. Then they have nothing to report. That's going to work well for someone who has to have story every day.

This couldn't be more true. And as if to add the perfect example....

http://www.nba.com/spurs/multimedia/100126_pop.html?rss=true

This is where the quote for Jeff McDonald's article comes from. They asked him the question. After coach Pop said "We need to shoot the ball better, we need to be more consistent defensively." Someone in the group asked your question. They straight up asked him how do you do these things.

Pop's answer? "There are no tricks. You just work at it"

The thing is, I really don't think the is Pop being coy, or obfuscating the truth, or hiding behind a gruff demeanor. He means what he says, and he's 100% right. Any coach who tells you otherwise is trying to justify his salary.

But this is why no one wants to ask him the question. He's going to glare at you, you're going to be lucky if you get an answer at all, and even if he does answer it, it's not going to look good on paper. So why risk access for a crummy quote?

poop
01-27-2010, 03:53 AM

ahhahahahahahahahahhahahaha.

....that what we are all (the true fans) hoping for but we know the SA media is a bunch of yes-men cowards

Chieflion
01-27-2010, 03:55 AM
Mike Monroe called San Antonio the city of panic on The Beat.