PDA

View Full Version : Spurs vs. Hawks Previews

duncan228
01-26-2010, 03:25 PM
Atlanta (29-14) at San Antonio (25-18) (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/preview?gid=2010012724&prov=ap)
Game info: 8:30 pm EST Wed Jan 27, 2010
TV: SS, FSSW
By Anthony Giornalista

Coach Mike Woodson needed to change something to help the Atlanta Hawks get a win in Texas. He could have tinkered with his lineup or employed a new-look defense, but losing his eyebrows may have hit the mark.

Kept loose by Woodson’s pregame antics, the Hawks look to end another long road losing streak to a Texas team as they face the struggling San Antonio Spurs on Wednesday night.

Atlanta (29-14) had lost 10 straight at Houston before a 102-95 win Monday night, and Woodson addressed the Hawks prior to the game with his eyebrows missing, which he attributed to an accidental slip at the barbershop.

Whatever happened, the episode seemed to break some tension in the locker room, and Atlanta went on to win for the eighth time in 10 games.

“It’s not easy winning on the road,” Woodson told the Hawks’ official Web site. “We have to figure out how to win on the road. … Good teams must do that.”

Now Atlanta will try to snap an 11-game road losing streak to San Antonio (25-18). The Hawks, who have been held to 84.0 points per game during the skid, have dropped six in a row overall in the series.

The Spurs, though, are in danger of losing four straight home games for the first time since January 2002. They’ve lost three in a row overall for the third time this season, squandering the first half of a six-game homestand that they were hoping to take advantage of before hitting the road for most of February.

“We have a team that can win games … but we just need to find way to get it done,” forward Tim Duncan said. “Defensively we aren’t as good as we want to be.”

The Spurs gave up an average of 110.5 points during the first two games of their losing streak. Gregg Popovich was unhappy with San Antonio’s defense again in a 98-93 loss to Chicago on Monday night.

“Our guys just need to keep up the attitude, continue to learn and cut down on the mistakes,” Popovich said.

San Antonio also remains inconsistent offensively, averaging 93.2 points in its last six games after scoring 104.2 over its previous 20.

Richard Jefferson has disappointed in his first season with the Spurs, giving them 12.5 points per game - 7.1 below his average with Milwaukee last season. The veteran forward had a season-low two points on 1-for-8 shooting versus the Bulls.

Duncan shot 38.1 percent over his last three games and was limited to five rebounds against Chicago.

Jefferson and Duncan now have to contend with a talented Hawks frontcourt that includes Josh Smith, Marvin Williams and Al Horford. Smith is coming off one of his best games of the season, finishing with 22 points, 10 rebounds, four blocks and four steals.

“Whenever we’re able to come together and play defense … and share the ball, then we’re a tough team to beat,” Smith said.

Smith, though, has averaged 7.0 points and shot 24.1 percent in nine games against the Spurs.

Team Stat Leaders

Tim Duncan SA 19.8

Rebounds
Al Horford Atl 9.8
Tim Duncan SA 10.4

Assists
Joe Johnson Atl 4.9
Tony Parker SA 5.7

Libri
01-26-2010, 03:51 PM
Kept loose by Woodson’s pregame antics, the Hawks look to end another long road losing streak to a Texas team as they face the struggling San Antonio Spurs on Wednesday night.
Now Atlanta will try to snap an 11-game road losing streak to San Antonio (25-18).Now teams are using the Spurs to end their bad streaks. :(

anonoftheinternets
01-26-2010, 03:54 PM
man this game is goin to be uphill ... i can honestly say i would be pleasantly surprised by a win....

ElNono
01-26-2010, 03:57 PM
I have a good feeling about this game...

in2deep
01-26-2010, 03:58 PM
Hawks have one of the most athletic, fastest, youngest frontlines in the NBA. This smells like an assraping of gigantic proportions.

Only good thing is after this loss, most of the bandwagon fans will jump off and the wagon will run nice and smooth for the rest of the season.

objective
01-26-2010, 04:00 PM
Time 4 MoneyMA$E to match up at the 4 to take on Josh Smith!

Reeko_Htown
01-26-2010, 04:00 PM
These guys are the real deal. Johnson is great but worry about Josh Smith because when he gets going he's ridiculous.

crc21209
01-26-2010, 04:54 PM
OK what's the over/under on how good the Hawks shooting percentage is going to be? :lol

Libri
01-26-2010, 05:03 PM
The Hawks have a quick trigger, 39% of their offense comes within the first 10 seconds of the shot clock. Also, 66% of their attempts are jump shots. The Spurs will have to be ready and get a hand in their face.

ffadicted
01-26-2010, 05:31 PM
Hawks are young athletic and big. We're fucked lol
Spurs must win this one though

TD 21
01-27-2010, 12:39 AM
Great, another athletic team that plays a face-up combo forward as their four. You know what that means (I don't even need to say it). After Jefferson proceeds to do nothing in the early stages of the game, the Spurs blow an early double digit lead in the blink of an eye, make a valiant, too-little-too-late charge and decide to go with four guards down the stretch again, who winds up guarding Smith? Johnson? Which two of: Bogans, Ginobili, Mason or Hill, will it be?

duncan228
01-27-2010, 12:58 AM
Wednesday: Hawks (29-14) at Spurs (25-18) (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Wednesday_Hawks_29-14_at_Spurs_25-18.html)

Time: 7:30 p.m.
TV: FSNSW
Radio: WOAI-AM 1200, KCOR-AM 1350

STARTING LINEUPS
POS - SPURS - HAWKS

PG - 9 Tony Parker (6-2, 9th yr) - 10 Mike Bibby (6-1, 12th yr)
Bibby one of six active players to reach 6,000 career assists.

SG - 3 George Hill (6-2, 2nd yr) - 2 Joe Johnson (6-7, 9th yr)
Johnson ranks just outside top 10 in scoring at 21.1 points per game.

SF - 24 Richard Jefferson (6-7, 9th yr) - 24 Marvin Williams (6-9, 5th yr)
Jefferson coming off another rough outing: 1 for 8, two points vs. Bulls.

PF - 21 Tim Duncan (6-11, 13th yr) - 5 Josh Smith (6-9, 6th yr)
Duncan has shot below 50 percent in five of past six games.

C - 45 DeJuan Blair (6-7, 1st yr) - 15 Al Horford (6-10, 3rd yr)
Eight of Blair's 11 rebounds vs. Bulls came on offensive end.

SPURS RESERVES

15 Matt Bonner, C/F, 6-10, 6th yr
10 Keith Bogans, G, 6-5, 7th yr
20 Manu Ginobili, G, 6-6, 8th yr
8 Roger Mason Jr., G, 6-5, 6th yr
28 Ian Mahinmi, C/F, 6-10, 3rd yr
34 A. McDyess, C/F, 6-10, 15th yr
42 Theo Ratliff, C, 6-10, 15th yr

HAWKS RESERVES

11 Jamal Crawford, G, 6-5, 10th yr
1 Maurice Evans, G, 6-5, 7th yr
33 R. Morris, C/F, 6-11, 4th yr
27 Zaza Pachulia, C, 6-11, 7th yr
15 Joe Smith, C, 6-10, 15th yr
0 Jeff Teague, G, 6-2, 1st yr
6 Mario West, F, 6-5, 3rd yr

COACHES
Spurs: Gregg Popovich
Hawks: Mike Woodson

INJURIES

Spurs: Michael Finley (sprained left ankle) is out.
Hawks: None.

PROJECTED INACTIVE PLAYERS

Spurs: Finley, Malik Hairston.
Hawks: Jason Collins.

NOTABLE

Spurs have lost three in a row at home for first time since 1996-97. They have been outshot from both the field and the line in seven consecutive games. ... Hawks are a game in front in the Atlantic Division, the first time they've led a division this late in the season since April 28, 1999. ... Spurs have won 11 straight vs. Hawks at home.

- Jeff McDonald

timtonymanu
01-27-2010, 06:55 AM
with the way this team is going, im expecting another loss. Records are being broken this year against the Spurs.

shingo_318
01-27-2010, 07:05 AM
just lose it!

Warlord23
01-27-2010, 07:43 AM
My predictions:

We'll play them even in the first half, then get outscored by 15 in the 3rd. Pull closer in the 4th, only to lose by 8.

Pop's post game presser:
"We fought well today, they made some tough shots"
"We're a work in progress and headed in the right direction"
"It's frustrating, but the chemistry is improving"
"We can build on this performance"

spurs50_
01-27-2010, 07:50 AM
Sorry, but this will be another loss. The way the Spurs have been playing I no longer have faith in them.

Obstructed_View
01-27-2010, 08:19 AM
Bloodletting.

westbound17
01-27-2010, 08:20 AM
we're having tough times against athletic teams, hope we get this one.

Chomag
01-27-2010, 09:43 AM
Going to be tough, no slacking here. Spurs dont much up well with this team.

4down
01-27-2010, 09:56 AM
Giornalista... appropriate surname for a reporter.

SpursRulez4eVeR
01-27-2010, 10:00 AM
i dont want to see a 4 game losing streak...

temujin
01-27-2010, 10:34 AM
Hawks have one of the most athletic, fastest, youngest frontlines in the NBA. This smells like an assraping of gigantic proportions.

Only good thing is after this loss, most of the bandwagon fans will jump off and the wagon will run nice and smooth for the rest of the season.

Yes, mid April.

TDomination
01-27-2010, 10:40 AM
i know his production isnt great on offense but i'd really rather see bogans starting.

i don't know, i just feel odd with hill starting alongside parker, i feel like it doesn't work but i'm not sure.

FalleNxWiZarDx
01-27-2010, 10:48 AM
no way we can win this one, but it will be fun to watch!

draft87
01-27-2010, 10:50 AM
Atlanta (29-14) at San Antonio (25-18) (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/preview?gid=2010012724&prov=ap)
Game info: 8:30 pm EST Wed Jan 27, 2010
TV: SS, FSSW
By Anthony Giornalista

Coach Mike Woodson needed to change something to help the Atlanta Hawks get a win in Texas. He could have tinkered with his lineup or employed a new-look defense, but losing his eyebrows may have hit the mark.

Atlanta (29-14) had lost 10 straight at Houston before a 102-95 win Monday night, and Woodson addressed the Hawks prior to the game with his eyebrows missing, which he attributed to an accidental slip at the barbershop.

Whatever happened, the episode seemed to break some tension in the locker room, and Atlanta went on to win for the eighth time in 10 games.

“It’s not easy winning on the road,” Woodson told the Hawks’ official Web site. “We have to figure out how to win on the road. … Good teams must do that.”

Now Atlanta will try to snap an 11-game road losing streak to San Antonio (25-18). The Hawks, who have been held to 84.0 points per game during the skid, have dropped six in a row overall in the series.

The Spurs, though, are in danger of losing four straight home games for the first time since January 2002. They’ve lost three in a row overall for the third time this season, squandering the first half of a six-game homestand that they were hoping to take advantage of before hitting the road for most of February.

“We have a team that can win games … but we just need to find way to get it done,” forward Tim Duncan said. “Defensively we aren’t as good as we want to be.”

The Spurs gave up an average of 110.5 points during the first two games of their losing streak. Gregg Popovich was unhappy with San Antonio’s defense again in a 98-93 loss to Chicago on Monday night.

“Our guys just need to keep up the attitude, continue to learn and cut down on the mistakes,” Popovich said.

San Antonio also remains inconsistent offensively, averaging 93.2 points in its last six games after scoring 104.2 over its previous 20.

Richard Jefferson has disappointed in his first season with the Spurs, giving them 12.5 points per game - 7.1 below his average with Milwaukee last season. The veteran forward had a season-low two points on 1-for-8 shooting versus the Bulls.

Duncan shot 38.1 percent over his last three games and was limited to five rebounds against Chicago.

Jefferson and Duncan now have to contend with a talented Hawks frontcourt that includes Josh Smith, Marvin Williams and Al Horford. Smith is coming off one of his best games of the season, finishing with 22 points, 10 rebounds, four blocks and four steals.

“Whenever we’re able to come together and play defense … and share the ball, then we’re a tough team to beat,” Smith said.

Smith, though, has averaged 7.0 points and shot 24.1 percent in nine games against the Spurs.

Team Stat Leaders

Tim Duncan SA 19.8

Rebounds
Al Horford Atl 9.8
Tim Duncan SA 10.4

Assists
Joe Johnson Atl 4.9
Tony Parker SA 5.7

What's up with Mike Woodson and hair? Remember when he promised his team he'd shave his head if they won a game? or was that if they made the playoffs? If it was a specific game, someone please refresh my memory. I just remember reading about his promise and how they won/achieved whatever was the wager and he showed up all, "look I kept my promise, I'm bald!" and Rick Kamla or whoever was on NBAtv was busting his balls about it..... so that's what he does now? whenever he needs his team to pull a magic trick he cuts hair from somewhere on his body? If he gets a new contract this could lead to some very awkward locker room pictures......Oden Style.....

shelshor
01-27-2010, 11:11 AM
i dont want to see a 4 HOME game losing streak...

Referee Assignments
Wed. Jan 27
Atlanta @ San Antonio: Monty McCutchen; Curtis Blair; Derrick Collins

xtremesteven33
01-27-2010, 11:25 AM
Hopefully all the trade rumors dont effect the Spurs focus on this game...

poop
01-27-2010, 12:14 PM
predict how many dunks does atlanta get?

im gonna say 4 first q, 5 second q, then 8-10 in the third when they start to blow it up, then prob another 6-8 in the 4th as they clear their bench

Chomag
01-27-2010, 01:00 PM
If a lose here it wouldn't be so bad if the Spurs bring playoff intensity because they pretty much have to come out balls out at this point (I think). They have to at least look like a team that is preventing themselves from a downward spiral with a bit of desperation to get rlling in the right direction. Now if they come out flat and uninterested about the win... I just don't know.

PDXSpursFan
01-27-2010, 02:07 PM
Another 3rd-qtr letdown = another loss = total meltdown @ ST :bang

duncan228
01-27-2010, 02:13 PM
Atlanta Hawks (29-14) at San Antonio Spurs (25-18) (http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/basketball/wires/story/1448590.html)

The San Antonio Spurs hope to avoid a season-high fourth straight loss when they resume a lengthy homestand tonight versus the Atlanta Hawks at the AT&T Center.

The Spurs have a decent shot at ending their slide since they have won six in a row against the Hawks and 11 straight at home in this series. San Antonio is also 14-1 in the last 15 meetings with Atlanta in the Alamo City.

San Antonio dropped to 0-3 on its residency after suffering a 98-93 loss to the Chicago Bulls on Monday. Tony Parker had 20 points, eight assists and six rebounds, while Tim Duncan checked in with 15 points and five boards for the Spurs, who have lost five of six overall and fell to 17-9 as the host this season.

"This game was frustrating," Duncan said. "Any time you put yourself in a situation to win games and you can't get over the hump it's frustrating. It's going to happen sometime. We have a team that we can win games especially like the one tonight, but we just need find ways to get it done. Defensively we aren't as good as we want to be...we need to start (improving) there."

Manu Ginobili and Antonio McDyess both netted 14 points in defeat. San Antonio will also welcome Memphis and Denver to town on the homestand and sits four games behind Dallas for the top spot in the Southwest Division.

The Hawks will close out their tour through Texas on Wednesday and put the brakes on a 10-game slide in Houston with Monday's 102-95 triumph over the Rockets at the Toyota Center. Josh Smith scored 12 of his 22 points in the second quarter and also pulled down 10 rebounds, as Southeast Division-leading Atlanta recorded its first win in Houston since February 25, 1999.

Joe Johnson chipped in 20 points and Jamal Crawford added 17 for Atlanta, which has won three straight and six of their last seven games.

"That we lost here for the past 10 years was also in our minds," Smith said. "We wanted to really get the monkey off our backs and control the tempo of the game."

Atlanta is one game ahead of Orlando in the division standings and owns an 11-9 record away from Philips Arena this season. Hawks center Al Horford (thumb) is probable for tonight's game.

HarlemHeat37
01-27-2010, 02:15 PM
LOL @ the Spurs being favorites again..more $..

TJastal
01-27-2010, 02:32 PM
This is defenitely a major desperation game for the spurs. I think the players are starting to realize they have an absolute clown for a coach and the season is starting to slip away and if they want to win they are going to have to dig down deep and take matters into their own hands.

I expect to see them come out with alot of fire and passion, and more importantly finish the game strong.

duncanCOSTARICA
01-27-2010, 03:42 PM
i dont know if laugh or cry or go apeSHIT on my own self!!! Atlanta is playing good ball for very long now and on the other side, i dont think TIMMYs spurs louse 4 straight at home...i know duncan is going crazy about the spurs play I expect him to really turn it up tonight.

duncan228
01-27-2010, 05:31 PM
Hawks at Spurs, AKA Messin’ With Texas (http://blogs.ajc.com/hawks/2010/01/27/hawks-at-spurs-aka-messin-with-texas/?cxntfid=blogs_hawks)
by Michael Cunningham

San Antonio– It’s been interesting to see perceptions of the Hawks in Western Conference outposts Houston and San Antonio. Both teams were scuffling and coming off worrisome efforts and both considered the Hawks a threat to continue their slides.

Rockets coach Rick Adelman was matter-of-fact in talking up the Hawks like they are an elite team. He worried about their ability to score one-on-one and their open-court prowess. Then the Hawks used their one-on-one scoring ability and open-court prowess to beat his team. Afterward, Hall of Famer Clyde Drexler, a Rockets TV analyst, said of the Hawks: “They are a team that has it all, and they proved it tonight.”

Now the Hawks are in San Antonio, where Spurs guard Tony Parker tells the San Antonio Express-News (last item) (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Simple_solutions_for_Spurs_swoon.html): “They’re good — long and athletic. A little bit like the Bulls.” Normally, that might be taken as a backhanded slap since the Bulls are eight games behind the Hawks (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/standings;_ylt=ApPxfHuN2LWKoPsMtnpADxS8vLYF) in the East, but Chicago just beat the Spurs (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/recap?gid=2010012524) on Monday.

It was the third straight home loss for the Spurs, and that hadn’t happened since 1996-97 (wow). Though coach Gregg Popovich has never been one to put too much stock in the ebbs and flows of regular season, viewing it as a process to get ready for the playoffs, the Spurs sound desperate for a victory (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/With_Hawks_on_deck_Spurs_circle_wagons.html). Said Spurs guard Roger Mason Jr.: “This is all a process for the end of the year, and we understand that. At the same time, you know, we’re trying to win games.”

Are the Spurs really in trouble? Woody glanced up at those championship banners inside the AT&T Center and said he’s not buying it: “They are still one of the top teams in the West. Any time ‘Pop’ puts a team on the floor, they are going to compete. You don’t hang four banners in here without doing that.”

– The Hawks will see San Antonio’s first three-game losing streak since ‘96-’97 and raise them 11 straight losses at San Antonio. The Hawks last won here on Feb. 15, 1997. And they haven’t swept all three Texas teams on the road since 1990-91. The possibility of doing so tonight has Big Ray feelin’ good (http://blogs.ajc.com/atlanta-hawks-blog/2010/01/27/feelin-good-in-texas/?cxntfid=blogs_atlanta_hawks_blog)

“Will they pull it off, or will we be singing ‘Two out of three ain’t bad….’? Either way, if you don’t think this is yet another sign of a team that is significantly better than it was last year, then consider the fact that the Hawks didn’t win a single one of these three daunting road games last season. How’s that for perspective?”

– Never mind San Antonio’s struggles. The Hawks will have to be better tonight than they were at Houston Monday night. Hoopinion says (http://www.hoopinionblog.com/2010/01/hawks-102-rockets-95.html) (in that very interesting, statistical kind of way) that the Hawks beat the Rockets with just an OK effort:

“Despite the niggling worries, it speaks to this team’s ability that they can go on the road, face a perfectly average team, and win comfortably while playing about 12 minutes of really good basketball.”

– Woody sees winning tough road games as another stage of growth for his team. He said the one constant has to be defensive effort: “Some games on the road you shoot lights out. But you’ve got to have a defensive mentality to win on the road. All elite teams win on the road. Cleveland. The Lakers. Boston. Orlando. It’s not easy.”

– Two days later, and no one with the Hawks seems to know the real story behind Woody’s missing eyebrows (http://tweetphoto.com/9602994). And the accusations and counter-accusations are flying, with everyone seeming to think the person pressing them for info really knows the truth and isn’t saying.

Woody’s still not talking: “To be honest, I don’t know what happened.” And he’s letting them grow back even if the Hawks keep winning.

“It’s growing now as we speak. What am I going to do? Just let it grow.”

After seeing two days’ growth, I’d guess Woody has a good three weeks before they really come back.

– There’s a cattle convention in town (http://www.beefusa.org/convcattleindustryannualconventionandncbatradeshow .aspx). Driving through downtown on the way to the AT & T Center for shootaround, I saw some cowboys with cattle on the sidewalk. I was trippin’ about this. Everyone else just kind of went about their business.

No point to that tidbit, really, just trying to wrap my head around it.

– Talk amongst yourselves, Hawks fans.

ffadicted
01-27-2010, 05:34 PM
Gentleman, if the spurs lose this game prepare for ultimate SpursTalk meltdown to happen

slick'81
01-27-2010, 05:37 PM
not a good matchup for sa that being said spurs could find a way to sack up and get a w but it wont be easy v a very good atl team

Allanon
01-27-2010, 06:22 PM
With 6'10 Al Horford at Center and 6'9 JSmoove at Power Forward, the lure of Small Ball will be too great for Pop to resist.