PDA

View Full Version : ITW TP 28/04 from TP Website

leonarth
04-28-2005, 05:31 AM
« Only the beginning »

Tony, by outplaying Denver (104-76), you have showed everyone that we could not bury San Antonio too quickly. Tonight, it was a huge San Antonio's team.

We have set the record straight. This is what we needed to do as we were hit by the critics following game one. Lots had been said. We thus wanted ti play better by showcasing our true level of play. We needed to forget our fourth quarter and the seventeen consecutive missed shots. Tonight we renewed with our attack potential, while we relied on a solid defense and this is the reason why the range in the score is so high.

You have played like in a dream in the first half, registering a 31 points lead at the half (63-32). In 24 minutes, you have shut down all the critics that fell on you following game one.

It was really Tim (Duncan) and I that were hit with critics. We had to answer on the court. We have showed throughout this game that we were proud to be Spurs. The whole team followed us with a great Brent Barry (4/4 from 3 points). Everyone played well.

We can imagine that Gregg Popovich did not a motivational speech prior to the game…

Pop knew that we were going to react. Unlike Denver, we have playoffs’ experience. On Sunday, it was only one game. Everyone got angry following our loss but all that for what; I have yet to understand! We had the feeling that people forgot that the playoffs were a lengthy process.

How did you react to Charles Barkley’s comments ?

I was very surprised by all the critics that fell on me. I did not think that I perform such a bad game and on top of that, Andre Miller had an incredible game, sinking in shots that he did not use to make. Today I wanted to show that I was focused, I had some hart. Instead of talking in the media, I opted to answer to my critics on the court.

The result, you score 17 points in the first half…

I wanted to set a good example. With Tim we sent a message to Denver. This series will be a war; they won’t beat us just like that. I do not think that Denver is conscious of this. Following game one, the Denver papers were talking about an NBA title! We are only at round one and it they want to come out of it; they’ll have to walk on us by winning four games. I am under the impression that we have not realized what this meant. We know that we must do as we have faced the same situation against Phoenix and Dallas two years ago. To loose the first game of a series, we know what it means. When you are at 1-1, game 3 becomes extremely important.

Brent Barry was in a starting line up in place of Manu Ginobili, why ?

It is to give him confidence. With me penetrating and with Tim Duncan being doubled team, Brent has a few good opportunities from 3 points range. It is easier for him to play with us than with the players on the bench, while this is not a problem for Manu. He does not need anyone to score. This does not change his minutes, as always, he plays some 30 minutes per game.

Now you’ll have to win in Denver to earn back the court advantage.

We are not going to dive head over board. It is not because we have had a large win tonight, that this series is over and done. What happened tonight is normal. There is no joy in me as I know it is only the beginning and all remains to be done.

OM_fever
04-28-2005, 07:48 AM
Nice post!

He keeps his head on the ground! Playoff is a long run & can't be stigmatized by two games, with totally different scenari.
Go spurs!

timvp
04-28-2005, 08:24 AM
We had the feeling that people forgot that the playoffs were a lengthy process.

Tony Parker must read Whottt's posts.