PDA

View Full Version : FIBA Americas event returning to S.A.

duncan228
01-27-2010, 12:55 AM
FIBA Americas event returning to S.A. (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/FIBA_Americas_event_returning_to_SA.html)
By Jerry Briggs - Express-News

Four years ago, Michael Beasley and Jonny Flynn played in a weeklong basketball tournament at St. Mary’s University without much fanfare.

Since then, both have found the spotlight in the NBA.

In that regard, local officials were happy to announce Tuesday that the same tournament that produced Beasley, Flynn & Co. in 2006 is returning to the city.

The FIBA Americas U18 Championship for Men will be played June 26-30 at Greehey Arena on the St. Mary’s campus.

This year’s tournament will feature teams from Argentina, Brazil, Canada, Mexico, Puerto Rico, the United States, Uruguay and the U.S. Virgin Islands.

The top four teams will earn qualifying berths for the 2011 FIBA U19 World Championships for Men. Only athletes born on or after Jan. 1, 1992 are eligible.

In 2006, the U.S. team won the tournament with a roster that includes six current NBA players: Beasley of the Miami Heat; Flynn (Minnesota Timberwolves); Spencer Hawes and Donte Greene (Sacramento Kings), Jerryd Bayless (Portland Trail Blazers) and DaJuan Summers (Detroit Pistons).

Selection of this year’s 12-man squad will be determined in a training camp, closed to the public, scheduled June 14-25 in San Antonio.

Former St. Mary’s coach Buddy Meyer applauded efforts by local organizers at San Antonio Sports to bring the tournament back to the city.

“I think it’s great,” Meyer said. “I hope that the city gets out and supports it. You know, I thought they supported it fairly well the first time, but I really think (that with) the quality of the teams the last time, it should have been a full arena every time that thing opened.”

At a glance

What: FIBA Americas U18 Championship for Men
When: June 26-30
Where: St. Mary's Greehey Arena
Countries: Argentina, Brazil, Canada, Mexico, Puerto Rico, United States, Uruguay, U.S. Virgin Islands

jimo2305
01-27-2010, 05:32 AM
i will be there.. this should be awesome

TimDunkem
01-27-2010, 06:34 AM
Awesome! I can't wait..

ShoogarBear
01-27-2010, 07:49 AM
"FIBA sucks."

ivanfromwestwood
01-27-2010, 09:04 AM
"FIBA sucks."