PDA

View Full Version : Planning a Vacation - Advice!

Soul_Patch
01-27-2010, 01:09 PM
If you could go one place in the Caribbean, where would it be and why?

So many choices, i cant make up my mind!

Viva Las Espuelas
01-27-2010, 01:20 PM
Hawaii, dad?

BacktoBasics
01-27-2010, 01:25 PM
Hands down greatest place I've ever been.

St. Barts

Tourism

St. Barts has long been considered a playground of the rich and famous and is known for its beautiful pristine beaches, gourmet dining in chic bistros and high-end designers.

St. Barts has about 25 hotels, most of them with 15 rooms or fewer. The largest has 58 rooms. Hotels are classified in the traditional French manner 3 Star, 4 Star and 4 Star Luxe.

Most of the rooms allocated to tourism on St Barts are found in private villas. There are approximately 400 privately owned villas available for rent on the island.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Barth%C3%A9lemy

Soul_Patch
01-27-2010, 01:33 PM
I think St. Barts is a bit out of my price range.

Right now Aruba is on the top of my list...can do 4nights at a beach resort + RT Air for around $850 a person...

My buddy is turning 40 this year and we are planning a large group of folks to go somewhere in the Caribbean.

balli
01-27-2010, 01:36 PM
Barbados. It's chill, cheap, beautiful and safe. A little off the beaten path, but not near as ghetto as say, Costa Rica.

But tourism is parasitic, so y'know, even going anywhere would be something to reconsider. IMHO.

timvp
01-27-2010, 03:21 PM
http://www.puntacana.com/

Soul_Patch
01-27-2010, 03:29 PM
http://www.puntacana.com/

Thanks man, Punta Cana is actually second on my list, from what i have seen and read it sounds bad ass. Have you been there, or know anything about the area?

admiralsnackbar
01-27-2010, 03:31 PM
It'd have to be Aruba for me, although Trinidad/Tobago are interesting on the basis of the Calypso culture -- if you're into that.

I have a friend that biked from Cleveland to Tierra del Fuego and back again -- he recommended Nicaragua and El Salvador (not Caribbean, true, but at least Central American) for something off the beaten path.

JudynTX
01-27-2010, 03:32 PM
Hey, how was Vegas with the wife? :D

sa_butta
01-27-2010, 03:33 PM
I would also recommend Punta Cana. I have never been there but I was very close to making a trip there. I still want to go badly.

I. Hustle
01-27-2010, 03:36 PM
I would reccomend Puta Madre. I hear it's beautiful this time of year.

Soul_Patch
01-27-2010, 03:39 PM
Hey, how was Vegas with the wife? :D

It was awesome! We both had a blast and i recommend going to see O at the Bellagio as it was freakin cool...

JudynTX
01-27-2010, 03:43 PM
It was awesome! We both had a blast and i recommend going to see O at the Bellagio as it was freakin cool...

Wasn't it a surprise for her? :D What is "O"?

admiralsnackbar
01-27-2010, 03:44 PM
I would reccomend Puta Madre. I hear it's beautiful this time of year.

:lol

That caught me off guard :toast

RandomGuy
01-27-2010, 06:50 PM
I think St. Barts is a bit out of my price range.

Right now Aruba is on the top of my list...can do 4nights at a beach resort + RT Air for around $850 a person...

My buddy is turning 40 this year and we are planning a large group of folks to go somewhere in the Caribbean.

Don't they do that huge swinging convention thing in the caribbean somewhere?

You could take all your friends to that... :lol

j/k

seriously though, let us know how the trip works out whereever you end up.

baseline bum
01-27-2010, 07:29 PM
If I could go to one place in the Caribbean, it would be to the airport so I could fly to Peru or Switzerland.

timvp
01-28-2010, 03:18 AM
Thanks man, Punta Cana is actually second on my list, from what i have seen and read it sounds bad ass. Have you been there, or know anything about the area?

Yeah, I've been there. It's awesome. There's just about everything you could want in a resort. The drawback is that there isn't a major city anywhere close ... so if you want to experience any type of Dominican culture, you gotta drive a couple hours.

Before going there (or anywhere else near Haiti, really), you should research what effect the earthquake had in that area. I know flights in the region were really expensive for a while and it some resorts/hotels weren't able to accommodate normal capacity. But considering this resort is as far away as possible from Haiti, it should be fine.

But yeah, it's a good idea to support the island of Hispaniola in this time of need :hat

timvp
01-28-2010, 03:19 AM
If I could go to one place in the Caribbean, it would be to the airport so I could fly to Peru or Switzerland.

Chile > Peru