PDA

View Full Version : 48MoH: Sense of Urgency: Another Lockout Could End the Spurs

Blackjack
01-27-2010, 01:36 PM
Sense of Urgency: Another Lockout Could End the Spurs
by Jesse Blanchard

http://blog.kir.com/archives/images/sbc_center.jpg

Spurs fans may feel they have enough worries halfway through this thus far disappointing season. But if there was a call for a new sense of urgency from the Spurs before, ESPN’s Chris Broussard reminded us last night of a much larger problem looming on the horizon (http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/12604/cba-negotiations-could-get-ugly).

Keep reading → (http://www.48minutesofhell.com/2010/01/27/sense-of-urgency-another-lockout-could-end-the-spurs/#more-6192)

ChumpDumper
01-27-2010, 01:44 PM
What do they mean "end"?

EricB
01-27-2010, 01:46 PM
Yeah bad title. Could it finish the dynasty? Possibly. But the title makes it seem like the team would fold. Which they won't...

in2deep
01-27-2010, 01:48 PM
Richard Jefferson really fucked this team over

Ed Helicopter Jones
01-27-2010, 01:53 PM
Nice article.

I know the owners want a much lower salary scale, and want shorter contracts with only portions of them guaranteed, but I don't think they'll be successful at getting everything they want. I could see the salary cap drop, but typically, NBA players have a much longer career life span than the average NFL player, so longer contracts tend to generally work better for basketball teams. In addition, there's enough money to be made overseas that if they chop into player compensation too dramatically, the NBA could potentially lose some of its dominance.

tp2021
01-27-2010, 02:12 PM
End the Spurs as we know them, is what I think he is trying to say.

dbestpro
01-27-2010, 02:28 PM
Richard Jefferson really fucked this team over

Okay, nullify the trade and you get back a retired Bruce Bowen with Kurt Thomas. Pop still plays small ball and you might even see the team struggling to play at .500. No other player replaces RJ because the Spurs then would choose to stay under the luxury tax.

If RJ does not live up to expecations then so be it. Next year he will be the player to have with a 15 mil expiring contract to trade for a superstar to whatever team is in financial trouble.

diego
01-27-2010, 04:33 PM
the players should counter with reducing the number of games. if they reduce the salary scale by 20%, then play 20% less games. of course the owners wont want to hear it, but its the perfect counter.

jb4g
01-27-2010, 05:05 PM
If the owners could gurantee that a reduction in player salaries would equate to a reduction in ticket prices, than i say bring on the lockout. I understand that without the superstars you have no NBA, but really these guys get paid way too much money to play a game. Let them go on strike for a year and not get paid shit, then they will realize how good they have it.

baseline bum
01-27-2010, 05:14 PM
the players should counter with reducing the number of games. if they reduce the salary scale by 20%, then play 20% less games. of course the owners wont want to hear it, but its the perfect counter.

That would be hilarious.