PDA

View Full Version : The Kori Ellis Show - Today (Jan. 27) @ 10:30 PM CST

timvp
01-27-2010, 05:02 PM
You can listen live to the show here:

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/spurstalk/2010/01/28/the-kori-ellis-show--jan-27

To call in: (347) 637-3015

Post questions and/or comments in this thread after the game and Kwoww will respond on air. Best question/comment gets a prize :hat

Kori Ellis
01-27-2010, 05:03 PM
lol @ Kwoww

FalleNxWiZarDx
01-27-2010, 05:23 PM
should be an interesting show tonight

Ill be calling in :)

Bukefal
01-27-2010, 05:32 PM
I was looking forward to hear it, but 10.30? I need my sleep :depressed

Sucks being a fan in Europe. Tired of sleepless nights because of games, tired of watching game highlights and boxscores when I really cant stay awake, tired of only being able to listen to this show the next day.

ah well, i'll listen to it tomorrow :toast

And damn it KBP if you read this, call in the show! You said you would :lol

Allanon
01-27-2010, 05:35 PM
I'll listen in today and see what all this hoopla I've been reading is about

Won't be calling in though :)

MannyIsGod
01-27-2010, 11:21 PM
I'm not going to call in tonight so I'll just make my comments here:

This game is pretty brutal to my heart because in the first half Tony looked healthier than he had the entire season. He was great creating fast breaks on his own (at one point int he first the Spurs had 14 fast break points so they finished that quarter with at least that much) and the penetration and finishing were what we saw out of Parker last year. It was really quite an encouraging sign. So to see him go down in the 2nd half with an ankle injury which looks like at first glance to at least have Parker out until after the All Star Break was a shot to the gut. Unless it just looked way worse than it actually was this is going to be a bad setback at what is a pretty pivotal section of the season.

RJ played extremely aggressively in the first half but that tempered a bit in the 2nd. I was really happy with how he seemed to take it upon himself to create shots at times which was huge. Hopefully this is a sign of things to come. If Tony is up, RJ will have to step up big time.

George Hill was flat out amazing. Can't say much more about him.

Antonio did a great job tonight and it probably makes sense to start him over Blair because of his jumper and better defense. I think Blair is great but maybe we've all gotten swept up in how great he's been and not realized that he's not quite ready and that McDyess seems to work better with Duncan.

Pop starting Bogans in the 2nd half was stupid. Extremely stupid.

polandprzem
01-27-2010, 11:22 PM
Q: How much do you think this spurs D was a fluke in this game?

There were bad decsions by Hawks and spurs players still seems to be lost on positioning themselves.

Q2: Do you think spurs energy can stay on that high level for the rest of a season and if they can keep it up all game long? [not if they must to keep it up, it is if they CAN? (looking at their history and this year)]

objective
01-27-2010, 11:26 PM
I won't call in either, but thought maybe I could get some feedback on my reasons for being pessimistic on Splitter ever signing to be a Spur, and of course how that affects the Spurs willingness to trade his rights.

Is anything I'm putting out there too outlandish on Splitter?

from the Splitter thread

Here's the monkey-wrench for the Spurs . . .

The 2011 lockout/work stoppage. Things are going to get hardcore, a whole season could be lost.

We all know Splitter likes money. You guys don't think he could be scared off by the prospects of being tied into a contract where he could lose an entire year's pay? You think his agent isn't going to explain the hard truth that if he signs with the NBA an entire year of his money-making prime could be down the drain?

And don't count on intangibles as far as luring Splitter. Remember the last time, when Splitter was on the fence over playing for peanuts or making big money in Spain: Spurs refused to guarantee a role/minutes, and RC and Pop refused to go to Spain to kiss his ass and make a personal plea unlike how Portland wooed Rudy Fernandez.

Combine the Lockout Looming with RC and Pop refusing to sweet talk him and make him promises . . . come on guys. Splitter's chances for being a Spur can't be that good.

I've been pessimistic on Splitter for awhile now. I don't like trading for Amare, but let's not kid ourselves, Splitter is no more a Spur than Luis Scola. At least PHX has players Splitter has been with, like Dragic and Barbosa, that could be a reason for Splitter to overlook work stoppage concerns. The Spurs don't have that, at least since they traded away that guy who was his best friend and named his son after Tiago.

timtonymanu
01-27-2010, 11:26 PM
wont be able to tune in because i got to visit my uncle in the hospital but ill be listening to the replay.

Blackjack
01-27-2010, 11:38 PM
objective, you are aware that his younger sister was seriously sick, so sick that she eventually passed, right?

The downturn in the economy played it's part, as he was offered a much more lucrative deal, but I think it's a little unfair to peg him as some money-hungry guy only chasing the dollar; the seriousness of his sister's situation combined with the financial climate kept Splitter from coming over.

Darthkiller
01-28-2010, 12:05 AM
just tuned in to listen to what spurs fans are saying, and all i hear is some dumbass saying that suns fans would be happy to get RJ for amare?

:bang:bang:bang

yeah, let's trade our allstar starter for a worse player with a bad contract. makes sense.

tlongII
01-28-2010, 12:08 AM
no loss = no tlongII call

HarlemHeat37
01-28-2010, 12:21 AM
You guys are way too optimistic about Finley not being in the rotation when he returns..I'll believe it when I see it:(..

objective
01-28-2010, 12:25 AM
objective, you are aware that his younger sister was seriously sick, so sick that she eventually passed, right?

The downturn in the economy played it's part, as he was offered a much more lucrative deal, but I think it's a little unfair to peg him as some money-hungry guy only chasing the dollar; the seriousness of his sister's situation combined with the financial climate kept Splitter from coming over.

Of course I was aware of that.

It was a factor, but don't act like money wasn't a factor. I'm not saying he's Uncle Scrooge or Gordon Gecko, but you have nothing to refute my points. He wasn't playing for rookie scale. What is rookie scale? It's less money.

MaNu4Tres
01-28-2010, 12:29 AM
I personally think Finley is ready, but like someone said Pop knows what Finley can bring. Pop and R.C could just be holding Finley out til after the trade deadline, letting Mason get more time on the floor, boosting his trade value as much as possible.

HarlemHeat37
01-28-2010, 12:31 AM
I personally think Finley is ready, but like someone said Pop knows what Finley can bring. Pop and R.C could just be holding Finley out til after the trade deadline, letting Mason get more time on the floor and boost his trade value as much as possible.

I really hope so..I've just learned to lower my expectations when it comes to Finley..

EricB
01-28-2010, 12:36 AM
just tuned in to listen to what spurs fans are saying, and all i hear is some dumbass saying that suns fans would be happy to get RJ for amare?

:bang:bang:bang

yeah, let's trade our allstar starter for a worse player with a bad contract. makes sense.

I explained my point but all u heard was what u posted. Listennext time don't hear the show.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
01-28-2010, 01:01 AM
Is it over for today? I can't seem to get it to work. I just keep getting the Jazz, episode 6.

Man In Black
01-28-2010, 01:02 AM
Opinions...y'all got some. So let's hear them. We're all comfortable posting, now step up and call. It's no big deal...unless you suck at it :hat

I can't say that all my opinions are dead-on but I'm willing to talk about it on-air and so should you.

timvp
01-28-2010, 01:03 AM
Is it over for today? I can't seem to get it to work.Yeah, ended a half hour ago.

Here's the link to the recording:

RuffnReadyOzStyle
01-28-2010, 01:05 AM
Yeah, ended a half hour ago.

Here's the link to the recording:

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/spurstalk/2010/01/21/the-kori-ellis-show--jan-20

Thanks, that link works, although the date looks wrong.

I've been really busy lately but I'll call in again soon. :)

Edit: Actually, that link just goes to Episode 6 as well.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
01-28-2010, 01:11 AM
The link in the first post is working now though.

timvp
01-28-2010, 01:13 AM
The link in the first post is working now though.

Oops, yeah, my bad.

Blackjack
01-28-2010, 01:17 AM
Of course I was aware of that.

It was a factor, but don't act like money wasn't a factor. I'm not saying he's Uncle Scrooge or Gordon Gecko, but you have nothing to refute my points. He wasn't playing for rookie scale. What is rookie scale? It's less money.

Where did I say it didn't play a part?

Look, I have no problem with you believing the guy's not coming over. You have your reasons and they're perfectly legitimate. But if you knew about his sister beforehand, I just couldn't understand how you could be so dismissive of it.

I'm not an apologist for Splitter. Hell, I'm not even all that high on him as a player ( I like him and he'd help the team, but I see him as more of a white-collar Pachulia -- a more talented athlete without the blue-collar work-ethic) but if I assume he's a half-way decent human being and I put myself in his shoes, I have a hard time faulting him and his decision: you find out your sister is seriously sick, you've got your whole life overseas and you're presented the option of taking a rookie pay-scale contract over in the states or a contract that will pay you somewhere around four-times as much money without you having to leave your family; it doesn't seem like it'd be that hard a decision to make.

As for him coming over next year, well, he's not bound by the rookie contract anymore. And given the couple of reports that have come to light recently, it's sounding like his intentions are to come over next year.

Now, am I holding my breath? Of course not. But it wouldn't shock me one bit to see him here next year. If the Spurs are as desperate as they surely seem to be and they haven't managed to trade his rights by then, I've got to believe they'll acquiesce a bit when it comes to his contract. Maybe offer him around $4M to come over and give him a player option in his second or third year (if that's what it'll take), so that he has some kind of out for a work stoppage? I'm no scholar when it comes to the CBA or familiar with all the ins and outs, but it doesn't sound like that's completely out of the realm.

We'll see, I guess..

objective
01-28-2010, 01:46 AM
I like Splitter a lot more than Pachulia. I think Splitter is a legit starting center in the NBA, and would be one of the better ones. That's much better than ZaZa. Pachulia isn't as smart on the court either and contests shots imo clearly less effectively than Splitter.

My bit about the money isn't a variable really. Sister or not . . . the money was a big factor in his decision, if not the factor. Because Tau came to him with the big offer, that was the turning point that had everyone concerned when the news first started to leak out.

And the lockout concern isn't exclusive to Splitter. Any foreigner whose rights are held will have to factor a stoppage into their decision about coming to the NBA.

Now if some big breakthrough happens between now and July and everyone is hugs and kisses then it's moot.

However, I just brought up money from a stoppage point of view. I haven't even brought up whether or not the Spurs can affort to spend the MLE on Splitter next year, as far as ownership's pursestrings are concerned. Maybe this season causes a rollback on expenses.

Maybe it comes down to not spending the MLE, and they haven't always spent all of it. Maybe the Spurs choose to spend that money to re-up Bonner instead like they did in 07 instead of Scola. After all, maybe they talk themselves out of Splitter, and start hyping that Splitter doesn't spread the floor, he doesn't rebound, he demands to start, or any other of the anti-Scola screed people believed. Or maybe they have to use that money on Roger Mason. Maybe the MLE will be so reduced from the cap projections for next year it won't be enough for Splitter regardless.

There's so many things going on that I can't reason how anyone could be more than 50/50 on the Spurs chances to sign him other than faith.

So I'm pessimistic. Do I give zero chance that he signs? No, of course not. He could be a Spur next season, and I would be thrilled if he was, provided Pop would play him. I hope he's a Spur. But I'm not counting on it.

Blackjack
01-28-2010, 02:33 AM
I like Splitter a lot more than Pachulia. I think Splitter is a legit starting center in the NBA, and would be one of the better ones. That's much better than ZaZa. Pachulia isn't as smart on the court either and contests shots imo clearly less effectively than Splitter.
I like him more than Pachulia, but as far as NBA comparisons go, I view Zaza as a poor man's Splitter.

At best, I view Tiago as a number-two big and an important cog for a front line (a bit like a PJ Brown in his stature in the league but not mirroring in skill set). I do like him, but given his lack of overall physicality and ability to block or rebound shots at a very high rate, I just don't see him as being all that imposing defensively.

Offensively, he's got nice hands and touch around the basket and he's an overall intelligent ball player; pretty nice passer with the ability to facilitate some. He's got good mobility that would serve the Spurs well in the screen and roll game and he's pretty decent at putting the ball on the floor for a straight-line drive. But I don't see him translating as well as Gasol. I know they've often been compared, but Marc is just a bigger, more physical hombre. Tiago will no doubt have success in the league, but unless he ends up playing in an uptempo system with a Nash-like point-guard, I can't see him averaging 17 and 10 (or whatever the numbers are that I've seen posted). I just see him as being a really solid player and contributor; there's been nothing he's shown or great progression I've been able to glean, that tells me he'll be some kind of star or franchise cornerstone.

My bit about the money isn't a variable really. Sister or not . . . the money was a big factor in his decision, if not the factor. Because Tau came to him with the big offer, that was the turning point that had everyone concerned when the news first started to leak out.
I don't know why you feel the need to stress it; I agree. But it wasn't the sole factor and given the circumstances surrounding him, can you honestly say you wouldn't have done or advised someone in the same position to do the same? Family's family and a financial incentive like the one he was presented, well, it seems a no-brainer.

And the lockout concern isn't exclusive to Splitter. Any foreigner whose rights are held will have to factor a stoppage into their decision about coming to the NBA.
I'm fully aware. But if the guy was offered a good chunk of the MLE to come over for a year and had the opportunity to opt-out, as to not lose cash in the process, you've got to believe that'd be enough incentive, right?

Playing in the NBA did seem to be a goal of his and he genuinely seemed excited at the prospect when he was brought over a while back. So, maybe, even if it's just for a year or two, he's looking to come over and scratch that itch? Again, I'm not holding my breath, but there seems to be more reason for optimism, imo, than there has been at any other point.

Maybe it comes down to not spending the MLE, and they haven't always spent all of it. Maybe the Spurs choose to spend that money to re-up Bonner instead like they did in 07 instead of Scola. After all, maybe they talk themselves out of Splitter, and start hyping that Splitter doesn't spread the floor, he doesn't rebound, he demands to start, or any other of the anti-Scola screed people believed. Or maybe they have to use that money on Roger Mason. Maybe the MLE will be so reduced from the cap projections for next year it won't be enough for Splitter regardless.
If that happened to be the case, I think you'd hear the biggest collective headslap in the history of the world from the Spurs' fanbase..

There's so many things going on that I can't reason how anyone could be more than 50/50 on the Spurs chances to sign him other than faith.

So I'm pessimistic. Do I give zero chance that he signs? No, of course not. He could be a Spur next season, and I would be thrilled if he was, provided Pop would play him. I hope he's a Spur. But I'm not counting on it.

Fair take and perfectly reasonable; can't say I differ all that much in the grand scheme of things.:tu

objective
01-28-2010, 02:56 AM
I don't know why you feel the need to stress it; I agree. But it wasn't the sole factor and given the circumstances surrounding him, can you honestly say you wouldn't have done or advised someone in the same position to do the same? Family's family and a financial incentive like the one he was presented, well, it seems a no-brainer.

The reason I stress it is that based on publicly available information, the tide turned when Tau came to him with the big offer. His sister had been sick for a long period before that and was even known to posters due to articles. I don't see any way to underplay it, but everything was a-okay until the big offer.

I'm fully aware. But if the guy was offered a good chunk of the MLE to come over for a year and had the opportunity to opt-out, as to not lose cash in the process, you've got to believe that'd be enough incentive, right?

I don't think that's seems plausible as an incentive. One I don't think there would be an opt-out after only a year, that would be bad for the Spurs, so it would be a minimum of a two-year deal unless he would be asking for a release . . . but the Spurs wouldn't do it if he played well in 2011.

So the way I see it . . . Splitter has 2 guaranteed years with Caja if he doesn't come to the NBA. He could be presented by his agent and by Caja with the scenario that :

Stay here for two more years. Let the NBA settle their contract dispute. Make a lot of money and stay in the same place you've called home since you were 15 years old. The NBA will still be there in 2012, you'll still only be 27 that summer. The same age Luis Scola was as a rookie, and he's had a great career!

That honestly sounds like a reasonable course of action; Caja could extend him past 2012 but still give him an NBA opt out in 2012.

Blackjack
01-28-2010, 03:59 AM
The reason I stress it is that based on publicly available information, the tide turned when Tau came to him with the big offer. His sister had been sick for a long period before that and was even known to posters due to articles. I don't see any way to underplay it, but everything was a-okay until the big offer.

You may be right, I have no way of knowing for sure. But given the circumstance, I put myself in his shoes and gave him the benefit of a doubt; whether that was foolish, remains to be seen. I have no idea if something changed in him or his sister that happened to coincide around the same time of the Tau offer, or if Tau's offer was the sole and/or driving-force that prevented him from coming over.

I don't think that's seems plausible as an incentive. One I don't think there would be an opt-out after only a year, that would be bad for the Spurs, so it would be a minimum of a two-year deal unless he would be asking for a release . . . but the Spurs wouldn't do it if he played well in 2011.

I'm not sure the Spurs would feel they had a choice, given the immediacy of the times; getting him here with Tim, as soon as possible, would seem to provide an impetus like never before. I agree this would be a departure from the norm and something the Spurs would never venture to do, but them acquiescing, in these current times, might be in their best interests (if getting another ring for Tim is really the goal and driving-force in the front office).

So the way I see it . . . Splitter has 2 guaranteed years with Caja if he doesn't come to the NBA. He could be presented by his agent and by Caja with the scenario that :

Stay here for two more years. Let the NBA settle their contract dispute. Make a lot of money and stay in the same place you've called home since you were 15 years old. The NBA will still be there in 2012, you'll still only be 27 that summer. The same age Luis Scola was as a rookie, and he's had a great career!

That honestly sounds like a reasonable course of action; Caja could extend him past 2012 but still give him an NBA opt out in 2012.

Logical. The question I have is, what would be the discrepancy in pay if he were to get an offer for the bulk of the MLE? How much is he making yearly? If the Spurs did go against the grain (in a short-sighted, win-now effort) and gave him a one or two-year deal with an opt-out, what would be the harm in coming over, getting paid better or comparably and heading back over should he feel the need to; Surely there'd be another lucrative deal waiting upon his return from a club..

Again, I know the guy's skill set and make-up on the court, but I know little-to-nothing about the type of person he is; the idea of playing with Tim and having a chance to win an NBA Championship would seem to be a carrot for most. But maybe he's interested in nothing but cash and playing time, so coming over when there's little-to-know competition is something that's more appealing to him; not exactly Spurs material if that's the case..

I can't say the scenario you present doesn't make sense or isn't even the one I'd bet on if forced to choose, but, as a Spurs fan, I'm hoping the guy has the type of character and want-to to make the decision to come over.

Kill_Bill_Pana
01-28-2010, 04:55 PM
Bourousis just destroyed Splitter in Euroleague game. I will like to talk about this in show. When will this be on in earlier time?

polandprzem
01-29-2010, 03:26 AM
You can listen live to the show here:

To call in: (347) 637-3015

Post questions and/or comments in this thread after the game and Kwoww will respond on air. Best question/comment gets a prize :hat

Anybody got a prize? :greedy:lobt2::greedy

Allanon
01-29-2010, 03:29 AM
I listened to the previous broadcast recording...tlong was actually pretty good :lol

mouse
01-29-2010, 04:53 AM
Still waiting for the prepaid cell phone!