PDA

View Full Version : I don't think some of you all realize how darn good Splitter is and will become...

blkroadrunners
01-27-2010, 05:36 PM
If the Spurs were to pursue the trade for Amar'e or better yet any NBA player, there's no way they should include the rights of Tiago Splitter.

I'm pretty sure this has been posted in the past but he's a great lost post player who shows solid footwork, good strength, and runs the floor well. He's a very aggressive player as well. So far for Caja Laboral in the Spanish league TAU Ceramica, he's been averaging 13.7 ppg, 6.7 rbg, and shooting the ball at around 53%, all at 27 minutes per game.

It's been an off year for him, but still these are impressive numbers especially in a competitive league. In some past international tnmts, he's even played considerably better than other NBA Brazilian players such as Barbosa, Varejao, and also Nene.

He's eligible to play in the NBA after this season, and shown interest in playing this league as well.

slick'81
01-27-2010, 05:38 PM
lets just hope he ever comes to the nba first

Johnny RIngo
01-27-2010, 05:39 PM
Spurs should have drafted Marc Gasol instead. At least he's playing in the NBA.

Allanon
01-27-2010, 05:39 PM
Suns will want Hill or Splitter at least I think.

Take your pick.

noles1983
01-27-2010, 05:43 PM
seeming as how splitter is not even in the NBA i would trade him over Hill

vander
01-27-2010, 05:45 PM
:lol Scola all over again?

senorglory
01-27-2010, 05:46 PM
Splitter may as well be a fictional character.

Scola all over again.

HarlemHeat37
01-27-2010, 05:46 PM
I'm sure he would be a good player, but I wouldn't hesitate to give him up if there's a need that can be filled for this year..

I just REALLY don't want to reject a deal because they want Splitter, only for him to NOT come to the NBA next year..that would just be devastating..

LOL@MavsFan
01-27-2010, 05:47 PM
Go Spurs Go!

jjktkk
01-27-2010, 05:47 PM
:lol Scola all over again?

The difference, it this trade would happen, is Stoudamire is no Jackie Butler.

crc21209
01-27-2010, 05:51 PM
Suns will want Hill or Splitter at least I think.

Take your pick.

Then Splitter it is...peace. :lol

ffadicted
01-27-2010, 05:55 PM
Fuck Amar'e, but with that said, I actually agree I think Splitter is gonna be a great player in the NBA, and I think the spurs really should try to keep his rights.

Spursfan 87
01-27-2010, 05:56 PM
I watch him live in Fiba Americas, and the guy is over rated. The guy is a solid player BUT he is not an all star, he's no savior. Just a defensive center, who struggles against bigger guys.

On offense: He has a decent post game and he can finish with either hand. He has nothing close to a jump shot, sucks from the FT line.

They guy can help us, but is not the second coming of TD.

His ceiling is Andris Biedrins

Agloco
01-27-2010, 05:59 PM
I watch him live in Fiba Americas, and the guy is over rated. The guy is a solid player BUT he is not an all star, he's no savior. Just a defensive center, who struggles against bigger guys.

On offense: He has a decent post game and he can finish with either hand. He has nothing close to a jump shot, sucks from the FT line.

They guy can help us, but is not the second coming of TD.

His ceiling is Andris Biedrins

As was the case with MJ........ there is no second coming of TD.

01-27-2010, 06:02 PM
his ceiling is probably the current marc gasol. which, if true, would be pretty damn good next to an all-star big like tim duncan.

Allanon
01-27-2010, 06:03 PM
Then Splitter it is...peace. :lol

Therein lies the rub.

Splitter has the natural higher talent ceiling due to his size. Hill is much easier to replace but at the same time, Hill is actually here playing well for the Spurs.

Bird in the hand...? :lol

Bukefal
01-27-2010, 06:04 PM
He is a good player, and I hope he makes it, but it's a too big risk to be sure on him yet. If we can do something good and it means to give him up also, Well I think it should be considered.

blkroadrunners
01-27-2010, 06:11 PM
The fact that he's 25 now hurts, but at least IF he signs next year, he should be more than NBA ready. Andris Biedrins (before back injury)/ Marc Gasol comparisons aren't bad at all, in my opinion...

Blackjack
01-27-2010, 06:11 PM
Splitter isn't the type of talent that should preclude the team from making a deal that makes them believe they'll have a better shot at winning in the short-term; he's not some future star or franchise cornerstone.

What he is, is a very solid rotation big (maybe even a really good number-two when it's all said and done):

He's got good size, but he's not a shot blocker or very good rebounder (he's not someone you'd consider all that physical or disruptive defensively); he's got good athleticism and mobility (could potentially do well with the Spurs screen and roll) but he's not a great or elite athlete; he's got nice hands and touch around the basket, but he doesn't finish all that great or strong in traffic (the term "soft" comes to mind at times); he's an intelligent player who's a pretty deft passer (capable of facilitating some offense from both the high and low post); and he's pretty good at putting the ball on the floor to exploit a charging/rotating/recovering defender, but his lack of a jumper would prevent him from consistently being effective doing so (he also happens to be a poor free-throw shooter that's suddenly looking decent; maybe Tim and him have talked?)

Bottom line, he'd be a really nice cog to add to the program moving forward and should be able to help almost immediately (it could very well take him a year to acclimate and contribute the way he's capable), but losing him is a small price to pay if it puts you in better position to win now.

Tim's healthy now, you can't take that for granted..

crc21209
01-27-2010, 06:12 PM
Splitter isn't the type of talent that should preclude the team from making a deal that makes them believe they'll have a better shot at winning in the short-term; he's not some future star or franchise cornerstone.

What he is, is a very solid rotation big (maybe even a really good number-two when it's all said and done):

He's got good size, but he's not a shot blocker or very good rebounder (he's not someone you'd consider all that physical or disruptive defensively); he's got good athleticism and mobility (could potentially do well with the Spurs screen and roll) but he's not a great or elite athlete; he's got nice hands and touch around the basket, but he doesn't finish all that great or strong in traffic (the term "soft" comes to mind at times); he's an intelligent player who's a pretty deft passer (capable of facilitating some offense from both the high and low post); and he's pretty good at putting the ball on the floor to exploit a charging/rotating/recovering defender, but his lack of a jumper would prevent him from consistently being effective doing so (he also happens to be a poor free-throw shooter that's suddenly looking decent; maybe Tim and him have talked?)

Bottom line, he'd be a really nice cog to add to the program moving forward and should be able to help almost immediately (it could very well take him a year to acclimate and contribute the way he's capable), but losing him is a small price to pay if it puts you in better position to win now.

Tim's healthy now, you can't take that for granted..

+1000000000000. Nothing in the future is guaranteed. The time is NOW.

lcroock
01-27-2010, 06:14 PM
Trading for Amare means Splitter isn't coming to San Anton regardless of whether we trade his rights. He will want to go somewhere where he has a shot at starting, not backing up Tim and Amare.

DJB
01-27-2010, 06:23 PM
Franchise player who averages 20 and 9 for his career > smelly euro who has never set foot in the NBA

Blackjack
01-27-2010, 06:25 PM
Well, he's bigger than Scola. That's not debatable; everything else is..

Chieflion
01-27-2010, 06:25 PM
If he doesn't even want to get into the NBA,

my $20 in the wallet >>>>>>> the rights to Tiago Splitter.

Blackjack
01-27-2010, 06:33 PM
FWIW (it at least makes him a more attractive asset if it's believed)

The Spurs also own the rights to one of the best young centers in Europe, Tiago Splitter (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/4306), whom a source says could leave the Spanish League to get to the NBA next season.

Bigzax
01-27-2010, 06:36 PM
Amare doesn't put the spurs over the top.

Trading Jefferson for pieces of the puzzle and then adding Splitter next year might.

yavozerb
01-27-2010, 06:38 PM
Well, he's bigger than Scola. That's not debatable; everything else is..

I agree..People can try and give a scouting report on him all you want. Nobody expected scola or even marc gasol to be as good as they are and they are legit NBA big men.

kjhip1
01-27-2010, 06:45 PM
I agree..People can try and give a scouting report on him all you want. Nobody expected scola or even marc gasol to be as good as they are and they are legit NBA big men.

ummm many expected Scola to be good not great..however, I do think that we need to stay put at not worrying about a big trade for Amare. I think a decent shot blocker, such as haywood, would be great for our defensive efforts. I do believe Tiago will opt for the NBA and will make some type of contribution. Many fail to realize how much the Euro game have increased in pro skill and competition level. That said, it'll be hard for POP to find what works for the next half of the season especially since RJ has not contributed effectively as we all thought. I do think the FO will make some type of move but at the same time I think POP will have to trust his young players. This will make of break the SPURS this season.

Agloco
01-27-2010, 06:46 PM
Splitter is a very good player and probably the Spurs biggest trading chip. He should have been in the NBA by now. The question is, will the spurs be able to sign him this summer. If not he'll be 27 or older his rookie year.

But he is better than Scola.

Well......

Scola's turned out to be pretty damn good. If Splitter can duplicate what Luis is doing as a 7 footer, that's more than enough reason to not give up his rights. All the talk about giving his rights up as part of a package for Amare is kinda foolish when put in that context.

Does he block shots? Or at least alter a few?

samikeyp
01-27-2010, 06:49 PM
I have a question....was Splitter under contract with Tau and just signed an extension or did his contract expire and then he signed a new one?

Thanks.

dbestpro
01-27-2010, 06:53 PM
I too think many Spur fans have under valued Splitter. I have watched him play as well many times and I think his game will translate very well to the NBA and the way the Spurs play. He has a good bbIQ and has controlled athleticism. His ouside shot is better than some might expect and he has a quick enough step to cause problems for most of the slow footed bigs in the NBA. He is more than capable of a career 17-19 ppg with 6-8 rpg. Numbers that most of you would say makes Splitter the 3rd coming. Of course you will scoff until you finally see for yourself.

Blackjack
01-27-2010, 06:57 PM
I have a question....was Splitter under contract with Tau and just signed an extension or did his contract expire and then he signed a new one?

Thanks.

I can't remember the exact terms of the contract off the top of my head, but he had an opt-out built into the extension.

objective
01-27-2010, 07:11 PM
Here's the monkey-wrench for the Spurs . . .

The 2011 lockout/work stoppage. Things are going to get hardcore, a whole season could be lost.

We all know Splitter likes money. You guys don't think he could be scared off by the prospects of being tied into a contract where he could lose an entire year's pay? You think his agent isn't going to explain the hard truth that if he signs with the NBA an entire year of his money-making prime could be down the drain?

And don't count on intangibles as far as luring Splitter. Remember the last time, when Splitter was on the fence over playing for peanuts or making big money in Spain: Spurs refused to guarantee a role/minutes, and RC and Pop refused to go to Spain to kiss his ass and make a personal plea unlike how Portland wooed Rudy Fernandez.

Combine the Lockout Looming with RC and Pop refusing to sweet talk him and make him promises . . . come on guys. Splitter's chances for being a Spur can't be that good.

I've been pessimistic on Splitter for awhile now. I don't like trading for Amare, but let's not kid ourselves, Splitter is no more a Spur than Luis Scola. At least PHX has players Splitter has been with, like Dragic and Barbosa, that could be a reason for Splitter to overlook work stoppage concerns. The Spurs don't have that, at least since they traded away that guy who was his best friend and named his son after Tiago.

Pero
01-27-2010, 07:15 PM
But he is better than Scola.

Is he really?

Bruno
01-27-2010, 08:31 PM
http://www.lancenet.com.br/noticias/10-01-27/690618.stm?basquete-splitter-pode-estar-perto-de-se-despedir-da-euroliga

Spurs have kept a direct contact with Tiago, they send people in Europe to see Taigo play. Odd that he goes to the NAb are very good but talks will happen this summer.

All of this could be Agent's usual BS with Splitter using Spurs to get an even bigger contract (fool me once...) but maybe not...

If Splitter is a somewhat competitor, playing in NBA instead of crappy European leagues should be his priority.

jimo2305
01-27-2010, 08:38 PM
STOP SAYING SPLITTER!!!!

close the door already.. he's not coming.. even i took a hint after the 3rd year of being tiago'ed..

Josepatches_
01-27-2010, 08:39 PM

Nobody? Maybe you or Pop. Best players in ACB are good players in the NBA.

Navarro,Rudy,Scola,Marc Gasol,Calderon.....they were in the top10 here when he went to the NBA and they are/were good enough to be starter in the NBA and to average around 10ppg or more.

Splitter is one of them,sure.
For example Oberto or Elson were playing here in Spain but they werent at his level.They were in a second level with players like Marcus Haislip who was in Malaga.Well Elson was even worse.He was like Dice now

Is Splitter better than Stoudemire? No but he's not so far.I would like to see Amare without Nash.
Is Amare better than Marc Gasol? Well,of course yes but who of them could be better for us? I'm not so sure.I even would pick Marc who is taller,better at rebounds and a better defensive player overall.

Splitter isnt worse than Marc,maybe not better but pretty similar.He's even better shotblocker and Marc has a better IQ.

But I'm not seeing Splitter coming to the NBA next year.He's happy here and he can win more money in Europe when he is paid like a superstar and not like a role player.

wildbill2u
01-27-2010, 08:45 PM
Why would we want Amare for one year and lose Splitter for it. Splitter could be a good player here in our system for years. I don't think we could keep Amare here past his current contract.

MateoNeygro
01-27-2010, 08:45 PM
why would the suns want george hill? They have Goran or whatever....They'll probably want Splitters rights but fuck that do not trade Manu!