PDA

View Full Version : WSJ: Obama Changes NASA mission

spursncowboys
01-27-2010, 07:17 PM
White House Decides to Outsource NASA Work

By ANDY PASZTOR (http://online.wsj.com/search/search_center.html?KEYWORDS=ANDY+PASZTOR+&ARTICLESEARCHQUERY_PARSER=bylineAND)

The White House has decided to begin funding private companies to carry NASA astronauts into space, but the proposal faces major political and budget hurdles, according to people familiar with the matter.
The controversial proposal, expected to be included in the Obama administration's next budget, would open a new chapter in the U.S. space program. The goal is to set up a multiyear, multi-billion-dollar initiative allowing private firms, including some start-ups, to compete to build and operate spacecraft capable of ferrying U.S. astronauts into orbit—and eventually deeper into the solar system.

Congress is likely to challenge the concept's safety and may balk at shifting dollars from existing National Aeronautics and Space Administration programs already hurting for funding to the new initiative. The White House's ultimate commitment to the initiative is murky, according to these people, because the budget isn't expected to outline a clear, long-term funding plan.

The White House's NASA budget also envisions stepped-up support for climate-monitoring and environmental projects, along with enhanced international cooperation across both manned and unmanned programs.
Press officials for NASA and the White House have declined to comment. Industry and government officials have talked about the direction of the next NASA budget, but declined to be identified.

The idea of outsourcing a portion of NASA's manned space program to the private sector gained momentum after recommendations from a presidential panel appointed last year. The panel, chaired by former Lockheed Martin Corp. Chairman Norman Augustine, argued that allowing companies to build and launch their own rockets and spacecraft to carry American astronauts into orbit would save money and also free up NASA to focus on more ambitious, longer-term goals.

However, many in NASA's old guard oppose the plan. Charles Precourt, a former chief of NASA's astronaut corps who is now a senior executive at aerospace and defense firm Alliant Techsystems Inc., said that farming out large portions of the manned space program to private firms would be a "really radical" and an "extremely high risk" path. Unless the overall budget goes up, he said, whatever new direction NASA pursues "isn't going to be viable."

Such arguments already are raging around NASA's Ares I rocket, which could be replaced or scaled back if the commercial option gains traction. Some Ares I contract work could be shifted toward providing the basic elements of a future larger, more-powerful NASA family of rockets. Alliant and other Ares proponents have argued the program is several years behind schedule primarily because Congress and previous administrations failed to provide promised funding. According to some of these analyses, Congress in the past five years earmarked a total of about $4 billion less than initially projected for NASA's manned exploration programs. The design of the Ares I also changed and became more complex since its inception.

Ares critics, on the other hand, counter that instead of costing about $4.3 billion as originally planned, the Ares booster is likely to cost more than three times that much. The program already has spent roughly $4 billion, and these critics say that exceeds original funding profiles for the Ares I by hundreds of millions of dollars. Moreover, they say that year-by-year expenditures actually exceeded the original timetable. NASA's last budget projected spending another $9.5 billion through 2015.

Space Exploration Technologies Corp., founded by Internet entrepreneur Elon Musk, is one of the start-up commercial ventures likely to gain from the proposed policy shift. But other large incumbent NASA contractors such as Lockheed Martin and Boeing Co. also are likely to compete for some of the anticipated government seed money earmarked for new commercial ventures.

The White House's budget is bound to spark a battle with Congress because NASA would have to kill off big chunks of its existing manned exploration program in order to finance some of these new initiatives in the coming years. The budget package, slated to be released in early February, is expected to stop short of proposing major cancellations. But it also isn't likely to specify how all the different programs can be adequately funded in the future.

Under the White House proposal, the agency's top-line budget is expected to stay close to the $18.7 billion in the current fiscal year. Only a small portion—roughly $200 million—is likely to be slated for the initial phase of opening up NASA's manned space exploration program to private firms. However, that initiative is expected to cost a least $3.5 billion—and potentially much more—over the next five years.

Rep. Gabrielle Giffords, an Arizona Democrat who heads a key subcommittee, has blasted the notion of shifting money to outsource transporting astronauts to the international space station. Unless Congress makes the NASA budget a higher priority, Rep. Giffords said during a hearing last month, there won't be enough money for robust manned exploration efforts of any kind and U.S. human space flight could be "on hold for the foreseeable future."

Marcus Bryant
01-27-2010, 07:25 PM
Congress is likely to challenge the concept's safety

coyotes_geek
01-27-2010, 07:47 PM
I don't have a problem with this. Everything NASA uses got built by contractors anyways. Why not outsource some missions as well?

George Gervin's Afro
01-27-2010, 07:57 PM
Too bad there aren't more senior Democrat congressmen from Tx to lobby on behalf of Nasa..

Thanks Tom DeLay.

Aggie Hoopsfan
01-27-2010, 08:04 PM
LOL, that's going to work out well for Obama in places like Florida with a heavy dependency on NASA for jobs, income, etc.

SouthernFried
01-27-2010, 09:17 PM
Actually...this is one of the very, very...very few areas that I actually wanted govt to be more involved in.

Never minded private contractors have their go at it as well....but, was thinking something grander for the country as whole. I've always thought the right guy (like JFK mebbe?) could really unite and give purpose to a lot of people in this country by deciding to do space in a really...really big way.

Like..."we plan on having a colonies not only on Mars and the Moon...but, Jupiter's Europa and others as well."

Don't think Obama think's the same way.

"Space program? What's that? Give it to the capitalists. If they find something, we can take it away later."

...and so it goes.

Winehole23
01-27-2010, 09:28 PM
Actually...this is one of the very, very...very few areas that I actually wanted govt to be more involved in.

Never minded private contractors have their go at it as well....but, was thinking something grander for the country as whole. I've always thought the right guy (like JFK mebbe?) could really unite and give purpose to a lot of people in this country by deciding to do space in a really...really big way.

Like..."we plan on having a colonies not only on Mars and the Moon...but, Jupiter's Europa and others as well."

...and so it goes.lIsaQWvILNY

Winehole23
01-27-2010, 09:30 PM
Z18-X5vtO7Y

SouthernFried
01-27-2010, 09:34 PM
Actually...I don't think Obama actually gives a fuck about space, or the potentials inherent in infinite everything. Got his ideals and powers around limiting folk, rather than inspiring them or a country...into something greater.

I can see him saying..."fuck, I dont give a shit about the potentials of space, lets cut spending there and maybe I can get some credibility right now about being a serious fiscal restraint guy."

But, then again...I've always thought of Obama as a reactionary, not a visionary type of dude.

Winehole23
01-27-2010, 09:47 PM
A heartless bureaucrat pinches a bureau, driving their jobs and livelihoods out the door pitilessly, into the wide world, bootless, to seek their fortunes elsewhere.

Wah.

The emphasis and execution of privatization of government goes back at least, what, 15 years? We've even privatized "peacekeeping" functions in war zones. Who knows what else we'll give out as piecework to private companies in the future.

Why not the space program?

Wild Cobra
01-27-2010, 10:09 PM
Huston... we have a problem...

We cannot land until the contractor strike is over...

Winehole23
01-27-2010, 10:13 PM
What contractor strike?

Aggie Hoopsfan
01-27-2010, 10:42 PM
Actually...I don't think Obama actually gives a fuck about space, or the potentials inherent in infinite everything. Got his ideals and powers around limiting folk, rather than inspiring them or a country...into something greater.

I can see him saying..."fuck, I dont give a shit about the potentials of space, lets cut spending there and maybe I can get some credibility right now about being a serious fiscal restraint guy."

But, then again...I've always thought of Obama as a reactionary, not a visionary type of dude.

I suspect you hit on part of it as far as being able to play up fiscal responsibility.

But you and I both know he won't get rid of that amount in the budget - he'll just redirect it all to his buddies and in more wealth distribution.

Winehole23
01-27-2010, 10:46 PM
Public contracts to private contractors surely count as wealth distribution too, do they not?

Marcus Bryant
01-27-2010, 10:51 PM
Public contracts to private contractors surely count as wealth distribution too, do they not?

Not if you wrap one of...

http://www.jmadden.info/Cross-Country/USFlag.jpg

....these around it.

Wild Cobra
01-27-2010, 10:52 PM
What contractor strike?
:stirpot:

Can't you tell?

Can't you see the possibility... contracting some work to a company that is union, without a no strike clause?

Marcus Bryant
01-27-2010, 10:54 PM
Of course, if it smells of capitalism, then by all means let's get some SouthernFried nationalism going on.

Aggie Hoopsfan
01-27-2010, 10:54 PM

We've had a lot of technologies come out of NASA as well, keep in mind.

I guess the other thing is - how many private corporations do you think would be able to stay in business after things like Challenger and Columbia?

Winehole23
01-27-2010, 11:01 PM
What technologies came out of NASA? I'll admit i know nothing about it. Maybe you could list them briefly for us, AHF.

Wild Cobra
01-27-2010, 11:07 PM
We've had a lot of technologies come out of NASA as well, keep in mind.

I guess the other thing is - how many private corporations do you think would be able to stay in business after things like Challenger and Columbia?
LOL...

That's why the democrats want to turn this over.

Class...

Can you say "trial lawyer?"

Democrats love trial lawyers!

spursncowboys
01-27-2010, 11:13 PM
I'm surprised out of that article. Nothing about Nasa's new role is investigating global warming.

balli
01-27-2010, 11:52 PM
If only because The Enemy, err I mean President, wants different...

Ah discontented rabble, happy with nothing, opposed to everything. Even yourselves.

I'm surprised out of that article. Nothing about Nasa's new role is investigating global warming.
Particularly retarded tonight, I see.

Wild Cobra
01-28-2010, 12:26 AM
They have been active at tracking global warming for years. Gavin Schmidt (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gavin_Schmidt) is a climate modeler for NASA/GISS (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goddard_Institute_for_Space_Studies) and runs RealClimate (http://www.realclimate.org/) in his off time. James Hansen (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Hansen), an outspoken Global Warming Alarmist, is the head of NASA/GISS (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goddard_Institute_for_Space_Studies). Hansen has been brought to the floor a few times by NASA. One well known time was Hansen's data showing 1998 as the hottest year, after it was shown to be wrong, and corrected to 1934.

Maybe now that the democrats are in charge, they are filtering more money to these activists to justify Cap and Tax?

RealClimate Contributor Bios (http://www.realclimate.org/index.php/archives/category/extras/contributor-bios/)

Hmmm.... our favorite Hockey player... I mean... Hockey-stick Mann is there too!

Here's a clip about Hansen... start at 10:35, interview with Hansen starts just after 13:00:

Censoring Science: Inside the Political Attack on Dr. James Hansen and the Truth of Global Warming (http://www.democracynow.org/2008/3/21/censoring_science_inside_the_political_attack)

ElNono
01-28-2010, 12:32 AM

Well, depends if they're "Too big to fail" or not... lol

coyotes_geek
01-28-2010, 09:26 AM
Well, depends if they're "Too big to fail" or not... lol

:lol

Genius response. :toast