PDA

View Full Version : Monroe: Ankle likely to shelve Spurs' Parker

duncan228
01-28-2010, 01:12 AM
Ankle likely to shelve Spurs' Parker (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/Ankle_likely_to_shelve_Spurs_Parker.html)
Mike Monroe

The Spurs won't know until today or Friday how long Tony Parker will be out with another left ankle sprain, but Manu Ginobili offered a hint.

“Tony said it wasn't so bad, but he will probably miss a couple of games,” said Ginobili, one of three Spurs who will be asked to fill in at the point until the All-NBA guard returns.

Parker's ankle rolled as he drove to the basket with 2:29 remaining in the third quarter of the Spurs' 105-90 victory over the Atlanta Hawks at the AT&T Center.

X-rays taken at the arena were negative, but a timetable for Parker's return won't be established until he is re-examined by the team's medical staff.

Parker missed two games in November after mildly spraining the same ankle in a loss at Portland.

George Hill likely will start in Parker's absence, but Ginobili and Roger Mason Jr. are apt to get some time running the club, as well.

“George, for sure, will play the point,” Ginobili said, “but Roger and me will interchange, too and figure it out.”

Hill hopes his time as the primary point guard is minimal.

“I'm always ready,” he said. “It's happened before. The only thing I can do is pray for him to get healthy sooner than later so he can help us win ball games.”

Blair honored: Calling his selection to the NBA's Rookie Challenge on All-Star Weekend “a good honor,” Spurs rookie forward-center DeJuan Blair has a goal for the Feb. 12 rookie vs. sophomore competition at American Airlines Center in Dallas.

“I guess I'll see what the rebounding record in the rookie game is and try to go from there,” Blair said before grabbing nine rebounds against the Hawks.

“This wasn't a goal for me,” he said of the All-Star Weekend event. “My goal was just to play and do well. This is just a cherry on top, a nice bonus.”

Hill, averaging 10.0 points and 2.2 assists and a starter at shooting guard in the last two games, said he wasn't disappointed he was passed over for the sophomore team.

“I told myself I wasn't going to make it, so I was prepared,” Hill said. “I did my part. I think I've played good. I'm not mad. I'll take the weekend off.”

For the record, and Blair's benefit, the Bulls' Elton Brand set the mark with 21 rebounds in the 2000 Rookie Challenge.

Blair had 21 rebounds in the Spurs' 109-108 victory over Oklahoma City on Jan. 13.

Rumor mill: Asked before tipoff about a Yahoo! Sports report that the Spurs had “researched and debated” getting involved in the bidding for Suns All-Star center Amare Stoudemire, head coach Gregg Popovich said he had no knowledge of the report.

“What the heck is Yahoo?” Popovich said. “Is it one of those computer things? Is that like Twittering?

“It's that time of year, I guess. Trade deadline. Everybody's going to come up with something.”

League sources insist the Spurs have had no direct conversations whatever with the Suns about Stoudemire.

Kori Ellis
01-28-2010, 01:13 AM
“What the heck is Yahoo?” Popovich said. “Is it one of those computer things? Is that like Twittering?

:lmao

Chieflion
01-28-2010, 01:14 AM
I guess we can assume that Pop does not know about Spurstalk.

NRHector
01-28-2010, 01:18 AM
I guess we can assume that Pop does not know about Spurstalk.yes he does that's why he didn't go small ball tonight

EricB
01-28-2010, 01:19 AM
Pop knows what yahoo is. Don't be fooled...

HarlemHeat37
01-28-2010, 01:24 AM
That's also why Richard Jefferson had a good game tonight..he saw that thread about people being better than him..

Those comments from Manu are interesting..it sounds like they'll probably stick with Hill/Manu/Mason at PG..I would prefer that, I'm not really interested in the Spurs bringing in a "legit" PG to replace Parker..it also doesn't sound like a long-term injury(hopefully), so I'd stick with the current roster..

DesignatedT
01-28-2010, 01:27 AM
lmao pop

Bruno
01-28-2010, 01:37 AM
:rollin
Pop is a master when it comes to avoid complicating questions.

Man In Black
01-28-2010, 02:57 AM
Soviet Studies and Intelligence...CIA LIVES!

Fabbs
01-28-2010, 03:00 AM
Pop is so smart.
Some people thought he really dint know what Yahoo was.
Man Pop is smart.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
01-28-2010, 03:00 AM

:rollin
Pop is a master when it comes to avoid complicating questions.

Yup, Pop knows that the smartest thing to do is to play dumb. He learned that from Sun Tzu. :D

Bukefal
01-28-2010, 06:23 AM

“It's that time of year, I guess. Trade deadline. Everybody's going to come up with something.”

:rollin Pop is awesome!

intothechaos
01-28-2010, 07:22 AM
Pop is a yahoo.......

urunobili
01-28-2010, 07:39 AM
another :pop: legendary qoute :lmao

Bartleby
01-28-2010, 08:00 AM
George Hill likely will start in Parker's absence, but Ginobili and Roger Mason Jr. are apt to get some time running the club, as well.

:bang

Spur|n|Austin
01-28-2010, 08:30 AM
:pop:

ATRAIN
01-28-2010, 09:29 AM
I guess we can assume that Pop does not know about Spurstalk.

Do any players know about Spurstalk? If they do I bet they hate Sequ and others.

AFBlue
01-28-2010, 11:35 AM
"I guess I'll see what the rebounding record in the rookie game is and try to go from there,” Blair said before grabbing nine rebounds against the Hawks.

Love it!

ffadicted
01-28-2010, 11:43 AM
George Hill checks spurstalk every day I hear

TimDunkem
01-28-2010, 11:48 AM
:bang
You seriously think RMJ is a poor 4th string (now 3rd) point guard? :lol Might as well sign Jason Hart, or maybe bring back Jacque Vaughn!

LongtimeSpursFan
01-28-2010, 12:03 PM
yes he does that's why he didn't go small ball tonight

LOL. Fans actually think Pop would care what fans say about coaching.

NRHector
01-28-2010, 12:08 PM
LOL. Fans actually think Pop would care what fans say about coaching.I was just being sarcastic I know he doesn't

hater
01-28-2010, 12:11 PM

holy shit. Pop is a PIMP

hater
01-28-2010, 12:12 PM

really??? thanks for clearing that up for us

Mel_13
01-28-2010, 05:42 PM
Tony Parker is listed with a mild sprain and his ankle looks fine structurally. He will miss Friday's game. about 2 hours ago from TweetDeck

http://twitter.com/spurs

SAN ANTONIO -- San Antonio Spurs guard Tony Parker is expected to miss several games because of a mild left ankle sprain.

The Spurs said Thursday that the swelling in Parker's ankle was minimal after being carried off the court Wednesday night in a win over Atlanta. No structural damage was found.

Parker won't play Friday against Memphis and will also likely sit Sunday's game against Denver. No timetable for his return has been set.

Parker has been troubled by the same foot all season. He missed four games earlier because of another ankle sprain and has been bothered by plantar fascitis.

The injuries have cost Parker the quickness he had last season, when he was an All-Star and led the Spurs in scoring.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4866985

raspsa
01-28-2010, 07:24 PM
Funny how players react to pain. From initial feedback with Parker unable to walk to the lockerroom, it really seemed much worse.. my guess he's out a minimum of 2 weeks, possibly 3.

tomtom
01-28-2010, 07:54 PM
Pop is hillarious as ever

Baseline
01-28-2010, 08:07 PM
Pop: "What is smallball?"

Answer: That's when we lose.

z0sa
01-28-2010, 08:21 PM
really??? thanks for clearing that up for us

and Parker getting any rest is good. The shitty part of the schedule is upon us.

iminol
02-01-2010, 08:42 PM
Is there any POPOVICH QUOTES DATABASE? It would be a TREASURE, man!

Obstructed_View
02-02-2010, 05:46 AM
His "our defense is fine" quote after the Denver game was probably his funniest.