PDA

View Full Version : Harvey: Trade up: Popovich gets what he wanted

duncan228
01-28-2010, 01:13 AM
Trade up: Popovich gets what he wanted (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/Trade_up_Popovich_gets_what_he_wanted.html)
Buck Harvey

Gregg Popovich shrugged at the mention of Amare Stoudemire.

Trade? Popovich dismissed an Internet story as merely the season for speculation.

Besides, Popovich had other concerns. He was still working on his previous big-money, big-name trade. He was still trying to do something with another scorer not previously known for playing defense.

Which is why Wednesday mattered. For the first time in a while, Richard Jefferson looked to be exactly what Popovich always wanted him to be.

Jefferson has shown flashes, and sometimes brilliant ones. Earlier in the season, with both Tim Duncan and Tony Parker out against Dallas, Jefferson scored a season-high 29 points.

But that has been Jefferson's problem, too. His flashes have teased. After throwing in the game-winner in Oklahoma City earlier in the month, he mostly stood around and wasn't sure what to do next. The only game he missed in this stretch before Wednesday, then in New Orleans because of a sore back, is the only one the Spurs won.

In the last loss, to Chicago, he missed seven of eight shots, and the one he made was telling. Then he dunked behind his head.

That's Jefferson, ever showy — ever the opposite of the player who started at his spot for three championships. The rare Bruce Bowen dunk never made a highlight.

But Bowen moved his feet well, and he paid attention to every detail, and he squeezed everything he had out of his ability. So while many of the Spurs have struggled this season, Jefferson and his salary became the scapegoat.

Overpaid and underachieving — he isn't like the way the Spurs used to be, is he?

But Jefferson didn't give himself his contract, and he didn't trade himself to the Spurs. He also didn't trick anyone into thinking he had been anything different his entire career.

His highlights have always been more impressive than his body of work. His stats mushroomed with the Nets mostly because Jason Kidd threw lobs to him, and last season in Milwaukee better defined him.

Then, with both Michael Redd and Andrew Bogut injured, the Bucks wondered if Jefferson could step up. He couldn't.

The Spurs understood all of this when they traded for him. As it would be with Stoudemire if somehow that trade ever happened, the Spurs gambled.

But Popovich knew Jefferson from the 2004 Olympics, and he liked more than his physical ability. He knew Jefferson was coachable.

This is also what fascinates coaches more than anything they do. If they can take talent and reshape it into a winning form, well, nothing is more rewarding.

Popovich focused on one specific area. “We want to try and reawaken his earlier inclination,” he said before the season began, “to play some ‘D.'”

Popovich knew the change would take time. And along the way Popovich didn't question Jefferson's competitiveness as much as he was bothered by his sloppiness.

Jefferson says Popovich has stayed on him about everything. “He's been intense,” Jefferson said.

Wednesday night he was encouraging when, in the second quarter, Jefferson drove and ended up on the floor. Popovich was there, walking down the sideline and clapping.

Popovich was as positive after Jefferson missed a jumper. And late in the game, with the Hawks pulling closer, as opponents have done so often lately, Popovich inserted Jefferson into the lineup.

Popovich also accompanied Jefferson to the scorer's table, with an arm around him — then assigned him Atlanta's best scorer, Joe Johnson.

Jefferson stayed with the guard, proving his versatility. He'd earlier defended a 6-foot-11 athlete. And after Jefferson found his place among other Spurs scorers, and after he came up with a steal and fast-break pass, proving that talent does matter, Popovich made sure to commend him.

Nothing was said, then, about Stoudemire.

duhoh
01-28-2010, 01:20 AM
pop will continue to do his work. motivating a guy from a franchise that was used to losing.

he'll figure it out, and it'll be nice!

timvp
01-28-2010, 01:23 AM
Jefferson says Popovich has stayed on him about everything. “He's been intense,” Jefferson said.

Good news. Hopefully Pop is using the break him down to build him up technique.

Wednesday night he was encouraging when, in the second quarter, Jefferson drove and ended up on the floor. Popovich was there, walking down the sideline and clapping.

I think Pop's quote was "Way to take it to the hole, Richard!!"

EricB
01-28-2010, 01:23 AM
Yeah jefferson's d was a step in the right direction tonight. Here's to hoping he continues to make strides.

NRHector
01-28-2010, 01:24 AM
Manu was the one that did the steal that led to the fast-break not RJ

bigdog
01-28-2010, 01:24 AM
[B]Then, with both Michael Redd and Andrew Bogut injured, the Bucks wondered if Jefferson could step up. He couldn't.

Really? Did Buck not watch Jefferson in the 2nd half of last season? He beasted for Milwaukee when they got the injury bug.

DesignatedT
01-28-2010, 01:37 AM

word. but rj got credit for it. heads up play by both guys.

HarlemHeat37
01-28-2010, 01:39 AM
Jefferson was solid tonight..he played good D(Joe Johnson made some tough shots though, give him credit), he actually contributed in other ways than his scoring, and he attacked the rim well for the most part..

If he plays with the effort he played with tonight, I'll be happy..

EricB
01-28-2010, 01:41 AM
Yeah some of Johnson shots boguns and Jefferson were right on him and he still made it. Johnson is just crazy good. Nice move there Phoenix....

NFGIII
01-28-2010, 02:02 AM
Yeah jefferson's d was a step in the right direction tonight. Here's to hoping he continues to make strides.

Absolutely. If he continues in this direction then that would solve some of our problems. We'll see what happens next. He has been frustrating to watch at times considering his talent and to just settle repeatedly for jumpshots. :smchode:

DesignatedT
01-28-2010, 02:09 AM
Jefferson played a good game tonight. still , i feel like he got "content" or lackadaisical in the 2nd half.

I really liked the way he attacked the rim and created for others in the first half.

his defense was solid tonight. he deserves credit.

01-28-2010, 02:13 AM
this was the first time this season i liked jefferson's defense. sadly, this is more of an anomaly than a trend. let's see if he can keep this up.

TD 21
01-28-2010, 02:27 AM
Jefferson was solid tonight..he played good D(Joe Johnson made some tough shots though, give him credit), he actually contributed in other ways than his scoring, and he attacked the rim well for the most part..

If he plays with the effort he played with tonight, I'll be happy..

Johnson is exactly the type of player Jefferson should be able to guard effectively. Big, power wings, who aren't overly athletic/explosive off the dribble. With Parker out and Hill now playing exclusively PG and being counted on for 30+ mpg upcoming, he can no longer be used to guard top opposition wings, for exactly what we saw in the first half tonight: the risk of foul trouble. This means, aside from Bogans, Jefferson will have to start guarding some of these guys. He was brought in to do this. Yeah, he's not a stopper and he lacks exceptional lateral quickness, but there's no reason he can't guard Johnson, Pierce, Anthony, even James, etc. at least as well as Bogans or Hill can. It also means small ball is likely gone for the time being (no Parker, no Finley, no Hairston, which leaves five perimeter players total).

Sean Cagney
01-28-2010, 02:43 AM
I wish Jefferson the best, he is a good guy and wants to fit in so bad! He will find and he will do alot better for us! Trust me he will. The hate for him is bad now at times, but he will get there and find his role and we will soar later on.

hsxvvd
01-28-2010, 02:54 AM
14 million a year, it'd better be intense.

SenorSpur
01-28-2010, 03:08 AM
Pop is clearly working RJ from a different angle. It really worked out tonight. Hope it works out, going forward. RJ seems to be a good guy.

timvp
01-28-2010, 03:21 AM
Really? Did Buck not watch Jefferson in the 2nd half of last season? He beasted for Milwaukee when they got the injury bug.

Good point. RJ was a stud last year in the second half of the season.

Fabbs
01-28-2010, 03:30 AM
Good news. Hopefully Pop is using the break him down to build him up technique.
It's really worked well outside of Tony Parker. And its only been all camp and 40 games. People should give Pop a break. He's won 4 titles you know. Breaking people down is really cool and manly. Pop is the best. He's Bull Meechum in the movie The Great Santini. We all like bull.

I don't think 6 time all star big Amare Stoudamire is going to help us. I think Pop is gonna break down and build up Jefferson.
Go bull!

BOHOLANO#21
01-28-2010, 07:59 AM
God damn it RJ. 14 million a year can't make you intense? WTF?

wildbill2u
01-28-2010, 08:16 AM
God damn it RJ. 14 million a year can't make you intense? WTF?

Some players begin to take all that money and fame as their right without any obligation to play with focus and energy than the claimers on the bench who often play with more intensity because they have to in order to stay on a team or in a minor rotation role.

temujin
01-28-2010, 08:28 AM
Some players begin to take all that money and fame as their right without any obligation to play with focus and energy than the claimers on the bench who often play with more intensity because they have to in order to stay on a team or in a minor rotation role.

That's where the coach steps in and makes EXTREMELY clear that he will bench the 14 million guy for good, and eventually ruin the rest of his career, if he doesn't play defense and spit blood on the floor.

As simple as that.

benefactor
01-28-2010, 10:14 AM
Having the Jefferson and McDyess the Spurs had last night will go a long way towards fixing the problems they have dealt with thus far. That sequence where Jefferson got the steal late in the game and got out on the break with Hill was one of the best plays I have seen him make all year. It's also good to hear that Pop is continuing to push him. Pop has been beating the mental lapses out of players for years...and because of his potential to be a game changer for the Spurs no player needs it more than Jefferson.

These next five games are important for Jefferson. Every second he is on the floor he needs to be focused on both ends. He has shown he can be in stretches, but the time for half efforts is over. He has got to break through his basketball ADD and bring the complete game he has shown he his more than capable of bringing.

SpurNation
01-28-2010, 10:46 AM
It took people like Horry, Finley, Barry, etc. at least a year to play effectively in this system. It shouldn't come as a suprise that it might take Jefferson time as well.

And I can understand the frustration of RJ not producing compared to the $$$ he is making. Hopefully in the near future...Sometime this season...He actually starts "earning" his salary and not just depositing a paycheck.

It's been done before and then again there have been busts as well. But this time...the amount being paid to Jefferson, (as well as the team's shrinking window of opportunity), compared to those other players mentioned, makes it almost imparitive he starts contibuting at a higher level sooner.

ohmwrecker
01-28-2010, 11:09 AM
It took people like Horry, Finley, Barry, etc. at least a year to play effectively in this system. It shouldn't come as a suprise that it might take Jefferson time as well.

I can't think of a single Spurs player, outside of Duncan, that did not frustrate the hell out of me in their first year with the team. It's got to be even harder for a truly skilled player like Jefferson. He isn't comfortable enough to go over the big three and the system when he feels like he should. He is working in the system and deferring to the big three, which he should, but he should also have the green light to just let go and play ball. It's a comfort level that we are only seeing flashes of.

ffadicted
01-28-2010, 11:34 AM
Good to hear Pop is not senile yet, and still knows what's going on lol. Hopefully he can get it going before the playoffs start

sananspursfan21
01-28-2010, 04:52 PM
huh. what if pop himself started the amare rumor lol.

sananspursfan21
01-28-2010, 04:56 PM
i think we were just expecting way too much from jefferson. i honestly didn't expect him to average 16 a game for sa. i didn't think he could play defense originally. then everybody who hyped him up kinda got my attention and i started thinking he was the savior for the team. last night he did exactly what i originally expected and everything he should be doing. we as fans shouldn't give up on him bc WE expect so much. i know he's overpaid but san antonio knew what they were getting into

pjjrfan
01-28-2010, 06:12 PM

Yeah that's what I saw although RJ's pass was a pretty good play, but Manu made that play by tapping the ball away from that guy.

DPG21920
01-28-2010, 06:19 PM
The signs from last night were encouraging. He is still too passive, but that is probably not going to change. But he can bring the intensity and championship type focus. He has done that before and hopefully he can do that again.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
01-28-2010, 06:24 PM
I thought RJ's defense of JJ in the 4th was really good - he harried and frustrated Johnson into tossing up 3 misses (I think) and generally did a good job. Hopefully he can move forward from here, although we have been saying that all season. Maybe the RRT will really bring him into the fold?